PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Pass Interference, Torrey Smith!!!!

PeterC042
11-08-2011, 07:21 AM
This call was bull dinky! I agree 100% with this article (http://thexlog.com/201111080825/xtra-point-football/nfl/offensive-pass-interference-torrey-smith/). I'm so frustrated!

BKAnthem
11-08-2011, 07:27 AM
They were both Pushing and Shoving...dude just made a play...

Nevermore
11-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Don't hate the playa.... Hate the game!

SteelCityMom
11-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Don't hate the playa.... Hate the game!

Haha! Too true.

I think the PI rules (or at least they way they are enforced now) are pure bullshit (for a number of obvious reasons). And whatever happened to the uncatchable ball rule? I remember that they would toss out the PI calls if the ball was deemed to be completely out of range. That seems to have gone out the window.

It also doesn't make sense to me that you can knock another players head off, or punch a guy in the face and you get a 15 yard penalty. Grab a guys arm a little too much in the endzone, and it can be 20, 30, 40 yard penalties and ball on the 1. Goodell just wants more scoring....just BS IMO.

Goodell is ruining this game, no doubt. I don't want the kind of injuries that my Father and Grandfather were accustomed to seeing in their days....but having a strong, physical defense is almost a weakness at times (when it comes to penalties).

Nevermore
11-08-2011, 08:27 AM
I think that PI gets called too much. Part of the game is jockying for the ball. If it is flagrant, then of course, but I really think the type of hand jousting that was going on in the end zone there should have been a no call on both sides. It gets called enough now that I think everyone expects it and PI becomes a bit like flopping in soccer. Everyone always gets up lobbying for the flag, and I think 50% of the time they actually convince the ref. Whatever. I think the best thing would actually be to go to the college rule where you only get 15 yards or the spot of the foul if shorter than that. Why should you get 50 yards because the CB got tangled with you? As Torry Smith showed earlier, even when you are wide open in the endzone and the ball drops in your hands, there is no guarantee you catch it!

SteelCityMom
11-08-2011, 08:32 AM
I think that PI gets called too much. Part of the game is jockying for the ball. If it is flagrant, then of course, but I really think the type of hand jousting that was going on in the end zone there should have been a no call on both sides. It gets called enough now that I think everyone expects it and PI becomes a bit like flopping in soccer. Everyone always gets up lobbying for the flag, and I think 50% of the time they actually convince the ref. Whatever. I think the best thing would actually be to go to the college rule where you only get 15 yards or the spot of the foul if shorter than that. Why should you get 50 yards because the CB got tangled with you? As Torry Smith showed earlier, even when you are wide open in the endzone and the ball drops in your hands, there is no guarantee you catch it!

Yeah...I could definitely get behind that rule.

I just get so irate and almost expect a flag after every dropped pass anymore. And like you said, the players don't make it any better either.

I still love this sport...but I hate that it's starting to make me more and more bitter every year. Goodell took what wasn't broken, shoved it up his ass and screwed it. :banging:

IowaSteeler927
11-08-2011, 09:36 AM
It was most definitely Offensive Pass Interference by NFL rules. They were both playing handsy at the start of the play but Gay did nothing to impede how Smith ran his route, nor did he blindly put his hands on him without looking for the ball. The fact of the matter is Torrey Smith would've had a chance to catch the ball regardless of whether he pushed off or not but he pushed off and that's what made it nice and easy for him. By the rules the Offensive player cannot do that.

They basically called pass interference on William Gay for being present in the endzone and getting shoved by Smith and that's bullshit. At the very least it should've been offsetting penalties in which case it would of been a replay of the down.

SteelCityMom
11-08-2011, 10:00 AM
It was most definitely Offensive Pass Interference by NFL rules. They were both playing handsy at the start of the play but Gay did nothing to impede how Smith ran his route, nor did he blindly put his hands on him without looking for the ball. The fact of the matter is Torrey Smith would've had a chance to catch the ball regardless of whether he pushed off or not but he pushed off and that's what made it nice and easy for him. By the rules the Offensive player cannot do that.

They basically called pass interference on William Gay for being present in the endzone and getting shoved by Smith and that's bullshit. At the very least it should've been offsetting penalties in which case it would of been a replay of the down.

You could tell the refs were all confused about it too, because at first they were calling for a replay of the down. :chuckle:

It's like this is some kind of joke for them any more.

MasterOfPuppets
11-08-2011, 10:50 AM
http://r0.sgsr.us/imgs/250/dc64.gif

Fire Arians
11-08-2011, 10:54 AM
yep that was PI and if gay was flagged for PI, the foul should have been spotted at the 10-15 yard line where he was putting a hand on smith. in the endzone the contact was all by smith.

but no sense talking about it now, it's a done deal.

Opt2loc
11-08-2011, 11:01 AM
Wasn't there an incidental contact rule that prevented the PI call if the defender is going for the ball. I don't hear that called anymore. I could see if a player is blatently interfering. I would like to see the players jockying around each other, making a little contact to get a better position on the ball.

RatbirdExtreme
11-08-2011, 10:36 PM
If you saw the postgame press conference (which, well, most of you understandably didnt) Smith admits as much. He said he saw the flag out of the corner of his eye, at which point he gave him a "nudge". Thats exactly how he got that open.

Which for me is not bad presence of mind for a rookie, and for you is blatant OPI.

madtowndrunkard
11-08-2011, 10:52 PM
That call likely has decided the division champ. That's just a fact. 1 horrible call by the refs and the Ravens will likely win the division because of it. Yet there's no out rage from anyone?

I don't care if you are a steeler fan or not. Other then Raven fan, the rest of the NFL should be irate that it's likely a division was decided by a ref and NOT the players on the field. That sucks no matter who you are cheering for.

Sixburgher
11-08-2011, 11:07 PM
That call likely has decided the division champ. That's just a fact. 1 horrible call by the refs and the Ravens will likely win the division because of it. Yet there's no out rage from anyone?

I don't care if you are a steeler fan or not. Other then Raven fan, the rest of the NFL should be irate that it's likely a division was decided by a ref and NOT the players on the field. That sucks no matter who you are cheering for.

Shouldn't have come to that in the first place. Don't be a Seahawks fan.

madtowndrunkard
11-08-2011, 11:11 PM
Shouldn't have come to that in the first place. Don't be a Seahawks fan.

Seahawk fan was crying about a bunch of calls that were actually correct. The few questionable calls in that game didn't decide it. Big difference. His blatant push off allowed him to catch the winning TD w/ 9 seconds on the clock.

Yea had other opportunities to put the dagger in. But every opportunity counts... as much as the play that decided the game.

tony hipchest
11-08-2011, 11:31 PM

lol... you think balt is done shitting the bed like they did vs TENN, JAX, & AZ? they think they already secured a SB berth. they wont even show up in seattle and get their asses handed to them. They will lose to the chargers, and atleast once to cincy.

all the steeler gotta do is win out and the division and #1 seed in the playoffs is theirs

StainlessStill
11-08-2011, 11:40 PM
lol... you think balt is done shitting the bed like they did vs TENN, JAX, & AZ? they think they already secured a SB berth. they wont even show up in seattle and get their asses handed to them. They will lose to the chargers, and atleast once to cincy.

all the steeler gotta do is win out and the division and #1 seed in the playoffs is theirs

Baltimore WILL lose 2 more this season & we may not lose another. Mark my words.

tony hipchest
11-08-2011, 11:49 PM
i laugh at the steelerfans who have more faith in baltimore than the black and gold. they actually think the refs are gonna keep bailing the ratbirds out by giving them 3 - 4 pass interference flags in the endzone every game.

pete74
11-09-2011, 04:55 AM
man you guys complain when other teams talk this crap on us then you turn around and do the same thing. i still hear people on this board making fun of the seahawks for blaming there loss on the refs then you do the same thing. we lost, get over it. it goes both ways

stb_steeler
11-09-2011, 09:21 AM
man you guys complain when other teams talk this crap on us then you turn around and do the same thing. i still hear people on this board making fun of the seahawks for blaming there loss on the refs then you do the same thing. we lost, get over it. it goes both ways

Good point pete.....Also its not like our team ever got away with it either!

Stallion
11-09-2011, 09:33 AM

Smith was wide open two plays before and luckily dropped the ball. On the final TD both players were pushing...it's Football! The problem was our D couldn't hold them on 3rd downs the entire game and the 80 yards they gave up prior to the final TD pass. :banging:

FattyBeanDip
11-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Smith was basically held up and down 2 plays prior and *still* almost made the circus catch in the end zone with some remarkable concentration, so I'd stop all your lame crying and just take the big, fat loss and suck it up. That prior play would have been flagged without any question for offensive pass interference had the official seen it. Torrey Smith displayed some real veteran play for a rookie just shaking it off, getting out there and getting it done. Doesn't cry like a baby like Roethlisberger or Shampoo Boy just because the receiver rubbed up against their jersey and made a play. Smith made an outstanding play, you guys lost like dogs ... just suck it up and move on.

StainlessStill
11-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Smith was basically held up and down 2 plays prior and *still* almost made the circus catch in the end zone with some remarkable concentration, so I'd stop all your lame crying and just take the big, fat loss and suck it up. That prior play would have been flagged without any question for offensive pass interference had the official seen it. Torrey Smith displayed some real veteran play for a rookie just shaking it off, getting out there and getting it done. Doesn't cry like a baby like Roethlisberger or Shampoo Boy just because the receiver rubbed up against their jersey and made a play. Smith made an outstanding play, you guys lost like dogs ... just suck it up and move on.

How can we move on when you pricks feel the need to make new user-names and come out of the woodwork to keep egging on the subject? In MY mind, the loss is over and done with, this isn't the first time we lost to your guys in the midst of the PLETHORA of owning you. It's mostly the way you acted afterwards and the traffic coming from Rat fans like you that's igniting the same old arguments. As I said, keep chirping and keep feeling the need to pound your chest here while you can because this won't be the last you see of us. It just isn't so we'll see if you show your big mouths after round III when we take care of you when it counts. Until then, all you ass's should be banned, just how your pathetic boards would ban us if we resulted into trolling 3 days after the game.

FattyBeanDip
11-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Damn ... I must have hit a nerve.

Dude, don't be so bitter, I'm merely stating what happened in the game. No need to get all hot and bothered about it. It's just a game after all, eh?

Btw - funny about winning when it counts. Hate to be the one to inform you ... but getting swept in the division against your arch rival and having to play on their home turf if you're lucky enough to get there - *counts*.

Roethlisberger isn't on record as saying ravens stadium is his absolute least favorite place to play football for nothing.

Plus I just have to admit it ... seeing all those pathetic, over-priced terrible towels go limp and 65 thousand screaming fans go silent in the very same instant was absolutely spectacular! Too bad we won't be able to see that again this season.

See you guys in January (unless you get knocked off) in Baltimore!

SteelCityMom
11-09-2011, 03:15 PM

Dude, don't be so bitter, I'm merely stating what happened in the game. No need to get all hot and bothered about it. It's just a game after all, eh?

Btw - funny about winning when it counts. Hate to be the one to inform you ... but getting swept in the division against your arch rival and having to play on their home turf if you're lucky enough to get there - *counts*.

Roethlisberger isn't on record as saying ravens stadium is his absolute least favorite place to play football for nothing.

Plus I just have to admit it ... seeing all those pathetic, over-priced terrible towels go limp and 65 thousand screaming fans go silent in the very same instant was absolutely spectacular! Too bad we won't be able to see that again this season.

Yeah...it really counts in the long run! If it counted that much, the Ravens would have won the SB in '06.

At any rate, your troll ass is banned. You guys really need to get a life already.

stb_steeler
11-09-2011, 03:24 PM
God.....i thought the Bungles,Browns,Seadawg fans were bad, but some of these people signing up to the board just to rub it in is really classy.......:doh:

StainlessStill
11-09-2011, 03:28 PM

Hit a nerve? What? Finally admitting your stay here is to do nothing but to troll? You're here to talk about the game then go onto say how wonderful it was to see those "pathetic" towels go limp? What a goon! Worst poster ever. Again, keep thumping your chest like you have the division won! You don't you dumbass's!

The Steelers are FAR from eliminated out of the division race just yet. It's not nerve-hitting, just trying to wake you pathetic's up by bringing it to your attention that your entire rotten fanbase can be the one's silenced and completely embarrassed and butt hurt if the Ravens teams that lost to the Titans and Jaguars show up!

Glad to see all you Ratturd fans coming out of the woodwork to finally feel what it's like to beat us. I'm happy we are as important as anything to you guys within the NFL! Shows how much of a b!tch you really are to us. Fortunately for us, there's still room later on down the road to knock you off your hot-air balloon's and the pedestal you've just created for yourselves because it'll be so hilarious to see you Rat's fall right back off your temporary high-horse and claim embarrassment. This sweep was nothing but a fluke & the Ravens and their fans' actions over a middle-season win proves how tormented you really are by us.

Buddha Bus
11-09-2011, 03:29 PM
God.....i thought the Bungles,Browns,Seadawg fans were bad, but some of these people signing up to the board just to rub it in is really classy.......:doh:

Cut them some slack, stb. It breaks up the monotony of them rubbing their own pussies now that they actually have something they are not used to.... a win against the Steelers.

SteelCityMom
11-09-2011, 03:32 PM
I almost feel bad for some of them. Lowering themselves to the standards of Bengals and Browns fans must suck ass.

Buddha Bus
11-09-2011, 03:40 PM
I almost feel bad for some of them. Lowering themselves to the standards of Bengals and Browns fans must suck ass.

I thought Ravens fans WERE Browns fans?!? :hunch:

:wink02: :sofunny:

ggoldman
11-09-2011, 04:03 PM
If my team lost to the Seahawks the week after they won their "super bowl" I would kill myself. Remember what happened against the Titans, Ratbird fans? Well that is GOING to happen again. The Steelers do their celebrating in February, and not in September and November

stb_steeler
11-09-2011, 04:11 PM
Cut them some slack, stb. It breaks up the monotony of them rubbing their own pussies now that they actually have something they are not used to.... a win against the Steelers.

Yeah your rite, but to sign up just to talk wasted thoughts is pointless in my book!
Like some said on here earlier, we wouldnt last on their boards.....:coffee:

stb_steeler
11-09-2011, 04:12 PM
How can we move on when you pricks feel the need to make new user-names and come out of the woodwork to keep egging on the subject? In MY mind, the loss is over and done with, this isn't the first time we lost to your guys in the midst of the PLETHORA of owning you. It's mostly the way you acted afterwards and the traffic coming from Rat fans like you that's igniting the same old arguments. As I said, keep chirping and keep feeling the need to pound your chest here while you can because this won't be the last you see of us. It just isn't so we'll see if you show your big mouths after round III when we take care of you when it counts. Until then, all you ass's should be banned, just how your pathetic boards would ban us if we resulted into trolling 3 days after the game.

Dude....he's banned he cant hear you...........:wink02:

1/28/01
11-09-2011, 04:23 PM
They were both Pushing and Shoving...dude just made a play...

This 10 times over....he was held, they jostled at bit and Smith broke away with a slight arm push. I'd be more pissed at the angle Mr. Clark took. What was that?

1/28/01
11-09-2011, 04:25 PM
If my team lost to the Seahawks the week after they won their "super bowl" I would kill myself. Remember what happened against the Titans, Ratbird fans? Well that is GOING to happen again. The Steelers do their celebrating in February, and not in September and November

The SB talk is just dumb. Two well played games and the Ravens were victorious in both. Stop using "it was their SB" as an excuse. Its kind of lame!

jmike
11-09-2011, 04:25 PM

See you guys in January (unless you get knocked off) in Baltimore!I know that he's already banned, but I really feel the need to point out that since 1996 all Terrible Towel proceeds have gone to help a school which provides care for more than 900 people with mental retardation and physical disabilities.

I know it's a symbol of the Steelers, but calling it overpriced is akin to saying sending money to a charity is stupid. :banging:

Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrible_Towel#Rights.2C_marketing_and_proceeds)

Buddha Bus
11-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Yeah your rite, but to sign up just to talk wasted thoughts is pointless in my book!
Like some said on here earlier, we wouldnt last on their boards.....:coffee:

Being a Raven fan at all is pointless in mine. :chuckle:

I wouldn't WANT to last on their boards. Unlike them, I have a life and don't feel the need to go and chest-thump on another team's message board about a couple of regular season wins like my team just won the "Super Bowl of the Universe". There's still a lot of football left to be played.

If you can show me a Raven fan out there that claims his drawers aren't full of shit if they see us a third time come the playoffs, I'll show you a trembling, smelly liar with a wet spot on the front of their skirt. :wink02:

SteelCityMom
11-09-2011, 04:31 PM
This 10 times over....he was held, they jostled at bit and Smith broke away with a slight arm push. I'd be more pissed at the angle Mr. Clark took. What was that?

He was attempting to knock the ball out while delivering a hard hit. If anything, I'd call what he did launching or spearing cause I think it's a stretch to say it was helmet to helmet. Some of what is deemed as helmet to helmet has gotten beyond ridiculous IMO.

While I love Clarks gritty attitude and play at times, this isn't the first time he's been caught doing this.

Sixburgher
11-09-2011, 04:31 PM
The SB talk is just dumb. Two well played games and the Ravens were victorious in both. Stop using "it was their SB" as an excuse. Its kind of lame!

Then tell the Ravens players to show a little restraint and stop treating it like one. Didn't see Tomlin get a Gatorade bath after finally beating the Patriots, did you? A Gatorade bath after a week 9 win? THAT is what's lame.

StainlessStill
11-09-2011, 05:42 PM
Then tell the Ravens players to show a little restraint and stop treating it like one. Didn't see Tomlin get a Gatorade bath after finally beating the Patriots, did you? A Gatorade bath after a week 9 win? THAT is what's lame.

Does this dude you're replying to NOT see the unflappable and non-stop traffic this Ravens victory caused regarding Rat fans? They were signing up in BUNDLES to come over here and gloat about how it's all over and to push the buttons of Steelers Fever. It's actions like that, that completely take all their credibility away. I would give them all the rights in the world if they A.) Won the division B.) Clinched a playoff spot or C.) Beat us in the playoffs. Other than that, it was week 9 and only are hanging on by a thread with 7 games to go! Plenty of time to slip up! These people are dumber than Bungles fans.

1/28/01
11-10-2011, 09:08 AM
He was attempting to knock the ball out while delivering a hard hit. If anything, I'd call what he did launching or spearing cause I think it's a stretch to say it was helmet to helmet. Some of what is deemed as helmet to helmet has gotten beyond ridiculous IMO.

While I love Clarks gritty attitude and play at times, this isn't the first time he's been caught doing this.

I meant the angle he took on the last TD. The hit on Dickson was a good hit and shouldnt have warranted a fine. Now, the idiotic comments after he was fined are what make Clark (Steelers as a whole) a target. He needs to holster the "I might as was well blow his knee out" comments a bit!

1/28/01
11-10-2011, 09:09 AM

Theres no denying that both games were huge wins for the Ravens (for whoever would have won). Did they go overboard, perhaps. Doenst mean "it was the Ravens SB". Thats just dumb!!!!

SteelCityMom
11-10-2011, 11:48 AM
I meant the angle he took on the last TD. The hit on Dickson was a good hit and shouldnt have warranted a fine. Now, the idiotic comments after he was fined are what make Clark (Steelers as a whole) a target. He needs to holster the "I might as was well blow his knee out" comments a bit!

Oh ok, got ya. Yeah, I've got no explanation for that one lol.

As for his comments, they were a bit over the top, but I think most get what his meaning was. The fact that Tomlin is speaking out about his fine though should say a lot. He's not one to even bring out a shred of emotion over things like this (not in public at least). I understand both their frustrations.