PDA

View Full Version : Am I wrong for being annoyed by "Black and Yellow" chants?

Big Daddy Beast
11-08-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm new and did try searching for a thread on this first, so please point one out to me if there is one.

I love the Black and Gold and get irritated by declarations of Black and Yellow. Study up on it- we're gold, not yellow. Just because it's not a metallic gold such as the Saints or Fighting Irish wear doesn't it's not gold. Yes, we have yellow in the logo, but by that logic people should say "Black and gold...with red, blue and yellow."

I can't help but feel that anyone who says "Black and Yellow" is nothing more than a band-wagoner inspired by an insipid song.

Do I make too big of a deal over such a minute detail or am I correct in my being bothered over this?

FanSince72
11-08-2011, 11:12 AM
I'm new and did try searching for a thread on this first, so please point one out to me if there is one.

I love the Black and Gold and get irritated by declarations of Black and Yellow. Study up on it- we're gold, not yellow. Just because it's not a metallic gold such as the Saints or Fighting Irish wear doesn't it's not gold. Yes, we have yellow in the logo, but by that logic people should say "Black and gold...with red, blue and yellow."

I can't help but feel that anyone who says "Black and Yellow" is nothing more than a band-wagoner inspired by an insipid song.

Do I make too big of a deal over such a minute detail or am I correct in my being bothered over this?

LOL!

I feel the same way when people say that they're "going golfing" instead of saying that they're going to "play golf".

To me it's always been "Black and Gold" and that's that.

If someone wants to say Black and Yellow that's up to them, but it IS irritating.

SoCalFan
11-08-2011, 11:31 AM
I thought it was stupid when the rap song/videp was released! So no,your not alone!

Fire Arians
11-08-2011, 11:43 AM
hey i like the song :)

i can understand why the older generation hates it though, rap isn't their thing

besides wiz isn't a bandwagoner, isn't he from PA?

Big Daddy Beast
11-08-2011, 11:50 AM
hey i like the song :)

i can understand why the older generation hates it though, rap isn't their thing

besides wiz isn't a bandwagoner, isn't he from PA?
Actually I'm a fan to this day of NWA , Ice Cube [solo], Too Short, Geto Boys, ect and later on DMX and Jurassic 5 ...so it's not the genre, it's that song. Wait, maybe it does have something to do with the genre considering how far back my fandom goes with nothing more recent.

Nope, I just hate people saying the wrong color.

Yeah, he is from Pittsburgh, which makes his confusion on the color scheme even more obnoxious.

Fire Arians
11-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Actually I'm a fan to this day of NWA , Ice Cube [solo], Too Short, Geto Boys, ect and later on DMX and Jurassic 5 ...so it's not the genre, it's that song. Wait, maybe it does have something to do with the genre considering how far back my fandom goes with nothing more recent.

Yeah, he is from Pittsburgh, which makes his confusion on the color scheme even more obnoxious.

probably just yellow went better with the beat than gold is my guess, i wondered the same thing too tbh

Big Daddy Beast
11-08-2011, 11:58 AM
probably just yellow went better with the beat than gold is my guess, i wondered the same thing too tbh

Possibly. I'm really not bothered by him making the song and it becoming a hit as much as I am by supposed fans of the Steelers calling out Black and Yellow when it's been Black and Gold since their inception, minus one season.

It almost feels like people being led around by the nose when they say it.

Again, I could be making too much of it.

steelfury02
11-08-2011, 12:03 PM
without coming across as a jerk, I've been informed by friends that are "with it" that while there is the obvious love given to the Steelers,the city and Pittsburgh sports in general, "Black and Yellow" is equally about "looking fresh" in black clothes and the gold "bling" and enjoying women who wear this look

I'm about as "with it" as Vanilla Ice but I do like the song - def. has an old-school look/feel to it and Khalifa's style reminds me of the days of NWA/Easy E/Cube/Dre and Snoop,etc,etc - about 1987 to 1995, oh those days were off the "hizzy" lol

Thanks - just enjoying making fun of myself:chuckle:

Danny136200
11-08-2011, 03:25 PM

It has to do with the flow of the song. Saying black and gold does not sound as good as saying black and yellow.

SoCalFan
11-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Snoop Dogg says Black & Gold in several songs,he knows whats up! and like me,hes from the WEST!!! Just sayin!!!

tunes4life
11-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Yes that does annoy me too. Almost as much of the usage of the terms 'next' and 'last' in the English language. If its Monday and you say 'next tuesday' it means 8 days from now (it skips the 'next' one) - If it's Monday and you say 'next Saturday' it means the one immediately following. Why does it skip a week sometimes? How many dates have been destroyed by the ambiguity?!? WTF am I babbling about?!?

SteelCityMom
11-08-2011, 04:12 PM
Yes that does annoy me too. Almost as much of the usage of the terms 'next' and 'last' in the English language. If its Monday and you say 'next tuesday' it means 8 days from now (it skips the 'next' one) - If it's Monday and you say 'next Saturday' it means the one immediately following. Why does it skip a week sometimes? How many dates have been destroyed by the ambiguity?!? WTF am I babbling about?!?

:rofl: I have no clue! I always say "this" Saturday and "next" Saturday. If someone misunderstands me it's their own damn fault. :chuckle:

Bayz101
11-08-2011, 10:40 PM
A lot of people say Black and yellow as opposed to black and gold. Although Black and gold is what we are, we've been called a vast array of things. People forget that we've been called hornets by people for years. Just like the terrible towel, one guy thinks of something, and it sticks for years to come.

As for the song. Jerome Bettis referred to the Steelers as "Black and yellow" in 2004, so it isn't just him. Black and yellow clearly fits the beat better.

As for me? BLACK AND GOLD :tt03: