PDA

View Full Version : Ben Speaks

83-Steelers-43
06-15-2006, 05:22 PM
Roethlisberger issues statement
Thursday, June 15, 2006

Ben Roethlisberger was released from Mercy Hospital shortly before midnight on Thursday, less than three full days after being transported there by paramedics after a motorcycle accident.

Now continuing his recuperation at home with his family at his side, Roethlisberger issued the following statement:

"In the past few days, I have gained new perspective on life. By the grace of God, I am fortunate to be alive, surrounded by loved ones and lifted by the prayers and support of so many. I am sorry for any anxiety and concern my actions have caused others, specifically my family, the Steelers organization, my teammates and our fans.

"I recognize that I have a responsibility to safeguard my health in the offseason so I can continue to lead our team effectively. I never meant any harm to others nor to break any laws. I was confident in my ability to ride a motorcycle and simply believed such an accident would not happen to me. If I ever ride again, it certainly will be with a helmet.

"My deepest appreciation goes out to the Steelers organization and my teammates for the compassion they have shown me. The physicians and support staff at Mercy Hospital were simply amazing, and I will forever be grateful for their caring treatment.

"I want to assure everyone I am committed to a complete and timely recovery. I look forward to being at training camp in Latrobe and to winning football games this season."

http://media3.steelers.com/article/65307/

SteelerDan43
06-15-2006, 05:38 PM
Great to hear

theropodx
06-15-2006, 06:13 PM
Man, this is great to hear. I'm sorry, but I was anxious to hear which way he might go. He took the high road with this statement, and I hope he sticks to it. Way to go, Ben!

CAH
06-15-2006, 06:16 PM
Welcome to the world of the living, Ben.

Hmmm He didn't say one word that he received an e-mail from me.

Prosdo
06-15-2006, 06:45 PM
Nice to hear something from Ben. Can't wait to see him back in action!

melroseplace
06-15-2006, 06:51 PM
sounds like he's got the right attitude

TasmanianTroy271
06-15-2006, 07:08 PM
But is he gonna go toothless? that's what I want to know.

83-Steelers-43
06-15-2006, 07:17 PM
"If I ever ride again, it certainly will be with a helmet."

That part of the statement concerns me. This time around how about we wait until after we retire to ride again? That's great that you will wear a helmet if you decide to ride again during your career, but I don't see how a helmet protects both of your knees from being broken or your spine cracking in half. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but please just put the damn thing away until after your financially stable and your career in the NFL is over and done with.

Prosdo
06-15-2006, 07:22 PM
I don't think he will be riding for quite a while.

83-Steelers-43
06-15-2006, 07:29 PM

As long as "quite a while" translates into "after my career is over" I'll be as content as Chris Henry in a gun shop.

Suitanim
06-15-2006, 07:56 PM

I can't believe that no one has made this connection yet! We had another QB who was missing a couple teeth...he just happened to take us to 4 Super Bowl victories.

tony hipchest
06-15-2006, 08:21 PM
the good thing is ben is speaking (damn leigh steinbergh prepares a good statement). the bad thing is ben has a "get back on the horse when you get bucked off" personality.

the steelers wont go after bens bonus and steinbergh has a little less leverage when it comes to holding the steelers hostage with re-negotiations after next season or the one after. bens motorcycle riding has cost him 2 mil from campbells and several more from the steelers. as loud as a chopper or rice burner is....cash always speaks louder.

the statement has all the right elements. he owes it to God, his family, his team, and his fans to treat life and his career as something not worth wasting on an afternoon joyride.

Hawk Believer
06-15-2006, 09:16 PM
Way to go Ben. I am glad to see he is immediately admitting the mistake and promoting helmet use. I bet there are a few people out there who are deciding to wear a lid (or they are being brow beaten into it) because of what happened to Ben. If he does recover as well as the doctors are predicting, maybe the net result of what first appeared to be a tragedy will be some lives saved.

Lyn
06-15-2006, 09:26 PM

It may have been taken care of as a portion of his nearly 7 hour surgery. More than likely implants were put in.

SteelerzGirl
06-15-2006, 09:34 PM
I bet there are a few people out there who are deciding to wear a lid (or they are being brow beaten into it) because of what happened to Ben.

I hope so, too, but I know that isn't so for all motorcyclists. While driving home from work on the afternoon of Ben's accident, I passed at least three motorcyclists who were riding w/o a helmet. I don't know if those three motorcyclists live in caves and didn't hear of Ben's accident or what the story is, but there will always be those who choose to not use good common sense.

slashsteel
06-15-2006, 09:41 PM
And one out of those three will probably end up with their brains splattered all over some roads' concrete. Sad

SteelersGal17
06-15-2006, 09:57 PM
I hope so, too, but I know that isn't so for all motorcyclists. While driving home from work on the afternoon of Ben's accident, I passed at least three motorcyclists who were riding w/o a helmet. I don't know if those three motorcyclists live in caves and didn't hear of Ben's accident or what the story is, but there will always be those who choose to not use good common sense.

I've seen some motorcyclists w/o helments but I know the majority of them that I've seen were wearing helments.....so I've seen a combo of both, either wearing one or not wearing one

blackngoldbaby
06-15-2006, 10:08 PM
that is such great news!!when i saw it it really brightened my day.im very glad we got to hear from him it makes me feel alot better!

LuckyNumber7
06-15-2006, 10:20 PM
Great guy. Thats all he had to say, I am satisfied. He is a great guy and he'll be ready.

steelerfan12
06-15-2006, 10:45 PM
no he only lost 2 teeth and some are chipped!

BBC
06-15-2006, 10:59 PM

That part of the statement concerns me. This time around how about we wait until after we retire to ride again? That's great that you will wear a helmet if you decide to ride again during your career, but I don't see how a helmet protects both of your knees from being broken or your spine cracking in half. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but please just put the damn thing away until after your financially stable and your career in the NFL is over and done with.

Couldn't agree more 83-43. While wearing a helmet is a world ahead of not wearing one, I still don't feel safe with him on that bike. He can be the safest driver out there, but there's no telling when a 62 year old woman will pull out in front of you and send you flying. He's got all the time in the world to be able to ride his bike after he retires.

msafford
06-15-2006, 11:05 PM
As long as "quite a while" translates into "after my career is over" I'll be as content as Chris Henry in a gun shop.

Man that is funny!:smile:

Stlrs4Life
06-15-2006, 11:05 PM

I hear ya. Glad to see he is admitting to a mistake. And now will klearn from this situation.

Skinsfan28
06-16-2006, 02:16 AM
Well ,

Glad to hear his agent prepared all the right things for Ben to say.

No disrespect to Ben and the fans here, When I saw the titile of this thread "Ben Speaks"

I thought the quotes would be

MMMPHHHHHHHHPH IIIIIIIN H OI:I "OIUPPPPPPP

Use your imagination here. Ya know jaw wired shut.

Back to reality here. I am glad he is on the other side of this thing, the bummer is that that every freaking game we watch next season the sportscasters are going to talk about it until we are so sick of it that we will want to ride helmetless.

shimmysteelerfan
06-16-2006, 02:27 AM
maybe he should get a trike. and im pretty sure i read he didnt have his jaw wired shut dumbass .

"There has been much speculation about the management of Mr. Roethlisberger's facial fractures," said Dr. Pituch. "In many instances facial fractures can be managed by wiring the jaw shut. Mr. Roethlisberger's jaws and teeth are not wired shut."

Ohio Steeler
06-16-2006, 05:15 AM

I hope not

mymaveric
06-16-2006, 10:59 AM

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I think that part more than anything is just to diffuse any questions concering his motorcycling future. He didn't guarantee anything either way, but it covers most questions that anyone will have for a while, at least.

83-Steelers-43
06-16-2006, 11:02 AM

Wow look, another well informed football fan from an opposing team. :buttkick:

MAN-O-STEEL
06-16-2006, 11:23 AM
Well ,

Glad to hear his agent prepared all the right things for Ben to say.

No disrespect to Ben and the fans here, When I saw the titile of this thread "Ben Speaks"

I thought the quotes would be

MMMPHHHHHHHHPH IIIIIIIN H OI:I "OIUPPPPPPP

Back to reality here. I am glad he is on the other side of this thing, the bummer is that that every freaking game we watch next season the sportscasters are going to talk about it until we are so sick of it that we will want to ride helmetless.
His jaw is not wired shut and they said he could speak softly. keep up with the facts or get the H E L L off the board. oops, i'm sorry about that, maybe they could do something so you can't type and we don't have to hear from you.:blah:

hardwork
06-16-2006, 11:28 AM
He can wear 5 helmets at one time, it won't stop Tom Brady from kickin' Steeler ass.

Good to see Ben on the mend.

tony hipchest
06-16-2006, 11:35 AM
tom brady rides a moped

section514
06-16-2006, 11:40 AM
he is also a douche bag, but I've already expressed that a while ago

BBC
06-16-2006, 11:43 AM
tom brady rides a moped

I thought he rode Bill Belichick :shrug:

SteelerFanInCA
06-16-2006, 11:58 AM

I'm with you 83. He should pack that thing away until his football career is over. This guy has a chance to financially secure his generations for years to come. I hope Ben realizes that he potentially has a shot of being the highest paid Steeler in franchise history. I know the FO normally doesn't break the bank for many players but Big Ben may be the exception to that. Ben was knocked down and got back up. I'm glad to see he's at least heading in the right direction.

SteelerFanInCA
06-16-2006, 12:03 PM
tom brady rides a moped
Tony, you forgot to mention it's the fastest moped that company makes.

BB2W
06-16-2006, 12:15 PM
Glad to hear Ben has learned from this and is getting his priorities straight.

Skinsfan28
06-17-2006, 10:24 PM
His jaw is not wired shut and they said he could speak softly. keep up with the facts or get the H E L L off the board. oops, i'm sorry about that, maybe they could do something so you can't type and we don't have to hear from you.:blah:

Sorry, I did not know his jaw is not wired, thats good news.
Go easy please, I am new here.

tony hipchest
06-17-2006, 10:31 PM
Tony, you forgot to mention it's the fastest moped that company makes. THE VESPA?!?!?!?!?!

*gasp*

SteelCityMan786
06-17-2006, 10:44 PM
Big Ben. APPOLOGY ACCEPTED! You might have done something stupid but you at least wised up

83-Steelers-43
06-17-2006, 10:48 PM
but you at least wised up

While that remains to be seen, let's hope so. :hope:

silver & black
06-17-2006, 11:09 PM
Great to hear he is ok, and seems to have taken some positive, hard earned life lessons from his unfortunate mishap.

Even better... the Raiders get to play the Steelers for real! (take that for the crappy wit it was intended as)

StillerPaul
06-18-2006, 01:45 PM
In my mind, Ben owes me no apology whatsoever. I know what kind of character he has. He is just a young guy that made some terrible decisions. He, of all people, will learn from his mistakes and be a better man for it. I truly believe that. But it is still nice to see his statement. My hope as a selfish Steelers fan is that he never touches a bike again, at least while he's playing football. I guess we'll see what the futurew holds.

To all those rival fans that wished Ben harm and alot of missed time............ Sorry, he'll be backkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk. :smile:

24seven
06-18-2006, 01:53 PM
that speech was so perfectly scripted I just wonder how many people had a part in creating it for him.. Regardless though.. I as well feel there should be no apology. People make mistakes constantly and on any given day he would still be just fine.. It's unfortunate for it to happen but a great lesson in the same. I'm sure he'll grow from it just like he has in football. I'm sure he's greatful for it not being as bad as it could have been and will adjust his lifestyle accordingly. Anyone that has a life or death situation upon them changes in some way and Ben will be no different. Get well soon so we can get back to kickin ass Ben!!

BengalBrian
06-20-2006, 02:08 AM
How is Ben anyway... I really am not hearing much.. Is he definately going to be back for the beginning of the season? How long before he starts tossing around the pigskin again??? I am seeing plenty of Ben threads, but not one dedicated to his recovery and I am just not sure...

Steel Pit
06-20-2006, 02:31 AM
How is Ben anyway... I really am not hearing much.. Is he definately going to be back for the beginning of the season? How long before he starts tossing around the pigskin again??? I am seeing plenty of Ben threads, but not one dedicated to his recovery and I am just not sure...

The last that I heard was 7-8 weeks recovery time. That should get him back in time for the beginning of training camp. They have speculated that he won't see any action during the 1st and 2nd preseason games but should be available to play in the final 2 preseason games and definitely be ready for the season opener. He will begin wearing one of the revolution type of helmets. Time will tell of course but it all sounds good for now.