PDA

View Full Version : Steelers run game not same without Ward

tony hipchest
11-10-2011, 01:02 AM
"fire ward... he sux" :rolleyes:

http://burgh.us/9qx

Hines Ward left the Pittsburgh Steelers game against the Baltimore Ravens with concussion-like symptoms after getting hit by Ray Lewis. His status for this Sunday’s game against the Cincinnati Bengals is up in the air.

If Ward is unavailable to play, it may have a greater impact on the Steelers’ running game than it does on its passing game.

WardWard has struggled with injuries this season and is averaging just 32.3 receiving yards per game. Since his second season in the NFL, Ward has never finished with a lower average per game.

But what does the loss of arguably the league’s best blocking receiver mean to the Steelers’ running game?

The Steelers tend to run in Ward’s direction regardless of which side of the field he is lined up on. When lined up on the right side of the field, Steelers running backs have rushed to the right or middle of the field 89.3 percent of the time this season. Likewise, when Ward lined up on the left, 73.8 percent of runs went to the left or middle.

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, since 2007 the Steelers have averaged 119.4 yards per game when Ward plays. In 8 games without Ward in that span, they have averaged 101.0.

see link for dramatical statistical graphic running to the right behind ward.

Fire Arians
11-10-2011, 01:06 AM
i would like to see what the difference in passing yards in with ward in vs ward out

also situational stats, like how much more running plays are we calling with ward in the lineup.

to be honest most of the failures in the running game is our running backs getting hit at or behind the line of scrimmage, i doubt ward does anything to stop that. but I won't deny he has a hand in those 10+ yard gains, making them go for more than they would have.

MACH1
11-10-2011, 01:42 AM
What? The old, slow, washed up Hines contributes to the team more ways than just catching pass's.

stlrtruck
11-10-2011, 12:01 PM
What? The old, slow, washed up Hines contributes to the team more ways than just catching pass's.

Wouldn't that make him a team player?

DanRooney
11-10-2011, 12:58 PM
Oh come on with this bullshit. It's not like our running game was any good the first 7 weeks with Ward in the lineup. It's been bad all season. I tell you what, our passing game looks a hell of a lot better with Ward sitting behind Brown and Sanders. That's for sure. Tell me on wrong. Because nearly everything I've said about Brown is 100 percent right. Bring up redzone offense. That'll hold some credit. That's one situation I truly believe Ward should be in the lineup. Between the 20's give me Brown and Sanders all day.

Mendenhall actually had a decent game against Baltimore, He just didn't have enough carries.

truesteelerfan
11-10-2011, 02:00 PM
IMO we would not have won or even gotten to these past 3 SB w/o Hines Ward. His blocking ablity opens up the run, which opens up the pass- he is still the most complete WR on our team due to that ability. He's not, nor has ever been a tremendous pass catcher, very steady and has all the numbers, but never had the God gifted speed or potential of a Wallace. If Hines could teach Wallace to block as well as he does, now that is a bank breaking contract we may need to give next year.

Champs2000
11-10-2011, 02:09 PM
Ward is more of a possession receiver, not a deep threat. With that said, that means he is very well established with his hands at both catching and blocking. There are not many receivers in the NFL that can block the way Ward can yet still have short/middle yardage threat. When a receiver like Wallace is on the field, everyone thinks deep threat; the DB's are forced to either play tight and risk, almost with certainty, getting blown away, or give him plenty of room and not let him past. With Ward, teams tend to play him tighter not fearing the deep threat. This, in turn, leads to better blocking opportunities for Ward.

SoCalFan
11-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Its pretty clear with Wallace,Brown and Sanders,Ward should be used in running situations and on 3rd downs! One thing for sure,im glad hes still on this team,this year at least!