PDA

View Full Version : Maddox

Big D
06-16-2006, 10:00 AM
With all the rumors of the possibility of tommy comming back I want to here your opinions on how you all feel about this. I've heard that the steelers dont want him back and i've heard he doesnt want to come back because he wants to pursue his golf career. I would hate to see turnover tommy come back

83-Steelers-43
06-16-2006, 10:09 AM
While he made statements before Ben's accident that he wanted to pursue a pro golfing career, the media here has stated on a few occasions that he's open to playing for the Steelers if Ben is not ready to go by opening day. I have not heard any comments from the Steelers FO pertaining to Maddox.

IMO, I don't want him back. I felt he wore out his welcome after the Jacksonville game. Also, I'm not exactly sure he's in good graces with the Steelers FO or the players in general. That's pure speculation on my part, but he did not attend the White House or the ring ceremony. Not attending the ring ceremony was just a tad bit odd don't you think?

Big D
06-16-2006, 10:18 AM
I do agree with the fact that he should have been at the white house regardless of any negative feelings he had about the steelers last year. Tommy boy must have forgot it was the rooneys who picked up the insurance man after the xfl failed and gave him a second chance.

Big D
06-16-2006, 10:26 AM
2001 Pittsburgh Steelers 3 0 9 7 77.8 154 17.11 57 1 1 1/4 4 2 116.2
2002 Pittsburgh Steelers 15 11 377 234 62.1 2836 7.52 72 20 16 26/148 40 6 85.2
2003 Pittsburgh Steelers 16 16 519 298 57.4 3414 6.58 53 18 17 41/242 44 4 75.3
2004 Pittsburgh Steelers 4 3 60 30 50.0 329 5.48 39 1 2 6/37 4 0 58.3
2005 Pittsburgh Steelers 4 2 71 34 47.9 406 5.72 32 2 4 8/43 6 0 51.7

this just proves my point even more tommy should have been cut after 03. i was never a fan of him not even within the first two years he came to the steelers.

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-16-2006, 10:30 AM
With all the rumors of the possibility of tommy comming back I want to here your opinions on how you all feel about this. I've heard that the steelers dont want him back and i've heard he doesnt want to come back because he wants to pursue his golf career. I would hate to see turnover tommy come back

Now..this may be a rumor...but I heard from a friend who rooms with a guy who plays racketball with the doctor of Tommy's wifes best friends hairdresser, that Tommy is considering coming back because he decided to be his own caddie....and has already dropped all his golfballs.:smile: :rolleyes: :smile:

Big D
06-16-2006, 10:34 AM
I honestly dont think there is a need to bring in a backup qb. I've expressed in the past that i'm not overly thrilled about Charlie Batch but I have full faith ben will be back and I think in time jacobs is going to be a very productive pro qb

83-Steelers-43
06-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Nevermind the the ring ceremony or White House visit. I just feel the guy is done. I thought he proved that last season after his horrible play and the excuse making that followed. So between the speculative relationship between Maddox and the Steelers organization as a whole and the fact that when he came in last season he looked as if he never picked up a football in his life, I don't want him here and I'm not exactly sure the Steelers organization want him back.

If Ben misses a few games I have complete faith in Charlie Batch. He came in last season and got the job done. That's what you expect from your backup QB. To not lose the game for you. Batch did that very well in my opinon. I would have to imagine that the Steelers will still go out and pick up a third second string QB (behind Batch) but I highly doubt it will be the likes of a Tommy Maddox or Kerry Collins.

Big D
06-16-2006, 10:42 AM
I dont think he has ever had what it takes to be a nfl qb even before last years jaguar game. As far as kerry collins the man couldnt get the ball to randy moss last year. He's erratic and has never been much of a qb despite the superbowl trip with the giants. Collins career rating is like 73. I mean come on here. If for some reason ben has to miss a few games and i know its very unlikely I dont think it would hurt to talk to the cowboys about maybe getting hensen or romo. Remeber fellas i'm not talking about a starting qb just a decent back up just in case batch goes down.

section514
06-16-2006, 10:55 AM
i put my offer out on the table again

hardly worn Tommy Maddox Jersey

$0.50 or best offer

The Goodwill refused to take it...

DIESELMAN
06-16-2006, 10:57 AM
stick a fork in his ass.....He ain't coming back.......:helmet:

mymaveric
06-16-2006, 11:02 AM
I hope for your sakes that the Steelers don't want or need him back at any point. I know I wouldn't want him on my team or wish him anyone else (ok, maybe there's a couple of teams I'd wish him on)... :whistle:

tony hipchest
06-16-2006, 11:07 AM
omar jacobs. a very unpolished ben won 14 games as a rookie with a good team. jacobs could win a few with a great team (although id hate to see the pressure put on him to win the afc champ game but i dont think it will come to him playing that late in the season).

Big D
06-16-2006, 11:08 AM
yeah tommy would look great in a browns uniform. and if charlie frye goes down turnover tommy might get a call

Bigsteve332310
06-16-2006, 11:27 AM
On KDKA they said Tommy's agent didnt call to let them know that Tommy is available, but he just wanted to know how Big Ben was doing. Tommy was pretty good friends with Ben and they just went golfing last week when Tommy was in town to pick up his ring. But hopefully that is it i cant see them bringing Tommy back.

Big D
06-16-2006, 12:05 PM
I dont think anybody in here questions tommy as a player. But quite frankly i wouldnt want him to be my back up qb on an arena football team

SteelersMongol
06-16-2006, 12:57 PM
I have more faith in Batch than I would ever let the Moaddox play for us. Nay to Maddox. His time is gone, I think.

Ohio Steeler
06-16-2006, 01:10 PM
I have more faith in Batch than I would ever let the Moaddox play for us. Nay to Maddox. His time is gone, I think.

I would like nothin then to see Maddox play another day in the NFL say for the Bungals or Clowns, but here is Pittsburgh his days are over for sure

Big D
06-16-2006, 01:12 PM
or even the raiders to ensure the fact the raiders will suck this year

HometownGal
06-16-2006, 01:20 PM
While I have always been a big Maddox supporter, I don't feel his heart is really in the game anymore. He doesn"t have that fire in his eyes that he did in the 2002 and early 2003 seasons and ever since his injuries (head, neck and arm), he looks like a deer in the headlights out there. The fire in his eyes seems to have been replaced with fear and frustration.

Though I do blame him single-handedly for the Jax loss last season, I don't hold it against him because (a) every QB has a bad game or a stretch of bad games - Ben will too at some point and (b) it really didn't affect the Steelers drive for five. I wasn't a huge fan of Kordell, but like Maddox, I appreciate his contributions to the team and that great ride he took us on in 2002. I don't have much faith in Batch at all and hope Ben can come back at some point this season and lead the team as well as he has since he took over for Maddox.

Big D
06-16-2006, 01:23 PM
I wouldnt consider that year in 02 a great year if you look at the stats i placed on here earlier. Maddox sucks always has sucked and always will suck

ARKIESTEEL
06-16-2006, 01:26 PM
I may get booed off the bored for this but here is my 2 cents. Tommy was a Steeler no matter what else happens that fact will always be true! He took us pretty far a couple of times and he let us down a couple of times but he had on the black and gold when he did it. Ever sack late hit ass chewing torn up yard he got was because he was trying to win a game for us. Tommy before the yard tearing up deal loved the fans, but after I think he justed wanted to leave. Let me ask you this would Ben be as good as he is without Tommy Maddox helping him along the way? I say this fair thee well Tommy take with you my heart felt thanks for the service you gave to the black and gold you where once and shall always be a Super Bowl Champion just like the rest of the 2005 Pittsburgh Steelers!!

HometownGal
06-16-2006, 01:27 PM
We'll have to agree to disagree here Big D. Considering the Steelers' start with Kordell at the start of the 2002 season and Maddox's contributions that year which helped to lead the Steelers to the second round of the playoffs, I think it was a pretty good ride.

Big D
06-16-2006, 01:35 PM
and i wouldnt give tommy no credit for bens success

Ohio Steeler
06-16-2006, 01:40 PM
I may get booed off the bored for this but here is my 2 cents. Tommy was a Steeler no matter what else happens that fact will always be true! He took us pretty far a couple of times and he let us down a couple of times but he had on the black and gold when he did it. Ever sack late hit ass chewing torn up yard he got was because he was trying to win a game for us. Tommy before the yard tearing up deal loved the fans, but after I think he justed wanted to leave. Let me ask you this would Ben be as good as he is without Tommy Maddox helping him along the way? I say this fair thee well Tommy take with you my heart felt thanks for the service you gave to the black and gold you where once and shall always be a Super Bowl Champion just like the rest of the 2005 Pittsburgh Steelers!!

just why do you think that would get you booed off the bored you are just speeking your mind and the last I checked there was no law for that..

SteelersGirlTN7
06-16-2006, 02:00 PM
Didnt they assign his number to one of the newbies anyway?

Thats a sure sign he wont be back I would think.. lol

SteelerFanInCA
06-16-2006, 02:23 PM
I'm a little upset with Maddox as well for blowing off the whole White House visit. Not sure if I would want to see him sporting the black & gold again.

ARKIESTEEL
06-16-2006, 02:25 PM

So you dont think Tommy helped Ben with the play book or helped him learn to read a defense. I take the other side of your thought on this Tommy was Bens freind and did help him. Tommy does not have Bens arm that is for sure but Ben dont have all the years Tommy has put in either. Those that cant do teach and this is a perfect example of this!!!

You must watch a differnt game than i do

ARKIESTEEL
06-16-2006, 02:26 PM
just why do you think that would get you booed off the bored you are just speeking your mind and the last I checked there was no law for that..

Thanks rep your way

Big D
06-16-2006, 02:28 PM
no i would give that credit to whisenhunt and cowher. if the back up qb's helped bens developement why arent you mentioning charlie batch who was actually at the hospital tommy wasnt.

section514
06-16-2006, 02:29 PM
i was a big enough tommy fan to purchase his jersey.....which i am now selling for 50 cents. (PM me if you want it, lol)

lol

I enjoyed Tommy Maddox as a Steeler, and I would like to think that I started the "Tommy! Tommy!" chant at the Browns game when he first came in and brought us back. Thanks for the Ride Tommy Gun, just don't come back, become Tiger's friend or something and hit up the linx

ARKIESTEEL
06-16-2006, 02:34 PM
no i would give that credit to whisenhunt and cowher. if the back up qb's helped bens developement why arent you mentioning charlie batch who was actually at the hospital tommy wasnt.

I wont discuss this with you further. I will only say that i feel i am right as you feel that you are.

Big D
06-16-2006, 02:37 PM
thats cool. turnover tommy isnt worth a debate anyways

HometownGal
06-16-2006, 02:49 PM

Maybe because Charlie Batch lives in the Burgh - 15 minutes from Mercy Hospital and Maddox lives in Texas? I would bet dollars to donuts that Maddox called Ben or a member of his family to offer best wishes and keeps in contact with Ben wherever he is. They were very close friends and Tommy helped Ben learn the system, as Ben mentioned many times.

Personally, I think Tommy is best suited as a QB coach, not as an NFL QB anymore.

ARKIESTEEL
06-16-2006, 02:57 PM
Maybe because Charlie Batch lives in the Burgh - 15 minutes from Mercy Hospital and Maddox lives in Texas? I would bet dollars to donuts that Maddox called Ben or a member of his family to offer best wishes and keeps in contact with Ben wherever he is. They were very close friends and Tommy helped Ben learn the system, as Ben mentioned many times.

Personally, I think Tommy is best suited as a QB coach, not as an NFL QB anymore.

Very well put.

Thank you

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-16-2006, 03:56 PM

I always get confused with the double negatives....does this mean we do give credit since we are not giving no credit....or is it that no credit is not being given which actually gives credit.....I think its like the anti-mater/matter thing and if you get credit while giving no credit...all life ceases to exist.

My brain hurts.

RoethlisBURGHer
06-16-2006, 04:04 PM
When Tommy rescued us from Kordell all of Pittsburgh loved him.Could you blame us?I don't think so.

However,I lost respect for Maddox when he blamed eveything but himself for his mistakes.As the season went on,everyone grew tired of his excuses.

I don't want him back in the Black and Gold.He can't help Ben anymore than he already has,all he'll do is take up a roster spot and lose games he starts in.He's done for,washed up.

I have full confidence that Ben will be ready September 7th and if not,I am confident Charlie Batch can step in and lead the Steelers to a win in the opener.

Big D
06-16-2006, 04:07 PM
kinda reminds me of peyton manning this year belaming everything on his line

Black@Gold Forever32
06-16-2006, 04:13 PM

Nice post man. I had no problem with Tommy Maddox until he made those piss poor excuses after the Jax game. I just didn't like how Tommy pointed the finger instead of taking some of the blame ok most of the blame for that loss. But your right Tommy was and will always be a Steeler. He had his most NFL success with the Black and Gold. Tommy saved our season in 2002 when when the Steelers started out 1-3 with Kordell that year. So I give Tommy credit for that.

The magic wore off though for Tommy after 2002. I can't blame Tommy for the Steelers 6-10 record in 2003. Injuries to the Oline and the Steelers getting away from running the ball on a consistent basis that year were more to blame then Tommy. Plus the defense really couldn't stop anybody that year. But still Tommy didn't seem to have that magic like in did in 2002. Then 2004 when Tommy suffered that terrible arm injury in the second game of the season that year he was never the same.

I wish Tommy the best. He won a Super Bowl ring. Some of the greatest QB's have retired without winning one. Tommy's Steelers career was a total failure and I will have some good memories of Tommy as a Steelers. But it was his time to go.

SteelersMongol
06-16-2006, 10:01 PM
While I have always been a big Maddox supporter, I don't feel his heart is really in the game anymore. He doesn"t have that fire in his eyes that he did in the 2002 and early 2003 seasons and ever since his injuries (head, neck and arm), he looks like a deer in the headlights out there. The fire in his eyes seems to have been replaced with fear and frustration.

Though I do blame him single-handedly for the Jax loss last season, I don't hold it against him because (a) every QB has a bad game or a stretch of bad games - Ben will too at some point and (b) it really didn't affect the Steelers drive for five. I wasn't a huge fan of Kordell, but like Maddox, I appreciate his contributions to the team and that great ride he took us on in 2002. I don't have much faith in Batch at all and hope Ben can come back at some point this season and lead the team as well as he has since he took over for Maddox.

Well said. I can really see what you're saying now. But I'm just wondering why are we all saying we don't trust Batch. I don't really remember he was actually letting us down when he played, like Maddox did?

CowherLover
06-16-2006, 10:07 PM
I always get confused with the double negatives....does this mean we do give credit since we are not giving no credit....or is it that no credit is not being given which actually gives credit.....I think its like the anti-mater/matter thing and if you get credit while giving no credit...all life ceases to exist.

My brain hurts.
Do you really think that sarcasm is really warranted, somehow I'm sure you do. In case you haven't been told..... It's not necessary every other post. There is a line between being witty and being sarcastic and you are definitely falling into the latter more frequently.

BlacknGold Bleeder
06-16-2006, 10:16 PM
Maddox was good as a stop gap player... he did do well and did help the Steelers until we were fortunate enough to get Ben. The yard story was B.S. , his wife denied it ever happened! I wish Tommy well but I believe his playing days are over, definitley his starting days are.
I've always liked Batch but his problem over his career has been staying good, alot of that can be attributed to bad teams and other teams just flat out planning how to stop him. Detroit didn't have a lot of options.
All this appears to be a moot point though, because we apparently will have Ben back in time to start the season. Thank God for that Angel that was riding with Ben that day!!!

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-17-2006, 06:35 AM
Do you really think that sarcasm is really warranted, somehow I'm sure you do. In case you haven't been told..... It's not necessary every other post. There is a line between being witty and being sarcastic and you are definitely falling into the latter more frequently.

OH PLEASE!!! Rather hypocritical arnt we:

* Re: Add Ann Coulter to the list with Pat and Jerry FROM COWHERLOVER

Yeah, how dare they cause such a ruckus and cause such a thing a the INDEPENDANT 9/11 Comisssion. How absurd, everyone has their own opinion and agenda and just because you feel so strongly one way... *

*Re: Karma..... FROM COWHERLOVER

Don't respond to this idiot and he'll go away. The more you talk the longer he stays around. It's not all his fault, he from around the Ohio River where the city motto is; Nothin says lovin like f*ckin your cousin.*

*Re: 3 kids - 2 mothers...that's productive FROM COWHERLOVER

Santonio has always taken care of his responsibilities with his children which is the biggest reason he came out a year early. If you're really interested in his past and his character maybe you should google his name and do some research rather than form an opinion with the Cliff Notes version. When you do that you'll feel bad, or at least you should, about slamming someone before you know if in fact he DOES take responsibility for the life he's created. Children shouldn't be referred to as mistakes, IMHO.

* Re: 3 kids - 2 mothers...that's productive FROM COWHERLOVER

I think Phil Savage has the "holy christain" player market cornered, just in case you've forgotten his recent comments. *

(and my favorite)
* Re: Is this Homeland Security? FROM COWHERLOVER

In the best interest of keeping this sane and rational I shouldn't even begin to post what my thoughts are. But because I can't keep my big mouth shut I will say that all of you that voted for this jerk-off because he was going to take away certain rights from certain people, should've realized that the day might come that his self-serving, Harvard hillbilly ass, would do something that might draw your ire such as this. *

You must have some cold winters in your glass house with all the rocks your throwing

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-17-2006, 06:44 AM

I would rather be witty and sarcastic then too sensitive...lighten up!...You seem to have a passive-aggressive mentality that is showing up on any post you dont like. Try laughing a little..life is fun..and all this is just "posts" ..not a reflection on life itself.

My sarcasm is done in fun (until its not..:smile: ) If I offended any person it is up to them to let me know and I will man enough to say I'm sorry..(and MEAN it..I truly wouldnt want to hurt anybodys feelings)..HOWEVER..if its not aimed at you...QUIT being the POST POLICE and the forum BIG SISTER and mind your own business!

BIG D and I joined at about the same time and I enjoy his posts...The double negative is a "typo" that any of us could have done including myself... and IF you checked my posts..you can see that I make fun of MYSELF as much as I tease everyone else.

Seriously...chill out or put me on ignore..that simple. Everyone else here seems to be having fun...sharing info and razzing each other.

HometownGal
06-17-2006, 08:09 AM
Well said. I can really see what you're saying now. But I'm just wondering why are we all saying we don't trust Batch. I don't really remember he was actually letting us down when he played, like Maddox did?

Look - I like Charlie. He's a great guy, hometown boy, does charity work in the community yada, yada, yada. I was never impressed with him as a QB when he was with the Lions and I keep hearing over and over again how he didn't have much of a team around him. He had Barry Sanders in his backfield for one year and during the 4 year span he was in Detroit, had Herman Moore, Johnnie Morton and Germane Crowell at wideout, all 1,000 yard WRs. He still couldn't get the job done. I know - he didn't have much of an OL - well, neither did Maddox in 2003. What really has he done since coming to the Steelers? Oh I know - the Steelers won 2 games with him at QB last season. I look at it this way - he stunk in the first game against Green Bay (yes, Green Bay!) and had it not been for Polamalu, we would have lost that game. OK - he was shaking off the rust. He got the free pass, even though he played most of the pre-season games while Maddox did not, yet Maddox got no free pass - only more criticism (which he did deserve in the Jax game). The second game he started, the Steelers' opponent was Cleveland and in that game, he did not throw one TD pass, though the Steelers won 34-21. Yes, he did score one on the ground in that contest, I'll give him that. I just don't see what the guy has done to merit all of the praise and salivation, sorry. That being said, however, I will support him, though, if he starts the season behind center because he wears the black and gold.

SteelerzGirl
06-17-2006, 08:31 AM
The Johnstown Riverhawks arena football team doesn't even want Maddox, so why would the Steelers? :dang: I agree with Diesel. Stick a fork in Maddox. He's done!

Big D
06-18-2006, 03:46 PM
Look - I like Charlie. He's a great guy, hometown boy, does charity work in the community yada, yada, yada. I was never impressed with him as a QB when he was with the Lions and I keep hearing over and over again how he didn't have much of a team around him. He had Barry Sanders in his backfield for one year and during the 4 year span he was in Detroit, had Herman Moore, Johnnie Morton and Germane Crowell at wideout, all 1,000 yard WRs. He still couldn't get the job done. I know - he didn't have much of an OL - well, neither did Maddox in 2003. What really has he done since coming to the Steelers? Oh I know - the Steelers won 2 games with him at QB last season. I look at it this way - he stunk in the first game against Green Bay (yes, Green Bay!) and had it not been for Polamalu, we would have lost that game. OK - he was shaking off the rust. He got the free pass, even though he played most of the pre-season games while Maddox did not, yet Maddox got no free pass - only more criticism (which he did deserve in the Jax game). The second game he started, the Steelers' opponent was Cleveland and in that game, he did not throw one TD pass, though the Steelers won 34-21. Yes, he did score one on the ground in that contest, I'll give him that. I just don't see what the guy has done to merit all of the praise and salivation, sorry. That being said, however, I will support him, though, if he starts the season behind center because he wears the black and gold.

hometown girl, i've havent agreed with your posts in the pasts but this is a very true point. good post

Big D
06-18-2006, 03:50 PM
in tommys defense. If it wasnt for tommy we wouldnt have ben. I say we all should consider sending flowers and chocolates

Steel12
06-19-2006, 12:46 PM
While he made statements before Ben's accident that he wanted to pursue a pro golfing career, the media here has stated on a few occasions that he's open to playing for the Steelers if Ben is not ready to go by opening day. I have not heard any comments from the Steelers FO pertaining to Maddox.

IMO, I don't want him back. I felt he wore out his welcome after the Jacksonville game. Also, I'm not exactly sure he's in good graces with the Steelers FO or the players in general. That's pure speculation on my part, but he did not attend the White House or the ring ceremony. Not attending the ring ceremony was just a tad bit odd don't you think?

I concur...he's a waste of a roster spot. I feel any of the qbs we have now can lose just as well as he can :smile: