PDA

View Full Version : How would Peyton Hillis fit in.......

SteelerFanInATL
11-12-2011, 06:17 AM
With all the talk of Peyton Hillis probably being moved in after the season, how do you think he would fit in as a Steeler?

He would definately give us the big back we have not had since Bettis retired. Mendy gives us speed to the outside but is not physical ALL the time.

Please comment on who you think is a better fit for our offence

steelfury02
11-12-2011, 06:35 AM
His wheels are already falling off IMHO and combine that with the attitude and I wouldn't touch him

To me, sounds more like a Deuce Staley project - some promise with about 2 games of production - can you say cap waste? lol

In all seriousness though if he could just get us the first down all the time on 3rd and short and pound it into the end zone on a consistent basis, much like Bettis did, then he would be worth it

Just not sure Arians would be capable of utilizing him in the right way. He would probably treat him like another one of his coveted "hybrid tight ends"

Rick5895
11-12-2011, 07:24 AM
With all the talk of Peyton Hillis probably being moved in after the season, how do you think he would fit in as a Steeler?

He would definately give us the big back we have not had since Bettis retired. Mendy gives us speed to the outside but is not physical ALL the time.

Please comment on who you think is a better fit for our offence

Hillis is a liability, his lack of heart and character are showing through this season. We Still have mendy to go with redman, and Dwyer and don't forget Barron batch, who will be a very good back for us next season fully healed.
If we were to lose Mendy or let him go, I would rather (if we are going the FA route) take a shot at Michael Bush who is a UFA after the season.

stlrtruck
11-12-2011, 08:02 AM
Aside from the amentioned, because we've all seen that a change of scenery can change a person's heart and attitude. WIth that being said, I'll answer the question:

I see Hillis being that big back to help punish defenses. He wouldn't be the feature back, he would definitely have to learn how to block in the Steelers scheme (assuming Arians is no longer the OC and we bring back the FB), and then he would be that clean up guy like we needed the other night against the ratbirds.

Whodis
11-12-2011, 08:30 AM
Just not sure Arians would be capable of utilizing him in the right way. He would probably treat him like another one of his coveted "hybrid tight ends"

^ This

Goldsteel86
11-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Lets not forget the Steelers have a big back in Ike Redman, once again the comment "If Arians would use him right" is so true. Hillis has the "Madden" curse, as everyone knows whoever graces the cover tends to either end up injured (Like Troy Did) or their lack of production diminishes.

StainlessStill
11-12-2011, 10:10 AM
This could be Arians last year with the team and then retire. He was actually dead-set on retiring after the Super Bowl until some staff and players talked him out of it for another run. That said, I don't want any attitude of a player who had ONE good season, especially coming from the turd that is Cleveland.

stb_steeler
11-12-2011, 10:15 AM
Hell everyone that gets cut should be a Steeler.......:doh:

DanRooney
11-12-2011, 10:29 AM
I would love Hillis on our team. Big bruiser similar to Redman with a little more speed. He would compliment our receivers well.

tanda10506
11-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Redman can get us the 3rd and shorts, he is very good at giving a second and third effort and is usually succesful at getting the first down. He's not as good all around as Hillis is(or was last year at least), but with Dwyer too and then Batch also next year, I just don't see a reason to spend the money he will want. Especially in this "new" passing league.

Sixburgher
11-12-2011, 03:17 PM
He's already showing signs of physically breaking down. Can you say "white Duce Staley"?

Fire Arians
11-12-2011, 03:30 PM
big backs don't last long in the NFL. the most productive season in his career will be last year

bettis only lasted as long as he did because he was also quick and wouldn't always just run headfirst into people

steelerchad
11-12-2011, 03:42 PM
Lets not forget the Steelers have a big back in Ike Redman, once again the comment "If Arians would use him right" is so true. Hillis has the "Madden" curse, as everyone knows whoever graces the cover tends to either end up injured (Like Troy Did) or their lack of production diminishes.

Redman's not a big back. He's 1 lb bigger than Dwyer and 5 lbs bigger than Mendy. Hillis is 250, 20lbs bigger than Redman and this puts him on equal footing with most LB'ers.

I don't want Hillis, just pointing out that the Steelers don't really have a big back.

FanSince72
11-12-2011, 04:41 PM
If we want to go after a big back, I'd like to see us go after Mike Tolbert.

Right now, he's under a one-year contract to San Diego and if he's available in the off season, I'd love to see interest in him.

To me, Tolbert is Bettis V2.0. He's big but he's got great feet, he's averaging 4.1 ypc.and he can catch passes.

I swear that if you put him in a Steeler uniform and gave him #36 (he's #35 right now) you'd think that Bettis came out of retirement.

casteeler
11-12-2011, 06:41 PM
The o-line has played a whole lot better in these past weeks but the running backs are kind of on the back burner because of Bens' awesome pass performances. In the future I would much rather see Toby Gerhart ( I think that's how it's spelled) in the back field than Hillis or Mendenhall. Redman and Dwyer are excellent backs but Gerhart got the shaft when he didn't receive the Heisman a couple of years back, behind the right offensive line Gerhart would be monstrous

Brett Cottrell
11-12-2011, 10:31 PM
How would he fit in? That's not really as important as how he'd hold onto the ball. He fumbles more than Dave Krieg.

casteeler
11-12-2011, 10:43 PM
How would he fit in? That's not really as important as how he'd hold onto the ball. He fumbles more than Dave Krieg.

Huh?

truesteelerfan
11-13-2011, 01:37 PM
I'd take him- can never have too much RB talent...and I would say his bad attitude is because he's stuck in Cleveland.

fer522
11-13-2011, 04:25 PM
I'd take him- can never have too much RB talent...and I would say his bad attitude is because he's stuck in Cleveland.

i'd be pissed if i played for cleveland too:noidea:

TRH
11-13-2011, 06:45 PM
I don't want him AT ALL and i wouldn't think our front office or coaching staff would either. He's had big and publicized attitude problems (being lack of and lack of heart), plus has he's had some health issues as well.
. I can't see him being offered anything here, we almost always stay miles away from players like that. I think you can forget it.

SunshineMan21
11-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Why, with our current roster composition, would we dish out a big FA contract to a RB? It's not like he's coming in for the minimum, and there's not much reason to think he's a better runner than Isaac Redman at this point. Hillis has been terrible this year, and his attitude isn't any better.

Third Rail
11-14-2011, 01:09 AM
Hillis is an overrated douchebag who put up decent number last season that didn't even help his pathetic team get to .500. Keep him the hell away from the Steelers.

BossAus
11-15-2011, 10:06 AM
I'd rather pay a little extra and keep Mendy.

MDSteel15
11-15-2011, 10:56 AM
I would rather draft a top quality RB once Mendenhall starts whining about his contract!!!

stlrtruck
11-15-2011, 11:06 AM
I would rather draft a top quality RB once Mendenhall starts whining about his contract!!!

Why wait? I mean lately he's been auditioning for DWTS more than actually running the ball.

Remember the week when he was out and Redman and Dwyer ran all over the place. Mendy needs to remember that or he'll quickly learn what Parker learned...you can be and will be replaced by someone more willing.

steelfury02
11-15-2011, 11:35 AM
In general I'd like to see us pick up someone that is either one heck of a blocker like Vonta Leach (I know, I'm dreaming - no more FBs, but hey, we have plenty of Hybrids running around!) lol

or

an RB that has at least half of the catching and running abilities of Marshall Faulk. If we got a nice pass catching RB that would be sweet. Maybe I'm wrong - maybe we already have what we'll have. Not dissing any current RBs because when used in correct combinations, we have one hell of a stable I think.

queeg
11-15-2011, 12:26 PM
Redman can get us the 3rd and shorts, he is very good at giving a second and third effort and is usually succesful at getting the first down. He's not as good all around as Hillis is(or was last year at least), but with Dwyer too and then Batch also next year, I just don't see a reason to spend the money he will want. Especially in this "new" passing league.

The game has changed...look at Brandon Jacobs as feature back of Giants....just doesn' t have explosiveness to put points on board fast....the game is speed speed and speed today!

MDSteel15
11-15-2011, 02:48 PM
The game has changed...look at Brandon Jacobs as feature back of Giants....just doesn' t have explosiveness to put points on board fast....the game is speed speed and speed today!

The RULES of the game changed thanks to Gaydel and his flag football BS! A power FB will still bust thru and open holes for a RB....

DanRooney
11-15-2011, 03:49 PM
I'd rather pay a little extra and keep Mendy.

I don't think he'd be worth the money. RBs are a dime a dozen in the offense we're running now. Especially considering he's having a very down year.

Priorities are Wallace and Starks I'd say after his awesome outing back (I'm not sure how long we resigned Starks for? I year veteran minimum???). I think we will be something like $20 million over the cap after this season ends so that means we have to get rid of a lot of loose change.

Rick5895
11-15-2011, 05:15 PM
I don't think he'd be worth the money. RBs are a dime a dozen in the offense we're running now. Especially considering he's having a very down year.

Priorities are Wallace and Starks I'd say after his awesome outing back (I'm not sure how long we resigned Starks for? I year veteran minimum???). I think we will be something like $20 million over the cap after this season ends so that means we have to get rid of a lot of loose change.
I think alot of that loose change will be gone in the contracts of Smith, Farrior, , probably Ward, McFadden to name a few. Be interesting to see what the new cap will be.

Rick5895
11-15-2011, 05:17 PM
Even without Mendy I think we will be fine at RB, with Batch, Redman and Dwyer and who knows how Clay will develop. I definately dont want to see us go after Hillis. See my previous post on this thread .