PDA

View Full Version : Steelers First-and-10: Cameron Heyward

mesaSteeler
11-13-2011, 09:08 AM
Steelers First-and-10: Cameron Heyward
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/steelers-first-and--cameron-heyward/article_ac6344df-d2d6-54c0-b6f4-362139b3fb50.html?mode=print
By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com | Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2011 7:28 pm

The Steelers’ rookie defensive end, taken in the first round of this year’s NFL draft, took some time before practice this week to answer these decidedly non-football questions from Times pro football writer Mike Bires:

What’s it been like having a famous father like your dad, the late Craig “Ironhead” Heyward before going on to play in the NFL?

“I was very blessed. I had a lot of opportunities to do things because of my father. Growing up with a dad like that, a dad who everyone admired, was really fun. But I will say this, as I got older, the expectations for me really rose and I always tried to live up to them.”

Are there any special mementoes of your father that you have on display?

“I have a couple pictures that are dear to my heart. I have one of his old jerseys. And my girlfriend made me a collage of all his football cards and my football cards. It’s neat to look at because there are so many great memories I have of my dad.”

For a while as a kid, you lived in Monroeville. Now you’re back living here as a Steeler. So what do you like best about living in Pittsburgh?

“Growing up, I always loved going to Kennywood. But I always loved this city in general. It’s a hard-working, blue-collar city. And you have so many things to do here.”

Before choosing Ohio State, what other colleges did you consider?

“My final five were LSU, Florida, USC, Georgia and Ohio State.”

Did Pitt recruit you?

“Early on, Pitt recruited me. I actually got my first offer from Pitt. But I just thought it would be better if I let Pitt remain as my dad’s school.”

Even though the controversy surrounding coach Jim Tressel and Terrelle Pryor marred the Buckeyes’ image in the past year, how do you look back at your overall Ohio State experience?

“I loved my experience at Ohio State. That’s where I really became a man. I learned so much there from Coach Tress and the other coaches. I learned about football, discipline and maturity.”

As a first-round draft pick, being paid a lot of money, did that change you? Did you buy anything special?

“I don’t think I’ve change at all. I’ve remained humble and very thankful to have this opportunity. And no, I didn’t buy anything special. The only thing I bought was my apartment.”

You majored in education, do you see yourself being a high school teacher when you’re done with football?

“Yes. The kids today are our future. I benefitted from the teachers I had in high school. I loved my teachers dearly. So to be able to help kids with their lives, that would be a true pleasure.”

What’s the best vacation you’ve ever taken?

“I love roller coasters, so I would have to go to Disneyworld in Florida.”

What vacation spot is on your to-do list in the future?

“I’d like to go to London or a major city when it hosts the Olympic Games. That would be interesting.”

Goldsteel86
11-13-2011, 09:24 AM
Steelers First-and-10: Cameron Heyward
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/steelers-first-and--cameron-heyward/article_ac6344df-d2d6-54c0-b6f4-362139b3fb50.html?mode=print
By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com | Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2011 7:28 pm

The Steelers’ rookie defensive end, taken in the first round of this year’s NFL draft, took some time before practice this week to answer these decidedly non-football questions from Times pro football writer Mike Bires:

What’s it been like having a famous father like your dad, the late Craig “Ironhead” Heyward before going on to play in the NFL?

“I was very blessed. I had a lot of opportunities to do things because of my father. Growing up with a dad like that, a dad who everyone admired, was really fun. But I will say this, as I got older, the expectations for me really rose and I always tried to live up to them.”

Are there any special mementoes of your father that you have on display?

“I have a couple pictures that are dear to my heart. I have one of his old jerseys. And my girlfriend made me a collage of all his football cards and my football cards. It’s neat to look at because there are so many great memories I have of my dad.”

For a while as a kid, you lived in Monroeville. Now you’re back living here as a Steeler. So what do you like best about living in Pittsburgh?

“Growing up, I always loved going to Kennywood. But I always loved this city in general. It’s a hard-working, blue-collar city. And you have so many things to do here.”

Before choosing Ohio State, what other colleges did you consider?

“My final five were LSU, Florida, USC, Georgia and Ohio State.”

Did Pitt recruit you?

“Early on, Pitt recruited me. I actually got my first offer from Pitt. But I just thought it would be better if I let Pitt remain as my dad’s school.”

Even though the controversy surrounding coach Jim Tressel and Terrelle Pryor marred the Buckeyes’ image in the past year, how do you look back at your overall Ohio State experience?

“I loved my experience at Ohio State. That’s where I really became a man. I learned so much there from Coach Tress and the other coaches. I learned about football, discipline and maturity.”

As a first-round draft pick, being paid a lot of money, did that change you? Did you buy anything special?

“I don’t think I’ve change at all. I’ve remained humble and very thankful to have this opportunity. And no, I didn’t buy anything special. The only thing I bought was my apartment.”

You majored in education, do you see yourself being a high school teacher when you’re done with football?

“Yes. The kids today are our future. I benefitted from the teachers I had in high school. I loved my teachers dearly. So to be able to help kids with their lives, that would be a true pleasure.”

What’s the best vacation you’ve ever taken?

“I love roller coasters, so I would have to go to Disneyworld in Florida.”

What vacation spot is on your to-do list in the future?

“I’d like to go to London or a major city when it hosts the Olympic Games. That would be interesting.”

Gotta love the poise and potential, totally awesome to get a rookie with the maturity factor. Seems like Cam is here for the love of football not the money, it is evident when he was asked what did he buy. When he answered, nothing but my apartment it should show the writing is on the wall!!!!