PDA

View Full Version : I hate the play calling but......

Steelerindc
11-13-2011, 03:08 PM
..as much as we blame BA for the stupid playcalling at this point I think Mike Tomlin is just as much to blane for what we see out there on a down to down basis. We need to run the ball like we actually want run the Damn ball, w/ a fb and some conviction.

btaylor179
11-13-2011, 03:56 PM
its a great day..........havent seen wr screen....thank you lord

theplatypus
11-13-2011, 04:02 PM
..as much as we blame BA for the stupid playcalling at this point I think Mike Tomlin is just as much to blane for what we see out there on a down to down basis. We need to run the ball like we actually want run the Damn ball, w/ a fb and some conviction.

We aren't that team anymore

Fire Arians
11-13-2011, 04:05 PM
i actually thought the playcalling was good. execution was off. ben overthrew a wide open wallace, wallace dropped another pass that would have been a 1st down. that's not on arians.

i liked how we played aggressively for the 1st down to seal the game

i hate arians but i'll give credit where it's due. he called a good game today.

GMU Steeler
11-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Playcalling isn't great but guys have to execute too.

Bayz101
11-13-2011, 04:25 PM
I actually liked today's play calling. Some plays we're poorly executed, and that happens. But unless Arians is suited up and playing out their, you can't blame him for the lack of execution.

GMU Steeler
11-13-2011, 04:26 PM
I actually liked today's play calling. Some plays we're poorly executed, and that happens. But unless Arians is suited up and playing out their, you can't blame him for the lack of execution.

Exactly. I am not an Arians fan but sometimes the problem is flat out poor execution.

lipps83
11-13-2011, 04:28 PM
We aren't that team anymore

Not only are we not that team anymore, we are so far from being that team that we struggle to close games out. We couldn't be that team either this season even if we wanted to.

Never had that problem under Cowher.

Not saying Tomlin is the problem though, I think it is more the Arians/Roethlisberger combo with the dying need to air it out every single play every single game. It's like passing the ball is the only way to win. Running the ball is just a compliment, and a bad one at that.

I am tired of watching our backs run into an already collapsed hole.

Kanata-Steeler
11-13-2011, 04:31 PM
and that makes you, me and about 90% of Steelers Fans who often hate the play calling - (with all of its adjectives).

StainlessStill
11-13-2011, 04:36 PM
i actually thought the playcalling was good. execution was off. ben overthrew a wide open wallace, wallace dropped another pass that would have been a 1st down. that's not on arians.

i liked how we played aggressively for the 1st down to seal the game

i hate arians but i'll give credit where it's due. he called a good game today.

Heath also dropped a pass right between the numbers that resulted into points as well. We should have routed, period. Just shooting ourselves in the foot really. What worries me is the lack of pass rush but we made up for it and finally got interception turnovers from the defense.

Sixburgher
11-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Not only are we not that team anymore, we are so far from being that team that we struggle to close games out. We couldn't be that team either this season even if we wanted to.

Never had that problem under Cowher.

Please. We won so many damn close games under Cowher due to his turtling up and taking the air out of the ball when he got a lead it was ridiculous. There was also no shortage of bitching about why we didn't blow teams out that we rightfully should have blown out then either. Revisionist history much?

lipps83
11-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Please. We won so many damn close games under Cowher due to his turtling up and taking the air out of the ball when he got a lead it was ridiculous. There was also no shortage of bitching about why we didn't blow teams out that we rightfully should have blown out then either. Revisionist history much?

Apparently you have a reading comprehension problem, and this isn't the first time you have called me out on something completely different from what I was saying.

I was not talking about Cowher vs Tomlin ability call plays and win football games in the end. I was talking about the type of team we had and which was better suited to control the clock.

We were a power running team able to control the clock to end a game under Cowher.

We are a passing team now where the run game is an afterthought, and we don't have the scheme nor the personnel if we chose to switch to a strict running game. Having a very inept running game does not allow you to consistently control the clock. Every incomplete pass at the end of the game when trying to control the clock hurts us.

Maybe before you open your mouth again, you might want to read a post twice.

Sixburgher
11-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Apparently you have a reading comprehension problem, and this isn't the first time you have called me out on something completely different from what I was saying.

I was not talking about Cowher vs Tomlin ability call plays and win football games in the end. I was talking about the type of team we had and which was better suited to control the clock.

We were a power running team able to control the clock to end a game under Cowher.

We are a passing team now where the run game is an afterthought, and we don't have the scheme nor the personnel if we chose to switch to a strict running game. Having a very inept running game does not allow you to consistently control the clock. Every incomplete pass at the end of the game when trying to control the clock hurts us.

Maybe before you open your mouth again, you might want to read a post twice.

I can read and comprehend just fine, thank you. I think you're just another one who doesn't like it when what they say isn't accepted as gospel truth. Unable to control the clock? Why the f*** are the Steelers 4th in the league in TOP if they "can't control the clock"? It sure isn't because the defense is getting turnovers and giving the offense the ball back.

LVSteelersfan
11-13-2011, 06:41 PM
You people are kidding about the passing game aren't you? Run up the middle almost every time on first down when we have a lead for no gain. If we would just run play action once in awhile on first down, perhaps we could get more than one or two yards on first down. And then running it up the middle AGAIN on second down to make it third and long drives me crazy. Go for the darn jugular and use Wallace, Brown and Miller in that short passing game across the middle. They could no stop it. So why do we quit running those plays in the second half? A short pass across the middle is just as good as a running play. Mr. Predictable, Bruce Arians tried to once again give the game away by using the same old predictable plays in the second half. Thank God William Gay got that INT. He gets a pass from me today for a change. He did get burned some early on but came through in the clutch when we needed it most.

tanda10506
11-13-2011, 06:47 PM
Arians did okay, definetly some bad calls, but still did okay overall. Ben had a few misses that cost us points. Seems like the passing game got ineffective though in the second half.

TRH
11-13-2011, 06:52 PM
when the play calling is at its absolute worst is usually mid-4th quarter. Nearly every game is the same. And it goes like this:
We have a narrow lead heading into the end of the game. We get the ball back. This is where we need to be getting 1st downs and SCORING. So we try and eat clock time. Nothing wrong with that, but its a run. Then a run.(with both usually getting stuffed). Then a sorry a** pass play and its 3 and out, giving the opponent a chance to score (which we won't even talk about prevent defenses and such here, thats a whole 'nother story).
Problem is, we do this every single time, so if we're calling the plays at home from the couch, do you think the other team is ready for it? Thats why our run plays get stuffed immediately, then they already know the 3rd down is automatically going to be a pass. We have to mix it up more than that.
Thankfully we converted on that last drive today, but the previous 3 drives were pitiful.

Ricco Suavez
11-13-2011, 07:13 PM
You people are kidding about the passing game aren't you? Run up the middle almost every time on first down when we have a lead for no gain. If we would just run play action once in awhile on first down, perhaps we could get more than one or two yards on first down. And then running it up the middle AGAIN on second down to make it third and long drives me crazy. Go for the darn jugular and use Wallace, Brown and Miller in that short passing game across the middle. They could no stop it. So why do we quit running those plays in the second half? A short pass across the middle is just as good as a running play. Mr. Predictable, Bruce Arians tried to once again give the game away by using the same old predictable plays in the second half. Thank God William Gay got that INT. He gets a pass from me today for a change. He did get burned some early on but came through in the clutch when we needed it most.

I could not agree with you more:hatsoff:

SoCalFan
11-13-2011, 07:51 PM
+2 Ricco....

Goldsteel86
11-13-2011, 07:58 PM
I could not agree with you more:hatsoff:

Mr. Suavez!!!!!!! :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Goldsteel86
11-13-2011, 08:02 PM

Hehehe, somone else who thinks the running game needs to get better!! Love the pass don't get me wrong, just not Steelers football, back to the days of Bettis, "Pound the Rock"!!!!

lipps83
11-13-2011, 09:02 PM
I can read and comprehend just fine, thank you. I think you're just another one who doesn't like it when what they say isn't accepted as gospel truth. Unable to control the clock? Why the f*** are the Steelers 4th in the league in TOP if they "can't control the clock"? It sure isn't because the defense is getting turnovers and giving the offense the ball back.

Apparently you do have a comprehension problem.

I am not talking about TOP. I am talking about ball control at the end of the game. They are not the same thing. Controlling the clock for 35 min for a whole game, and controlling the clock with 3 minutes left with a 3 point lead are NOT THE SAME THING.

What I don't like is when someone when misconstrues my words into something they are not.

Things like this are why we have been perfecting writing and language over and over for thousands of years...some people just don't get it.

Sixburgher
11-13-2011, 09:24 PM
Apparently you do have a comprehension problem.

I am not talking about TOP. I am talking about ball control at the end of the game. They are not the same thing. Controlling the clock for 35 min for a whole game, and controlling the clock with 3 minutes left with a 3 point lead are NOT THE SAME THING.

What I don't like is when someone when misconstrues my words into something they are not.

Things like this are why we have been perfecting writing and language over and over for thousands of years...some people just don't get it.

You distinctly said "controlling the clock". A team that is 4th in the league in time of possession isn't really indicative of having a problem controlling the clock, by and large.

I personally have a problem with people who can't seem to help but become condescending jackasses because someone disagrees with their "almighty" opinion. May want to drop the smarminess.

ricardisimo
11-13-2011, 09:44 PM
You distinctly said "controlling the clock". A team that is 4th in the league in time of possession isn't really indicative of having a problem controlling the clock, by and large.

I personally have a problem with people who can't seem to help but become condescending jackasses because someone disagrees with their "almighty" opinion. May want to drop the smarminess.
You mean like the Patriots game? We dominated the clock all game long, as you suggest, and yet when we needed ball control at the end of the game, Arians only had one answer: sling it. Didn't work, of course. Ben got sacked twice and we got knocked out of field goal position. The game did not need to get that interesting.

That's football 101 and Arians flunked. Who cares if Mendy lost a yard on those two carries? Kick a FG and it's a two score game. Afterwards he was asked why he did that, and his response was that he just wanted to "use what was working". This from a Mike Tomlin assistant, the same Tomlin who constantly preaches "situational football". Disgusting.

He was obviously lying, too, since Mendenhall was running just fine in the Ravens game, which would lead one to believe that he would turn to him at the end to help with ball control, because wouldn't he want to "use what was working"? No, he wouldn't. He wants to be coaching Peyton Manning again. Period. Nothing else matters to this guy.

MasterOfPuppets
11-13-2011, 09:58 PM
the steelers started the game using a mix of running and short passes ...results 2 TDs and lots of time off the clock.
the same formula that worked on the pats.
for whatever reason arians feels the need to go deep after that...results...sacks and 3 -n- outs.

steelfury02
11-14-2011, 10:53 AM
when the low percentage plays work they are exciting and can demoralize a defense, but having a 14, 17, or even 21 point lead going into the 2nd half or even 4th quarter means crap nowadays. You can't get greedy thinking you'll just try and kill the clock - scoring points and scoring 7 often is the key and you just can't let up with what has worked. Yes, teams can adjust to what you've been doing - but switching it up before it has been proven to be stopped is just not logical to me, but hey - enough beeyotching from me- they are 7-3!

Steeldude
11-14-2011, 12:34 PM

i am not seeing it happens this way, but it's almost like arians is deliberately setting up 3rd and long so he has an excuse to throw long.

steelfury02
11-14-2011, 01:14 PM
at least Arians is consistently frustrating, that is - it is the same boneheadedness that irritates us and not the likes of the O-coordinator in Baltimore - who, IMHO - is even worse, ie - Ravens situational football in loss v. Seahawks. The lack of carries by Rice is just dumbfounding. They obviously got too arrogant because their rookie WR made one game winning catch at Heinz.

Ben>Flacco. Flacco's arm<Rice's abilities to frustrate tacklers and run for critical, clock eating first downs and basically give the Ravens a more complete offense. Would you rely on the likes of the Ravens WR corp week in and week out? Not me. One more dropped ball against us last week and we'd all be praising their complete choking capabilities (which I think will cost them once again this year) Their best receiver is Pitta, period, end of story.

Fire Arians
11-14-2011, 01:21 PM
they were too quick to abandon the running game. you don't do that down 10-0 especially in the first quarter, especially if you have ray rice. no idea what those guys were thinking.

but hey why am i complaining, a ravens loss is good for us :)

ricardisimo
11-15-2011, 09:18 PM
they were too quick to abandon the running game. you don't do that down 10-0 especially in the first quarter, especially if you have ray rice. no idea what those guys were thinking.

but hey why am i complaining, a ravens loss is good for us :)
We have no room to talk. We abandon the run if our 14-point lead gets cut by 3.

Wallace108
11-15-2011, 09:39 PM

:toofunny:

Look at the pot calling the kettle a jackass.
Just last week you got condescending with me and called me a name because I dared to have a different opinion than you. And my post wasn't even directed at you.

And you're the one who got condescending with Lipps83. Not the other way around. :hatsoff:

Bayz101
11-16-2011, 03:37 AM
:toofunny:

Look at the pot calling the kettle a jackass.
Just last week you got condescending with me and called me a name because I dared to have a different opinion than you. And my post wasn't even directed at you.

And you're the one who got condescending with Lipps83. Not the other way around. :hatsoff:

:rofl:

Whodis
11-16-2011, 07:00 AM
It's obvious the running game isn't going any where. IMO Mendenhall doesn't hit the line and or hole like Redman.

My only problem is, like clock work, after a lead, we come out and try for home run balls. I like the short passes with the occasional long ball. It seems to keep Ben off his ass.

I hope some of you are right about Arians. if he's so good maybe its possible another team will sign him as a head coach!

DanRooney
11-16-2011, 08:25 AM
It's obvious the running game isn't going any where. IMO Mendenhall doesn't hit the line and or hole like Redman.

My only problem is, like clock work, after a lead, we come out and try for home run balls. I like the short passes with the occasional long ball. It seems to keep Ben off his ass.

I hope some of you are right about Arians. if he's so good maybe its possible another team will sign him as a head coach!

His playcalling has become a lot more aggressive. I kind of like it.

But yeah, Mendenhall has been pretty unspectacular this year which is very uncharacteristic. He's going lateral too much instead of just plowing forward. I think it's mental with him this year. Maybe all of the fumbling criticism from the coaches and teammates got to his head?

steelfury02
11-16-2011, 08:41 AM
I like the aggressiveness Arians has shown, but the lack of running game worries me just a little bit. We'll see - there is still time to figure it out and come out balanced enough for the playoffs. Like we've all discussed before - even if we can get it going to the point where it will keep defenses honest that is all that matters