PDA

View Full Version : your first reaction to the wreck, emotionally

section514
06-16-2006, 03:16 PM
When I first found out about ben, it was like the first time I saw Remember the Titans and Bertier wrecks his car.

ARKIESTEEL
06-16-2006, 03:19 PM
I thought somebody was messing around

section514
06-16-2006, 03:20 PM
that would have been one ****ed up joke

RoethlisBURGHer
06-16-2006, 03:20 PM
I just hoped he was gonna live.

83-Steelers-43
06-16-2006, 03:21 PM
First, is he alive?

Then anger mixed with sadness.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-16-2006, 03:25 PM
Well I was leaving work and checked my cell phone to see who had called me throughout the day. I had 10 voice mails. I never have that many in a day. The first one was my mom and she was crying and she said that Ben had been in a motorcycle wreck and he wasn't wearing a helmet. The other messages were my friends letting my know about Ben's accident. My first thoughts was he either struggling for his life or he couldn't walk again.

Ohio Steeler
06-16-2006, 03:28 PM
the 1st thing that came to mind was this has got to be a joke then when I saw it was'nt I felt sick

Big D
06-16-2006, 03:34 PM
I didnt believe it. I thought it was somesort of error. I was just listening to his interview with mike and mike that morning

section514
06-16-2006, 03:35 PM
i hate to say this, but I had feelings similar to 9/11 i understand the two moments have no similarities

if he would have died, 6/12 would have been an infamous day

mymaveric
06-16-2006, 04:24 PM
It was kind of a disbelieving shock. It really felt weird since I'd just listened to him on Mike & Mike a couple of hours before that.

ARKIESTEEL
06-16-2006, 04:35 PM
that would have been one ****ed up joke

Wasnt trying to make small of this but a freind of mine that is always messing with me emailed me about it so i just thought he was joking

SteelerFanInCA
06-16-2006, 05:22 PM
Felt sick to my stomach and some what numb. I just couldn't believe it.

steelersgirl86
06-16-2006, 06:45 PM
i felt sick to my stomach and starting praying that we would be okay and surfing the net all hours of the day and night getting updates.....

tony hipchest
06-16-2006, 06:47 PM
i heard it when it broke on sirius. i thought it was gonna be a little fender bender that was gonna be blown out of proportion.

as reports of the injuries began to come in, i remember thinking that i knew the last 2 years and his growing upside and superstardom for the steelers was too good to be true.

Suitanim
06-16-2006, 06:50 PM
I thought he was going to die...one of my friends emailed me a link to a website that said he had head trauma and wasn't wearing a helmet. She also added "It doesn't look good".

DIESELMAN
06-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Oh Shit was my first reaction and then wondering how bad it was.........went through some of my websites for updates and realized he would be ok.....The head trauma was what worried me the most.....:helmet:

floodcitygirl
06-16-2006, 07:14 PM
My hubby called me with the news. Seeing that he's a Bengal fan.....(I know, I know)....I asked 3 or 4 times if he was messing with me. I didn't really think he would cause he's not one of "those" Bengal fans, but I was almost hoping..... Then he got really mad cause "I should know that he wouldn't joke about something like that." He said that one of the guys that he does business with called him because he knew that I was a Steeler fan. (I always show up at their tailgate in my STEELER gear!) He said that Ben had wrecked into a car without his helmet and had gone THRU the windshield. My somach just dropped and I ran for the computer to see what I could find out. Today is a much better day! :smile:

Koopa
06-16-2006, 08:19 PM
i thought, damn steelersfever server is gonna crash now lol.......i was mad as hell when i first heard it because everyone was telling him shit like this could happen and he just brushed it off

SteelersGal17
06-16-2006, 09:03 PM
I thought it was a joke at first but then as more news came in, I felt sick to my stomach.....at that point, all I did was pray, pray and pray even more...my mom called me and asked if anymore news came in, my one friend had to text me on my cell to ask if there was anymore information. I felt so sick and just praying that he would get through ok.

SteelersMongol
06-16-2006, 09:43 PM
I was mad at him for acting stupid. Coach Cowher told him. Mr. Bradshaw told him. He was acting like untouchable.

But now, I'm little relaxed, cuz he's gonna be okey. But still, it never hurts to listen to elders.

steelerfan12
06-16-2006, 09:47 PM
i didnt really kno much all i knew that he was in an accident soo all i thought was is he ok or alive!

JAG151
06-16-2006, 10:07 PM
Now bear in mind I live in a small town, when the local news stopped reporting for a breaking news report and the newscaster was visibly shaken, as he was a Steelers fan too, as he was reading the report, all of us in the lunch room were shocked and couldn't believe it!! I looked at my boss and told him I was taking the rest of the day off to see what was going on and I would call with reports. We dont get any Pittsburgh channels where I live, so I had to rely on the internet for all of the facts. I was sick to my stomach, we all were. I also had a flood of cell phone calls, emails and phone calls. All I could think was let him be okay, not just to play again, but just to be okay.

SteelCityMan786
06-16-2006, 10:51 PM
I was going WTF? THIS IS A BUNCH OF BULL****. **** IT! BE FALSE FOR EVERYONE'S SAKE

caligirlsteelerfan86
06-17-2006, 12:05 AM
I was at work and had my phone on vibrate and I heard it going off, but I was in the middle of things, so I let it go for a sec. I saw that my Aunt called me from Greensburg, PA and she never calls me during the weekdays..early. So, I thought at first something happened to one of my Grandparents. I went outside my office to check the voice mail, and she said "Not sure if you heard yet, but Our Big Ben was just in a motorcyle accident without a helmet, it seems pretty bad". I was in shock, I was worried for his well being, and angry too. I thought at first, geez this has to be really bad for my family to call me. I had a smoke and thought some more and hoped he really wasn't that bad, but was concered. I just think any motorcycle crash is bad with or without a helmet. So, I went back to my desk and checked online and in fact, it did happen. I checked off and on through the day thinking it was a joke. When I got home that night my other Aunt called me, asking what I thought of my QB and I said I didn't think it was his smartest move, but hope he will be okay. I'm just glad he bounced back so quickly. He had so much to lose and is so young. Hope right now he is resting and getting healthy. But, I'm still worried about him, just hope he does heal and one good hit in a game doesn't hurt him. He's young and tough. Just get well first and then come back. Couple guys in my office where making fun of the situation, thought that was tasteless. Yes, you don't have to agree with his decision, but don't make fun of it or say "he is stupid, who cares if he doesn't make it or ever plays again"! That really got me mad!! I'd never wish harm on someone else.

Mamaduck43
06-17-2006, 12:56 AM
I was crestfallen - - I was on another message board - - posting away (we don't get much Pittsburgh new in Hawaii) and one of my fellow Steelers' fans PM'd me to tell me that there had been an accident .... I immediately started surfing Steelers' and Pittsburgh sites.... I was sick to my stomach and so worried that I could not think of anything else nor do anything constructive all day Monday and all day Tuesday..... I got into a couple of arguments with non-fans who made some very disparaging remarks and ended up very upset.... I was so concerned about Ben's future - - not for the team, but for Ben..... All three of my grown-up kids took time during the day to call and make sure that I was okay..... They know me so well..... Several of my PIFs (Psycho Internet Friends) also called to check on me to make sure that I hadn't totally lost it..... They know me pretty well, too......

As the news started to improve a bit, I became cautiously optimistic.... I was waking up two and three times during the night to check the boards and the news - - almost like the weeks of playoffs!!!!! Steeler insomnia had struck again.... When I discovered that he had been discharged from the hospital, this sense of calm settled over me.... I am hoping that he will play for at least some of this season, but if he is not able to, I can be patient... Ben has a lot of good football left in him, and we can all look forward to that..... I just want for him to have a complete and total recovery..... And I don't want him on that darn bike again until he has retired from the game - - - and when he does go for a ride, I want him wrapped in bubble-wrap..... That's the grandma in me - - - it flares up when I think of someone that I care for doing something dangerous.....

SteelerzGirl
06-17-2006, 08:43 AM
The media, of course, interrupted all regularly scheduled programming here in western Pennsylvania to give us the news of Ben's accident. I was shocked and felt sick to my stomach. Then I was mad because Ben wasn't wearing a helmet. Then I feared the worse when I saw the mangled mess that was his bike, the smashed windshield of the car, the large quantity of blood at the scene, and when they said he was bleeding profusely from the head. I really didn't think our beloved Ben was going to make it. My entire office pretty much shut down for the entire day waiting for updates on Ben's prognosis. My boss didn't believe me when I gave him the news, but once he looked at me and saw the expression on my face, he knew I wasn't joking around. It was a sad, sad day for all of us.

Stlrs4Life
06-17-2006, 10:27 AM
I thought somebody was messing around

Was thinking the same at first, but then it was like, OMG. WTF now? Is he ok?

LuckyNumber7
06-18-2006, 10:38 PM
First, is he alive?

Then anger mixed with sadness.

Completely agree. At first I didn't know if he was alive after looking at the accident and listening to the eye witnesses. And then I felt angry, but even more so sad and crushed, because I think of Ben as like one of my family members and I was completely hurt to hear that something like this had happened to him.

Sharkissle29
06-19-2006, 01:33 AM
thought my dad was joking when he called me on my cell phone. my friends around me asked if everything was ok with my family after the phone call. haha i guess the steelers are my family....i was really upset.

Prosdo
06-19-2006, 03:03 AM
I was sleeping and my Mom woke me up all upset. I thought I was having a bad dream at first. I turned on KDKA and saw the footage and I had a huge sinking feeling in my stomach. First question was did he survived? Then was is he going to be okay?

LuckyNumber7
06-19-2006, 08:57 AM
thought my dad was joking when he called me on my cell phone. my friends around me asked if everything was ok with my family after the phone call. haha i guess the steelers are my family....i was really upset.

The same thing with me, all of my friends called me to see if i was ok. But ben is liek a family member to me. I had the worst feeling when I turned on that TV and saw it was true. I was soo crushed.