PDA

View Full Version : Week 10 Gay Meter: +12 (+5 this week)

ETL
11-13-2011, 06:10 PM
Not much to say. He was very much a part of the reason why we won today. He was involved in both INTs (for a while, I forgot what a Steeler turnover was)

I took 5 points off the meter for Gay's play in last week's loss. I think he deserves +5 points for being a huge part of today's win.

He played a solid game. His interception was not due to any supreme physical ability or blanket coverage but he used his experience in reading the QBs eyes.

That is what Gay is. He is not a #1 cover cornerback. And to be honest with you, I would love for Cortez Allen, Curtis Brown or Keenan Lewis to develop into the #2. But Gay is a solid defender that plays the slot well and an ASSET to this team ... as proven by the ... GAY METER!

zsheik22
11-13-2011, 06:27 PM
You're the man, lol.

Drizztbob
11-13-2011, 06:30 PM
I'd like a Gay meter pictured chart so we can all keep track.

Bayz101
11-13-2011, 07:09 PM
ETL: I am the only one who sat around and laughed at the fans complaining about Gay last week? God forbid someone has an off game around here.

Gay is OK.

No. Gay is EXCELLENT.

stb_steeler
11-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Last week you all wanted his head.......unbelievable.....:rofl:

xstang102
11-13-2011, 07:17 PM
He is still garbage... He didnt have to cover anyone deep so he wasnt exposed.. Still the reason we are chasing in the division.

ETL
11-13-2011, 07:22 PM
ETL: I am the only one who sat around and laughed at the fans complaining about Gay last week? God forbid someone has an off game around here.

Gay is OK.

No. Gay is EXCELLENT.

No such thing as an "off game" to some fans here. You're either 2 things as a player:

1. You suck, have always sucked and will forever suck and should be cut immediately

or

2 You were ok for this week but I got my eye on you for next week and if you mess up even so little, it proves to me that you suck, have always sucked and will forever suck and should be cut immediately

xstang102
11-13-2011, 07:31 PM
your logic is flawed.. same points given this week as taken away last week and that was clearly a more important game.. The point value means nothing, as he cost us the most important game of the year.

SunshineMan21
11-13-2011, 08:04 PM
your logic is flawed.. same points given this week as taken away last week and that was clearly a more important game.. The point value means nothing, as he cost us the most important game of the year.

The most important game of the year is never played during the regular season.

Steel_Bus_24
11-13-2011, 08:15 PM
Well Im slowly starting to gain some solid faith in him as a #3.....

For today, he did about the best he could to make up for last week.....Nice to see a good bounce back

With that said, I still don't want him defending any of most teams top #1 or #2 receiver or any burner.....The guy just doesnt have that extra juice to compete with those guys

For example, if I see him matched up on Ted Ginn when we play the 49rs, Im going to pull my hair out.........

He had no business covering Smith last week

finesward
11-13-2011, 08:15 PM

New member touting his logic handbook.... could it be??? Thump have you come back to us? :rofl:

JustinM
11-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Gay gets a pic. I never thought I'd see the day O.O

xstang102
11-13-2011, 08:25 PM
New member touting his logic handbook.... could it be??? Thump have you come back to us? :rofl:

New member, check the date.. I just don't post.. I joined the same year you did.. LMAO!

tony hipchest
11-13-2011, 08:29 PM
New member, check the date.. I just don't post.. I joined the same year you did.. LMAO!you were so much more valued as a non posting member.

carry on!

xstang102
11-13-2011, 08:35 PM
you were so much more valued as a non posting member.

carry on!

Oh, yeah... you are one of the peeps who carry Gay's water.. My bad! .. Are you his cousin, or one of his 2 friends? You can't be a fan based from his play, that's for darn sure..

Today Gay was decent, but he was never tested deep where his is weak... Dalton isn't good enough to expose him... Yet...

Bill Cowher's Jaw
11-13-2011, 09:24 PM
Gay gets a pic. I never thought I'd see the day O.O

A GAME-CLINCHING pick of all things.

I immediately thought about this thread the moment he picked it off.

Bayz101
11-13-2011, 11:37 PM
No such thing as an "off game" to some fans here. You're either 2 things as a player:

1. You suck, have always sucked and will forever suck and should be cut immediately

or

2 You were ok for this week but I got my eye on you for next week and if you mess up even so little, it proves to me that you suck, have always sucked and will forever suck and should be cut immediately

A players bad performance is amplified by a loss. The fans want something to complain about. We won today, so you'll probably hear less about Chris Keamoatu's performance this week. But when he performs badly in a loss, better cut a switch!

Merchant
11-14-2011, 12:10 AM
Loves me some Gay!

tanda10506
11-14-2011, 12:42 AM

Gay is OK.

No. Gay is EXCELLENT.

I laughed too. He's not excellent but he is playing pretty well. I say the meter goes up more than +5, maybe +7. Caused a pick and sealed the game with a pick. Had a few good tackles and a batted away pass too.

Steelersfan87
11-14-2011, 01:40 AM
Anybody who thinks the Steelers lost last week solely because of Gay last week is an idiot.

Aussie Steeler
11-14-2011, 01:57 AM
Great in the nickel. Not a number 2 CB. Good job Gay boy =]

ricardisimo
11-14-2011, 02:48 AM
Great in the nickel. Not a number 2 CB. Good job Gay boy =]
But he is our #2 CB, and somehow, against all odds, we are 3rd against the pass. Go figure.

xstang102
11-14-2011, 07:07 AM
Anybody who thinks the Steelers lost last week solely because of Gay last week is an idiot.

Ok, flashback... We are winning with just a few seconds to go.... Right? Then they take two shots at Gay... He was beaten on both plays... The first one was overthrown, and the second one GAY was beaten for the Game winning TD. That's as clear as it gets.. Prior to that play, we were winning that game and we were in the driver's seat for the division... We did enough to win that game to win until Gay gets toasted! BYE, BYE, Divison, thank you Mr. Gay!!

Steel_Bus_24
11-14-2011, 07:29 AM
But he is our #2 CB, and somehow, against all odds, we are 3rd against the pass. Go figure.

Again we've been very fortunate to catch teams with their WR core banged up......and Gay and Lewis share the #2 based on the matchups...

We're making some progress though, and hopefully it'll help out a lot to have both Silverback and Woodley back wreaking havoc

tunes4life
11-14-2011, 07:59 AM
I'd like a Gay meter pictured chart so we can all keep track.

Well I'd like a larger resolution shot of your sig pic, so we all want things!

ETL
11-14-2011, 08:16 AM
I didn't know anything about Gay's life outside of football but after reading this, I can't help root for the guy. There are several things I like about him.
1. He seems humble - even after his game saving INT - he was giving the whole defense and Lebeau the credit
2. He seems level headed - does not let one week's lows linger into next week and visa versa, does not let one week's highs affect him the following week ... a la Baltimore Ravens
3. He is intelligent - finished school in 3.5 yrs; all on self-motivation
4. He know's that life is bigger than just football - his personal tragedy with his mother and what he learned and what he is doing now helping women who have been abused speaks volumes of him. He could have taken his money from football and blow it on drugs and stuff using his tragedy as an excuse. Instead, he had reached out and used his celebrity for good as a process for his healing.
5. He doesn't make excuses - (it says it right there in the article)
6. He seems genuine - to these women, William Gay is real and present, not afraid to be vulnerable with his own story. That's a hard place to get to and Gay is already there.

From hardship, Steelers' Gay shares hope

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, November 13, 2011

Read more: From hardship, Steelers' Gay shares hope - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_767079.html#ixzz1dgkNiyTL

Go ahead and trash William Gay on a message board. Light up the cornerback who, even in the midst of a solid season, is the most likely Steeler to be torched on sports-talk radio.

But before you eviscerate the player beaten on the Ravens' winning touchdown a week ago, draw back the curtain and look at the man.

Go back to last November, when Gay arrived at a Pittsburgh shelter to serve Thanksgiving dinner.

Look at the arch of his eyebrows when Barbara Nicholas, the development director of the Women's Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh, informs him he is at a haven for abused women.

Watch Gay tell his story to women with cuts and bruises that are as raw as their psyche is wounded.

Gay tells them how brave they are for leaving a bad situation, something his mother tried to do when she was fatally shot. He tells them how courageous they are for taking refuge in a building where some of the windows are bulletproof.

He later stops at every table, individually talking with the women and children.

He listens to them. He hugs them. He understands them.

"It was just so real," said Nicholas, her voice catching a bit at the recollection. "It was such a genuine moment for everyone."

Moments such as these are why Joe Whitt Jr. wonders whether fans would be so tough on Gay if they knew what he has had to overcome. Whitt was Gay's position coach at Louisville. They have taken different paths to the NFL but remain close.

"People can say what they want about the football player -- that's fine," said Whitt, who is in his second season as Green Bay's secondary coach. "But the character, the man? You can't say anything about the man because I know what he is. I know I couldn't go through the things he's had to work through."

Rising from the depths

Here's something you might not know about William Gay: He graduated from Louisville in 3 1/2 years with a degree in sports administration.

He never took fewer than 15 credits in a semester despite the demands of major college football. And he always picked his own classes.

"I didn't want to be that guy that had to depend on academic advisors telling me what I need to take, telling me what I don't have to take because of football," Gay said.

That need for control may stem from the time he didn't have it.

In 1992, Gay was 7 years old and living in Tallahassee, Fla. His mother was in an abusive relationship with his stepfather. The day she tried to leave, he shot her, then turned the gun on himself.

Carolyn Hall was 30 years old.

The bottom dropped out of Gay's world. He moved in with his grandmother, into an already crowded house where space was so tight that Gay sometimes shared a bedroom with three others.

He lashed out for the next couple of years. He fought constantly and caused enough trouble that he nearly got kicked out of school.

The turning point came when his grandmother and an uncle told Gay he was on a track toward jail. Or worse.

Life is unfair, they told him. Get over it.

"I had to change, actually grow up," Gay said. "I wanted to succeed in life."

He became a good student, excelled in sports and earned a scholarship to Louisville.

He started parts of four seasons. He showed so much football acumen that he called the defensive signals as a senior -- almost unheard of for a cornerback. He also intercepted six passes his final season.

The Steelers drafted him in the fifth round in 2007. Gay has played in every game in five NFL seasons. He will make his 28th career start today in Cincinnati.

He is plugged in enough to social and mainstream media to realize that his 28 starts are 28 too many for some people. Gay is largely indifferent to the criticism; he has dealt with much worse. He will talk about his story, as deeply personal as it is, but he doesn't "broadcast" it.

"I don't want to use it as an excuse or something to say, 'If I don't do this, it's because of this,' " he said. "I hate to make excuses."

Criticism 'unwarranted'

One way to get blocked from Ryan Clark's Twitter account is to trash William Gay on it. And not just because of his backstory.

"I think a lot of the criticism he gets is unwarranted," said Clark, a Steelers free safety. "Yeah, people have made plays. People make plays on a lot of cornerbacks. But I think, as well as he's playing this season, that needs to be recognized also."

Gay, who signed a one-year deal in August, has allowed 23 catches in the 39 times (59 percent) his receiver has been targeted this season, according to STATS, LLC. Only one Steelers player has allowed a higher percentage of completions: Troy Polamalu, who has yielded 23 catches on 36 targets (63.9).

Gay had largely stayed under the radar until last Sunday. Ravens rookie receiver Torrey Smith got behind the 5-foot-10, 190-pounder late in the fourth quarter and caught the winning touchdown before a stunned Heinz Field crowd. Clark had been late in helping Gay on the play.

Gay took responsibility for the touchdown immediately after the 23-20 loss. He did the same thing three days later.

What didn't register much more than a blip was what had happened earlier on the Ravens' winning drive: Smith slipped behind cornerback Ike Taylor, who is having a Pro Bowl-caliber season, but dropped Joe Flacco's pass in the end zone.

"People don't know football. They don't come in on Mondays and watch what we see," said Taylor, who works out with Gay during the offseason. "Gay has gotten a whole lot better. I know how hard he worked in the offseason, and it's showing."

Active off the field

In a five-minute video he participated in for a domestic abuse campaign, Gay talks about going to the hospital after his mother was shot and asking repeatedly why he couldn't see her. He talks about the devastation of losing his mother at such a young age.

"If I had another chance to see my mother today, I would tell her that I love her and I know the courage she had to try to get out of her situation," Gay says. "I would tell her I truly believed in her."

Gay has done what he can to combat domestic abuse, the leading cause of injury among women 15-44 in the United States, according to the U.S. Surgeon General. He has donated his time for several public-service announcements. He is slated to speak to judges, parole officers and counselors, among others, about the need for preventive measures.

Gay has given the Women's Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh a face for its campaign to combat domestic abuse. He also provides an example to kids living with domestic abuse and the sense of hopelessness that accompanies it.

"It's just great to have someone who is so thoughtful and considerate and really wise for how young he is to step forward," Nicholas said, "and do something so courageous and so meaningful -- not just for the women, but for the children."

Gay will return to the shelter in the coming weeks to serve dinner. He again will thank the women and children. He will tell them they are braver than they think. He will shine some desperately needed light into their lives.

Moments like these, away from the public, are why Whitt said, Gay "is somebody that I want my son to grow up to be like."

The son who grew up without his mother rolled up the jersey on his left arm after practice recently. He revealed a tattoo of a cross, framed by his mother's name and the date of her death.

"I know she's watching every day," Gay said. "It just brings joy to me that I'm doing things positive, and I know she's smiling. We'll be reunited one day."

Read more: From hardship, Steelers' Gay shares hope - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_767079.html#ixzz1dgk7gs1J

Big Daddy Beast
11-14-2011, 08:57 AM
The most important game of the year is never played during the regular season.
If you're 9-6 going into your final game and a win puts you into the playoffs and a loss keeps you out, and you lose, then wouldn't your most important game of the year had been played in the regular season?

I'm just saying is all I'm saying.

MDSteel15
11-14-2011, 09:21 AM

^^^^ :noidea: :hatsoff:

MDSteel15
11-14-2011, 09:24 AM
Ok, flashback... We are winning with just a few seconds to go.... Right? Then they take two shots at Gay... He was beaten on both plays... The first one was overthrown, and the second one GAY was beaten for the Game winning TD. That's as clear as it gets.. Prior to that play, we were winning that game and we were in the driver's seat for the division... We did enough to win that game to win until Gay gets toasted! BYE, BYE, Divison, thank you Mr. Gay!!

So you are saying it was his fault that the refs didn't throw a flag on Smith for doing the Michael Irvin to seperate from him to be able to catch the ball? You a just Gay-phobic when it come to this subject.... :chuckle:

MDSteel15
11-14-2011, 09:28 AM
I didn't know anything about Gay's life outside of football but after reading this, I can't help root for the guy. There are several things I like about him.
1. He seems humble - even after his game saving INT - he was giving the whole defense and Lebeau the credit
2. He seems level headed - does not let one week's lows linger into next week and visa versa, does not let one week's highs affect him the following week ... a la Baltimore Ravens
3. He is intelligent - finished school in 3.5 yrs; all on self-motivation
4. He know's that life is bigger than just football - his personal tragedy with his mother and what he learned and what he is doing now helping women who have been abused speaks volumes of him. He could have taken his money from football and blow it on drugs and stuff using his tragedy as an excuse. Instead, he had reached out and used his celebrity for good as a process for his healing.
5. He doesn't make excuses - (it says it right there in the article)
6. He seems genuine - to these women, William Gay is real and present, not afraid to be vulnerable with his own story. That's a hard place to get to and Gay is already there.

From hardship, Steelers' Gay shares hope

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, November 13, 2011

Read more: From hardship, Steelers' Gay shares hope - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_767079.html#ixzz1dgkNiyTL

Go ahead and trash William Gay on a message board. Light up the cornerback who, even in the midst of a solid season, is the most likely Steeler to be torched on sports-talk radio.

But before you eviscerate the player beaten on the Ravens' winning touchdown a week ago, draw back the curtain and look at the man.

Go back to last November, when Gay arrived at a Pittsburgh shelter to serve Thanksgiving dinner.

Look at the arch of his eyebrows when Barbara Nicholas, the development director of the Women's Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh, informs him he is at a haven for abused women.

Watch Gay tell his story to women with cuts and bruises that are as raw as their psyche is wounded.

Gay tells them how brave they are for leaving a bad situation, something his mother tried to do when she was fatally shot. He tells them how courageous they are for taking refuge in a building where some of the windows are bulletproof.

He later stops at every table, individually talking with the women and children.

He listens to them. He hugs them. He understands them.

"It was just so real," said Nicholas, her voice catching a bit at the recollection. "It was such a genuine moment for everyone."

Moments such as these are why Joe Whitt Jr. wonders whether fans would be so tough on Gay if they knew what he has had to overcome. Whitt was Gay's position coach at Louisville. They have taken different paths to the NFL but remain close.

"People can say what they want about the football player -- that's fine," said Whitt, who is in his second season as Green Bay's secondary coach. "But the character, the man? You can't say anything about the man because I know what he is. I know I couldn't go through the things he's had to work through."

Rising from the depths

Here's something you might not know about William Gay: He graduated from Louisville in 3 1/2 years with a degree in sports administration.

He never took fewer than 15 credits in a semester despite the demands of major college football. And he always picked his own classes.

"I didn't want to be that guy that had to depend on academic advisors telling me what I need to take, telling me what I don't have to take because of football," Gay said.

That need for control may stem from the time he didn't have it.

In 1992, Gay was 7 years old and living in Tallahassee, Fla. His mother was in an abusive relationship with his stepfather. The day she tried to leave, he shot her, then turned the gun on himself.

Carolyn Hall was 30 years old.

The bottom dropped out of Gay's world. He moved in with his grandmother, into an already crowded house where space was so tight that Gay sometimes shared a bedroom with three others.

He lashed out for the next couple of years. He fought constantly and caused enough trouble that he nearly got kicked out of school.

The turning point came when his grandmother and an uncle told Gay he was on a track toward jail. Or worse.

Life is unfair, they told him. Get over it.

"I had to change, actually grow up," Gay said. "I wanted to succeed in life."

He became a good student, excelled in sports and earned a scholarship to Louisville.

He started parts of four seasons. He showed so much football acumen that he called the defensive signals as a senior -- almost unheard of for a cornerback. He also intercepted six passes his final season.

The Steelers drafted him in the fifth round in 2007. Gay has played in every game in five NFL seasons. He will make his 28th career start today in Cincinnati.

He is plugged in enough to social and mainstream media to realize that his 28 starts are 28 too many for some people. Gay is largely indifferent to the criticism; he has dealt with much worse. He will talk about his story, as deeply personal as it is, but he doesn't "broadcast" it.

"I don't want to use it as an excuse or something to say, 'If I don't do this, it's because of this,' " he said. "I hate to make excuses."

Criticism 'unwarranted'

One way to get blocked from Ryan Clark's Twitter account is to trash William Gay on it. And not just because of his backstory.

"I think a lot of the criticism he gets is unwarranted," said Clark, a Steelers free safety. "Yeah, people have made plays. People make plays on a lot of cornerbacks. But I think, as well as he's playing this season, that needs to be recognized also."

Gay, who signed a one-year deal in August, has allowed 23 catches in the 39 times (59 percent) his receiver has been targeted this season, according to STATS, LLC. Only one Steelers player has allowed a higher percentage of completions: Troy Polamalu, who has yielded 23 catches on 36 targets (63.9).

Gay had largely stayed under the radar until last Sunday. Ravens rookie receiver Torrey Smith got behind the 5-foot-10, 190-pounder late in the fourth quarter and caught the winning touchdown before a stunned Heinz Field crowd. Clark had been late in helping Gay on the play.

Gay took responsibility for the touchdown immediately after the 23-20 loss. He did the same thing three days later.

What didn't register much more than a blip was what had happened earlier on the Ravens' winning drive: Smith slipped behind cornerback Ike Taylor, who is having a Pro Bowl-caliber season, but dropped Joe Flacco's pass in the end zone.

"People don't know football. They don't come in on Mondays and watch what we see," said Taylor, who works out with Gay during the offseason. "Gay has gotten a whole lot better. I know how hard he worked in the offseason, and it's showing."

Active off the field

In a five-minute video he participated in for a domestic abuse campaign, Gay talks about going to the hospital after his mother was shot and asking repeatedly why he couldn't see her. He talks about the devastation of losing his mother at such a young age.

"If I had another chance to see my mother today, I would tell her that I love her and I know the courage she had to try to get out of her situation," Gay says. "I would tell her I truly believed in her."

Gay has done what he can to combat domestic abuse, the leading cause of injury among women 15-44 in the United States, according to the U.S. Surgeon General. He has donated his time for several public-service announcements. He is slated to speak to judges, parole officers and counselors, among others, about the need for preventive measures.

Gay has given the Women's Center & Shelter of Greater Pittsburgh a face for its campaign to combat domestic abuse. He also provides an example to kids living with domestic abuse and the sense of hopelessness that accompanies it.

"It's just great to have someone who is so thoughtful and considerate and really wise for how young he is to step forward," Nicholas said, "and do something so courageous and so meaningful -- not just for the women, but for the children."

Gay will return to the shelter in the coming weeks to serve dinner. He again will thank the women and children. He will tell them they are braver than they think. He will shine some desperately needed light into their lives.

Moments like these, away from the public, are why Whitt said, Gay "is somebody that I want my son to grow up to be like."

The son who grew up without his mother rolled up the jersey on his left arm after practice recently. He revealed a tattoo of a cross, framed by his mother's name and the date of her death.

"I know she's watching every day," Gay said. "It just brings joy to me that I'm doing things positive, and I know she's smiling. We'll be reunited one day."

Read more: From hardship, Steelers' Gay shares hope - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_767079.html#ixzz1dgk7gs1J

Awesome read! :thumbsup: :hatsoff: to Mr Gay

MDSteel15
11-14-2011, 09:31 AM
If you're 9-6 going into your final game and a win puts you into the playoffs and a loss keeps you out, and you lose, then wouldn't your most important game of the year had been played in the regular season?

I'm just saying is all I'm saying.

Then the most important game of the year would be that 16th game! Not the 8th against a so called rival! 3 teams right now tied for 1st in our division... Ravens keep playing to the level of the competition and they haven't played Cincy yet!

BKAnthem
11-14-2011, 11:42 AM
So you are saying it was his fault that the refs didn't throw a flag on Smith for doing the Michael Irvin to seperate from him to be able to catch the ball? You a just Gay-phobic when it come to this subject.... :chuckle:

pushing off and shoving...that's football...Smith just got the better of it that's all.

finesward
11-14-2011, 09:50 PM
New member, check the date.. I just don't post.. I joined the same year you did.. LMAO!

My bad, I see you've been a solid GAY basher since 2009 by your posts. Oddly enough you decided to come out of retirement after a pretty solid season and precisely after one of his best games featuring a clutch INT in the 4th Q...

The gay rage must burn deep within you

Steelerfreak58
11-14-2011, 10:43 PM
Gay has been doing a solid job this year. DB is the worst position to play especially now that Goodell has been around making the NFL another rendition of Arena football.

Danny136200
11-14-2011, 11:17 PM
Thinking like a Ravens fan, Iike it!

Danny136200
11-14-2011, 11:29 PM
pushing off and shoving...that's football...Smith just got the better of it that's all.
No not really, that is a penalty. Offensive pass interference does not get called often enough, IMO. Some defenders get called for PI because incidental contact. Offensive players nowadays get all of the benefit of the doubt, which somewhat a shame.

Aussie Steeler
11-14-2011, 11:37 PM

Yeh he is our number 2 cb. I was making a point. Like when someone says "he's not an nfl quarterback" they're obviously making a point saying they lack the talent/phsique whatever to be that even though they are playing at that position.
and that we are ranked 3rd against the pass in terms of yards allowed shows testimony for our linebackers more than willie gay imo. willie gay hardly gets targetted out deep cos our linebackers get to the qb for pressure and that there is usually help coverage for gays side.
as said before, hes good against short medium routes but isnt a number 2 cb. he fits in the dime package.

xstang102
11-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Thinking like a Ravens fan, Iike it!

The Ravens now have the tie breaker and the Benglas won't match is in wins period.. It's not rocket science to realize which game was more important. The post was plus 5 for the game changer performance this week and minus 5 respectively last week. Now way in Hell are those games equal, so the logic is flawed....

When he makes two to three solid plays on deep passes in one game vs a solid wr without getting beaten or causing a flag 15-25 yards, I'll give him credit... I have a feeling I'll be waiting awhile.. I don't care about knocking down short passes, because our linebackers do that all the time. It's easy to stay with someone the first couple seconds.. Let's see him cover someone deeper without help...

What makes it worse is he was beaten earlier in that game changing drive... How do you get beat immediately after, unless you just don't have skills... He knew it was coming and he still couldn't get it done!

Bayz101
11-16-2011, 02:41 AM
There's a whole lotta members I've never seen before in here.

finesward
11-16-2011, 06:07 AM
The Ravens now have the tie breaker and the Benglas won't match is in wins period.. It's not rocket science to realize which game was more important. The post was plus 5 for the game changer performance this week and minus 5 respectively last week. Now way in Hell are those games equal, so the logic is flawed....

When he makes two to three solid plays on deep passes in one game vs a solid wr without getting beaten or causing a flag 15-25 yards, I'll give him credit... I have a feeling I'll be waiting awhile.. I don't care about knocking down short passes, because our linebackers do that all the time. It's easy to stay with someone the first couple seconds.. Let's see him cover someone deeper without help...

What makes it worse is he was beaten earlier in that game changing drive... How do you get beat immediately after, unless you just don't have skills... He knew it was coming and he still couldn't get it done!

So your saying until Gay is a shutdown corner you won't give him any credit.? :doh:

You don't seem to complain about Ike at all, when just a few years ago he was benched for repeatedly getting beat by donald driver I believe it was. Point is, any DB can get beat, even if they have the skills like Ike apparently has now that he's shutting down one side of the field. When he went up against Fitz this year he was getting beat and called for holding and PI...so I take it you don't care for him either? :blah: if we were watching the game at the same bar I would be as faaaaaaar away from you as I could get

xstang102
11-16-2011, 11:44 AM
So your saying until Gay is a shutdown corner you won't give him any credit.? :doh:

You don't seem to complain about Ike at all, when just a few years ago he was benched for repeatedly getting beat by donald driver I believe it was. Point is, any DB can get beat, even if they have the skills like Ike apparently has now that he's shutting down one side of the field. When he went up against Fitz this year he was getting beat and called for holding and PI...so I take it you don't care for him either? :blah: if we were watching the game at the same bar I would be as faaaaaaar away from you as I could get

Shut down corner? I never said that. T.Smith isn't even the normal number 2 receiver for the Ratbirds, he was filling in for L.Evans...Shut down corners are put on the other team's best receiver.

I'll just want a DB that isn't 3-5 yards off the wr after getting beaten a play or two before... That brings me back to my point, how do you get beaten deep twice on the same drive? He had to know it was coming after he let Smith get so far in front of him a couple plays before. It's like he has no closing speed or ball awareness at all while the ball is in the air...

You are comparing Fitz and T. Smith.. Really? LMAO!

This might be part of the problem:
William Gay 4.51 (Pro Day)
Birth Date January 1, 1985
Birth Place Tallahassee, FL
Height 5-10
Weight 190 lbs.

Here is the video.. He was grabbing him as he went by, there was no keeping up (at 14 seconds)
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d823dc3d4/WK-9-Can-t-Miss-Play-Smith-s-game-winning-TD?r_src=ramp

Fire Arians
11-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Shut down corner? I never said that. T.Smith isn't even the normal number 2 receiver for the Ratbirds, he was filling in for L.Evans...Shut down corners are put on the other team's best receiver.

I'll just want a DB that isn't 3-5 yards off the wr after getting beaten a play or two before... That brings me back to my point, how do you get beaten deep twice on the same drive? He had to know it was coming after he let Smith get so far in front of him a couple plays before. It's like he has no closing speed or ball awareness at all while the ball is in the air...

Height 5-10
Weight 190 lbs.

Here is the video.. He was grabbing him as he went by, there was no keeping up (at 14 seconds)
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d823dc3d4/WK-9-Can-t-Miss-Play-Smith-s-game-winning-TD?r_src=ramp

Which is why Lewis needs to be lined up against faster receivers. Gay just doesn't have the speed to cover fast wr's deep. He is quick enough to cover most slot receivers inside, but leaving him outside against a burner is a liability.

Lewis gave up a catch against tory smith, but i dont think the rookie could have beat him deep. even mike wallace had a tough time getting by him in training camp

DanRooney
11-16-2011, 02:00 PM
Lewis should be always lined up wide. Gay seems to be getting better breaking up those quick passes in the middle of the field. I'm not a big fan of Gay but he is having a great year.

I said before that Torrey Smith TD was Clark's responsibility over the top. He was out of position on the play.

ricardisimo
11-16-2011, 02:08 PM
For two or three weeks in a row Lewis has allowed 100% of the passes thrown at him to be completed. Not sure what you guys are seeing that I'm not.

finesward
11-17-2011, 12:21 PM

I'll just want a DB that isn't 3-5 yards off the wr after getting beaten a play or two before... That brings me back to my point, how do you get beaten deep twice on the same drive? ouHe had to know it was coming after he let Smith get so far in front of him a couple plays before. It's like he has no closing speed or ball awareness at all while the ball is in the air...

Height 5-10i
Weight 190 lbs.

A db that does not give up a deep route without safety help 2-3 times a game is by definition a shut down corner.

Actually agree with Dan here, there should have been safety help that last drive. Your just coming off as too eager to blame one player for that loss. Don't tear that acl jerking that knee so much will ya?

Fire Arians
11-17-2011, 12:32 PM
For two or three weeks in a row Lewis has allowed 100% of the passes thrown at him to be completed. Not sure what you guys are seeing that I'm not.

he's not being targeted much though. that's usually a sign that your coverage is good

he shown the speed to cover torrey smith without getting beat deep when he was assigned to him

ricardisimo
11-17-2011, 01:26 PM
he's not being targeted much though. that's usually a sign that your coverage is good

he shown the speed to cover torrey smith without getting beat deep when he was assigned to him
Yes and no. He's also not on the field nearly as often as Gay or Ike. I certainly want to believe that he's good and getting better.

steelers33
11-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Look at the draft profile of Keenan Lewis, and one of the knocks on him is questionable deep speed. He ran a 4.49 40 yard dash while Gay actually ran a 4.48 40 yard dash. So I don't get what you guys mean that Lewis can cover these fast receivers and Gay cannot. Also, Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen run a 4.5 40 yard dash. As for Ike, his most recent time was a 4.26, and he could even be faster than that.

Fire Arians
11-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Look at the draft profile of Keenan Lewis, and one of the knocks on him is questionable deep speed. He ran a 4.49 40 yard dash while Gay actually ran a 4.48 40 yard dash. So I don't get what you guys mean that Lewis can cover these fast receivers and Gay cannot. Also, Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen run a 4.5 40 yard dash. As for Ike, his most recent time was a 4.26, and he could even be faster than that.

40 times can be a little deceiving. some people have better 'track' techniques which make them clock better times, but game speed is a different thing. Gay seems a lot slower in game than lewis is. word in last year and this year's training camp was that none of our wr's were able to beat him deep, and even wallace couldn't do it.

ricardisimo
11-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Personally I don't see physical traits being what holds Gay back. He just seems to have mental lapses, sometimes game-long mental lapses where he's out of position perpetually. Then he'll go five or six games straight doing just fine. Let's face it, more than half of the game is mental at CB (unlike, say, O-line or D-line), reading plays as they develop and anticipating properly. He really doesn't get beat deep very often at all, certainly no more so this year than Ike or Keenan have been - and everyone seems to agree that they're so much faster than Gay.

I still think people are wrongly obsessing over the Jordy Nelson TD, and they need to get over it. He didn't get burned, and there was nothing anyone could have done to stop it. Not Gay, not anyone.

xstang102
11-18-2011, 07:01 AM
40 times can be a little deceiving. some people have better 'track' techniques which make them clock better times, but game speed is a different thing. Gay seems a lot slower in game than lewis is. word in last year and this year's training camp was that none of our wr's were able to beat him deep, and even wallace couldn't do it.

What he said! :hatsoff: