PDA

View Full Version : Third Down Brown

jjpro11
11-13-2011, 09:35 PM
this guy has become Mr. Clutch for us.. it all started with that 3rd down miracle last year vs the Ravens. now he is catching everything thrown his way and has developed a knack for converting 3rd downs.

GMU Steeler
11-13-2011, 09:37 PM
Can you believe we got him in the sixth round? Unreal. Good kid, good scouting, and good player :).

steelerchad
11-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Bobby Shaw. Remember that guy. He was mr. 3rd down for us for a little while.
The difference is AB looks like he's going to be a top tier wideout for the next 10 years. To think that we stole Wallace in the 3rd and AB in the 6th round in back to back drafts is unbelievable. Hines is done, but I'm liking our future at wideout if we hang on to Wallace. Wallace, Sanders, Brown, with a veteran journeyman at #4 and #5 and we'll be set for a long time.

skinart82
11-13-2011, 10:40 PM
That's why long third downs don't worry me! They struggle with third and two, but nail third and nineteen.

mizzouristeeler
11-14-2011, 12:13 AM
That's why long third downs don't worry me! They struggle with third and two, but nail third and nineteen.

Exactly

DanRooney
11-14-2011, 12:51 AM
Bobby Shaw. Remember that guy. He was mr. 3rd down for us for a little while.
The difference is AB looks like he's going to be a top tier wideout for the next 10 years. To think that we stole Wallace in the 3rd and AB in the 6th round in back to back drafts is unbelievable. Hines is done, but I'm liking our future at wideout if we hang on to Wallace. Wallace, Sanders, Brown, with a veteran journeyman at #4 and #5 and we'll be set for a long time.

Crazy just 3 months ago he was "better than Fitzgerald." :wink02:

Merchant
11-14-2011, 01:08 AM

Ahahaha.. I was just thinking this exact same thing today.

sharkweek
11-14-2011, 06:43 AM
with Cotchery coming on strong from basically nowhere in the past two weeks, I have all the faith in this WR corps for the foreseeable future, Ward or not.

steelfury02
11-14-2011, 09:46 AM
As long as I don't get the third down browns when the defense can't get off the field . . .

JCPsteelers
11-14-2011, 01:56 PM
Our receivers are the strength of the team. Brown and Wallace should be the starters. And once Sanders gets back and with Cotchery coming on, Ward is like the 5th best WR on the team.

Fire Arians
11-14-2011, 02:13 PM
really impressed with brown this season. I thought it would be emmanuel sanders doing what brown is doing, but it's all good. as long as someone in a steeler uniform is stepping up that's all good with me. Though I would really like to see sanders get more touches. With cotchery proving to be a nasty weapon though, sanders might see the field less.

steelerchad
11-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Crazy just 3 months ago he was "better than Fitzgerald." :wink02:

Who would say such a stupid thing as that. Hines was pretty much in decline mode last year as well. He's one of my all time favorites, but father time caught up to him last season.

DanRooney
11-14-2011, 09:55 PM
Who would say such a stupid thing as that. Hines was pretty much in decline mode last year as well. He's one of my all time favorites, but father time caught up to him last season.

Dude all I know is I was flamed hard for saying Brown should be the #2 before the season started. "Hines brings leadership, run blocking, etc." I'm not go digging for the post, but it was said by someone on this board and I did laugh my ass off.

tony hipchest
11-14-2011, 10:29 PM
Dude all I know is I was flamed hard for saying Brown should be the #2 before the season started. "Hines brings leadership, run blocking, etc." I'm not go digging for the post, but it was said by someone on this board and I did laugh my ass off.awwww... poor thing.

thumper really got under your skin, huh? you talk about it every day. he is gone now. you can let it go.

DanRooney
11-14-2011, 10:33 PM
awwww... poor thing.

thumper really got under your skin, huh? you talk about it every day. he is gone now. you can let it go.

thumper? He's never responded to any of my posts and I haven't really seen him here at all this season.

I'm sorry I proved you wrong again. :chuckle: Brown sure does look lost out there without Hines' leadership and blocking.

finesward
11-14-2011, 10:36 PM
awwww... poor thing.

Please, Dan, tell me about another time you said something and someone disagreed with you... :shootme:

:irock: :checkit:

Bayz101
11-15-2011, 12:09 AM
Would you two just kiss and make up :chuckle:

Bayz101
11-15-2011, 12:13 AM
Or beat the hell out of each other.

jjpro11
11-15-2011, 02:47 AM
who do you think was the bigger steal? Wallace in round 3 or Brown in round 6?

Wallace is the supreme talent of the two. even when he's not catching the ball, you can't overlook his ability to stretch the field and keep safeties deep. just an educated guess, but i'd say the talent level from draft picks really starts to drop off after round 3.

Brown has turned into a clutch catching machine. he catches everything thrown to him and can run any kind of route. he's got serious wheels, but we haven't really used him deep since the Ravens playoff game last year and the preseason. getting a talent like Brown in round 6 is like hitting the draft lotto. the last couple rounds are merely a crap-shoot, otherwise teams would have taken their guy earlier in the draft if they truly felt he would pan out.

Fire Arians
11-15-2011, 02:51 AM
who do you think was the bigger steal? Wallace in round 3 or Brown in round 6?

Wallace is the supreme talent of the two. even when he's not catching the ball, you can't overlook his ability to stretch the field and keep safeties deep. just an educated guess, but i'd say the talent level from draft picks really starts to drop off after round 3.

Brown has turned into a clutch catching machine. he catches everything thrown to him and can run any kind of route. he's got serious wheels, but we haven't really used him deep since the Ravens playoff game last year and the preseason. getting a talent like Brown in round 6 is like hitting the draft lotto. the last couple rounds are merely a crap-shoot, otherwise teams would have taken their guy earlier in the draft if they truly felt he would pan out.

brown in the 6th. 6th round picks more often than not are cut and forgotten, or lifetime backups. 3rd rounders are usually expected to become starters at some point.

btw instead of '3rd down' antonio brown, it would be more fitting to name him 1st down antonio brown :chuckle:

GMU Steeler
11-15-2011, 11:10 AM
brown in the 6th. 6th round picks more often than not are cut and forgotten, or lifetime backups. 3rd rounders are usually expected to become starters at some point.

btw instead of '3rd down' antonio brown, it would be more fitting to name him 1st down antonio brown :chuckle:

This. And it's nice that Brown's showing he's not a one hit wonder though his big catch against the Ravens last year in the playoffs was awesome. Anyhow the trade down into the third round we made with the Broncos in 2009 was a smart one. I know Kraig Urbik didn't work out for us but between Wallace and Keenan Lewis who looks like he could end up being a number 2 CB possibly, that was a smart trade. And the pick the Broncos used with #64 is a bust I am pretty sure.

theplatypus
11-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Dude all I know is I was flamed hard for saying Brown should be the #2 before the season started. "Hines brings leadership, run blocking, etc." I'm not go digging for the post, but it was said by someone on this board and I did laugh my ass off.

You weren't "flamed hard" for that. You were flamed for being your usual dipshit self and crying about Tomlin's supposed veteran bias while ignoring the fact the Brown was still struggling with the playbook, hot reads etc. By all accounts Brown has put in the hours with the playbook/studying film and his playing time reflects that.

DanRooney
11-15-2011, 01:27 PM
You weren't "flamed hard" for that. You were flamed for being your usual dipshit self and crying about Tomlin's supposed veteran bias while ignoring the fact the Brown was still struggling with the playbook, hot reads etc. By all accounts Brown has put in the hours with the playbook/studying film and his playing time reflects that.

Yeah and that dipshit was one of probably 3 people who actually understood why Brown was a bigger threat. You and hipchest were praising Ward for intangeables like leadership and blocking. He's a wide receiver. Not a f'n fullback.

Brown has been known as a a hard worker since he got on this team. His offseason practices are pretty well documented in the media. You don't let a guy with that kind of talent sit. That's like sitting Julio Jones because he's a rookie in favor of whoever the hell their number 2 was last year. Hines is not productive anymore as a #2, especially since we're throwing the ball about 70 percent of the time. He had a great run while it lasted.

theplatypus
11-15-2011, 02:39 PM
Yeah and that dipshit was one of probably 3 people who actually understood why Brown was a bigger threat. You and hipchest were praising Ward for intangeables like leadership and blocking. He's a wide receiver. Not a f'n fullback.

Brown has been known as a a hard worker since he got on this team. His offseason practices are pretty well documented in the media. You don't let a guy with that kind of talent sit. That's like sitting Julio Jones because he's a rookie in favor of whoever the hell their number 2 was last year. Hines is not productive anymore as a #2, especially since we're throwing the ball about 70 percent of the time. He had a great run while it lasted.

Nice try, but you fail yet once again. Not once did you see me praise Ward for his intangibles or anything remotely close. THe only thing I ever said was when Brown knows the playbook fully and they know he's going to be where he's supposed to be when he's supposed to be there he will take over. And that my little mentally challenged friend is exactly what is happening. Maybe I should start a little dannyrooneydong column. Although, I would struggle with nancy grace sensationalist bullshit that you gravitate towards.

DanRooney
11-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Nice try, but you fail yet once again. Not once did you see me praise Ward for his intangibles or anything remotely close. THe only thing I ever said was when Brown knows the playbook fully and they know he's going to be where he's supposed to be when he's supposed to be there he will take over. And that my little mentally challenged friend is exactly what is happening. Maybe I should start a little dannyrooneydong column. Although, I would struggle with nancy grace sensationalist bullshit that you gravitate towards.

Umadbro? :sofunny: I love it how a handful of you go on to personal attacks in a football forum. You think calling me a dipshit or mentally challenged offends me? It doesn't, but I'm obviously getting under your skin without the insults. Very amusing how you can get so angry when you're proven wrong.

Anyways back to football.

theplatypus
11-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Mad? hardly

Think of yourself as the bug the cat swats around when he's board.

DanRooney
11-15-2011, 04:07 PM
board

UF-Steeler
11-15-2011, 04:09 PM
board

You're childish, pompous, and your arrogance knows no limits.

DanRooney
11-15-2011, 04:29 PM
You're childish, pompous, and your arrogance knows no limits.

Arrogant? I'll drink to that :drink: :toofunny:

Fire Arians
11-15-2011, 04:47 PM
8rwPovyR9HY

DanRooney
11-15-2011, 05:23 PM
8rwPovyR9HY

:chuckle:

UF-Steeler
11-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Arrogant? I'll drink to that :drink: :toofunny:

I just wanted to be a part of the DanRooney bashing! :applaudit:

Brown is a lot of fun to watch.

DanRooney
11-15-2011, 08:41 PM
I just wanted to be a part of the DanRooney bashing! :applaudit:

Brown is a lot of fun to watch.

Touche :hatsoff:

I'll be expecting a DanRooney meter after the bye :tt03:

tony hipchest
11-15-2011, 10:10 PM
we already have a Gay Meter. :coffee:

finesward
11-15-2011, 10:15 PM
Umadbro? :sofunny: I love it how a handful of you go on to personal attacks in a football forum. You think calling me a dipshit or mentally challenged offends me? It doesn't, but I'm obviously getting under your skin without the insults. Very amusing how you can get so angry when you're proven wrong.

Anyways back to football.

I'll try to say this with as much decorum as possible so you have nowhere to deflect (bringing up the insults and ignoring the rest as your thumping counterpart used to do so predictably) you didn't prove anyone wrong, you aren't smarter than the coaches, and your not getting under anyone's skin. Your just making yourself look like "a dipshit or mentally challenged. Just a little fyi from someone who casually remembers that debate about whether brown should be starting. Of course with the talent he should be starting, but talent doesn't = the right to start. Sweed had all the talent in the world in college, because he was more talented than Hines could you make the same argument that he should of been ahead of him on the depth chart? Of course not. Brown was not polished enough, especially with the lack of OTA's to start immediately...not when there isn't a pressing need at WR. I think they worked him in just like they did wallace and both have and will continue to benefit from it. That's just me :noidea:

finesward
11-15-2011, 10:16 PM
we already have a Gay Meter. :coffee:

tony hipchest
11-15-2011, 10:26 PM
i think some posters learned a valuable lesson out of the NFL 101 handbook this season. teams who are struggling, or maybe on the come, have the luxory to throw a young player into the mix for nothing else than potential and raw talent (in some cases, desperation).

other teams are "been there, done that" and primed to do it again. the young players on those teams must prove themselves on the field with consistancy (along with being on the mark with their studies and practices). nothing is handed to them, and they must earn every opportunity they get. it is often more difficult for them as opposed to talented players who go to teams that suck.

one is not an UberGenius for stating that sanders and brown are talented and have a ton of potential. that was on display their 1st year in camp and in limited spot duty their rookie year and onto the superbowl.

however one does show football accumen by understanding the 2nd year players were locked out, understanding the steelers way, and knowing 2nd year players wouldnt be tossed into a fire in favor of a seasoned vet.

those ones were the ones saying to be patient, and if brown and sanders put in the work, their time would soon come.

...all as accurately predicted.

the same thing has been happening in green bay. i bet some steelerfans think donald driver isnt important.

tony hipchest
11-15-2011, 10:30 PM
I'll try to say this with as much decorum as possible so you have nowhere to deflect (bringing up the insults and ignoring the rest as your thumping counterpart used to do so predictably) you didn't prove anyone wrong, you aren't smarter than the coaches, and your not getting under anyone's skin. Your just making yourself look like "a dipshit or mentally challenged. Just a little fyi from someone who casually remembers that debate about whether brown should be starting. Of course with the talent he should be starting, but talent doesn't = the right to start. Sweed had all the talent in the world in college, because he was more talented than Hines could you make the same argument that he should of been ahead of him on the depth chart? Of course not. Brown was not polished enough, especially with the lack of OTA's to start immediately...not when there isn't a pressing need at WR. I think they worked him in just like they did wallace and both have and will continue to benefit from it. That's just me :noidea:

well said.

exactly how it is in the real world and how SUCCESSFUL teams operate.

Bayz101
11-16-2011, 03:21 AM

:rofl:

DanRooney
11-16-2011, 08:08 AM

You guys were high on crack. A delusional bunch who didn't know "football 101." 5 weeks ago, Hines Ward was the cemented #2 and I coundn't change your mind. Forget productivity or who was more dangerous and beneficial to the offense. You were arguing that Hines was the best #2 in the league. "Look at his numbers last year, he can you name another #2 in the league with that?" Or "he has leadership and is the best run blocker in the league. No way you can bench him!" :blah:

Now it's "of course he's the #2 with his skillset. You didn't call it. It's obvious."

Please kid. You could see he was ready to take over from preseason. It may be obvious to you now, well after the fact that it actually happened, but don't go pretending that either of you three knew Hines was well on his way to be the #4/5 receiver.

StainlessStill
11-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Third Down Brown? How about 1st, 2nd, 3rd, & Special teams down-Brown? Guy does it all. I seriously can't remember a hiccup from this guy when his number his called (even dating back to last season, preferably the intense amount of pressure on that 3rd and 19 in the divisional round.) There's not one time to where he's made a bumbling act on his part. If there's ANY clutch player on this team at the moment, it's Antonio Brown.

Thanks for sucking, Limas Sweed!

theplatypus
11-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Please kid. You could see he was ready to take over from preseason. It may be obvious to you now, well after the fact that it actually happened, but don't go pretending that either of you three knew Hines was well on his way to be the #4/5 receiver.

I know you're not lumping me in there , if you are you've proven yourself wrong yet once again.

Here's some of the conversation from the last time you pulled this bs. But, go right ahead deflect and play your stupid games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRooney
Bullshit. Antonio Brown is better Hines Ward at this point in his career but as long as Ward is healthy, he'll never be ahead on the depth chart.

Originally Posted by theplatypus
Is he doing all the little things that make Hines a great wr? That's a question that neither of us can answer so don't even bother trying.
But we do know that Brown was still having problems with the playbook in this training camp. You're not going to take a starters place if you don't know the playbook.

Originally Posted by DanRooney
I don't know about the little things but he's doing the big things that set him apart from Ward in terms of big play potential and getting open MUCH quicker. He also has that same Santonio swag on him that you don't see in very many receivers.

Originally Posted by theplatypus
But he's still struggling with the playbook, or at least he was as recently as last week. Personally I hope that when the time comes Hines man's up and says hey he's better, start him. If Hines isn't capable or willing then Tomlin better or he'll be out of a job. This is a business first and foremost and Tomlin knows it. I don't think for a second that he would risk his livelyhood for some misguided allegiance.

Look there, Brown finally started doing all the little things that are needed to supplant a starter in the NFL. Go figure both Tomlin and Ward did the right thing too. As we have said all along you aren't taking a starters job based on talent alone. You have to know the playbook, know hot reads etc.. At the time Brown didn't and didn't deserve to start because of it. Better luck next time.

UF-Steeler
11-16-2011, 11:22 AM
You guys were high on crack. A delusional bunch who didn't know "football 101." 5 weeks ago, Hines Ward was the cemented #2 and I coundn't change your mind. Forget productivity or who was more dangerous and beneficial to the offense. You were arguing that Hines was the best #2 in the league. "Look at his numbers last year, he can you name another #2 in the league with that?" Or "he has leadership and is the best run blocker in the league. No way you can bench him!" :blah:

Now it's "of course he's the #2 with his skillset. You didn't call it. It's obvious."

I am so happy a person with such lucid visions of the present and future of the Steelers team and their depth chart can grace us with his presence on Steelersfever. Child, please...

DanRooney
11-16-2011, 02:56 PM
I know you're not lumping me in there , if you are you've proven yourself wrong yet once again.

Here's some of the conversation from the last time you pulled this bs. But, go right ahead deflect and play your stupid games.

Look there, Brown finally started doing all the little things that are needed to supplant a starter in the NFL. Go figure both Tomlin and Ward did the right thing too. As we have said all along you aren't taking a starters job based on talent alone. You have to know the playbook, know hot reads etc.. At the time Brown didn't and didn't deserve to start because of it. Better luck next time.

Better luck? Looks like I was spot on. Thanks for bringing this back up. :thumbsup:

You make mental errors being a first year starter. I don't know how much of it was learning the playbook. Some of it probably was. Someone of it was probably nerves. I'm pretty sure you don't magically learn the playbook between weeks 3 and 4.

theplatypus
11-16-2011, 03:14 PM
Better luck? Looks like I was spot on. Thanks for bringing this back up. :thumbsup:

You make mental errors being a first year starter. I don't know how much of it was learning the playbook. Some of it probably was. Someone of it was probably nerves. I'm pretty sure you don't magically learn the playbook between weeks 3 and 4.

At least you're consistent in your fantasies. Someone earlier accused you of being like Thumper , but you aren't that good. Thumper never really said anything, he would give just enough to get reaction out of people and then proclaim he never said blah blah blah.He was still a troll, but a talented troll. You on the other hand, just spew bs continuously. If nothing else it gives you something too strive for.

Sixburgher
11-16-2011, 03:23 PM
At least you're consistent in your fantasies. Someone earlier accused you of being like Thumper , but you aren't that good. Thumper never really said anything, he would give just enough to get reaction out of people and then proclaim he never said blah blah blah.He was still a troll, but a talented troll. You on the other hand, just spew bs continuously. If nothing else it gives you something too strive for.

I just want to know when we're getting Thad Gibson back.

theplatypus
11-16-2011, 03:28 PM
I just want to know when we're getting Thad Gibson back.

HAHA

DanRooney
11-16-2011, 03:56 PM
I never said Thaddeus Gibson was the next Lawrence Taylor. Only that he would be a nice guy to have. I personally liked him more than Worilds coming out of the draft.

DanRooney
11-16-2011, 03:57 PM

What BS have I spewed? Really I'd like to see.

And fantasies? Brown is starting at #2. Man up and say you were wrong. Quit being a a coward.

theplatypus
11-16-2011, 04:51 PM
What BS have I spewed? Really I'd like to see.

And fantasies? Brown is starting at #2. Man up and say you were wrong. Quit being a a coward.

Somehow you think I was wrong despite clearly and repeatedly stating that Brown wouldn't supplant a starter until he knows the playbook, hot reads, and does all the little things necessary.Don't forget it was just a few short weeks ago where Brown was calling for a fair catch inside the 5 yard line. Yet one more example of the little things that NFL STARTERS don't do.
You really should stick to your Nancy Grace site, it suits you. Also, you might want to go and check because when I'm wrong I publicly make an apology. You on the other hand deflect, back peddle, and outright lie.

Buddha Bus
11-16-2011, 04:59 PM
Somehow you think I was wrong despite clearly and repeatedly stating that Brown wouldn't supplant a starter until he knows the playbook, hot reads, and does all the little things necessary.Don't forget it was just a few short weeks ago where Brown was calling for a fair catch inside the 5 yard line. Yet one more example of the little things that NFL STARTERS don't do.
You really should stick to your Nancy Grace, it suits you. Also, you might want to go and check because when I'm wrong I publicly make an apology. You on the other hand deflect, back peddle, and outright lie.

http://blippitt.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/funny-reading-its-fundamental-poster.jpg

DanRooney
11-16-2011, 05:09 PM
You really should stick to your Nancy Grace site, it suits you. Also, you might want to go and check because when I'm wrong I publicly make an apology. You on the other hand deflect, back peddle, and outright lie.

Why are you arguing with me in the first place then? Bottom line: Brown is a better option than Ward at this point. Argument is done. I don't know what you're trying to prove. I was clearly right and you're trying to find some flaw in logic because you want to go on a bandwagon of the 3 stooges who were clearly not smart enough to figure this out.

I haven't backpeddled once. You just said a few posts ago at least I was "consistent" with my arguments.

Now who is lying? Or flip flopping? :tt:

I don't watch Nancy Grace. You must be in love with the ugly ***** though because you keep bringing up her trash.

tony hipchest
11-16-2011, 05:34 PM
.... you want to go on a bandwagon of the 3 stooges who were clearly not smart enough to figure this out.

werent you just whining (yet again) about being personally attacked and abused? IRONY.

its quite entertaining reading an entire thread of danrooney getting cybersmacked around, back and forth like pong.

thad gibson sacking groceries < jason worilds sacking qb's in the nfl.

internet messageboard blowhard's talent analysis and roster opinions < professionals who have made it their career.

theplatypus
11-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Why are you arguing with me in the first place then? Bottom line: Brown is a better option than Ward at this point. Argument is done. I don't know what you're trying to prove. I was clearly right and you're trying to find some flaw in logic because you want to go on a bandwagon of the 3 stooges who were clearly not smart enough to figure this out.

Try to keep up, we went over this yesterday. Remember the bug and the cat?

Holy cow! I never made any comment about Ward being better than Brown. Here it is once again, BROWN WOULDN"T SUPPLANT WARD UNTIL HE KNOWS THE PLAYBOOK ETC...
Do you get it finally?

I haven't backpeddled once. You just said a few posts ago at least I was "consistent" with my arguments.

Now who is lying? Or flip flopping? :tt:

I don't watch Nancy Grace. You must be in love with the ugly ***** though because you keep bringing up her trash.

Hello? Is there anyone in there? I NEVER CLAIMED YOU WATCHED NANCY GRACE. Follow along closely, I know this might be confusing for you. Your little "most awesome writer" pals use the same sensationalist bs as Nancy Grace. Nowhere does that imply that you watch Nancy Grace it simply acknowledges that it is a style that you're capable of comprehending. It doesn't matter that it's all smoke and mirrors, it's just flashy and grabs your attention. If it makes it any easier for you just exchange Glenn Beck for Nancy Grace. They're essentially the same, one just has the twig and berries. If exchanging GB for NG confuses you further try this. You could think of it as a fishing lure and a fish. Your "most awesome writers" are the shiny fishing lure and you're the little fishy mistaking a shiny piece of metal for food. Got it?

Buddha Bus
11-16-2011, 05:45 PM
Hello? Is there anyone in there? I NEVER CLAIMED YOU WATCHED NANCY GRACE. Follow along closely, I know this might be confusing for you. Your little "most awesome writer" pals use the same sensationalist bs as Nancy Grace. Nowhere does that imply that you watch Nancy Grace it simply acknowledges that it is a style that you're capable of comprehending. It doesn't matter that it's all smoke and mirrors, it's just flashy and grabs your attention. If it makes it any easier for you just exchange Glenn Beck for Nancy Grace. They're essentially the same, one just has the twig and berries. If exchanging GB for NG confuses you further try this. You could think of it as a fishing lure and a fish. Your "most awesome writers" are the shiny fishing lure and you're the little fishy mistaking a shiny piece of metal for food. Got it?

Ouch. http://r28.imgfast.net/users/2815/14/51/45/smiles/1683801514.gif

tony hipchest
11-16-2011, 06:03 PM
Bottom line: Brown is a better option than Ward at this point. Argument is done.

:shout:- ATTENTION CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!!!

of course brown has been a better option than a concussed hines ward, and ward with a twisted ankle. didnt notice any bounties placed on brown though.

of course brown is a better option than sanders when he is attending his mothers funeral and having his knee scoped.

of course brown was a better option than jerhico crotchsniffer who couldnt sniff the field due to a hammy.

of course brown was a better option than randle el who he supplanted last season for the #4 wr spot.

of course he was a better option than limas sweed, who he sent packing.

stating as much as an original idea or opinion is pathetic. those who know a little something more than you (actually a great deal), knew brown would have to climb the ladder, and EARN his stripes. nothing would just be handed to him because of raw talent and potential. (something worilds could do but your boy thad couldnt).

this is too complex of a subject for those with cement filled skulls to understand.

DanRooney
11-16-2011, 06:14 PM

Umadbro? :toofunny:

DanRooney
11-16-2011, 06:16 PM
:shout:- ATTENTION CAPTAIN OBVIOUS!!!

But Ward is the best run blocker in the NFL. No way we can bench him! Brown is too dumb and can't do anything without his leadership either! :sofunny:

steelfury02
11-16-2011, 08:12 PM
Why is Aaron Smith not playing? Why is Hood getting more playing time? Why would the Steelers treat a vet this way? :couch:

steelfury02
11-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Seriously though - I stopped doing post gazette plus - did anyone read the article from Bouchette stating that Ward deserved better (and I think it might have particularly been in regards to the way the coaches have treated him?) Just saw the headline then realized my membership was up when I clicked it.

EDIT: I gave in an resubscribed - it basically made the comparisons of Hines Ward's situation and Bettis's situation when they installed the Tommy Gun offense - adding Riemersma and benching Bettis in favor of Amos the Restauranter. Then they did it again to Bettis when Staley came in. I think basically Bouchette was saying that Ward took the high road much like Bettis did when the reporters blindsided him with the questions in regards to basically being benched. If that conversation never happened, that is a bad move by the coaches but who the heck knows. It is a little sad, irregardless of his production or current capabilities

finesward
11-16-2011, 10:57 PM
The way I see it all Dan did was state the obvious... he probably said the same thing the year before about how wallace should be the #1 over hines. No shit, but it didn't happen right away, he had to put in the time, work, learn the routes and polish his game before he could be considered the #1.

To be a starter you either A.) Play for a team with NO talent at WR (look at bengals and a.j green) OR you have to earn it through hard work, film study, and perform when given the opportunity on a team such as our beloved steelers. Obviously last year Brown showed could perform when given a few snaps a game, but he only had to learn a few routes. Stepping into the #2 couldn't just happen magically during the offseason.

I think the majority of people on here stuck with hines starting the season ahead of him due to that lack of work over the offseason but noted they'd be surprised if he wasn't ahead of him by the end of the season. Those people were the ones who have actual football IQ. Not someone who makes a sensationalist claim and then beat the drum later when the inevitable happens. That's like me saying when we drafted ziggy that he should be starting over aaron smith, and then when he ends up starting saying AHA! see I told you he should of been the starter! It's amusing to watch you try and pat yourself on the back so hard in every thread, either with a childish quip or a "I said in preseason..." :blah: I'm sure your shoulder must be killing you trying to reach back there so much

DanRooney
11-16-2011, 11:06 PM
The way I see it all Dan did was state the obvious... he probably said the same thing the year before about how wallace should be the #1 over hines. No shit, but it didn't happen right away, he had to put in the time, work, learn the routes and polish his game before he could be considered the #1.

To be a starter you either A.) Play for a team with NO talent at WR (look at bengals and a.j green) OR you have to earn it through hard work, film study, and perform when given the opportunity on a team such as our beloved steelers. Obviously last year Brown showed could perform when given a few snaps a game, but he only had to learn a few routes. Stepping into the #2 couldn't just happen magically during the offseason.

I think the majority of people on here stuck with hines starting the season ahead of him due to that lack of work over the offseason but noted they'd be surprised if he wasn't ahead of him by the end of the season. Those people were the ones who have actual football IQ. Not someone who makes a sensationalist claim and then beat the drum later when the inevitable happens. That's like me saying when we drafted ziggy that he should be starting over aaron smith, and then when he ends up starting saying AHA! see I told you he should of been the starter! It's amusing to watch you try and pat yourself on the back so hard in every thread, either with a childish quip or a "I said in preseason..." :blah: I'm sure your shoulder must be killing you trying to reach back there so much

I didn't read most of this crap. But if I stated the obvious, why were you disagreeing :applaudit:

finesward
11-16-2011, 11:09 PM
Here's a nice article I found that was posted ALLLLL the way back in March that really sums up how I feel, and how I think the team views a WR's position on the depth chart.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/03/emmanuel-sanders-ready-pass-hines-ward/

I don’t think the “depth chart” really means much to Bruce Arians and the Steelers offense when it comes to the wide receiver position. Like most teams (and I’ve argued this point in the past) they have so many different packages and formations that being the “starter” only means you get to run out of the tunnel and hear your name called before the game. There will be formations where Wallace and Sanders are the only receivers on the field. There will be formations where Sanders and Ward are the only receivers on the field. There will be formations where all of them are on the field. The more important question, for me, is how often each player will actually be targeted in the passing game.

This was projecting a healthy Sanders, but I think you can substitute any of the guys we have. Its all the team preaches every week in articles, it's the next man up, whoever is called upon. Guys like you Dan get so caught up in who is better than who and why you forget about this being a TEAM game.

finesward
11-16-2011, 11:13 PM
I didn't read most of this crap. But if I stated the obvious, why were you disagreeing :applaudit:

Disagreeing with the timing...try reading, it helps answer questions like that :hatsoff:

#1LambertFan
11-19-2011, 07:14 AM
Im a very superstitious person and I thought Brown would be AntoniNOOOO! For a few years before developing into a good receiver. We seem to have better luck drafting in rounds 3-6 than in 1 or 2. Most of our early picks are either under-performers or good but bad off the field.