PDA

View Full Version : was it just me....

MasterOfPuppets
11-13-2011, 10:04 PM
or does anyone else think troy p , should have had an EASY pic on the bengals first TD pass ?
he was in perfect position, turned and seen the ball coming... then just watch green pull it in...:noidea:
the only thing i can figure is maybe he thought clark was gonna make a play on the ball , but i'll be damned if it didn't look like all he had to do was lift his arms and the ball hits him right in the hands....:doh:

see replay here....
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011111303/2011/REG10/steelers@bengals#menu=highlights&tab=recap

SteeleReign
11-13-2011, 10:07 PM
I thought the same thing. It almost looked like he lost track of the ball in flight. Not sure. Hard to imagine Troy not taking a shot at the pick if he could have.

ricardisimo
11-13-2011, 10:13 PM
Troy's not having a great year in general. He's still moving around a lot, but it seems like a whole lot of sound and fury, signifying nothing. Balls have bounced out of his hands and off his numbers a few times already.

But you're just trying to distract us from the fact that William Gay sucks.

skinart82
11-13-2011, 10:36 PM
I thought him or Clark could have at least tried to knock it away!

OX1947
11-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Maybe with Troy "struggling", and I use that loosely, during the season, he can be 100% for once for the playoffs and then really have a post season that can be added to his hall of fame career.

madtowndrunkard
11-13-2011, 11:17 PM
I think it was pretty obvious he didn't see the ball coming.

Wallace108
11-13-2011, 11:19 PM
It reminded me of two outfielders who both expect the other to catch the ball. Neither make a play, and the ball lands in between them.

austinfrench76
11-13-2011, 11:29 PM
I've been noticing Troy missing what look to he easy plays at times this year. I mean, I'm no NFL player so its not my place to say for sure but he should have picked that ball or at least made a play on it. Hes also dropped a couple of easy picks this year. Still the best safety in the league but having an odd year.

stb_steeler
11-13-2011, 11:44 PM
or does anyone else think troy p , should have had an EASY pic on the bengals first TD pass ?
he was in perfect position, turned and seen the ball coming... then just watch green pull it in...:noidea:
the only thing i can figure is maybe he thought clark was gonna make a play on the ball , but i'll be damned if it didn't look like all he had to do was lift his arms and the ball hits him right in the hands....:doh:

see replay here....
http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2011111303/2011/REG10/steelers@bengals#menu=highlights&tab=recap

I couldnt believe that play myself, it looked as if he pulled his hands back in. Maybe he was thinkin Clark had the play.....he should of still threw his hands out.

davidtrout
11-14-2011, 12:21 AM
It looked to me like Troy didn't want to get in Clark's way and screw up an easy pick. I thought Clark just lost his balance at the last second. Whatever happened, it was just a fluke, nothing more. Green showed great poise by keeping his concentration.

ETL
11-14-2011, 12:28 AM
Remember in the Super Bowl against Arizona, when the Cardinals were driving just before half - on a short pass to Boldin, he jumped in the air and practically tackled William Gay as Boldin was 3 feet to his right.

Maybe he doesn't see thing right obviously in rare incidents

MasterOfPuppets
11-14-2011, 12:54 AM
I think it was pretty obvious he didn't see the ball coming.
i think you need to watch the replay again. both he and clark looked for the ball , unless of course they were all just cloud gazing...

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/3268/troyp.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/214/troyp.jpg/)]

http://img406.imageshack.us/img406/7876/22100570.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/406/22100570.jpg/)

steeltheone
11-14-2011, 12:58 AM
It looked to me like troy could not get in position because Ryan Clark was in the way. Ryan Clark is a real liability in coverage.

MasterOfPuppets
11-14-2011, 01:37 AM
It looked to me like troy could not get in position because Ryan Clark was in the way. Ryan Clark is a real liability in coverage.
well if you look at the above picture, i'd say a simple exstention of the arms would have put his hands in the direct path of the ball...:noidea:

i think he just stopped thinking that clark was going to make the play. he was also in great position ( to at very least ,knock the ball down ) until he somehow managed to trip over himself.

ricardisimo
11-14-2011, 04:31 AM
"I wasn't aggressive against the ball," Polamalu said. "I saw the ball most of the way, then I lost it."
Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11318/1189790-66-0.stm#ixzz1dfdV2tQW

sharkweek
11-14-2011, 06:19 AM
no, not just you, Troy had his head turned in the direction of the ball and was right there, so yeah, I was also very surprised that it looked like he didn't even try when he at least could have gotten his hands up to try to at least disrupt the pass in some way. My first reaction was that I thought maybe he thought that Clark had better position and thus didn't want to interfere with him and his ability to make a pick so as to not do what the Bengals did when they took away an INT they should have had on Ben by having two players fight over the INT.

but apparently he just lost the ball in the air somewhere, but even then its too bad he didn't play off of Clark and at least get his hands up when Clark made a move, but either way its easy to say that with 20-20. Any way you look at, it the Bengals and Dalton in particularly took a huge risk throwing into good double coverage like that. Was a desperation pass that was a huge gamble and it paid off. Happens some times.

queeg
11-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Troy's not having a great year in general. He's still moving around a lot, but it seems like a whole lot of sound and fury, signifying nothing. Balls have bounced out of his hands and off his numbers a few times already.

But you're just trying to distract us from the fact that William Gay sucks.

Support Steelers....

Drizztbob
11-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Someone should have screamed "GOT IT!"

StainlessStill
11-14-2011, 11:47 AM
I was irate about that play ALL GAME LONG. I'm actually still entirely pissed off about it when I watch the replays. Ike did his job PERFECTLY. That's exactly the way our defense was called. Ike took an outside approach and sucked Green in the middle of the field, right to our two safety's to make the play.

Clark severely mis-timed the ball but I have NO idea why Troy didn't go for the ball there. At worst, the ball should of knocked down and in most cases, INTERCEPTED. It still baffles me on how Troy didn't leap off the ground at any point to make a play on the ball, especially in how #43 plays.

Curtain_of_Steel
11-14-2011, 12:18 PM
It was impossible for Troy to catch that ball. Due to the fact he was watching it go right into Greens hands.
Doing 2 things at once isn't Troys specialty this year.

Troy is having troubles focusing since he signed his big contract. Can't catch, cant think, and is typically causing more problems than good at this point.
Perhaps when he doesn't get voted into the probowl he may reflect on having a subpar season.

Sure he mad some behind the line tackles against th ebengals, but those runs were also running right into our line and Harrisons side. They didnt appeared to be anything great great other than good penetration. However on multilple occassions he decided to come in and Dalton passed right into his area.

FanSince72
11-14-2011, 12:35 PM
First of all, I want to say that I love having Troy on this team and that I think he's a great football player.

BUT...

I've always believed that he's often too quick or too agile for his own good.

Many times I'll see a play where he comes streaking across the field towards a receiver or a ball-carrier but he comes into the play so quickly that he either overruns it or is unable to apply a tackle because he's moving so fast.
I love when he leapfrogs a lineman to get into the backfield and he often blows up plays that way. But he often OVER leaps or OVER extends to the point where he runs behind the play and has no effect at all.

He's a bit of an unguided missile.

I often think that if he'd just slow down a bit and think more than he reacts, his highlight reel appearances would decline but he'd be a lot more effective overall.
In some ways I think of him in the same way I think of some computer apps; the app is loaded with all kinds of technology but you're not really sure what to use it for.

Like I said, I'd rather have him than not have him but he's still a bit of a mystery and I sometimes wonder if he's being used as effectively as he could be.

Curtain_of_Steel
11-14-2011, 12:42 PM
No doubt he is great, or was great.

His speed in around the line, because he gets a running start, makes him look even faster as a 350 pound lineman starting on the sanp is already behind the 8ball with Troy rushing in.
Open field coverage, he couldn't chase down a 3 legged cow at this point.

When Woodley gets back, hopefully Troy stays back more and doesn't flutter around the line.

ricardisimo
11-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Support Steelers....
Ummm... what the hell?

realdeal
11-16-2011, 10:33 PM
Another Troy TD allowed. Sure he's made great plays against the run this year, but he's leaving picks on the field and giving up TD's.

His coverage has been awful going back to last years playoffs! Maybe he's lost a step?

tony hipchest
11-17-2011, 12:31 AM
Another Troy TD allowed. Sure he's made great plays against the run this year, but he's leaving picks on the field and giving up TD's.

His coverage has been awful going back to last years playoffs! Maybe he's lost a step?i might buy into this season long " theory" if he werent faster than 8 out of 10 players on the field at any given time.:noidea:

troys forte as a STRONG safety have never been his coverage skills on blazing, megatron like, wide receivers, however he typically excels at whatever his coaches allow him to do.

rare is the player whose coaches defer to him.

IMO the reason troy didnt make an INT on the aj green td , was he seemed certain that clark had it, and he wasnt willing to blast and injure his own teammate and buddy, to take it away.

for that, troy was at fault.

steelers won. :tt02: (i understand that steelerfans will be upset with any point scored, because it is usually the fault of a defender.)

StainlessStill
11-17-2011, 01:09 AM
A part of me thinks the reason Troy didn't go for the ball was because maybe he didn't want to collide with Clark, who he thought would make the play or possibly a pick and he didn't want to jar it loose from Clark than anything. Troy isn't making the plays we're so use to see him making and the fanbase is just proving how spoiled we really are. On the outlook of things, it doesn't look like he's doing a whole lot but with him running backs down on the backside, that eliminates cut-back lanes, something Ray Rice and Arian Foster DESTROYED us on. I think we are more worried about those cutback lanes than anything else. We're seeing more and more of Troy in full sprint on backside. I think he's solid. Seems like he's tackling better. That play where he helicoptered a Bungles player was so Troy. The dude's an animal regardless if his production (preferably turnovers) is lacking. IMHO, it's coming.

EDIT: Beat me to it hipchest, haha. I thought the same thing as to why Troy didn't leap for it. He sure seemed worried to collide with Clark who had coverage before he lost total balance in his body.