PDA

View Full Version : Heyward

tburhans
11-14-2011, 10:14 PM
Will we get any significant plays from him this year? I know he is a rookie and plays sparingly but will he make an impact play this year? I have seen little to nothing out of him the times he has been in. im not saying hes a bust just wondering what everybodys thoughts were on him

DanRooney
11-14-2011, 10:15 PM
I really don't know what you expect from him being a 3-4 end and him not being able to get significant playing time.

ggoldman
11-14-2011, 10:17 PM
Hes been good in his limited action

tburhans
11-14-2011, 10:22 PM
I guess I expect him to get more penetration and drive guys into the backfield. Seems like he just gets stood up. I know hes not going to get stats being a 3-4 end I just expect him not to be stood up. Im sure the future is bright for this kid. Im just waiting for him to make a splash play

DanRooney
11-14-2011, 10:44 PM
Sometimes occupying your blockers is enough. He's made a few impressive tackles so far. I know Aaron Smith had amazing games with statlines like 1 tackle 2 assists.

SunshineMan21
11-14-2011, 11:02 PM
He had a strip sack earlier in the season.

ricardisimo
11-15-2011, 02:32 AM
Yeah, and he's generally been good when he comes in, no drop-off. His most important contribution might just be keeping the starters fresh all season.

Fire Arians
11-15-2011, 02:55 AM

yep, forced an intentional grounding in that same game too, which although it doesnt make the stat line, is just as good as a sack

Rick5895
11-15-2011, 06:17 AM
Will we get any significant plays from him this year? I know he is a rookie and plays sparingly but will he make an impact play this year? I have seen little to nothing out of him the times he has been in. im not saying hes a bust just wondering what everybodys thoughts were on him

He's a 3-4 end, which means he plays on the OT and is expected to control 2 gaps, and occupy blockers. Heyward has done a very good job this season doing the job that is asked of him. There has been no drop off play from the DE spot when he's in there. He may not make many tackles and his stat line won't be great, but D Linemen in this system rarely have a great stat line.
I guess people aren't happy with players unless they have big stats, and therefore start thinking of these players as busts without really watching the game.

steelfury02
11-15-2011, 09:59 AM
We've had a chance to compete for the Lombardi from the day Cowher took the job, to the transition into the Tomlin era - 20 years of having Lombardi hopes sure beats being a fan of basically every team out there who would just like to sniff a playoff berth once every 5 seasons or so I think Steelers FO has done a fairly nice job infusing this team with the right personnel at the appropriate times and knowing when to say goodbye to well-respected vets

tburhans
11-15-2011, 01:04 PM
I'm hoping we invest some more picks to the o and d line. We need a replacement for hampton in the near future. I think he's got one more good year left in thd tank. I have faith in the fo they haven't let us down yet

Fire Arians
11-15-2011, 01:05 PM
I'm hoping we invest some more picks to the o and d line. We need a replacement for hampton in the near future. I think he's got one more good year left in thd tank. I have faith in the fo they haven't let us down yet

o-line and MLB are biggest needs right now imo. foote gives us insurance for next year, but im not sure how much longer farrior can play at a high level

good 3-4 NT's usually don't go early, we could get a hampton replacement in rd 3-4

DanRooney
11-15-2011, 01:35 PM
o-line and MLB are biggest needs right now imo. foote gives us insurance for next year, but im not sure how much longer farrior can play at a high level

good 3-4 NT's usually don't go early, we could get a hampton replacement in rd 3-4

He's not playing at a high level now. It's actually pretty mediocre. That's why Foote is seeing so many snaps. His benching had nothing to do with Farrior's phantom injury.

Fire Arians
11-15-2011, 01:54 PM
He's not playing at a high level now. It's actually pretty mediocre. That's why Foote is seeing so many snaps. His benching had nothing to do with Farrior's phantom injury.

he's been solid against the run like usual, but against the pass has been a liability. in today's pass happy league, pure run stuffing MLB's are obsolete if there's no coverage ability to go with it

i'm guessing he'll be cut next year for salary cap reasons. agree foote has been outplaying him, injury or not

Goldsteel86
11-15-2011, 07:05 PM

Ohhh No, No, No, his progression is slow, even Tomlin has said he hasn't adapted well to the NFL, he is not even close to ready for game speed!!!!!! Go to the Tennessee game highlights, Cam showed signs of what is to come!!!!!

ricardisimo
11-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Ohhh No, No, No, his progression is slow, even Tomlin has said he hasn't adapted well to the NFL, he is not even close to ready for game speed!!!!!! Go to the Tennessee game highlights, Cam showed signs of what is to come!!!!!
Tomlin said that? Can you give a citation?

tony hipchest
11-16-2011, 09:30 PM
sunday was the first game all season cam played ZERO defensive snaps.

#BEAST!

as the games become more important and we get closer to crunch time, i expect the "on the job" training to dwindle, unless the games are out of hand or theres an injury.

like many others, he will have to bide his time and climb the ladder. pouncey was the anomaly, practically proving he was a pro-bowler in the making in his 1st camp. when healthy our RDE and LDE typically play every defensive snap, just like ike, ROLB , LOLB, SS and FS.

finesward
11-16-2011, 11:21 PM
I think the bengals showed a trend that will and in a way has developed in the NFL to combat the passing attack, and that's have a solid 6-7 man rotation up front. The giants have been doing it for a couple years now but I notice other teams utilizing it as well. Not sure if we are quite there yet but we definitely are on the right track stockpiling talent with ziggy and cam.

Goldsteel86
11-17-2011, 09:44 PM
Tomlin said that? Can you give a citation?

No have no quote just sarcasm on my behalf, once again trying to figure out the logic behind the post!!!!!

Fire Arians
11-17-2011, 10:22 PM
hey we should try putting cam heyward at fullback :thumbsup:

ricardisimo
11-17-2011, 11:17 PM
No have no quote just sarcasm on my behalf, once again trying to figure out the logic behind the post!!!!!
Ah! I didn't turn on my sarcasm detector that day.