PDA

View Full Version : Things to note @ Mid Season bye-week

tony hipchest
11-15-2011, 11:12 PM
steelers are last in the league with a -10 TO margin (tied with the suck for luck colts).

arians is somewhat living up to the teams talents. steelers are finally ranked 10th in offensive yards/game.

steelers are ranked below than average in points per game- 18th.

steelers are 3rd in the league in time of possession with 32:43 min/game, sandwiched between the chargers and eagles (2 teams many thought were the most talented SB favorites, but are likely to miss the playoffs).

steelers are 7th in passing yards per game.

steelers qb's (big ben) have been sacked 31 times. AZ qb's have been sacked 31 times. STL leads the league in sacks allowed.

the sacks are slightly inflating what looks to be great TOP stats. below average points scored suggest as much.

it looks pretty simple going forward. create turnovers, and eliminate sacks and we are right wehre we were last year. a top team in the league matched up with green bay in the superbowl.

zsheik22
11-15-2011, 11:37 PM
steelers are last in the league with a -10 TO margin (tied with the suck for luck colts).

arians is somewhat living up to the teams talents. steelers are finally ranked 10th in offensive yards/game.

steelers are ranked below than average in points per game- 18th.

steelers are 3rd in the league in time of possession with 32:43 min/game, sandwiched between the chargers and eagles (2 teams many thought were the most talented SB favorites, but are likely to miss the playoffs).

steelers are 7th in passing yards per game.

steelers qb's (big ben) have been sacked 31 times. AZ qb's have been sacked 31 times. STL leads the league in sacks allowed.

the sacks are slightly inflating what looks to be great TOP stats. below average points scored suggest as much.

it looks pretty simple going forward. create turnovers, and eliminate sacks and we are right wehre we were last year. a top team in the league matched up with green bay in the superbowl.

....or if you're not getting turnovers, dont commit em!

:tt03:

Fire Arians
11-16-2011, 01:23 AM
TOP = big ben takes 20 seconds to throw the ball on every play, that chews clock ;)

Bayz101
11-16-2011, 02:38 AM
TOP = big ben takes 20 minutes to throw the ball on every play, that chews clock ;)

Corrected.

Steelerfreak58
11-16-2011, 09:41 AM
Settling for 3 after long drives isn't going to win Playoff games or a SB.

StainlessStill
11-16-2011, 09:45 AM
TOP = big ben takes 20 seconds to throw the ball on every play, that chews clock ;)

In my eyes, I'm constantly going to bat for Roethlisberger against haters. Ben may be one of my favorite Steelers of ALL-TIME and that's a damn long list. That said, this past week in Cincinnati, he certainly held the ball WAY TOO long that resulted in sacks when he needed to just unleash the ball out of the endzone/out of bounds. I even defend Ben when he extends and takes the sack when he holds onto it for too long but last week it was obvious he held on and most of it was his fault for doing so.

On another note, it's incredible we're rated as high as we are on defense and sitting 7-3 with the lack of turnovers from this squad. When they start to come (hopefully) we may ride it the whole way to the Super Bowl!

UF-Steeler
11-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Another important thing to note is that DanRooney was correct about Antonio Brown being better than Ward.

I'm just excited to see Woodley and Harrison together. I hope his hamstring injury is nothing like Johnson's.

Fire Arians
11-16-2011, 10:41 AM
In my eyes, I'm constantly going to bat for Roethlisberger against haters. Ben may be one of my favorite Steelers of ALL-TIME and that's a damn long list. That said, this past week in Cincinnati, he certainly held the ball WAY TOO long that resulted in sacks when he needed to just unleash the ball out of the endzone/out of bounds. I even defend Ben when he extends and takes the sack when he holds onto it for too long but last week it was obvious he held on and most of it was his fault for doing so.

On another note, it's incredible we're rated as high as we are on defense and sitting 7-3 with the lack of turnovers from this squad. When they start to come (hopefully) we may ride it the whole way to the Super Bowl!

I'm not hating on ben, i was just joking around. he does hold that ball a little too long sometimes, but i'm willing to take the bad with the good. it won us 2 super bowls so far :thumbsup:

steelfury02
11-16-2011, 11:39 AM
Re @ Scoring 3s instead of TDs - agree, red zone efficiency must increase for us to make a deep run

Re @ Green Bay's play - agree, not good - intimidatingly great. The scary thing was that they beat us in the SB while JUST hitting their stride. Now they have it finely tuned. Anyone can be beat (See SB 42) on any given day. If we meet them again in SB XLVI we have to be able to carry out a similar plan like we did against Brady. Keep Rodgers on the sideline and get 7s. Only way it is going to work IMHO.

LVSteelersfan
11-16-2011, 11:42 AM
The O-line gives Ben plenty of time on most plays. But when he holds it too long there is no way they can hold them out forever. If Ben ever learns that it is better to get outside the tackles and throw the ball away, this team would be unstoppable. But Ben is Ben and I don't expect him to change. The only other problem I have with Ben is when he misses wide open receivers that have beat their man soundly. He missed Wallace and Cotchery both in the Bungles game. For some reason he waits to long to throw the ball to them even when he has no pressure on him. He either underthows it or is way over their head. I wish he had better touch on the ball but he is what he is. I love his game when he is hitting his receivers on crossing patterns. The receivers we have are great at getting extra yards on those routes. Cotchery being healthy is going to make this receiving team impossible to stay with. (I am watching the replay on NFL network and just saw him miss Cotchery on that easy pass -- AARRGGHH)

LVSteelersfan
11-16-2011, 11:46 AM
As far as Green Bay goes, I predict someone like the Giants is going to run the ball down their throat, keep Rodgers off the field all day and knock them out in their first game of the playoffs. It happens so often that the favorite plays down to their opponent and they get knocked out early. Especially if they rest their starters the last few weeks after they clinch their division. They may be in stride now but they may have peaked too early. The fame and fortune may go to their heads and that can be dangerous.

steve314
11-16-2011, 02:51 PM

If it's the second half, with the Steelers in the lead, and the play ends in a short (2 or 3 yard) sack rather than a throwaway, this does take some time off the clock before the next play, without much difference in field position. That's a small advantage, but probably not worth it for the wear and tear on Ben!

steelfury02
11-16-2011, 07:04 PM
always start getting excited in November because things start taking shape. Re @ GB in 1st playoff game - I wouldn't be shocked either. Someone in NFC is going to make it to the conference championship that no one saw coming.