PDA

View Full Version : Did we screw up cutting Urbik?

ricardisimo
11-17-2011, 04:13 AM
It might still be too early to say, and there's no judging these things with any certainty ever, but...

Buffalo is 6th in the league in rushing, and they have allowed the fewest sacks in the entire league as of this week, heading into their week 11 game at Miami. I would have to assume that Urbik is a significant part of that, having started all seven games he's played in (not sure what happened to the other two games).

Has anyone here been watching Buffalo games? Is he playing well? Also, does anyone remember who we kept instead of him? From what I can tell, keeping Jonathan Scott and Dorian Brooks seems to be the worst of it. Just wondering.

theplatypus
11-17-2011, 06:10 AM
If I remember correctly we gambled and lost with him by trying to get him on the practice squad. It looks like he missed a couple games with a sprained MCL,

Here's a link to someone's analysis of his play from a preseason game.
http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?t=361977

steelfury02
11-17-2011, 09:00 AM
I haven't been watching Buffalo or their O-line - I always thought he had solid starter capabilities

I think with the talent we have on offense, I'd probably try and pick up a solid O-linemen by the 2nd rd. What position do you think we should go after in the 1st rd?

theplatypus
11-17-2011, 09:15 AM
I haven't been watching Buffalo or their O-line - I always thought he had solid starter capabilities

I think with the talent we have on offense, I'd probably try and pick up a solid O-linemen by the 2nd rd. What position do you think we should go after in the 1st rd?

It's too early to tell. They need to figure out Colon's long term health status and Gilbert's ceiling. IF Gilbert turns out to be a long term solution at RT and Colon is physically able and willing to move to Guard our line should be solid. WHich would let us focus on other areas such as NT and LB. With that being said I would like to see them continue with the tried and true formula of the best player available that fits our scheme. A few of our resident "draft gurus" love to bash the front office for not taking player ___, but they fail too realize or acknowledge that a player needs the skill set to fit our system. If that confuses the usual suspects then here's a simplified version. A great cover corner that's mediocre against the run isn't worth a hill of beans to a team that runs a 3-4 defense.

MDSteel15
11-17-2011, 09:32 AM
YES :hatsoff:

Rick5895
11-17-2011, 11:01 AM
I would say NO!!, We cut Urbik, this could turn into one of the "we should have kept Gibson" rants. He is gone! Shoulda, woulda, coulda is a waste of time.

Vincent
11-17-2011, 12:33 PM
We shoulda kept Noll.

theplatypus
11-17-2011, 12:36 PM
I would say NO!!, We cut Urbik, this could turn into one of the "we should have kept Gibson" rants. He is gone! Shoulda, woulda, coulda is a waste of time.

Not really. One of them is an NFL starter and the other is either unemployed or a practice squad member for the 4th or 5th different team in a year. :wink02:

ricardisimo
11-17-2011, 02:21 PM
Not really. One of them is an NFL starter and the other is either unemployed or a practice squad member for the 4th or 5th different team in a year. :wink02:
Exactly, and evidently a solid starter, based purely on the stats I cited. Furthermore, we kept Dorrian Brooks and Jonathan Scott. One of them is a coach's pet for some bizarre reason, the other...? :noidea: Cut. Is he even in football this year?

Can someone point me to a decent O-line stat tracking site, for just this sort of question?

truesteelerfan
11-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Yes I think it was a mistake to cut him- He has to be better than our rotating door at RG doesn't he? Just like we cut Starks for Scott...maybe because of his draft status, we were paying Urbik more than we are a FA like Foster and save the $10K?

theplatypus
11-17-2011, 03:11 PM
Yes I think it was a mistake to cut him- He has to be better than our rotating door at RG doesn't he? Just like we cut Starks for Scott...maybe because of his draft status, we were paying Urbik more than we are a FA like Foster and save the $10K?

We cut Starks because he showed up to camp something like 65lbs overweight. Urbik just needed too much work to warrant a roster spot at the time so we tried to get him to the practice squad. By work I mean build up strength, learn to read defenses, blocking assignments etc. That doesn't mean he sucks, it simply means that not all draft picks are ready to suit up from the start. On a rebuilding team you can hold on to those players, teams taht are perennially in the hunt for the playoffs don't have that luxury.

StainlessStill
11-17-2011, 03:21 PM
I didn't know Urbik played on all 5 positions on Buffalo's offensive line. Seriously, we let him go, just like we did the others and I'm actually happy the way our O-LINE has played this season. Starks's addition and what he has meant to this team TRUMPS anything Urbik could of ever done.

theplatypus
11-17-2011, 03:28 PM
I didn't know Urbik played on all 5 positions on Buffalo's offensive line. Seriously, we let him go, just like we did the others and I'm actually happy the way our O-LINE has played this season. Starks's addition and what he has meant to this team TRUMPS anything Urbik could of ever done.

HUH?

Urbik plays guard/center and was cut in 2010, Starks plays LT and was cut/resigned in 2011

BengalDestroyer
11-17-2011, 03:43 PM
YES, we screwed up. John Scott is a bum...

StainlessStill
11-17-2011, 03:43 PM
HUH?

Urbik plays guard/center and was cut in 2010, Starks plays LT and was cut/resigned in 2011

Sarcasm first of all and what I meant in a nutshell is that no matter what position they play, it all ended up working out for us regardless if we made the wrong decision or not with Urbik. Turns out, all we needed was veteran leadership and for Starks to not only get healthy, but get back in shape for this years purpose's. Our o-line has responded well, guards/tackles/centers included. I don't think Urbik would of made much of a difference with this group considering the non-stop musical chairs and communication issues with different lineups weekly anyhow. He was just an odd man out in a long list of depth decisions. Good for him he ended up working well in Buffalo, doesn't mean he would of caught on with us if givin the opportunity.

pete74
11-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Urbik has been playing very well. he was hurt and missed a few games but looks really good. i would take him over either of our starting guards

pete74
11-17-2011, 06:31 PM
We cut Starks because he showed up to camp something like 65lbs overweight. Urbik just needed too much work to warrant a roster spot at the time so we tried to get him to the practice squad. By work I mean build up strength, learn to read defenses, blocking assignments etc. That doesn't mean he sucks, it simply means that not all draft picks are ready to suit up from the start. On a rebuilding team you can hold on to those players, teams taht are perennially in the hunt for the playoffs don't have that luxury.

if he needed so much work then why did Bills start him right away and he played fairly well from the get go

MasterOfPuppets
11-17-2011, 06:32 PM
put this guy on your wish list for next draft....

David DeCastro*, G, Stanford
Height: 6-5. Weight: 312.
Projected 40 Time: 5.14.
Projected Round (2012): 1.
10/29/11: DeCastro has been a dominant force this season. A fabulous run blocker, he shoves defensive linemen around at the line of scrimmage and gets to the second level of the defense to hit blocks on linebackers. DeCastro pulls extremely well and hits linebackers on the run. He also is an excellent pass blocker. In limited plays against standout Washington defensive tackle Alameda Ta'amu, DeCastro beat the big defensive tackle and opened up holes for his running backs. He also stonewalled a Ta'amu bull rush. DeCastro is an elite guard with big potential for the next level.

theplatypus
11-17-2011, 06:52 PM
if he needed so much work then why did Bills start him right away and he played fairly well from the get go

His first start wasn't until 11/28/2010 against the Steelers. Maybe all it took was 3 more months of practice or maybe their system suits him better. Another possibility is that even as a player that needed work he was better than their other options.

2010:

Made his first NFL start at right guard against Pittsburgh in Week 12... played in 10 games this season on the offensive line before being placed on injured reserve on December 7th
• At CIN (11/21): Played in 8th straight game...saw most significant action of the season, replacing an injured Eric Wood at RG
• Vs. PIT (11/28): Made his first career NFL start at right guard for an injured Eric Wood...helped pave the way for RB Fred Jackson to tally his third straight with at least 100 yards from scrimmage

http://www.nfl.com/player/kraigurbik/71495/gamelogs?season=2010

BKAnthem
11-17-2011, 08:22 PM
It's too early to tell. They need to figure out Colon's long term health status and Gilbert's ceiling. IF Gilbert turns out to be a long term solution at RT and Colon is physically able and willing to move to Guard our line should be solid. WHich would let us focus on other areas such as NT and LB. With that being said I would like to see them continue with the tried and true formula of the best player available that fits our scheme. A few of our resident "draft gurus" love to bash the front office for not taking player ___, but they fail too realize or acknowledge that a player needs the skill set to fit our system. If that confuses the usual suspects then here's a simplified version. A great cover corner that's mediocre against the run isn't worth a hill of beans to a team that runs a 3-4 defense.

So we should take a Wr or QB if he's BPA over a NT with upside but needs a year or to of grooming? Or an OL ?

theplatypus
11-17-2011, 08:44 PM
So we should take a Wr or QB if he's BPA over a NT with upside but needs a year or to of grooming? Or an OL ?

sure pal

ricardisimo
12-10-2011, 07:36 AM
Turns out he's position-flexible (http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/12/09/urbiks-move-to-center-helps-shore-up-bills-o-line) as well. Damn.

queeg
12-10-2011, 01:20 PM
YES, we screwed up. John Scott is a bum...

Some would bash Mother Theresa in this forum..

DanRooney
12-10-2011, 01:45 PM
Absolutely not. Urbik couldn't beat out UDFA Ramon Foster. That whole draft was garbage minus Wallace (yeah I guess Hood too, but I'll admit I wanted Rey Maualuga). They screwed up signing Kemoeatu to that big deal though.

ricardisimo
12-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Some would bash Mother Theresa in this forum..
I certainly would, but not in this thread. Do you ever actually contribute to the conversations you post in?
Absolutely not. Urbik couldn't beat out UDFA Ramon Foster. That whole draft was garbage minus Wallace (yeah I guess Hood too, but I'll admit I wanted Rey Maualuga). They screwed up signing Kemoeatu to that big deal though.
Really? That's the draft you're going to trash? Two starters (three if you count Urbik, and you should) and a backup/possible future starter in Lewis. Now, the Mendenhall draft, that's another story. And I like Rashard, but still...

MasterOfPuppets
12-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Turns out he's position-flexible (http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/12/09/urbiks-move-to-center-helps-shore-up-bills-o-line) as well. Damn.
i seen him making his first start at center a few weeks ago. i think it was against the jets.

DanRooney
12-10-2011, 03:14 PM
I certainly would, but not in this thread. Do you ever actually contribute to the conversations you post in?

Really? That's the draft you're going to trash? Two starters (three if you count Urbik, and you should) and a backup/possible future starter in Lewis. Now, the Mendenhall draft, that's another story. And I like Rashard, but still...

I'm a big draft guy so I was basing it off how they were as prospects. Say what you want about Sweed, but being fantastic in college made him a no-brainer pick in the 2nd round. He was a late first round prospect at best. I can't really fault the FO for picking him. Mendenhall was considered a steal as well.

I was less than pleased with us drafting Ziggy. I thought he was a good player but I thought it was strange for us to draft a 4-3 DT for 4-3 DT size. He did struggle in '09 which didn't surprise me but they did a nice job turning him around. I never even heard of Joe Burnett and his measurables were laughable to be even a nickel corner. Drafting Frank Summers angered me to no end. I can't even express my hatred for that guy lol. Shipley was the icing on the cake. To me it seemed like they didn't know what they were doing.

Compare that to the last 2 drafts, where I was absolutely thrilled during the draft for nearly all of our picks.

But yeah, based on how they are now, 2008 was probably our worst draft.

ricardisimo
12-10-2011, 04:16 PM
i seen him making his first start at center a few weeks ago. i think it was against the jets.
Did he look alright? Doesn't matter, I guess. What's done is done, but it's interesting to know what they saw in him, and why they stopped seeing it.

SunshineMan21
12-10-2011, 04:32 PM

Wallace, Ziggy Hood, and Keenen Lewis, plus Urbick (starting for the Bills) is garbage?

You have some high standards. I would say if any of our drafts were bad, it was the Mendenhall draft. And Colbert has routinely been among the best in the biz as far as drafting goes--I'm probably going to refrain from criticizing him until he misses on at least one first round pick.

Steelersfan87
12-10-2011, 06:02 PM
I've seen 4 Bills games this year, and Urbik has looked very solid in each of those games. I'm pretty sure he would be a starting guard on the Steelers right now.

theplatypus
12-10-2011, 06:27 PM
Wallace, Ziggy Hood, and Keenen Lewis, plus Urbick (starting for the Bills) is garbage?

You have some high standards. I would say if any of our drafts were bad, it was the Mendenhall draft. And Colbert has routinely been among the best in the biz as far as drafting goes--I'm probably going to refrain from criticizing him until he misses on at least one first round pick.

More like completely unrealistic expectations

Of course since Urbik couldn't beat out Foster then he will always be a bum. There's no way a player could bulk up, learn the system, and become the player they envisioned. I swear to god he could end up in the HOF and some of these clowns would still say he sucked.

DanRooney
12-10-2011, 06:56 PM
More like completely unrealistic expectations

Of course since Urbik couldn't beat out Foster then he will always be a bum. There's no way a player could bulk up, learn the system, and become the player they envisioned. I swear to god he could end up in the HOF and some of these clowns would still say he sucked.

I don't pay attention to the Buffalo Bills so he very well might have improved but I did see him play when he was with Wisconsin. He seemed weak all around. I read at our camp he was getting pushed around by Travis Kirshke. Then when I saw him in preseason for the first time, I was horrified. I didn't like the pick at all. Especially since we traded down for him.

theplatypus
12-10-2011, 07:05 PM
oh noes the horror, a rookie getting pushed around by a veteran. That's a suref ire sign that a player will never amount to anything.

Steelersfan87
12-10-2011, 10:09 PM
It doesn't matter what he was. What he is now would easily have been worth the pick that the Steelers selected him at. It's unfortunate in hindsight the Tony Hills had to finally show up late in that preseason to claim a roster spot over Urbik, considering both are now gone.

theplatypus
12-11-2011, 07:29 AM
I don't pay attention to the Buffalo Bills so he very well might have improved but I did see him play when he was with Wisconsin. He seemed weak all around. I read at our camp he was getting pushed around by Travis Kirshke. Then when I saw him in preseason for the first time, I was horrified. I didn't like the pick at all. Especially since we traded down for him.

At least you're finally admitting that you just pull shit out of your ass. Keep up the good work, admitting you have problem is the first step towards recovery.

Bayz101
12-11-2011, 07:39 AM
At least you're finally admitting that you just pull shit out of your ass. Keep up the good work, admitting you have problem is the first step towards recovery.

:rofl: