PDA

View Full Version : Will 11-5 make the playoffs?

NEWstevo
11-18-2011, 08:38 AM
Its about games lost, not games won.

When I think about the playoffs and what it takes to make it into the post season, the first thing I count is how many games a team has lost. Mathematically speaking, another loss hurts more than a win helps.

So the Steelers sit at 7-3. I believe they can only lose two more times. And every time they lose, it makes the remaining games that much more important. So obviously that means right now Pittsburgh must win at least four more with six games remaining.

And this is without considering the impact of which teams the Steelers lose to, and how it plays in seeding or tie breakers.

Who will beat the Steelers?

Chiefs
Bengals
Browns
49ers
Rams
Browns

Will 11-5 even make the playoffs?

Big Daddy Beast
11-18-2011, 08:57 AM
I believe we'll go 12-4 with a loss to SF if we keep our foot on the gas. I think we'll be fighting till the very end of the season, so no weeks off by having anything locked up. We might even beat SF; there's that mystique about traveling from one coast to the other, but we'll have 11 days between Cle and SF.

That being said I most definitely foresee a few 11-5 teams being in the playoffs.

tanda10506
11-18-2011, 10:40 AM
11-5 will make the playoffs. Everybody in the west and south have 5 losses already except the Raiders and Texans. The Raiders will lose more than one and Leinart will probably lose 4 or 5 of the remaining 6. The jets just lost their 5th game and the Bills are going downhill. We still have a chance at winning the division. The playoff race is really within our division.

jjpro11
11-18-2011, 10:43 AM
i think 10-6 will make it this year, although maybe with tie-breakers involved.. there's just too much mediocrity in the AFC this year.

the Bills and Titans are both 5-4.. highly likely they both lose at least 2 more games with the way they have been playing.

Jets and Broncos both at 5-5.. again, highly likely they both lose at least one more game.

then you have teams like the Raiders at 5-4, currently in first place.. highly likely they drop two more. the Chargers are reeling at 4-5, little to no chance they run the table. Texans just lost their starting QB, at 7-3, they'll probably drop a few more.

Steelers at 7-3, Ravens and Bengals both at 6-3. i expect 2 of those 3 to finish with less than 6 losses. i don't know if the Bengals will be able to finish strong with their injuries and Andy Dalton possibly reaching the rookie wall. i believe one of those teams could finish with 6 losses and still make the wild card.

Fire Arians
11-18-2011, 10:45 AM
considering that the jets are now 5-5 and the bills aren't looking that hot at 5-4, and in the west, the 2nd place team is tebowmania, 11-5 is a sure lock for a wildcard. both wc teams will be from the AFC north

StainlessStill
11-18-2011, 12:42 PM
I honestly see us losing only one more, two TOPS if we hiccup just an ounce. I think we finish 12-4 and win the division. My prediction as is for the AFC NORTH is this:

Pittsburgh: 12-4
Baltimore: 10-6
Cincinnati: 9-7.

Just a gut and a hunch that Baltimore will experience some sort of collapse. Cincy twice, San Fran and then San Diego, not to mention Cleveland always playing them tough regardless.

Fire Arians
11-18-2011, 12:48 PM
I honestly see us losing only one more, two TOPS if we hiccup just an ounce. I think we finish 12-4 and win the division. My prediction as is for the AFC NORTH is this:

Pittsburgh: 12-4
Baltimore: 10-6
Cincinnati: 9-7.

Just a gut and a hunch that Baltimore will experience some sort of collapse. Cincy twice, San Fran and then San Diego, not to mention Cleveland always playing them tough regardless.

I think if baltimore loses this weekend, they will have a collapse. the letdown against seattle, then dropping one to the bengals at home, with all those attitudes they have on that team, someone's gonna snap.

at this point we should hope the pats slip in 1-2 games. I don't like the idea of going to gilette stadium in the postseason.

13-3 is possible if we stay hot. The more I look at that SF team, I don't think they match up well against us. Our boys can pull off that win if the travel cross country doesn't get to them. Our biggest risk to lose another game is probably the bengals at home IMO

ricardisimo
11-18-2011, 01:02 PM
I don't think we lose again, quite honestly. Maybe Cleveland if it's meaningless by then. We beat the Bengals in Cincy, which was the "hard" one, next one should be easier, to say the least. San Fran... I'm not a believer yet. I know that sounds weird given their record, but I will be shocked if they are still a one-loss team when we meet.

Baltimore has had difficulties beating any team not based in Pittsburgh, and Flacco's too stupid to figure out 4-3 defenses, and he has three decent ones coming up: Cincy twice and San Fran. They could conceivably miss the playoffs, and then we'd get to watch the glorious spectacle of Harbaugh blaming everyone else for it. That will be nice.

vasteeler
11-18-2011, 01:11 PM
I don't think we lose again, quite honestly. Maybe Cleveland if it's meaningless by then. We beat the Bengals in Cincy, which was the "hard" one, next one should be easier, to say the least. San Fran... I'm not a believer yet. I know that sounds weird given their record, but I will be shocked if they are still a one-loss team when we meet.

Baltimore has had difficulties beating any team not based in Pittsburgh, and Flacco's too stupid to figure out 4-3 defenses, and he has three decent ones coming up: Cincy twice and San Fran. They could conceivably miss the playoffs, and then we'd get to watch the glorious spectacle of Harbaugh blaming everyone else for it. That will be nice.

:iagree:

stb_steeler
11-18-2011, 02:17 PM
Watch sound FX tonight, Ben says were the team to beat......Im glad he's confident and he should be! :coffee:

rich4eagle
11-18-2011, 07:01 PM

When I think about the playoffs and what it takes to make it into the post season, the first thing I count is how many games a team has lost. Mathematically speaking, another loss hurts more than a win helps.

So the Steelers sit at 7-3. I believe they can only lose two more times. And every time they lose, it makes the remaining games that much more important. So obviously that means right now Pittsburgh must win at least four more with six games remaining.

And this is without considering the impact of which teams the Steelers lose to, and how it plays in seeding or tie breakers.

Chiefs
Bengals
Browns
49ers
Rams
Browns

11-5 will make the playoffs, 10-6 is a long shot for the stteelers:tt:

casteeler
11-18-2011, 09:55 PM
I remember a similar thread about this same time 2 years ago... Then the Steelers lost a string of games to Horrid teams and missed the playoffs. Someone please move this thread it's making me nervous

Steelerfreak58
11-18-2011, 10:10 PM
The loss at home to the Ravens will be the Steelers undoing.

tanda10506
11-19-2011, 12:32 AM
The loss at home to the Ravens will be the Steelers undoing.

Undoing? We already bounced back and the rats lost right after. Yeah we should have and needed to win that game, but it's all in how we finish the season. We wont have an "undoing" this year.

steelerchad
11-19-2011, 08:02 AM
10-6 in the AFC is almost a guarantee for the playoffs for the Steelers. With head to head tie-breaks against the Titans and Pats, we're in very good shape for at least a playoff spot. To win the division, I think it will take 12-4 for the Steelers. I can almost see a team getting in as the 6th seed at 9-7 this year, and that team could be the Bengals.

At this point, it is unlikely the West will produce a wildcard team. Those teams are all 5-4 or 4-5 and will beat each other up the rest of the way. 9-7 could win that division.

The South got a little interesting with the Texans QB situation. If they collapse the Titans could catch them. That would be good if we win the division but bad if we don't as we own a tiebreak with the Titans, but the Texans own it against us.

Wildcards should come from the North and/or East. But the Jets just took a giant step back this week.

I'm actually looking forward to the bye week and watching all the games that could affect our playoff situation on the Sunday ticket. Kind of nice not having the pressue on for a week. We get to hope for Ravens losses twice before the next time we take the field as the Ravens also play Thanksgiving night.

sharkweek
11-19-2011, 10:23 AM
11-5 will make the playoffs. Everybody in the west and south have 5 losses already except the Raiders and Texans. The Raiders will lose more than one and Leinart will probably lose 4 or 5 of the remaining 6. The jets just lost their 5th game and the Bills are going downhill. We still have a chance at winning the division. The playoff race is really within our division.

this

if the season ended today, the AFC North would have both wildcards

Atlanta Dan
11-19-2011, 10:47 AM
As The New York Times sifts through the wreckage of the Jets loss to Denver (TEEEEBOOOOW!:chuckle:), 10 wins is regarded as the price for a wildcard ticket

Over the last nine seasons, the A.F.C.ís wild-card teams have averaged 10.9 victories, with only 4 of the 18 winning as few as nine games. This season, in a conference that is competitive but not top-heavy, nine victories could be enough. More likely, the Jets would need 10

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/19/sports/football/jets-face-tough-path-after-losing-to-broncos-and-patriots.html?_r=1&ref=sports

Fire Arians
11-19-2011, 12:47 PM
tebowmania! lol

Atlanta Dan
11-19-2011, 06:04 PM
tebowmania! lol

Redefining Excellence, One Handoff at a Time

The conscious mind cannot reconcile his 4-1 record as quarterback of the Broncos with his ineptitude as a passer, so the mind snaps and creates a narrative in which scoring 27 offensive points in two weeks is somehow a hallmark of excellence.

Tebow appears to be redefining the quarterback position in a way that renders passing, regularly sustaining drives and consistently scoring points irrelevant.
:chuckle:

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/18/redefining-excellence-one-handoff-at-a-time/?ref=sports

JustinM
11-19-2011, 07:20 PM

Chiefs
Bengals
Browns
49ers
Rams
Browns

dude, the ravens won't be tied with us in record, they'll be behind.