PDA

View Full Version : What (or Who) Is To Blame For Tomlin's Late Season Collapses?

RichardCullinanForever
11-19-2011, 02:42 PM
I've been watching the Steelers religiously since the 2004 season (relax, I'm only 18). And while I can explain the horrid 2006 season - simply put, Cowher got what he wanted and didn't care much about winning again, and the O-line was perhaps the worst/most injured in recent years. 2006 was a REAL Super Bowl hangover. Cowher didn't give his players enough sh** when they didn't preform, and just the whole way of going about the season was a little 'relaxed.' But in 2007 and 2009, I can't seem to explain what happened, partially because I can't remember those seasons well enough. But can you really blame a 'super bowl hangover' for a 6-2 start to the season? Are we destined for another 'collapse.' I mean, I can't say I don't have my doubts about this season, but as Ben put it "we aren't even playing to our full potential yet." Plus our remaining schedule is somewhat of a joke. But someone has to be to blame for a 6-2 start and a 3-5 finish. And someone has to be to blame for a 9-3 start and 1-3 finish in 2007. Is Tomlin to blame, are injuries, or is it the tough schedule? WHAT HAPPENED!?

So 2 questions:
1) What happened in 2007 and 2009? AND
2) Are we destined for the same horrid finish?

GMU Steeler
11-19-2011, 02:46 PM
2007: We lost Willie Parker and Aaron Smith while they were still productive players for the season. If you remember the Jacksonville playoff game, they killed us in the running game. Still nearly won that one amazingly.

2009: Our special teams were absolutely terrible that season. And missing Troy hurt the secondary which already was mediocre at best. We couldn't close out games at all that season.

I think we're going to be all right this season. We're beating the teams we should beat and the offensive line finally is starting to mesh. Plus Troy is healthy and we tend to do best in years where he is healthy.

Whodis
11-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Horrid???

you should have been like some of us and witnessed the late 80's and 90's

Injuries are normally a big thing late in the season. For the most part the hottest team late in the season goes to the super bowl. I like this team right now and IMO we will be pretty damn good with Woodley and Harrison on the field together.

Enjoy this!! You are a injury away from reliving our Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, Kordell years

ricardisimo
11-19-2011, 05:20 PM
Who is to blame for him taking us to two Super Bowls in three years?!?! I'm tired of this, and I want to relive the 80s and 90s. Please fire this bum.

Fire Arians
11-19-2011, 05:38 PM
Who is to blame for him taking us to two Super Bowls in three years?!?! I'm tired of this, and I want to relive the 80s and 90s. Please fire this bum.

and bring back bobby blister :chuckle:

stb_steeler
11-19-2011, 05:48 PM

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x298/BABAS1er/NFL%20American%20Football/1992%20NEWSPORT/1992NewSport1BubbyBRISTERsteeler-1.jpg
You rang..........

stb_steeler
11-19-2011, 05:52 PM
I've been watching the Steelers religiously since the 2004 season (relax, I'm only 18). And while I can explain the horrid 2006 season - simply put, Cowher got what he wanted and didn't care much about winning again, and the O-line was perhaps the worst/most injured in recent years. 2006 was a REAL Super Bowl hangover. Cowher didn't give his players enough sh** when they didn't preform, and just the whole way of going about the season was a little 'relaxed.' But in 2007 and 2009, I can't seem to explain what happened, partially because I can't remember those seasons well enough. But can you really blame a 'super bowl hangover' for a 6-2 start to the season? Are we destined for another 'collapse.' I mean, I can't say I don't have my doubts about this season, but as Ben put it "we aren't even playing to our full potential yet." Plus our remaining schedule is somewhat of a joke. But someone has to be to blame for a 6-2 start and a 3-5 finish. And someone has to be to blame for a 9-3 start and 1-3 finish in 2007. Is Tomlin to blame, are injuries, or is it the tough schedule? WHAT HAPPENED!?

So 2 questions:

Not sure i understand your philosophy on thinking were headed for a horrid finish. I'll take 9-3 anyday.....:noidea:

steelerchad
11-19-2011, 06:17 PM
that's just the ups and downs of the NFL. And for those 2 bad finishes the Steelers have had 2 great finishes ending up in the Super Bowl in both years. 2007, I attribute to injuries mostly and 2009 was just one of those years. A 5 game stretch where we couldn't get out of our own way.

Topped off by Bruce Air Ariens, airing it out on a cold December evening in Cleveland 32 times. With wild chill factor of negative 12 and 30 mph winds, Bruce was dead set on throwing all over Cleveland when we could have just lined up and 3 and out punted our way to a win. The Browns had no offense, but their D was able to sack Ben 8 times on all those dropbacks and capitalized on the field position and won 13-6. May have been the worst gameplan I've ever seen in an NFL game. The Steelers were so much better than the Browns that year they could have run on every single down without 1 pass play and won that game. Bruce outsmarted himself on that day.

That being said, I'm pretty happy with our offensive play calling so far this year. Even without a great running game our offense looks unstoppable at times.

queeg
11-19-2011, 06:24 PM

So 2 questions:

Lets get positive...tearing down any Steeler just to feed some perverted pleasure is not appreciated by Steeler faithful...

RichardCullinanForever
11-19-2011, 08:36 PM

I never said Tomlin was to blame, but you guys are lying to yourself if you think starting the season 9-3 and ending up a 4th seed in the playoffs is anything but mediocre.

RichardCullinanForever
11-19-2011, 08:40 PM
And I do think we're making the playoffs, hell I think we're winning the division, taking the number one seed and going back to the Super Bowl. I was just asking you 'experts' your opinion on the two Tomlin Collapses. Yes, starting the season 6-2 and only winning 9 games is a collapse, especially if you want to consider yourself an elite team. Starting the season 9-3 and finish 10-6 is a collapse as well. This isn't baseball, you don't have to lose 15 games in a row for it to be considered a collapse. If you're looking like you should be atop your conference and you lose 3 games in one month, that is a collapse in my book.

steelfury02
11-19-2011, 08:54 PM
any year we don't win a Super Bowl is a collapse anymore. As mentioned before - we are starting to be looked at much in the same light as Yankees fans. Championship or hell to pay! The 09 5 game losing streak was one of the more brutal stretches to witness only because that was the same team that was very capable of repeating but yes, they were mentally, physically exhausted. Eventually all the long seasons are going to get to you. I really hope we stay healthy this season - we can't afford any injuries towards the end/playoff run.

fer522
11-19-2011, 09:05 PM

be careful what you wish for :chuckle:

Sixburgher
11-19-2011, 09:07 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/30/fail_thread.jpg

FanSince72
11-20-2011, 09:00 AM
Horrid???

you should have been like some of us and witnessed the late 80's and 90's

Injuries are normally a big thing late in the season. For the most part the hottest team late in the season goes to the super bowl. I like this team right now and IMO we will be pretty damn good with Woodley and Harrison on the field together.

Enjoy this!! You are a injury away from reliving our Mark Malone, Bubby Brister, Kordell years

Malone, Brister, Kordell, the 80's...

Brrr!
The very thought sends shivers through my body.

After living through those years it's actually quite amazing that no Steeler fan ended up naked in a bell tower with a high powered rifle and a death wish.

(Which, BTW speaks well of the character (or at least the ability to endure suffering) of the average Steeler fan).

I guess what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? :tt03:

RichardCullinanForever
11-20-2011, 09:24 AM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/30/fail_thread.jpg

curmudgeon

StainlessStill
11-20-2011, 09:33 AM
Quick and easy:

1) What happened in 2007

This was Tomlin's first year as head coach. Taking over a veteran coaching staff who was only 2 years removed from the Super Bowl, a team coming off of a bad Super Bowl hangover and a team full of ****y veterans who saw their head coach resign after 14 years with the team. Tomlin had to run a pretty tough, hard-hitting and exhausting training camp to make a point. Because of it, our players were run down with fatigue and we suffered from injuries. All that, we still made the post-season & only 1 play away from advancing to N.E in 2007.

and 2009?

Started strong, lost our All-Pro SS, had leads in the 4th QRTS in mainly all of the games we lost but just had a total meltdown in the last quarter of play. We still battled, but couldn't answer the bell against bad teams (sounds like Balty of '11.) Still, I don't get where you think we finished horrid. In 2009, we put together a string of wins to finish out the season, against good teams and even with a late season collapse, only missed the playoffs by one lousy game.

IMHO, absolutely not. I think we're actually destined for another deep run in January if you look at the overall, big picture.

theplatypus
11-20-2011, 09:58 AM
1) What happened in 2007 and 2009?

shit happens

RichardCullinanForever
11-20-2011, 10:26 AM
1) What happened in 2007 and 2009?

shit happens

That's what Silverback would say.

tony hipchest
11-20-2011, 12:25 PM
And I do think we're making the playoffs, hell I think we're winning the division, taking the number one seed and going back to the Super Bowl. I was just asking you 'experts' your opinion on the two Tomlin Collapses. Yes, starting the season 6-2 and only winning 9 games is a collapse, especially if you want to consider yourself an elite team. Starting the season 9-3 and finish 10-6 is a collapse as well. This isn't baseball, you don't have to lose 15 games in a row for it to be considered a collapse. If you're looking like you should be atop your conference and you lose 3 games in one month, that is a collapse in my book.i blame the opponents for not bending over, stepping aside,& laying down, giving the steelers the yearly free ride through the playoffs so many of their fans have come to expect.

:hunch:

LayingTheWoodley56
11-22-2011, 11:44 AM
2007 was not really a slow finish - we simply weren't that good in 2007 first off, and one of those losses (the last one of the season against the Ravens) came when we were resting our starters because our playoff position was locked in. Like was said by someone above, losing Parker that year really hurt, we had no running game whatsover against Jacksonville, we were unable to control the clock and got into a shootout that we lost.

2009, losing Troy certainly killed us. It was just a lackluster season. A lot of tough losses to inferior competition, and not one loss by more than seven points. It's not like we were were getting killed, we were just losing close game after close game; we were competitive in all 16 games that season. Could have easily been 11-5, 12-4 with a lucky bounce here or there. Plus, like was said above, our kick return coverage was nothing short of an eye sore.

I don't think that Tomlin's teams have a problem with second half collapses. Let's not forget his other two seasons had second-half Super Bowl runs.

Fire Arians
11-22-2011, 11:45 AM
2007 - ride willie parker till the wheels fall off. and they did

LayingTheWoodley56
11-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Back to 2007, no Wille in the regular season loss to Jacksonville hurt us too because if anyone recalls that game was played in a snowstorm. Weather is always the great equalizer, and you need a solid running game to ensure victory in a game like that. The other loss that year, to the Jets in Jersey (which I was(un)fortunate to be in attendance for) was definitely a bad loss to a crummy team. No excuses for that one. What I'm saying is, it was a 1-3 finish but not a dreadful 1-3. A lot of mitigating circumstances. Could have easily been 2-2 or 3-1 if we played our starters and made a couple more plays against the Jets.

steelfury02
11-22-2011, 08:06 PM
3 division titles in 4 years
1 for 2 in Super Bowls
Averaging about 11 wins a season

The law of averages says that in the next 4 seasons (including this one) we will win the division 3 times, make the Super Bowl twice and win at least it all at least once.

Basically, when Tomlin is ready to retire he'll have two more SB titles, and Ben will have 4 rings. Wow that is awful

ricardisimo
11-22-2011, 08:53 PM
1 for 2 in Super Bowls

The law of averages says that in the next 4 seasons (including this one) we will win the division 3 times, make the Super Bowl twice and win at least it all at least once.

Basically, when Tomlin is ready to retire he'll have two more SB titles, and Ben will have 4 rings. Wow that is awful
So answer the OP's question... How do you explain these collapses?

Whodis
11-23-2011, 06:26 AM
1 for 2 in Super Bowls

Before we get too high on Tomlin...............

Barry Switzer won a super bowl:noidea: