PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger receives outpouring of support

lamberts-lost-tooth
06-17-2006, 12:27 PM
Roethlisberger receives outpouring of support

By Joe Starkey
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, June 17, 2006

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger has received plenty of criticism since his motorcycle accident Monday.
Plenty of support, too.

"We got an outpouring of concern in cards and letters," Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said Friday. "And, on Monday, we had a large volume of calls to our offices."

The get-well wishes that arrived at Steelers offices on the South Side were merged with those that went straight to Mercy Hospital, where Roethlisberger spent three days before being released late Wednesday night.

"I think we had four boxes worth of e-mail and cards," Mercy hospital spokeswoman Linda Ross said. "The boxes were the size of a photo copier-paper box. We also got several packages and dozens of flower arrangements."

Ross said, even though live plants and flowers were not permitted in the part of the hospital where Roethlisberger stayed, he was aware of their presence.

"He saw every single arrangement," Ross said. "He was shown everything. We also got a lot of phone calls to our operators from well-wishers, a lot of them older folks who don't necessarily have access to e-mail. Some people were hand-delivering packages and flowers to our information desk. They wanted to drop things off personally."

Ross said the outpouring was similar to what other high-profile patients at the hospital have received.

"It was what we expected," she said.

Meanwhile, on the Steelers' web site (www.pittsburghsteelers.com), fans posted a thread titled, "Get well wishes for Ben." As of Friday afternoon, it had 138 postings and 4,873 views. A similar thread posted on Roethlisberger's web site (www.br-7.com) had 481 postings and 12,551 views.

Roethlisberger, 24, underwent seven hours of surgery Monday, as doctors repaired multiple head and facial injuries, including a broken upper and lower jaw, a broken nose and a broken orbital bone. He was not wearing a helmet when his motorcycle slammed into a car on Second Avenue at the Armstrong Tunnel and 10th Street Bridge.

Upon leaving the hospital, Roethlisberger is believed to have returned with family members to his home on Washington's Landing. He expects to participate in training camp, which begins July 28, and, judging by his comments in a team-released statement Thursday, he plans to be ready for the season-opener Sept. 7 against the Miami Dolphins.

Roethlisberger also thanked his well-wishers, saying, "By the grace of God, I am fortunate to be alive, surrounded by loved ones and lifted by the prayers and support of so many."

Joe Starkey can be reached at jstarkey@tribweb.com

Ohio Steeler
06-18-2006, 01:04 AM
what can we say we love our Ben

SteelerzGirl
06-18-2006, 01:08 AM
Yes, we do love our Ben. I hope he got the get well card I sent to Mercy Hospital. :smile: