PDA

View Full Version : Steelers playoff chances improve on bye week

steelerchad
11-20-2011, 08:06 PM
Bengals fall to 6-4. Steelers have a 1 game lead plus tiebreaker currently.
Titans, Bills, Jets all lose to fall to 5-5. Steelers have 2 game lead over all and a head to head tie-breaker with the Titans.
Chargers lose to fall to 4-6 and are on life support.

You'd have to think that even a 3-3 finish with a 10-6 record would be good enough to get a playoff spot this year.

gloydfan
11-20-2011, 08:27 PM
If they had called that horse collar tackle on ravens, might would have had division lead. Anybody else notice the nocall on the head to head hit on bengals receiver? Announcer only said"good hit"... Harrison would have been suspended...

Atlanta Dan
11-20-2011, 08:27 PM
Agreed

Ravens win today hurt the chance to win the divison but with Jets, Bills, Chargers, Bengals and Titans losing this week winning at least a wildcard is very likely

gloydfan
11-20-2011, 08:31 PM
I feel like they can win on the road, but would like to see them get the bye.

steelbad@50
11-20-2011, 09:28 PM
I feel like they can win on the road, but would like to see them get the bye.
I know some will disagree with this but getting a bye isnt all its cracked up to be. Once you are on a roll, (winning streak) I personally think keeping that momentum is better. :noidea: What do some of u think?

bornaSteelersfan
11-20-2011, 09:32 PM
I think a late bye week can only help us this season. Our players got to get some much needed rest. They also get to see what other teams are doing and how they are playing en route to the playoffs. I really don't think we were "on a roll" at all with the loss to The Ravens 2 weeks ago. We get to watch the Ravens play twice before we play again.

steelerchad
11-20-2011, 09:46 PM
If they had called that horse collar tackle on ravens, might would have had division lead. Anybody else notice the nocall on the head to head hit on bengals receiver? Announcer only said"good hit"... Harrison would have been suspended...

Yeah, I noticed that horse collar not called. Hell, Suggs came across his facemask first which is also a penalty. You can't even touch a QB's head or it's suppossed to be an automatic penalty. Was it grounding, probably. But there was a receiver in that direction.

Also saw the hit Dierdorf priased that was not only helmet to helmet contact, but an actual lowering of the helmet and using it to butt the other player. WTF.

steelbad@50
11-20-2011, 09:48 PM
I think a late bye week can only help us this season. Our players got to get some much needed rest. They also get to see what other teams are doing and how they are playing en route to the playoffs. I really don't think we were "on a roll" at all with the loss to The Ravens 2 weeks ago. We get to watch the Ravens play twice before we play again.

Sorry, the bye i was talking about was the first round bye of the playoffs. Hopefully we would have been on some kind of roll up to that point. I do agree with u bornaSteelerfan;963748 this late bye does help us as u say.this regular season of play.:tt04:

bornaSteelersfan
11-20-2011, 10:03 PM
OK, steelbad, I don't necessarily think a bye week will be bad for a play-off run. Steelers have done it with and without (Super Bowl XL being the most memorable without). I definitely think resting your starters and losing the last game of the season because it "doesn't matter" is a bad idea. The starters need to keep the momentum going by winning. Rest them once you have a huge lead, maybe, but otherwise let them play. We've seen the Colts do this and fall flat quite a few times. I think it depends more on how banged up your team is at the end of the season. Watching your next week's opponents play with all the replays may help.

Fire Arians
11-20-2011, 10:34 PM
I know some will disagree with this but getting a bye isnt all its cracked up to be. Once you are on a roll, (winning streak) I personally think keeping that momentum is better. :noidea: What do some of u think?

thought the same thing. the homefield advantage does help though

Polamalu43
11-20-2011, 11:13 PM
I say we go 5-1 in the Final 6.. the only real test i see is the Niners game thats it..

skinart82
11-20-2011, 11:55 PM
ratbirds still have to play Cincy one more time and it's at Cincy, bungles should have won this game and it was in baltimore. Plus ratbirds still have the 49ers and Chargers. Chargers don't look too hot right now, but they do have the talent to beat the ratbirds if needed.

madtowndrunkard
11-21-2011, 12:49 AM
I say the only chance we have to win the division is if we win out....

I say that because I see the Rat birds losing only 1 game the rest of the way.

I suspect we'll lose at least 1 game....wouldn't' surprise me if we lost 2. We've been so inconsistent...and I don't buy for a second that our O-line can keep it together. If Ben finishes the season with out missing a game I'll be shocked.

Our run defense also scares the hell out of me. I think we'll be fighting for a wild card spot....it will go down the last game of the season. I think it will be between us and the Bengals.

I'm not overly confident we beat the Bengals a 2nd time. I think we lose that game last week if the Bengals coaches called a better game. They ran on us with ease..and we couldn't slow down their blitz at all.... they should have exploited that fact more then they did.... If I were a benGals fan I'd be irate at that coaching job.

We should get in though... as long as Ben can make it till the end. Once we're in anything can happen.

therocksteeler
11-21-2011, 12:52 AM
:iagree::iagree:ratbirds still have to play Cincy one more time and it's at Cincy, bungles should have won this game and it was in baltimore. Plus ratbirds still have the 49ers and Chargers. Chargers don't look too hot right now, but they do have the talent to beat the ratbirds if needed.

:iagree:

Bengals should have won that game refs gave it to them = robbed the Bengals = it was a touchdown folks!

tanda10506
11-21-2011, 01:41 AM
The ravens are getting yards and points handed to them by the refs. Ridiculous. The bengals had a chance but Dalton played bad too, I think they will beat the ratbirds in cincy. All we have to do is win one more game than them. I think we can go 6-0, the niners are the real test and I don't see Alex Smith beating our D.

BleedPurple
11-21-2011, 03:19 AM
:iagree::iagree:

Bengals should have won that game refs gave it to them = robbed the Bengals = it was a touchdown folks!

I agree it was a touchdown. Bengals still lose by 3. . .

BleedPurple
11-21-2011, 03:21 AM
The ravens are getting yards and points handed to them by the refs. Ridiculous. The bengals had a chance but Dalton played bad too, I think they will beat the ratbirds in cincy. All we have to do is win one more game than them. I think we can go 6-0, the niners are the real test and I don't see Alex Smith beating our D.

I have not been here long, but this is what I gather from other members, and lurking older threads: on this board, Steelers fans used to make fun of Ravens fans for complaining about the referees. What happened to that? When did you all decide the refs were in some secret pact with the Ravens to hand them games? No one gets handed games folks, please remove tin foil hats. Refs screw everyone. They have called back several big runs from Ray Rice with nonexistent holding calls, including one that went to the house in the 2nd steelers game. Seriously people.

Steel_Bus_24
11-21-2011, 04:01 AM
I have not been here long, but this is what I gather from other members, and lurking older threads: on this board, Steelers fans used to make fun of Ravens fans for complaining about the referees. What happened to that? When did you all decide the refs were in some secret pact with the Ravens to hand them games? No one gets handed games folks, please remove tin foil hats. Refs screw everyone. They have called back several big runs from Ray Rice with nonexistent holding calls, including one that went to the house in the 2nd steelers game. Seriously people.

Oh please Spare us your BS....Mr. Doesn't even show until after your team gets a win

That goes for all the rest of the assbag Raven Fans who went into hiding last week.....Don't come on here an grab your crotch and talk down to us one week, and then vanish after a loss an expect to be given much respect

Rick5895
11-21-2011, 05:28 AM
ratbirds still have to play Cincy one more time and it's at Cincy, bungles should have won this game and it was in baltimore. Plus ratbirds still have the 49ers and Chargers. Chargers don't look too hot right now, but they do have the talent to beat the ratbirds if needed.

Couldn't agree more. The Bengals could very likely win the home game vs ratbirds and I suspect on national TV on Thursday the 49ers will beat them, although i am not so sure about the chargers, they look absolutely lost. By the time we play the niners they will likely have nothing to play for and we will still be battling for the division. I see us winning out and ratbirds likely finishing 12-4 or 11-5

Rick5895
11-21-2011, 05:30 AM
Whwere were you last week when the Ratbirds lost to the Seabags??
Don't let the door hit you ass on the way out, you are dismissed!!

IowaSteeler927
11-21-2011, 05:36 AM

Oh you mean the one where push-off Torey Smith was grabbing handfuls of William Gay's jersey? Ravens fans are all blind and deaf but unfortunately not mute.

plenewken
11-21-2011, 07:33 AM
:iagree::iagree:

I don't know if they would have beat Baltimore with the TD but I agree that it was a TD.
WTF? 10mn to review a play from each and every angle? What's next? DNA testing on the ball? It's not officiating anymore, it's forensics!!
The League is killing the game with their stupid rules and fines.

BossAus
11-21-2011, 08:09 AM
I agree it was a touchdown. Bengals still lose by 3. . .

Not so fast, my friend! The Bengals would have had a little more momentum going their way if that touchdown counted, so who knows what could have happened.

steelfury02
11-21-2011, 09:18 AM
Just focusing on getting into the playoffs.

I'm more concerned with the idea of the Cheats sneaking away with the #1 seed.

We didn't hold serve at home - its time to move on from the idea of cheering for teams playing against the Ravens - it will make for a very frustrating last part of the season. Yes - the Ravens have gotten some help - but Daulton also handed them 3 possessions - so be it I say.

plenewken
11-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Just focusing on getting into the playoffs.

I'm more concerned with the idea of the Cheats sneaking away with the #1 seed.

We didn't hold serve at home - its time to move on from the idea of cheering for teams playing against the Ravens - it will make for a very frustrating last part of the season. Yes - the Ravens have gotten some help - but Daulton also handed them 3 possessions - so be it I say.

No question that Dalton had 3 INT but it's unacceptable to see on-field decisions being overturned the way they are now.
If it takes the refs 10mn to scrutinize the replay in slow motion to determine if it's a TD or not, there's something completely wrong with the rule.
IMO the TD was valid. He crossed the goal line with full possession of the ball and that what matters, nothing else. The fact that the ball barely left his hand when he was tackled and fell to the ground in the end zone 2 seconds later is completely irrelevant.
It might not have impacted the outcome of the game but it's still a joke. The NFL is killing the game, period.

Whodis
11-21-2011, 10:15 AM
I know I'm getting off topic (playoff talk)

I thought the Bengals took one out of the Arians playbook when they got greedy and went for the "home run pass". Also felt they got away from the run a little to quick. Lastly, I do know Im arm chairing.

steelfury02
11-21-2011, 10:26 AM
Oh no, no question to me if it takes that long and the fact he had control and crossed the pylon/line/whatever it should instantly be a touchdown. I agree - why are we worrying about a spectacular effort/play once he crosses the endzone or any form of it. Who cares the way he fell after the play happened - it was a situation that changed the direction of the game.

I've stated before that the game changing play should go to the team that made a spectacular play/made the extra effort - not the team that benefited from some ticky tack rule that took multiple people to scrutinize it down to a millimeter of ball movement.

All I'm saying is that for me, it was almost as if the Steelers loss yesterday watching the Ravens win one I wanted them to lose so badly against another team - it reopened the wound that was the 23-20 loss to them at Heinz and was a constant reminder of how the Steelers didn't do their job. (As an offense for 3/4 of the game, and as a defense letting them drive 92 yards - however you look at it, they had a prime opportunity to begin paving the most ideal path to a SB and let it slip away when they didn't have to.)

This bye week needs to be over already and yes, the Bengals got a little greedy.

BleedPurple
11-21-2011, 04:19 PM
Whwere were you last week when the Ratbirds lost to the Seabags??
Don't let the door hit you ass on the way out, you are dismissed!!

. . .I was here last week, posting several times in the Seahawks/Ravens game thread about how I was worried about the Bengals after the Seahawks debacle. You should actually check if I posted last week before you 'dismiss' me.:coffee:

Anyway, back to the TD. It was absolutely a touchdown, the ball rolling 1/2" out of his hand after crossing the plane (and out of bounds) should not have called that catch back. BUT, there was another bad call in that game, which was a catch / FF that was called an incomplete pass, even though the player took two steps after securing the ball. I don't like that you have to catch the ball, take it home with you, spend the week with it, and bring it to the next game still in your hands for it to be a catch. That fumble would have swung momentum in Baltimore's favor.

My point is, there are crappy calls for both teams every game, so there isn't much validity to the argument that the Raven's are somehow getting ref help. The refs don't root for any team, they just suck and miss calls and make bad calls when they aren't missing them.

Pentheon
11-21-2011, 05:03 PM
I still think were gonna win the division...I know weve won some close iffy games but the ravens have lost to some poor teams, you never know with them playing the niners this week

Fire Arians
11-21-2011, 05:20 PM
i think the ravens are going to have another letdown thursday. they just played a hard and physical game vs the bengals and have to go against a healthy 49er team who had an easy game sunday.

Whodis
11-21-2011, 05:42 PM
i think the ravens are going to have another letdown thursday. they just played a hard and physical game vs the bengals and have to go against a healthy 49er team who had an easy game sunday.

I'm curious to see how good the 49ers are. Don't watch too many NFC, let alone west coast games. I did watch the Rat / Bengal game and I thought the Bengals left that one get away. San Fran traveling on short rest has to suck

ricardisimo
11-21-2011, 07:07 PM
I still say we go undefeated, unless the 2nd Browns game becomes meaningless. The Ravens will lose to San Fran and in Cincy. The division is ours.

Fire Arians
11-21-2011, 07:25 PM
I'm curious to see how good the 49ers are. Don't watch too many NFC, let alone west coast games. I did watch the Rat / Bengal game and I thought the Bengals left that one get away. San Fran traveling on short rest has to suck

sort of like the steelers in the o'donnell era. good defense, dominant running game, quarterback who isn't a playmaker but doesn't make many mistakes

ricardisimo
11-21-2011, 08:56 PM
sort of like the steelers in the o'donnell era. good defense, dominant running game, quarterback who isn't a playmaker but doesn't make many mistakes
C'mon now, O'Donnell was better than that. He threw some beauties to Thigpen regularly.

And please... we're talking about Alex Smith here. Not sure just how many times he had to mortgage and leverage his soul just to keep his job, let alone suddenly become Joe Montana... It ain't gonna last. You know that and I know that. He's due for a collapse. probably of monumental proportions, like the one we're seeing in Buffalo right now.

Atlanta Dan
11-21-2011, 09:10 PM
C'mon now, O'Donnell was better than that. He threw some beauties to Thigpen regularly..

And to a wide open Larry Brown:banging:

steelfury02
11-22-2011, 09:45 AM
lol - that Ravens v. 49ers is going to be one heck of a game, only for the simple reason that I will take a swig of home made Brandy every time the salivating announcers mention "Harbaugh Bowl"

Please, just not too many shots of the coaches - I can't stand either one of them. More shots of Flacco's uni-brow would be more tolerable

Steel_Bus_24
11-22-2011, 03:39 PM
lol - that Ravens v. 49ers is going to be one heck of a game, only for the simple reason that I will take a swig of home made Brandy every time the salivating announcers mention "Harbaugh Bowl"

Please, just not too many shots of the coaches - I can't stand either one of them. More shots of Flacco's uni-brow would be more tolerable

sadly I agree

StainlessStill
11-22-2011, 04:39 PM

I'm actually rooting for Ray-Ray to play against the 9'ers just for the simple fact that the camera's won't be on his ugly mug on the sidelines after every: timeout, 1st down, turnover, kickoff, punt return, kick return, field goal, challenge, sack, and injury. Seriously, they showed more of Ray f_cking Lewis on his teams sidelines than they did the actual Bengals/Ravens game. Please, Ray, please play. I can't stand the sight of your murdering face.