PDA

View Full Version : USA vs Itlay

Blitzburgh55
06-17-2006, 03:30 PM
it 1-1 right now a guy from italy just got thorw out for nailing this guy in the face and the US it bleeding all over his face I dont like soccer but this game is pretty entering

Livinginthe past
06-17-2006, 03:40 PM
Yeah props to USA - they were written off by just about everyone (including myself) for this game after their terrible 1st game against the Czech Republic.

They have started with real purpose - im pulling for the guys in the white.

Oh that was a horrible piece of foul play by the Italian - im glad he was sent off.

U.S.A .......U.S.A........U.S.A.........

NM

Petesburgh66
06-17-2006, 03:46 PM
Good, both sides are 10 aside.

Go Italy. Like I have a choice.

83-Steelers-43
06-17-2006, 04:07 PM
These refs are shady............to be expected though.

Livinginthe past
06-17-2006, 04:11 PM
USA has been real naive in this contest.

They have failed to understand the types of fouls that the referees have been expressly told to clamp down on - diving in with two feet is not accepted anymore.

Now its 10 v 9 and the USA are heading home.

Its a shame for while there I really thought they had a chnace of an upset.

NM

83-Steelers-43
06-17-2006, 04:13 PM
The announcers are even complaining about the refs....lol. Oh well. Like I said, it's to be expected in this event. As long as England, Saudi Arabia, Iran or Mexico do not win, I'll be content.

83-Steelers-43
06-17-2006, 04:51 PM
After the game, Giorgio Chinaglia even stated we got screwed by the refs.....lol.

Anyways, we tied Italy 1-1. Not bad.

Now we need to beat Ghana and we need Italy to beat the CR.

Livinginthe past
06-17-2006, 05:02 PM
Its funny how people can take such an interest in things that they would use as a sleeping aid.

Funny old world.......

NM

83-Steelers-43
06-17-2006, 05:03 PM
Well, as I stated in another thread............I watch some of the WC when I can (only US games though). Actually read before you open your mouth.

83-Steelers-43
06-17-2006, 05:06 PM
I dont like soccer but this game is pretty entering

I'm in the same boat brother. Wow, I'm not the only one....lol.

Livinginthe past
06-17-2006, 05:07 PM
I came away from each game with the realization that watching soccer is an excellent sleeping aid.

Let's kick the ball back and forth for four hours. Every once in a while there will be a shot on net and if your really lucky a goal will occur.

You can also watch actors, whoops! I mean athletes fall to the ground in agony as if they were shot by a high-powered rifle after getting grazed by an opposing player. Just not my cup of tea.

Backtrack...backtrack.....oooops.

When do soccer games last for 4 hours...im guessing you are quite the expert.

NM

83-Steelers-43
06-17-2006, 05:09 PM
Backtrack...backtrack.....oooops.

NM

Personally, I don't see why it's any of your business to begin with, but since you seem so interested in my TV viewing habits I'll explain it to you Nigel...lol.

Once again, I stated in another thread that I watch some of the WC. I'm not a soccer fan and I do find it boring, but it's the WC and if I'm home and a USA game happens to be on, I will watch.

tony hipchest
06-17-2006, 05:11 PM
well usa and italy is at the halftime break, where im at, with the score still 1-1. im hoping the next half produces a usa score :dang:

Livinginthe past
06-17-2006, 05:11 PM
Obviously you arent watching close enough to realise that games dont last 4 hours.

Im all for new converts to the sport - but try and pay attention.

NM

83-Steelers-43
06-17-2006, 05:12 PM
Obviously you arent watching close enough to realise that games dont last 4 hours.

Im all for new converts to the sport - but try and pay attention.

NM

It's called exaggeration. It just feels like four hours to me. It's great to hear that your all for new converts, not that I really give a shit or recall asking.

83-Steelers-43
06-17-2006, 05:13 PM
well usa and italy is at the halftime break, where im at, with the score still 1-1. im hoping the next half produces a usa score :dang:

Whoops...lol. Sorry TH. Didn't mean to ruin it for ya'....:smile:

Livinginthe past
06-17-2006, 05:15 PM
It's called exaggeration. It just feels like four hours to me. It's great to hear that your all for new converts, not that I really give a shit or recall asking.

No need to get defensive. I shall bear in mind your leanings towards exaggeration in future..and no you didnt ask me to do that...I just thought I would.

NM

tony hipchest
06-17-2006, 05:17 PM
Whoops...lol. Sorry TH. Didn't mean to ruin it for ya'....:smile:no sweat. busch series qualifying is coming on so i can always watch THAT. :sofunny:

(i was kinda wondering why everyone in this thread was saying the game was over prematurely with a full half still to go!)

83-Steelers-43
06-17-2006, 05:17 PM
Well Nigel, as you already know....I don't like you and you made it very clear that you don't like me. I don't bother responding to your posts because I don't like you. I have absolutely no problem with anybody else on this site except you. So it's not that I'm getting defensive, I just don't like you...................................at all.

You take care.

83-Steelers-43
06-17-2006, 05:19 PM
no sweat. busch series qualifying is coming on so i can always watch THAT. :sofunny:

(i was kinda wondering why everyone in this thread was saying the game was over prematurely with a full half still to go!)

Not to take this thread off on a NASCAR topic, but I always wondered TH, who do you pull for in NASCAR?

Livinginthe past
06-17-2006, 05:23 PM
Well Nigel, as you already know....I don't like you and you made it very clear that you don't like me. I don't bother responding to your posts because I don't like you. I have absolutely no problem with anybody else on this site except you. So it's not that I'm getting defensive, I just don't like you...................................at all.

You take care.

Well despite your obvious dislike for me - you have just spent quite a bit of time responding to me.

Bet you wish I bit on your dumb anti-England/UK comments as easy.

You take care too. :sofunny:

NM

tony hipchest
06-17-2006, 05:25 PM
Not to take this thread off on a NASCAR topic, but I always wondered TH, who do you full for in NASCAR?

rusty wallace. but since he retired last year i still have to pull for his car (despite kurt bush the driver). and his old team mate ryan newman. i like matt kenseth cause he drives the only black and yellow car in the field, and junior is a cool assed dude. next year rusty's son steven will become a full time driver in rusty's #64 busch series car (nascars AAA series) and i will officially have a new driver.

all in all i just pull for a good race and gordon or jimmie johnson not to win.

83-Steelers-43
06-17-2006, 05:26 PM
Well despite your obvious dislike for me - you have just spent quite a bit of time responding to me.

Bet you wish I bit on your dumb anti-England/UK comments as easy.

You take care too. :sofunny:

NM

Well, since you directed a post in my direction, I figured I would respond. Normally when people direct comments in my direction, I tend to respond.

Anti-England/UK comments? I just stated I did not want to see them win...along with Iran, Mexico or Saudi Arabia. Did that hurt your feelings Nigel? I would rather see Italy win.

Hold on, I have to put one of those "so funny" icons at the end........:sofunny:

There we go. Now skip along Nigel and let's go back to ignoring each other. It was working beautifully.

83-Steelers-43
06-17-2006, 05:28 PM
rusty wallace. but since he retired last year i still have to pull for his car (despite kurt bush the driver). and his old team mate ryan newman. i like matt kenseth cause he drives the only black and yellow car in the field, and junior is a cool assed dude. next year rusty's son steven will become a full time driver in rusty's #64 busch series car (nascars AAA series) and i will officially have a new driver.

all in all i just pull for a good race and gordon or jimmie johnson not to win.

Cool. Well good luck to the guys you want to win brother and I also hope you guys see a good race. Enjoy!

Livinginthe past
06-17-2006, 05:59 PM
Well, since you directed a post in my direction, I figured I would respond. Normally when people direct comments in my direction, I tend to respond.

Anti-England/UK comments? I just stated I did not want to see them win...along with Iran, Mexico or Saudi Arabia. Did that hurt your feelings Nigel? I would rather see Italy win.

Hold on, I have to put one of those "so funny" icons at the end........:sofunny:

There we go. Now skip along Nigel and let's go back to ignoring each other. It was working beautifully.

Lets stick to facts - I made a comment about people who post about soccer - when it apparently bores them to sleep - it wasn't addressed to you.

Well no more, than your lame comments regarding the UK and England - you do know im the only person from England here right....so lets stop playing games, it just makes you seem even more childish that you are claiming ignorance to it.

Oh, and the reason I dont like you?

Your idiotic race-hate filled monologue that you felt the need to PM me.

D1ck head.

NM

83-Steelers-43
06-17-2006, 06:02 PM
So what does you being from England have to do with who I want to win the World Cup? Do you have relatives in Saudi Arabia, Iran and Mexico also? Nigel, get a grip.

Once again, I don't recall asking you why you don't like me. I don't care.

Pompous little bitch. Sip your tea, STFU and leave me alone unless you would rather take this in PM form instead of taking up board room with this nonsense.

Livinginthe past
06-17-2006, 06:05 PM
So what does you being from England have to do with who I want to win the World Cup? Do you have relatives in Saudi Arabia, Iran and Mexico also? Nigel, get a grip.

Once again, I don't recall asking you why you don't like me. I don't care.

Pompous little bitch. Sip your tea, STFU and leave me alone.

Ok ill leave you alone.

NM

tony hipchest
06-17-2006, 06:31 PM
i prefer the above dialogue on the open forums vs. PM :cool:.

and we do have several steelerfans who post from england. i believe britishsteel (?) is one
and ive noted one or 2 others, although i dont pay much attention to where people are from, by whats put under their avitars.

Hawk Believer
06-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Back to the game though....

Didn't those ejections seem a bit excessive? I am far from a FIFA expert but it did seem like we got a little screwed. Do any of the affcianados agree or am I just promulgating stereotypes about Seattle sports fans?

83-Steelers-43
06-17-2006, 08:53 PM

Didn't those ejections seem a bit excessive? I am far from a FIFA expert but it did seem like we got a little screwed. Do any of the affcianados agree or am I just promulgating stereotypes about Seattle sports fans?

I'm with you. With the exception of playing the game in my younger ages, I don't claim to be an expert. The calls against us seemed very excessive and going by the "experts" calling the game (Italian and American) they both agreed that the calls against the USA were just a tad bit shady.

Livinginthe past
06-18-2006, 12:05 AM

Every World Cup for the last 20 years or so, FIFA has pre-warned teams and referees that it will be re-emphasising punishment of certain aspects of foul play.

This year - it is time wasting of any description, and lunging tackles with the studs showing.

We have seen countless bookings for players who leap into tackles in a 'reckless manner' already this tournament.

I will certainly agree, that in general terms the sendings off (expulsions) were harsh - but you should factor in that they were examples of the type of play that FIFA s trying to outlaw.

There was no need for the 1st guy to make such a challenge in the area of the pitch he did - once a referee has reached fo the red card once - you can bet he is on the look out for signs of retribution.

Like I say, it was a real shame - it would be good for the game if the USA and one or two of the African teams made it deep into the knockout phase of this tournament.

NM

Hawk Believer
06-18-2006, 12:55 AM
Does FIFA make a public statement about what they are emphasizing? Or is it all done behind closed doors like most US leagues do?

The US commentators suggested that the Uruguain ref who made most of the calls may not be given the chance to officiate another game in this tournament. It will be interesting to find out if that is the case.

Livinginthe past
06-18-2006, 06:03 AM
Does FIFA make a public statement about what they are emphasizing? Or is it all done behind closed doors like most US leagues do?

The US commentators suggested that the Uruguain ref who made most of the calls may not be given the chance to officiate another game in this tournament. It will be interesting to find out if that is the case.

You know im not 100% sure there is an actual announcement.

I will check on the FIFA website when I get home from work (yes I have to work Sundays!) - all I know is, that the commentators and the pundits are aware of the emphasis placed on certain elements they would like to eliminate from the game.

The re-emphasis of the 5 yard contact rule on DB's was announced publicly wasn't it?

As far as the ref goes, I have to say that most of the pundits this side of the ocean think , while it was unfortunate that USA lost 2 players, that the guy got all the 3 red cards right.

I don't see FIFA officially reprimanding him in any way or taking game away from him - to be honest I do not know how big the official panel of referees is, and how many games they get each anyway.

NM

83-Steelers-43
06-18-2006, 08:44 AM
Wow, Ghana beat the CR. We might have our hands full against these guys.

Also for what it's worth..........the ref we had in yesterday's game (Jorge Larrionda) was suspended for six months in the past for corruption. No!!! That can't be!!! :rolleyes:

SteelerDan43
06-18-2006, 09:03 PM
You want corruption look no further than the team we played, Italy and the Italian league are always the ones you see with the scandels happening. As far as the Pablo tackle at the end of the first half, I though it would be yellow and it deserved to be as it was a two foot strong tackle but..... It seemed like it was awful quick to pull the red out. Maybey he should of waited for a second and confered with the other refs and then decided. That quick judgement made me really feel it was a makeup red card. We did really look like a different team all together. We need to ride that high into thursday. These African teams are so up and down you dont know what team your gonna face, for our sake we need the 2-0 loss Ghana versus 2-0 win Ghana. Then pray for Italy as much as I dont like everything about the team

Petesburgh66
06-20-2006, 12:19 AM
USA has been real naive in this contest.

They have failed to understand the types of fouls that the referees have been expressly told to clamp down on - diving in with two feet is not accepted anymore.NM

And this was what really killed the flow of the game for me. There was too many free kicks as a result.

USA was lucky to get a tie in the end due to the stupid own goal. The Italians prove again when they really need a goal, they can't generate it.

Livinginthe past
06-20-2006, 09:28 AM
And this was what really killed the flow of the game for me. There was too many free kicks as a result.

USA was lucky to get a tie in the end due to the stupid own goal. The Italians prove again when they really need a goal, they can't generate it.

Personally I thought the USA had an excellent game in general - lack of discipline and naivety let them down.

Italy are supposed to be an attacking force this year, but they are finding it difficult to get away from the negative defensive game that comes naturally to them.

Which is a shame - Italy has had some of the most talented attacking players in the world over the last 10 years, but they rarely take advantage of them - happy to get a 1 goal lead and then defend it.

NM