PDA

View Full Version : Legusky to replace Kemoeatu at LG

tony hipchest
11-23-2011, 02:23 PM
we dont have back ups... just starters in waiting-

http://pit.scout.com/2/1131940.html

PITTSBURGH – Because of injuries, the Steelers have used six different starting combinations on their offensive line this season.
They’ll use a seventh combination Sunday night in Kansas City, where Doug Legursky will replace Chris Kemoeatu at left guard. This time, injuries have nothing to do with the move.

Legursky will replace Kemoeatu – a starter the last four seasons,
because of performance issues, according to two sources with the team.

in other replacement news mcclendon has passed hoke as hamptons back up according to tomlin. kinda shocking considering how well hoke has played in reserve in the past. im thinking hamptons replacement is already on the roster.

Fire Arians
11-23-2011, 03:03 PM
interesting.

they are probably looking to the future with mclendon. hoke has been very good and is still playing at a high level imo. problem is he's old and probably won't be playing for much longer.

legursky replacing kemo makes sense in our pass-first offense. kemo is a better run blocker but in the pass blocking he's a liability. I actually was thinking a few weeks back that maybe we should replace kemo with doug because of our team starting to lean on the aerial attack these days. kemo's never been able to read stunts and blitzes very well, and at this point in his career, if he's still struggling with it, he won't ever get it.

and with ben hurt, they probably want the best pass blockers they got in there.

BengalDestroyer
11-23-2011, 03:25 PM
Legursky for Kemo good move
McClendon, Hampton, and Hoke should all share equal time (in a perfect world, or given the right circumstances throughout a game.)

Steelerfreak58
11-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Wow some shaking up of the roster... we shall see if its a good move...

Steel_Bus_24
11-23-2011, 03:40 PM
hmm I dunno

Im as tired as everybody else is with Kemo's bone headed-ness, but Legursky was awful early in the year

ricardisimo
11-23-2011, 03:54 PM
I don't know about awful, but he did get pushed around a few games. His last start before his injury he was great, and Mendy ran at will behind him. I wonder if we'll start running left a bit. You know... once or twice a game, just to mix it up. :noidea:

truesteelerfan
11-23-2011, 04:47 PM
I'm not sure about the move just yet, but I do like it that Tomlin is showing that you have to perform to keep your spot...Keeps people from being lazy.

skinart82
11-23-2011, 05:02 PM
If anything there will be less 15 yard penalties for being an idiot

StainlessStill
11-23-2011, 05:04 PM
Good to see a Steelers head coach be active for once. So many years, no matter the performance of some awful players (Brent Alexander, Chad Scott, Dewayne Washington, etc) those players never seemed to get demoted due to their veteran presence. Now, Tomlin is making changes and I love it, especially watching Kemo play the most lazy football I've ever seen him play. Dude lacks in every category this season including laziness and being an absolute dumb player (personal fouls.) Good call on Tomlin. Hopefully we will ride this line out.

NoFieldFive
11-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Kemo's haircut alone should land him a seat on the bench

steelerchad
11-23-2011, 05:29 PM
probably a good move. Kemo doesn't seem to be getting it done and his stupid, over zealous penalties could hurt us in a close playoff game.

Happy, hearing about McLendon. Would be nice to not have to use a high pick for Hampton's spot in next year's draft as we've addressed both DE's in the last 2.

Fire Arians
11-23-2011, 05:58 PM
probably a good move. Kemo doesn't seem to be getting it done and his stupid, over zealous penalties could hurt us in a close playoff game.

Happy, hearing about McLendon. Would be nice to not have to use a high pick for Hampton's spot in next year's draft as we've addressed both DE's in the last 2.

you can usually find a good run-stuffing NT in rds 3 & 4, they generally don't go very high.

probably will go MLB in rd 1 or 2, I think that's our biggest need for the immediate future. Would also like to see a high pick at safety, I wish we went after robert sands in the draft.

ricardisimo
11-23-2011, 06:06 PM
you can usually find a good run-stuffing NT in rds 3 & 4, they generally don't go very high.

probably will go MLB in rd 1 or 2, I think that's our biggest need for the immediate future. Would also like to see a high pick at safety, I wish we went after robert sands in the draft.
Really? I'm still thing O-line the first two rounds. Guard (which is ideal when you're picking last in the first round :wink02:) and then a tackle.

DanRooney
11-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Really? I'm still thing O-line the first two rounds. Guard (which is ideal when you're picking last in the first round :wink02:) and then a tackle.

Why do we need a tackle for? We just signed the wrong one to a long term extension and drafted Gilbert last year.

Dont'a Hightower, ILB from Alabama is our pick if the Ravens don't snatch him up. Farrior is gone after this season. We'll probably pick a guard in the 2nd. There's no real first first round worthy safety in this draft.

rich4eagle
11-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Bingp Kemo another useless OL guy gets replaced by a FA......................more evidence that OL is a dime a dozen

ricardisimo
11-23-2011, 06:37 PM
Why do we need a tackle for? We just signed the wrong one to a long term extension and drafted Gilbert last year.

Dont'a Hightower, ILB from Alabama is our pick if the Ravens don't snatch him up. Farrior is gone after this season. We'll probably pick a guard in the 2nd. There's no real first first round worthy safety in this draft.
For the same reason we drafted DBs even after acquiring/resigning the likes of McFadden and Gay.
Bingp Kemo another useless OL guy gets replaced by a FA......................more evidence that OL is a dime a dozen
Not sure about that dime-a-dozen theory. The really good O-lines are stocked with early round picks. No getting around that.

Steelersfan87
11-23-2011, 06:49 PM
I'm not so certain that this hasn't been the plan almost all season. Legursky only stopped starting because he was injured. Now that he's healthy, he's ready to start again.

austinfrench76
11-23-2011, 07:07 PM
IMO Legs seems smarter that Kemo. Not just that he doesn't have the bone head penalties but that he seems to see AND pick up blitzes in pass blocking. The problem I have noticed is that Kemo just wants to hit, and I mean HIT, the man in front of him ie. he is a good run blocker but doesn't seem to like the "thinking" side of the game. Kemo is nasty but Legs is smarter. just my opinion and Mclendon is awesome!!!

Steeldude
11-23-2011, 07:34 PM

in other replacement news mcclendon has passed hoke as hamptons back up according to tomlin. kinda shocking considering how well hoke has played in reserve in the past. im thinking hamptons replacement is already on the roster.

that is shocking because hoke plays better than hampton

LVSteelersfan
11-23-2011, 08:40 PM
I am not sure Legursky is the answer but I am happy that Tomlin finally got ticked off by Kemo's stupidity and piling into the pile late. I like his bulk but not his lack of smarts. Hopefully with Starks and Legursky over there they can keep Ben upright without having a stupid penalty on 2nd down every time. Seems like we get to 2nd and 4 and always end up with 2nd and 14. That can't happen regularly for a good team.

steelerchad
11-23-2011, 08:50 PM

I guess, but Hampton was a first rounder and both of our outside guys are recent first rounders. I agree though, Farrior is done and we have to find his replacement. I almost think we'd be better off letting Woodley and Timmons handle the outside and restocking our ILB spots. I think Harrison is gone next year.

StainlessStill
11-23-2011, 09:29 PM
Harrison will play one more year with us after this season. He's one of the most dominating players in the league, even with back surgeries. He said he will play until his contract is up then he's done. He will finish. Too dominating of a player to let him go. No way he'll be out of a Steelers uniform next season.

DanRooney
11-23-2011, 11:03 PM
Harrison is still playing at a very high level. Arguably the best at his position. There's no way we'd let him go. I think he'll play at least 2 more years.

We need Timmons to stay inside. He didn't have much of an impact moving outside.

Fire Arians
11-23-2011, 11:29 PM
I guess, but Hampton was a first rounder and both of our outside guys are recent first rounders. I agree though, Farrior is done and we have to find his replacement. I almost think we'd be better off letting Woodley and Timmons handle the outside and restocking our ILB spots. I think Harrison is gone next year.

Harrison has more than 1 year left in him, he still has that ability to dominate. I don't think he's gone next year

ricardisimo
11-23-2011, 11:31 PM
Harrison is still playing at a very high level. Arguably the best at his position. There's no way we'd let him go. I think he'll play at least 2 more years.

We need Timmons to stay inside. He didn't have much of an impact moving outside.

That's putting it mildly.

jtbsteeler
11-24-2011, 02:31 AM
This move should remove all doubt who the better coach is. Mike Tomlin is a better coach than Bill Cowher. Cowher time and time again let underachieving veterans keep a stranglehold on positions.

Inside LB and Guard will be our first and second round picks next year.

Tomlin can smell the #1 seed and he is moving forward to get it. I think B'more loses at least two more games. And the Steelers maybe 1. The problem is NE...

MasterOfPuppets
11-24-2011, 02:31 AM
That's putting it mildly.
this post is calamitous. support the team. go steelers

MasterOfPuppets
11-24-2011, 02:43 AM
i'd say the writing is on the wall for kemo , ward , farrior , fat snack , smith , foote

these 6 guys ate up about 27 million in cap space this year.

Aussie Steeler
11-24-2011, 04:28 AM
i'd say the writing is on the wall for kemo , ward , farrior , fat snack , smith , foote

We'll keep Kemo we don't have depth at the guard position. Ward will stay at least another year or until our next SB victory :) Farrior and Foote - we keep one and not both. Most likely Farrior. And Smith's definitely out.

bornaSteelersfan
11-24-2011, 06:07 AM
We're definitely going to let some of these vets go because we need to come up with around $10 million per year in cap room to keep Wallace after this season. The team may also want to keep other players whose contracts are up as well (Redman, Legursky, Hoke, K. Lewis, Cotchery, Sepulveda, and Gay-as well as any and/or all back-up QB's). If we let A. Smith go, and cut Battle and Farrior or Foote, we might have enough for Wallace.

Whodis
11-24-2011, 06:58 AM

This one here is puzzling to me. To be honest Im surprised Hampton hasn't seen less playing time. It feels like the last 3 or more years he has showed up more out of shape the usual, often injured and it doesn't look as if he's double teamed.

theplatypus
11-24-2011, 08:18 AM
This one here is puzzling to me. To be honest Im surprised Hampton hasn't seen less playing time. It feels like the last 3 or more years he has showed up more out of shape the usual, often injured and it doesn't look as if he's double teamed.

I guess you've already forgotten about all of those cut blocks on Hampton.

mesaSteeler
11-24-2011, 09:33 AM
Another veteran Steelers starter loses job
Thursday, November 24, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Christian Petersen/Getty Images
Chris Kemoeatu -- A demotion and an explanation

There has been no bluff by coach Mike Tomlin this time, only determined action. Without warning, the Steelers coach has demoted four long-time veterans over the course of the season, the latest guard Chris Kemoeatu.

Doug Legursky will start at left guard Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs, the second such lineup change on offense in two games. Hines Ward, one of the biggest stars in franchise history, lost the starting job at wide receiver he held since 1999 in Cincinnati Nov. 13.

Along the way, two other veterans were demoted in favor of younger players, starting cornerback Bryant McFadden and longtime backup nose tackle Chris Hoke.

The four changes mark a notable difference from how Tomlin stayed with his lineup through a five-game losing streak in 2009. Even after he threatened changes before a Dec. 10 loss in Cleveland, they never came.
Sunday

"We're analyzing all aspects of what we're doing here," Tomlin said back then, "specifically this week, and are going to be aggressive in terms of looking at potential changes in not only what we do schematically, but who we have do it in all three phases."

He made no promises this year, but the lineup changes have come this time.

Unlike Ward, Kemoeatu said he was informed of the change and told why.

"They kind of talked to me about it today," said Kemoeatu, who was in his fourth season as their starting left guard. "I haven't been playing well enough, I guess.

"I feel like I've had some bad games. I didn't think they were bad enough to probably get demoted, but it is what it is."

Kemoeatu, a sixth-round draft pick in '05, is the team's highest-paid offensive lineman. He signed a five-year, $20 million contract in '09.

Legursky, an undrafted rookie signed in '07, started the first three games at right guard this season but missed the fourth game with a shoulder injury. He started the next two games at left guard because Kemoeatu had a knee injury. A dislocated toe knocked Legursky out of action for three games, and Kemoeatu returned to health and his starting job.

This time, no injuries were involved. Ramon Foster long ago nailed down the starting right-guard spot he held all last season and has been playing well.

"You'll have to ask the coach about the specifics of the whole situation," said Legursky. "I got a lot of practice in today, and it felt good to get back on the field and test the toe out a little bit."

The change comes after the offensive line had reached a more stable state with the same five players starting the past four games after going through the first seven games with seven distinctly different lineups.

"We've all settled down and have a better knowledge and better chemistry as a whole front to be able to communicate more cleanly," tackle Max Starks was explaining about the importance of having continuity in the line.

Inserting Legursky at left guard, however, is not seen as a disruption of that continuity because he has played so often. He started four games at guard in 2010 and then the Super Bowl at center.

A not so subtle message

Bruce Arians talked to his offense about setting aside their goals for individual stats and Pro Bowls to focus on team goals and the Super Bowl.

That's what Ben Roethlisberger said his coordinator told them before practice Wednesday.

"For this team, for all of us, there's a lot of great players who have opportunities to put up big numbers, stats, and things like that," Roethlisberger said. "But, as coach touched on today, for us to be a true Super Bowl contender, he wants to put their own personal goals, Pro Bowl things and things like that on the back shelf for the betterment of the team ...

"Coach said if you're a team that's not doing very good record-wise and you're not a Super Bowl contender, then you're fighting for Pro Bowl. For a team that's a Super Bowl contender, you shouldn't really care about the Pro Bowl, it should be more about Super Bowls.

"I think we have a locker room full of guys who care just about Super Bowls, and that's what's most important, sacrificing whatever it might be for the betterment of the team."

Was that necessary?

"No, but I think it's good for our offense to hear it because we have a lot of young guys, guys who can put up huge numbers," Roethlisberger said. "If they're starting to double guys like Mike Wallace, who is on pace for unbelievable numbers, he shouldn't get frustrated for the simple fact that if we're winning games that's all that matters. Same thing for Antonio Brown and what he's done the past couple weeks."

Those two might have been the target of the message. Wallace is the No. 2 receiver in the AFC with 922 yards and Brown is ninth with 626 yards.

Wallace said he is more concerned about team goals, not that individual honors aren't nice side effects.

"It's true. You have to forget it," Wallace said. "But don't ever get it twisted for a second that we don't want to go to those places, we definitely want to get to those places. But it's all about the team, really. That's where we're trying to get, we remember that feeling last year and we still have that on our minds. So, we need to get back to the Super Bowl, and you have to put all of that other stuff on the side.

"As a player, you want to be the best you can be, but, as long as you handle the business for your team, I think you'll get where you need to go as well as where the team needs to go."

Other wide receivers around the league have thrown fits if they do not see passes as often as they believe they should.

"I've never been a fit-thrower type of guy," Wallace said.
The Ravens watch

For the second time in five days, the Steelers will have a chance to sit back and root for the Baltimore Ravens to lose.

The Ravens play tonight at home against the San Francisco 49ers, who, at 9-1, could be the biggest threat left on the Ravens' schedule. The Steelers need the Ravens to lose at least one of their final six games to have a shot at winning the AFC North Division.

The Steelers and Baltimore are tied at 7-3, but the Ravens hold the tiebreaker after sweeping the season series.

"Of course, we're all going to be paying attention," Roethlisberger said.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11328/1192223-66.stm#ixzz1edKTYrKa

DanRooney
11-24-2011, 09:41 AM
Dump that fat lard Kemoeatu next year and use the money to sign Starks to a deal. Draft a guard in the first round and we're set up front.

Steelerindc
11-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Honestly when Hampton was out with an injury I thought the defense started to play better. Since Hampton has been in the lineup I see him get pushed all around the field.

I noticed that Hoke was getting push into the back field and McClendon. I think Hampton should be sent to the bench.

Whodis
11-24-2011, 10:11 AM
I guess you've already forgotten about all of those cut blocks on Hampton.

the cut blocks are why he was on the pup list? I don't dislike Hampton... just surprised he doesn't see less playing time

theplatypus
11-24-2011, 11:26 AM
the cut blocks are why he was on the pup list? I don't dislike Hampton... just surprised he doesn't see less playing time

How many times has he been on the PUP list? I'm pretty sure it was once 3 years ago.

Steelers NT Casey Hampton might be in his best shape in several years, observers tell ESPN's Len Pasquarelli.
Hampton often shows up to camp overweight, but it shouldn't be a surprise that he's working out hard this offseason. Hampton signed a new contract in February that included a $1 million weight clause. The Steelers should get the best out of their veteran nose tackle this season.

http://www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/645/casey-hampton

OX1947
11-24-2011, 12:29 PM
Good move, need to let Kemo go after the year is over.

Steelerfreak58
11-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Good messages sent by Tomlin this year. If you are not performing well you will sit even if you are a vet. Hampton may be next.

ricardisimo
11-24-2011, 01:56 PM

Snack's not going anywhere. Support all Steelers!! Or most of them, anyway. :noidea:

Whodis
11-24-2011, 03:54 PM
How many times has he been on the PUP list? I'm pretty sure it was once 3 years ago.

Was it 3 years ago? I mean really, are you trying to say he takes up 2 blockers? Are you agreeing with the quote of "best shape"?

Im stating that he's far from the Casey Hampton of past seasons. I don't think they lose a step when he's replaced (as Keisel and A Smith before Hood). I hope Im wrong and he comes off the bye week and tears it up.

theplatypus
11-24-2011, 04:11 PM
Was it 3 years ago? I mean really, are you trying to say he takes up 2 blockers? Are you agreeing with the quote of "best shape"?

Im stating that he's far from the Casey Hampton of past seasons. I don't think they lose a step when he's replaced (as Keisel and A Smith before Hood). I hope Im wrong and he comes off the bye week and tears it up.

I'm saying that the people that watch these guys up close and personal have a far better gauge of physical conditioning than anyone doing so from the comfort of their living room. And despite your observations he's still drawing double teams.

rich4eagle
11-24-2011, 06:09 PM
Dump that fat lard Kemoeatu next year and use the money to sign Starks to a deal. Draft a guard in the first round and we're set up front.

Never draft an OL guy wth first pick unless it is in the 30's

rich4eagle
11-24-2011, 06:13 PM
For the same reason we drafted DBs even after acquiring/resigning the likes of McFadden and Gay.

Not sure about that dime-a-dozen theory. The really good O-lines are stocked with early round picks. No getting around that.

really, which really good Olines stocked with early round picks ever won a super bowl with early round players playing in the super bowl

you will find a lot of teams won super bowls with multiple FA ol guys

drinking the cool aid about the OL is popular

I quit drinking that stench years ago:tt:

Fire Arians
11-24-2011, 06:45 PM
Never draft an OL guy wth first pick unless it is in the 30's

so i suppose picking pouncey was a bad pick at #18? :noidea:

ricardisimo
11-24-2011, 11:23 PM
really, which really good Olines stocked with early round picks ever won a super bowl with early round players playing in the super bowl

you will find a lot of teams won super bowls with multiple FA ol guys

drinking the cool aid about the OL is popular

I quit drinking that stench years ago:tt:
A long, loooong time ago - ancient history really - the Green Bay Packers beat the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Super Bowl with a 1st rounder and two 2nd rounders anchoring their line. But you're right... who wants to prioritize the very foundation of offensive football? How boring can you get?

SunshineMan21
11-25-2011, 01:02 AM
Good move--Kemo is a decent run blocker but a horrific pass blocker, while Legursky is much better in pass protection.

And to whoever asked, yes, Hampton still gets double-teamed every play.

MasterOfPuppets
11-25-2011, 02:22 PM
We'll keep Kemo we don't have depth at the guard position. Ward will stay at least another year or until our next SB victory :) Farrior and Foote - we keep one and not both. Most likely Farrior. And Smith's definitely out.
2012 cap charge....
hampton - 8.056
kemo - 5.261
ward - 4.610
farrior - 3.825
foote - 3.600

theplatypus
11-25-2011, 02:36 PM
2012 cap charge....
hampton - 8.056
kemo - 5.261
ward - 4.610
farrior - 3.825
foote - 3.600

No way Ward is back next year, 4.6million for a #5 WR isn't going to happen. I love Hines, but that money needs to go to Wallace.

mesaSteeler
11-25-2011, 05:00 PM
A long, loooong time ago - ancient history really - the Green Bay Packers beat the Pittsburgh Steelers in the Super Bowl with a 1st rounder and two 2nd rounders anchoring their line. But you're right... who wants to prioritize the very foundation of offensive football? How boring can you get?

:applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::applaudit::appla udit::applaudit:

rich4eagle
11-25-2011, 05:41 PM
so i suppose picking pouncey was a bad pick at #18? :noidea:

you seem to forget the Steelers had all those great WR's in camp and all those great LB's and all those great DB's and four deep at RB

Pouncey was the correct choice for a team that gets it........................obviously your remain part of the clueless full of cool aid and brain dead:tt04:

when you have great management and know how to draft sometimes a center is very important, but I am sure you have no clue why

ricardisimo
11-25-2011, 05:55 PM
you seem to forget the Steelers had all those great WR's in camp and all those great LB's and all those great DB's and four deep at RB

Pouncey was the correct choice for a team that gets it........................obviously your remain part of the clueless full of cool aid and brain dead:tt04:

when you have great management and know how to draft sometimes a center is very important, but I am sure you have no clue why
Uh... tone it down, dude. We're all friends here.

Fire Arians
11-25-2011, 06:14 PM

that just made no sense at all, i asked you if pouncey was a bad pick at 18 because you said never draft OL unless it's pick 30's?

i'd say drafting a center is important when you're giving up majority of your sacks to interior blitzes, and your starting center from last year led all NFL linemen in sacks allowed (hartwig)

Fire Arians
11-25-2011, 06:15 PM

that just made no sense at all, i asked you if pouncey was a bad pick at 18 because you said never draft OL unless it's pick 30's?

i'd say drafting a center is important when you're giving up majority of your sacks to interior blitzes, and your starting center from last year led all NFL linemen in sacks allowed (hartwig)

i'm certainly glad you're not working for the steelers FO, you appear to know jack shit about drafting talent

BKAnthem
11-27-2011, 12:04 PM

:thumbsup: :applaudit: