PDA

View Full Version : Another Gatorade Bath, Honestly?

BleedPurple
11-25-2011, 12:32 AM
And this is coming from a Ravens fan. I found this one to be even more ridiculous. I know it is his brother, and a holiday game (and a great defensive battle), but come on, you just don't give gatorade baths for regular season wins. And this is the second time.

I'm stoked that we won, but I want to see some more poise from the sidelines. . .thoughts? :doh:

ricardisimo
11-25-2011, 01:02 AM
It didn't work out too well the last time, did it? I'd like to see your team do it more often, to tell you the truth. :wink02:

GMU Steeler
11-25-2011, 04:31 PM
Heh yeah it is lame. Be one thing I guess if John were Jim's younger brother and the rookie HC but it's the other way around. I don't get it honestly. You guys are a very good team. Consistently one of the better ones in the conference most years I'd say. Yet your players are acting like they've never been here before which is silly to me.. Not like you're the Bengals or Browns and have been bad but a team that's in the playoffs often than they're not. Honestly, I think gatorade baths should be reserved for something like a division clinching win, playoff win, or of course SB win.

SteelCityMom
11-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Yeah...I'm glad it's not just us that see's how ridiculous it is.

I halfway understood the one against the Steelers, though I still thought it was an extremely arrogant way to celebrate a mid-season win. This on the other hand is just outright silly and even more embarrassing than the first. It's like they don't even know what the Gatorade bath is supposed to symbolize.

Buddha Bus
11-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Maybe we should just be thankful they're taking baths at all? :hunch:

i82much
11-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Just a complete and total non-issue. It's a good sign, they are having fun. Why come here and talk trash about your team behind their back?

BleedPurple
11-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Just a complete and total non-issue. It's a good sign, they are having fun. Why come here and talk trash about your team behind their back?

Well, I posted about it on the Ravens forums but they seem to all agree with you it is a non-issue. I wanted the perspective of people who don't love the Ravens . . . Also, because that s**t is small-time and my team is way better than that.

Heh yeah it is lame. Be one thing I guess if John were Jim's younger brother and the rookie HC but it's the other way around. I don't get it honestly. You guys are a very good team. Consistently one of the better ones in the conference most years I'd say. Yet your players are acting like they've never been here before which is silly to me.. Not like you're the Bengals or Browns and have been bad but a team that's in the playoffs often than they're not. Honestly, I think gatorade baths should be reserved for something like a division clinching win, playoff win, or of course SB win.

Pretty much what I was saying at the bar on Thanksgiving. Hopefully this is just the younger players being younger players and having fun, and not a team mentality that will end up hurting our SB chances.

I halfway understood the one against the Steelers, though I still thought it was an extremely arrogant way to celebrate a mid-season win.

Yea but here's the thing--if those positions are reversed, Mike Tomlin is NOT getting a gatorade bath. I want to see the same discipline on our sidelines.

SteelCityMom
11-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Yea but here's the thing--if those positions are reversed, Mike Tomlin is NOT getting a gatorade bath. I want to see the same discipline on our sidelines.

Yup, that was kind of my basis for it as well. And I get that they are young, and had 2 very big reasons to celebrate...but my feeling has always been that if say the Steelers did that, and then lost in like the first or second round of the playoffs, I think I would be ticked about it.

This isn't college ball anymore.

i82much
11-27-2011, 01:53 PM
Well, I posted about it on the Ravens forums but they seem to all agree with you it is a non-issue. I wanted the perspective of people who don't love the Ravens . . . Also, because that s**t is small-time and my team is way better than that.

Um get over yourself?

tony hipchest
11-27-2011, 02:10 PM

if its a good sign of fun and a non-issue, how come you dont see every other team giving golden gatorade showers after every regular season win?

because its a bush league, high school act. it proves theyre more focused on individual accolades and style points.

but thats okay. when they miss the SB once again, it will be just a complete and total non-issue. nobody cares about them.

BleedPurple
11-27-2011, 03:19 PM
Um get over yourself?

What? lay off the booze before 5 buddy. You aren't making any sense.

ricardisimo
11-27-2011, 03:26 PM
You know, you can come here and talk down on the Steelers, that's fine... we're a tolerant bunch. But now you're talkin' smack about the booze!?!? It's on now! Well... it'll be on in a little while, after I finish my scotch. You stay put in the meantime. We'll show you what's what.
:alcohol:

i82much
11-27-2011, 03:56 PM
because its a bush league, high school act. it proves theyre more focused on individual accolades and style points.

Winning a football game is not an "individual accolade." This whole thread is just making a mountain out of a molehill.

i82much
11-27-2011, 04:02 PM

Sorry man. I read a few other posts from you and you seem reasonable. I personally don't like the idea of criticizing your team on another team's board and I disagree with you (the Gatorade thing is a really small deal IMHO) but I apologize for doing so disrespectfully.

tony hipchest
11-27-2011, 05:07 PM
Winning a football game is not an "individual accolade." .then why the ol gatorade and rubber ducky for the HC then?

ravenfans will be the only ones making a mountain out of a molehill once baltimore makes another early exit from the playoffs.

it wont suprise anyone else. bleedpurple has areason for concern.

mike tomlin would kick a player in the ass if they did that in anything other than the superbowl.

i82much
11-27-2011, 06:46 PM
then why the ol gatorade and rubber ducky for the HC then?

ravenfans will be the only ones making a mountain out of a molehill once baltimore makes another early exit from the playoffs.

it wont suprise anyone else. bleedpurple has areason for concern.

mike tomlin would kick a player in the ass if they did that in anything other than the superbowl.

I honestly just don't think you're capable of looking at things from a neutral, rational perspective. Honestly having read a few of your posts I think it is bizarre and a little unhealthy. Have a good night.

tony hipchest
11-27-2011, 07:59 PM
I honestly just don't think you're capable of looking at things from a neutral, rational perspective. Honestly having read a few of your posts I think it is bizarre and a little unhealthy. Have a good night.yeah, cause the ravens have a HUGE national following. i mean thousands of ravenfans have been transplanted across the world in the past 15 years. :rolleyes:

the fact that you cant see the constant gatorade baths for a prosessional team after ever minor moral victory as bush league shows it is you who are incapable of looking at things from a nuetral, rational perspective.

it is what it is... a bitch ass punk move.

fans of any other team would tell you as much. :coffee:

i82much
11-27-2011, 08:05 PM
yeah, cause the ravens have a HUGE national following. i mean thousands of ravenfans have been transplanted across the world in the past 15 years. :rolleyes:

the fact that you cant see the constant gatorade baths for a prosessional team after ever minor moral victory as bush league shows it is you who are incapable of looking at things from a nuetral, rational perspective.

it is what it is... a bitch ass punk move.

fans of any other team would tell you as much. :coffee:

Maybe, but at least I can spell can't, professional, every, and neutral. Yay for me.

BleedPurple
11-28-2011, 02:02 AM
Sorry man. I read a few other posts from you and you seem reasonable. I personally don't like the idea of criticizing your team on another team's board and I disagree with you (the Gatorade thing is a really small deal IMHO) but I apologize for doing so disrespectfully.

Small deal, maybe, but it sends the wrong message. Every week the coach says "we don't overlook these guys" or "one game at a time". The gatorade bath proves that either that is bullcrap, or the team is not on the same page as him, because apparently the second Pittsburgh win and the 49ers win meant more than the other 6.

By showing that much emotion at the end of those games, the perception becomes that we are fueled by emotion, and are an easier opponent against teams we do not 'hate' or have some connection to that runs deeper than a sporting event. This isn't true, but perception can be powerful--it can make teams like the Bengals, Browns, Colts, and Chargers play above their ability for what they feel is a team that is only 80% invested in the game, looking ahead to the next Steelers match-up. . .

EDIT: on your first point-- I brought it up with Ravens' fans first and they told me I was making a mountain from a molehill. I wanted to know if that was fanspeak, or if I was reading into too much, so I posted those same concerns here. I think the truth is somewhere between. The gatorade definitely raised a few eyebrows among sports commentators, but it probably won't lead to an early playoff loss.

i82much
11-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Small deal, maybe, but it sends the wrong message. Every week the coach says "we don't overlook these guys" or "one game at a time". The gatorade bath proves that either that is bullcrap, or the team is not on the same page as him, because apparently the second Pittsburgh win and the 49ers win meant more than the other 6.

By showing that much emotion at the end of those games, the perception becomes that we are fueled by emotion, and are an easier opponent against teams we do not 'hate' or have some connection to that runs deeper than a sporting event. This isn't true, but perception can be powerful--it can make teams like the Bengals, Browns, Colts, and Chargers play above their ability for what they feel is a team that is only 80% invested in the game, looking ahead to the next Steelers match-up. . .

EDIT: on your first point-- I brought it up with Ravens' fans first and they told me I was making a mountain from a molehill. I wanted to know if that was fanspeak, or if I was reading into too much, so I posted those same concerns here. I think the truth is somewhere between. The gatorade definitely raised a few eyebrows among sports commentators, but it probably won't lead to an early playoff loss.

I like the gatorade baths, I'd like to see it after every win. You used to get the sense there was some divide between the players and Harbaugh but I don't get that feeling at all now. To me they look like a loose group having a good time and that is a good thing.

ricardisimo
11-28-2011, 01:38 PM
The baths confirmed what a lot of Steelers fans suspected: that the games against the Steelers are the equivalent of Super Bowls for this team, or at least playoff games.

tony hipchest
11-28-2011, 05:03 PM
Maybe, but at least I can spell can't, professional, every, and neutral. Yay for me.:busted: yeah, but your editing skills suck. ( I have spell check too... dont use it or need it.)

stick with the bath salts, random posts on da internetz, and waving purple pompoms. :cheer: