PDA

View Full Version : Williams runs for 97 yards in opening win

Ohio Steeler
06-18-2006, 12:09 AM
TORONTO -- Ricky Williams needed a little time to get going in his CFL debut.
After gaining 8 yards in the first half, the former Dolphins running back finished with 97 yards on 18 carries in the Toronto Argonauts' 27-17 win over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on Saturday in the regular-season opener for both teams.

Spergon Wynn replaced injured quarterback Damon Allen after the third play of the game when Allen went down with a broken middle finger on his right hand. But Toronto stuck with its pass-first gameplan even though it had Williams in the backfield.

The Argos, especially in the first half, seemed content to use Williams as a decoy rather than a ball carrier. The former Heisman Trophy winner had three carries, and two catches for 24 yards in the half.

Williams was especially impressive in the fourth quarter, with Toronto protecting a 24-17 lead. He had 11 carries for 72 yards, including a 35-yard run after rookie Jermaine Mays' interception put the Argos at their 20-yard line.

"I think we saw what can happen with you [if] continue to stay with him," coach Mike (Pinball) Clemons said. "As the defense wears down, those tackles at the beginning of the game start to become arm tackles and he did a good job of running through those."

Williams is playing in the CFL after he was suspended by the NFL for one year after a fourth violation of the league's drug policy. He rushed for 53 yards on 15 carries in Toronto's two exhibition losses to Hamilton.

Hamilton coach Greg Marshall was unhappy when Toronto gave Williams the ball twice from the Ticats 6-yard line in the closing seconds, attempting to get him a touchdown and 100 yards rushing.

"Would you give it to your star back with 5 seconds left?" Marshall fumed. "It doesn't matter, our job is to defend and they can do what they want to do."

Williams shrugged off Marshall's comments.

"I think they just wanted to get me over 100 yards and get me a touchdown," he said. "They were just trying to make my debut just a little bit nicer."

"When you lose you find things to get [upset] about. Seriously, it's not a big deal. Who cares about 100 yards? We won, that's what's important."

Even though he played in the NFL, Williams isn't expecting to take the CFL by storm.

"I didn't come up here saying these guys are slower or aren't good players," he said. "I have respect for anyone who puts on a football uniform."

"This game is difficult and at any level of professional football you have to be an athlete. You guys might see me as a big football player from the NFL coming here but for me I approach my job more seriously here than I probably did in the NFL. You have to get yourself ready to play, regardless of who you're playing against."

klick81
06-18-2006, 03:02 PM
Good for him! I for one, wish him the best.

BlacknGold Bleeder
06-18-2006, 03:10 PM
One game doesn't make a season.. take away the 35 yards and it was a generic performance. We 'll have to wait and see how the rest of the season goes. he is basically audtioning for an attempt to come back to the Real football league.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-18-2006, 03:21 PM
And then after the game Ricky smoked a fat blunt to celebrate the win.

klick81
06-18-2006, 03:26 PM
And what's wrong with that??? Haha...jk. If he wants to play in the NFL, he better learn to play by the rules. If not, he can keep on smoking. Pretty simple.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-18-2006, 03:31 PM
And what's wrong with that??? Haha...jk. If he wants to play in the NFL, he better learn to play by the rules. If not, he can keep on smoking. Pretty simple.

I didn't say anything was wrong with that. As a former smoker myself I don't care if people do that or not. Just joking about the Ricky saga. But your right if he wants to play in the NFL again he would have to quit smoking the magic herb.

Livinginthe past
06-18-2006, 03:51 PM
One game doesn't make a season.. take away the 35 yards and it was a generic performance. We 'll have to wait and see how the rest of the season goes. he is basically audtioning for an attempt to come back to the Real football league.

How about we take away Willie's TD run in the SB?

That would leave him with a fairly generic performance too.

NM

83-Steelers-43
06-18-2006, 05:57 PM
Nice to hear dope head is doing fine in the CFL.

BBC
06-18-2006, 06:38 PM
How about we take away Willie's TD run in the SB?

That would leave him with a fairly generic performance too.

NM

It was a pretty generic performance. He broke a big run, that's what he does. That's what I'm expecting of him this upcoming season. Average games, but every once in a while he'll break a big one. That's all we need from him.

DIESELMAN
06-18-2006, 07:57 PM
I hope he knows even though hes in Canada the NFL is still watching him.....REAL CLOSE!!

Black@Gold Forever32
06-18-2006, 09:55 PM
I hope he knows even though hes in Canada the NFL is still watching him.....REAL CLOSE!!

Does Ricky care though the NFL is watching him? Ricky has always had that not care about anything attitude since his days as a Texas Longhorn.

DIESELMAN
06-19-2006, 05:45 AM
Hes got a chance of coming back to the NFL next season if he stays clean....He BETTER Care!!

Ohio Steeler
06-19-2006, 10:23 AM
Hes got a chance of coming back to the NFL next season if he stays clean....He BETTER Care!!

LOL ok like that will happen

Big D
06-19-2006, 11:10 AM
It was a pretty generic performance. He broke a big run, that's what he does. That's what I'm expecting of him this upcoming season. Average games, but every once in a while he'll break a big one. That's all we need from him.
I disagree.. I think we need a consistant running game.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-19-2006, 11:15 AM

I know bro. But thats the thing with Ricky he follows the beat to his own drum without a care in the world.

Big D
06-19-2006, 11:17 AM
the drug he tested positive for this time wasnt marijuana right?

Brady12
06-21-2006, 05:15 PM
I watched the game on CBC and he had probably 5 carries after 3 quarters for about 8 yards. He will wear down defenses in the CFL in the 4th quarter, and for when the Grey cup and playoffs roll around, that could be a scary threat if Ricky has not gone to a refuge or something.

Santonio4
06-21-2006, 06:07 PM
And then after the game Ricky smoked a fat blunt to celebrate the win.

You know thats true. Ricky should just run off to India where the Dolphins cant find him and practice Buddha or whatever he believes in.

83-Steelers-43
06-24-2006, 03:37 AM
Williams held to 14 yards rushing in Argonauts' lossAssociated Press

WINNIPEG, Manitoba -- Suspended NFL star Ricky Williams ran for 14 yards on eight carries Friday night in his second regular-season game for the Toronto Argonauts, a 16-9 loss to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

Williams, playing in the CFL after he was suspended by the NFL for one year after a fourth violation of the league's drug policy, also had one catch for a yard. Last Saturday, he ran for 97 yards on 18 carries in Toronto's 27-17 home victory over Hamilton.

"The way the game was going, a running back doesn't get touches unless the offense gets some kind of rhythm and they didn't allow us to get any kind of rhythm," Williams said. "When I do get touches, I've got to do a better job making more out of them."

Former Sacramento State star Charles Roberts, the CFL rushing champion last year, ran for 133 yards and a touchdown for the Blue Bombers.

"Our offense played really, really well and we were able to get up early and be able to utilize the run more than they could," Roberts said. "Our defense was a great defense. You can't really just look at Ricky's numbers and say specifically that I outshined him."

CantStop85
06-24-2006, 11:05 AM
Ricky was constantly getting hit in the backfield in that game. It looks like he's going to have to break a lot of tackles in order to succeed in the CFL.