PDA

View Full Version : Skill and the Desire to win

Bayz101
11-26-2011, 03:47 AM
As a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers, and really just sports in general. I have always been excited when a team has talent. I have always enjoyed watching a group of men perform well. It's like a factory assembling parts. You have a group of guys each in a different skillset putting parts in their place. And before long, you have a machine. A well oiled, high performance machine.

But there's always been one thing in the back of my mind. No matter how good you are, or how good you perform, i've always beileved one thing. You have to have your heart in the game.

You have to have the passion and desire to win. So with this, my question for you guys is: Does this team look like it has the desire to win?

Refer to our superbowl years. Take that desire, and add it up. Does it equal to the 2011 season?

-Nate

Added note, edited in:

My words are not in question. I'd say I have a pretty good case when I bring up passion and desire to win. There are many examples of this subject. Yankee's, Miami Heat. Teams that consist of lights out talent, that have recently fell short of winning it all. Do you think passion and desire played a part in these cases? That's just to name a few, I might add.

#1LambertFan
11-26-2011, 03:57 AM
To say we have more now than 05 or 08 seems a little jaded. I think we should rally around something and I have no doubt come playoffs a fire will be lit and some asses are gonna roast

Bayz101
11-26-2011, 04:00 AM
To say we have more now than 05 or 08 seems a little jaded. I think we should rally around something and I have no doubt come playoffs a fire will be lit and some asses are gonna roast

I think are attitude going into this Sunday's game will tell a lot. Not by the score, but by the aggressiveness and effectiveness. If we finish the season off well, I have no doubt we'll go into Baltimore and crush their hopes right their on their home field.

steelfury02
11-26-2011, 07:21 AM
A. I think during Cowher's tenure, the Steelers identity in general was much more like the Jets of last season, but probably even more talented, especially on the defensive side of the ball and in the running game. To boil that thought down: His teams wore their emotions on their sleeves and did a LOT of trash talking and were intimidating on defense, and backed up these factors by winning on a consistent basis via running the ball down people's throats - they established quite the bully on the block identity EXCEPT that they couldn't get over the hump for the duration of this period, except for at the end, which leads me to,

B. Ben's 15-1 rookie season and the XL season. Cowher's 15-1 squad was probably the best team he ever had as far as winning and in convincing fashion. We had a Steelers team that was taking the league by storm via arguably the best play by a rookie QB ever and one pissed off defense. We all felt that this was the best team in the league and was no doubt, on its way to a SB title, but came playoffs, Ben's play was shaky at best, they barely beat the Jets and then got smacked around by the Pats in the AFC Champ. Game which set up the improbable run:

C. The Steelers team with the most fire and heart where will won out over skill. The XL Squad had underachieved by many assessments during the majority of the regular season and we all joked that they'd have to win out to get in. What they did was get on a monumental run, rallied around Bettis's cause and never looked back - they were a team on a mission and would not falter, even on the road. Ben finally made a turn and we came out firing on all cylinders on offense, shocking people who expected us to run with the passing game. This run produced the some of the most memorable plays in Steelers lore (Ben's look-off pass on the left side of the field v. Bengals, Troy's non interception/interception, the Tackle, Shooting from the hips in Denver, the El to Ward SB XL game winning trick play) This SB win was long awaited and probably the most satisfying. This Steelers team had the most desire and were the hungriest bunch I've ever witnessed - that propelled them,not skill (although that helps too)

D. The XLIII squad had IMHO one of the top 10 defenses of all time. Sack totals skyrocketed, we had a two headed monster on edge pass rush, outstanding, game changing play by Troy throughout the regular season and playoffs and the most clutch Steelers offense in recent memory. The defense took a lot of pressure off the offense and when it had to, Ben and Tone scored the much needed TD. I would argue Tomlin's desire to make a mark had a lot to do with the XLIII squad. That team was the most mentally focused Steelers team I can remember. By the end of the season, we all felt that when we needed the play we would get it - and we did - whether it be on defense or offense. They always answered the bell when the game was on the line.

E. The 09 squad had the potential to repeat, started off 6-2 and got arrogant. They were the LEAST mentally focused team. They got fat, happy, thought because of the good start they were on their way and teams would lay over for them, and were probably hitting a wall emotionally and physically after numerous long seasons.

F. The XLV losing team was hungry again and out to prove they still had it in them AND that the whole was greater than its parts, meaning Ben and his suspension situation. No one thought they would sniff the playoffs let alone a SB appearance. In many ways, we arguably over achieved and as we started getting tired on defense, we ran into a well-oiled Green Bay offense and fell short, probably more due to the fact the offense had a horrid game. Unfortunately for a lot of the seasoned vets, this might have been the one that got away . . .

G. This year's squad: Well, we are sitting at 7-3 and the Jury is still out. The Ravens obviously did everything in their power to build themselves up to beat us, and they did .We have had a TON of injuries and just when you think we are getting healthy, then something else happens. Combine that with the youth movement, and fan favorite vets are losing their starting jobs. We have what it takes to make the playoffs, and hopefully over the last 6 games we will "sharpen our swords" to make a run at it. We might need to see these guys learn how to win huge games on the road this time around and I'm just a little weary that all these changes might catch up with them at a crucial moment. But hey, who knows - we have a lot of young guys WITH experience in big games so maybe they grab that torch and carry us to the promised land - it is possible. So, this team, in that regards, might have to take the tougher path - but maybe, just maybe they have a combo of vet leadership and fire via youth to make a push for #7. Time will tell - this is the most talent I've seen on offense in a while so who knows!

tanda10506
11-26-2011, 12:24 PM
Yeah it takes a lot more than talent to win, every year some "dream team" proves that. As mentioned, the way we play this game will definetly show a lot. If they go out there and play like animals then we might be in for a 6-0 run with domination, if we play down to them then we might get the '09 season again. It is largely mental. Either way, if we keep having everybody hurt then we wont win in the playoffs.

Bayz101
11-26-2011, 12:31 PM
Yeah it takes a lot more than talent to win, every year some "dream team" proves that. As mentioned, the way we play this game will definetly show a lot. If they go out there and play like animals then we might be in for a 6-0 run with domination, if we play down to them then we might get the '09 season again. It is largely mental. Either way, if we keep having everybody hurt then we wont win in the playoffs.

I agree. This Sunday's game will really say a lot. No matter how bad this team is said to be.

skinart82
11-27-2011, 12:28 AM
Don't forget that they are old, slow and should just hang it up. I think this years team has it in them to beat any team they face. One of the most talented offenses to hit the field and a defense that has a thing or two to say about being old and slow!

MACH1
11-27-2011, 10:25 PM
Someone BAN this assclown already.