PDA

View Full Version : Q&A: Steelers LB Jason Worilds

mesaSteeler
11-26-2011, 09:33 AM
Q&A: Steelers LB Jason Worilds
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/q-a-steelers-lb-jason-worilds/article_d3548134-1764-11e1-b4d5-001a4bcf6878.html
Posted: Friday, November 25, 2011 7:52 am

Jason Worilds will some day replace veteran James Harrison as the Steelers' right outside linebacker. Right now, though, he's been filling in on the left side while LaMarr Woodley recovers from a hamstring pull. A former Virginia Tech star taken in the second round of last year's NFL draft, Worilds will make his third straight start Sunday night when the Steelers play the Chiefs in Kansas City.

After practice Thursday, Times pro football writer Mike Bires spoke to Worilds about a variety of topics ranging from his days at Virginia Tech to the progress he's making in his second pro season. Following are excerpts of that conversation:

Q: Tuesday, Mike Tomlin said your play the past two games was "above the line." How does it feel to get a compliment from your coach?

A: "I didn't hear that, but it's good news. LaMarr is a heck of a player, so to know that I've been doing my job to the best of my ability and the coaches have noticed, that makes me feel good. I've definitely improved from last year when I got most of playing time on special teams. I thought I played OK in my first start against Baltimore. And I think I did pretty well in the game in Cincinnati. It was definitely a step forward."

Q: You had two sacks last year as a rookie but none yet this season. Are you ready to get that first sack this year? Can you feel it coming?

A: "Yeah, I do. I think if I keep getting pressure, it's going to come. I've been close a couple times, but I need to get there."

Q: What kind of rush do you get when you take down a quarterback?

A: "It's probably similar to when a defensive back picks off a pass. It's the highlight for a pass rusher for sure. As a pass rusher, that's what you look forward to doing ... sacking the quarterack."

Q: What has been the hardest thing for you in making the transition from a defensive end in college to outside linebacker as a pro?

A: "Pass coverage. Just making sure my eyes are in the right place so I can make the right reads and making sure I'm physically where I'm supposed to be. We (outside linebackers) probably drop back into coverage more than most people think. I'm getting better at it."

Q: Woodley keeps saying he wants to play in Kansas City but he's been limited at practice this week. Any chance he'll be in uniform Sunday night?

A: "I have no clue, really. If he doesn't play, it's another opportunity for me to go out there and take another step forward."

Q: What's it like playing behind two all-stars like Harrison and Woodley?

A: "They're both great players. I'm just proud to be part of the great Steelers' lineage at linebacker. My time will come."

Q: Did you watch any football games on TV last weekend during the Steelers' bye week?

A: "No, I didn't watch any NFL games. But I did catch the Virginia Tech game (a 24-21 win over North Carolina) from the third quarter on. My Hokies got Virginia this week, and if we win, we play Clemson in the ACC championship game."

Q: How did playing at Virginia Tech prepare you for NFL?

A: "First of all, I'm playing on a lot on special teams with the Steelers. Coming from Virginia Tech, we always put a premium on special teams. And if you look around the NFL, you'll see a lot of guys who played defense at Virginia Tech. At Virginia Tech, defense is what we do. We always pride ourselves on the way we play defense."

Q: Speaking of Virginia Tech, one of the Chiefs' cornerbacks is a former Hokie, Brandon Flowers. How good is he?

A: "I know Brandon well. We played together at Virginia Tech for two years. He's an exceptional player, probably one of the most under-rated corners in the league. In college, he used to line up on the other teams best receiver week in and week out and make him null and void."

Rick5895
11-26-2011, 11:14 AM
I know it's an unpopular opinion amongst some of the posters here, but I like Worilds. He may not be what Woodley and harison are, but few are, but he gives maximum effort and from what I have seen he does his job. Sacks will come for him but he sets the edge and does get decent pressure.

PhantomJB93
11-26-2011, 03:21 PM
Worilds got a lot of negative attention during preseason but I think he's looked good in the regular season so far (and he looked good last reg season too). I know he has no sacks but he's been getting good pressure and QB hurries, and he's gotten close to getting a sack a few times.

The problem is were spoiled with Harrison and Woodley and people are expecting Worilds to come out and instantly be able to get 3 sacks in a half, and when he doesn't he's labeled a bust...:noidea:

DanRooney
11-26-2011, 07:53 PM
Worilds has always been the guy who just wasn't able to get there. He had like 3 sacks as a Hokie before declaring. I'm not a fan.

Ricco Suavez
11-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Oh how soon we all forget. Woodley was considered a bust by some after only two seasons and even earlier this season after his contract there was talk of how his game had diminished. Give this guy a chance and see how he does. Remember Harrison took forever to finally make it on a team and look what he is now.

DanRooney
11-27-2011, 02:42 AM
Oh how soon we all forget. Woodley was considered a bust by some after only two seasons and even earlier this season after his contract there was talk of how his game had diminished. Give this guy a chance and see how he does. Remember Harrison took forever to finally make it on a team and look what he is now.

Do you mean Timmons? :noidea:

Woodley was never considered a bust. He was great his first couple of years and had that streak going for at least a single sack in every playoff game.

Bayz101
11-27-2011, 04:24 AM
Do you mean Timmons? :noidea:

Woodley was never considered a bust. He was great his first couple of years and had that streak going for at least a single sack in every playoff game.

That's what I was wondering. Probably meant Timmons. However, I don't think Worilds should be counted out anytime soon. There has been several times this year iv'e caught him right on the qb's tail, but he's just a split second late. He'll get there soon. Give the young man time, he'll get there.

theplatypus
11-27-2011, 11:54 AM
He's had all of 2 career starts, clearly he's a bust.

SunshineMan21
11-27-2011, 11:56 PM
Notched a sack today.

OX1947
11-28-2011, 12:07 AM

How and who the hell ever said Woodley was a bust after two seasons? He had 23.5 sacks, counting playoffs his first two years. And the first one he wasn't even starting.

JCPsteelers
11-28-2011, 01:01 AM
Timmons played DE at college. Not an easy transition to ILB in the Steelers defense. Plus he had some injuries in the beginning of his rookie year that set him back.

Woodley was never a bust.

Worilds will be fine. I thought he got some good pressure at times tonight and he made a good tackle late in the 4th coming back. Plus he had a sack.

queeg
11-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Playing young players is a need or we get old, average or awful like the Rams, Jacksonville, Seattle.

The coaches are moving lots of players into position to help the team. 2011 is the season our coaching staff should get credit for looking forward at long term Steeler success.

There are about eight young Steelers that look to have a bright future. If we can get a quality Ol player similar to Cotchery we will be able to slowly work in a high draft choice Ol guard...

McFadden may be a safety backup candidate or Brown which in long run gives us diversity.

If Arians retires the new coordinator is a very important new hire. Look to a familar face in this job....