PDA

View Full Version : Why is Cam Newton the obvious RotY?

ricardisimo
11-26-2011, 05:28 PM
Far be it from me ever to say anything nice about a Bengal, but honestly, shouldn't it be Dalton? It's not as though Dalton's numbers are awful, and Newton has definitely settled down some. And then there's the obvious: Dalton is winning, despite having to throw mostly to another rookie, and without much of a running game.

Quite honestly, if it's not going to be a Steeler, I'd rather it stay in-house in the AFCN.

Fire Arians
11-26-2011, 07:43 PM
i agree i think dalton deserves it more. but people will argue that cam newton doesn't win because he isn't surrounded by the same talent as dalton is. the bengals team is pretty solid overall while carolina is well, carolina.

ricardisimo
11-26-2011, 10:58 PM
i agree i think dalton deserves it more. but people will argue that cam newton doesn't win because he isn't surrounded by the same talent as dalton is. the bengals team is pretty solid overall while carolina is well, carolina.
Cincy is further removed from the playoffs than Carolina, aren't they? They've sniffed it once in the past ten years or so, I think that game where Kimo von Oelhoeven snapped Palmer's leg, if memory serves. And they both sucked horrifically last year, right? Carolina has a running game and Steve Smith, whereas Cincy has an actual defense. So much for the theory that it's an offensive game now.

GMU Steeler
11-29-2011, 02:20 AM
Cincy is further removed from the playoffs than Carolina, aren't they? They've sniffed it once in the past ten years or so, I think that game where Kimo von Oelhoeven snapped Palmer's leg, if memory serves. And they both sucked horrifically last year, right? Carolina has a running game and Steve Smith, whereas Cincy has an actual defense. So much for the theory that it's an offensive game now.

Made it in 2009 when they won the division but got bounced first round by the Jets. It's tough really for me between the two. Cam has the more impressive stats and one can argue his record has been hindered by his defense. At the same time, Dalton has his team in the playoff hunt in a tough division but some argue that his defense has helped him like Cam's defense has hurt him. It's tough really but I think both organizations probably feel a lot better about their futures going forward then they did last year which is more than Jacksonville who got Gabbert can say. I think our division is going to be really interesting especially if Cincy makes smart picks with the picks from the Palmer-Raiders trade. And it will also be interesting to see how Dalton does when more is asked of him on offense too.

Merchant
11-30-2011, 01:21 PM
Why can't it be a defensive player? Von Miller has been killin it

ricardisimo
11-30-2011, 03:30 PM
Why can't it be a defensive player? Von Miller has been killin it
Good point. :scratchchin:

fer522
11-30-2011, 06:47 PM
what about Trent Richardson he's had a pretty good year too

ricardisimo
12-01-2011, 01:03 AM
what about Trent Richardson he's had a pretty good year too
We haven't quite gotten to the point where we give Rookie of the Year awards to college juniors. Maybe one day.

tony hipchest
12-01-2011, 03:11 AM
if one was gonna revise their fantasy football team and had the choice just between cam newton and dalton, everybody would select cam for his rushing td's and passing yards alone.

that is why.

as for von miller, there is no rookie mvp award. cam will most likely win offensive rookie of the year, and von miller pretty much already has the defensive ROTY award sewn up.

the last 2 steelers honored would be big ben and kendrell bell.

steelax04
12-01-2011, 09:01 AM
Just ran across this...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/hot?id=7291234

Fire Arians
12-01-2011, 12:57 PM
their passing stats are almost identical, but newton's 10 touchdowns on the ground will probably be the deciding factor.

i think dalton has the leadership intangibles, they both are leading teams coming off losing seasons, but dalton has turned his team into a winner. cam has been money if you're into fantasy stats, but hasn't been able to close games. i don't know if cam has the ability to be a great leader, but saying he is a gifted athlete is an understatement

though this league is all gaga about stats and newton definitely has the edge when it comes to the whole excitement factor. he's basically what tebow was supposed to be, but unlike tebow, he can also score through the air

with that said, both have been impressive so far. dalton has been clutch, but cam is fun as hell to watch.

QCbeauBlak
12-04-2011, 11:07 AM
I live in Charlotte and have seen this kid practice and have gotten an overall vibe from the players here that Cam is a GREAT leader. The panthers can be a lot like the eagle this year. There are players on the team that used to flat out give up, Steve Smith included. The panthers organization is keeping a tight lid on him this year.. notice the lack of interviews he has. He hasn't posted on twitter since his draft day I think. People just aren't seeing what a leader he is. But go on youtube and watch the AU Football videos. You will see first hand what a leader dude is.. I know it seems like im on his nuts, but I have never really payed attention to many players other than the steelers until Cam burst on the scene,,

As far as his playing ability, the panthers have the leagues hardest schedule this year. Even with that, he has lead in nearly every game he played this year, including almost beating the packers and putting up 35 on the lions.. Dalton on the other hand is playing the NFC west and AFC south this year, like us, one of the easiest schedules in the league.. I think we give QB's a little too much credit for wins. The Bengals defense is really really good.. The panthers have one of the worst defenses I have ever seen.. And up until a few weeks ago, the panthers running game was Cam because Williams sucked most of the year, but had a few 10 ypc games to make his stats looks better..

Fire Arians
12-05-2011, 08:35 PM
I live in Charlotte and have seen this kid practice and have gotten an overall vibe from the players here that Cam is a GREAT leader. The panthers can be a lot like the eagle this year. There are players on the team that used to flat out give up, Steve Smith included. The panthers organization is keeping a tight lid on him this year.. notice the lack of interviews he has. He hasn't posted on twitter since his draft day I think. People just aren't seeing what a leader he is. But go on youtube and watch the AU Football videos. You will see first hand what a leader dude is.. I know it seems like im on his nuts, but I have never really payed attention to many players other than the steelers until Cam burst on the scene,,

As far as his playing ability, the panthers have the leagues hardest schedule this year. Even with that, he has lead in nearly every game he played this year, including almost beating the packers and putting up 35 on the lions.. Dalton on the other hand is playing the NFC west and AFC south this year, like us, one of the easiest schedules in the league.. I think we give QB's a little too much credit for wins. The Bengals defense is really really good.. The panthers have one of the worst defenses I have ever seen.. And up until a few weeks ago, the panthers running game was Cam because Williams sucked most of the year, but had a few 10 ypc games to make his stats looks better..

damn, you're right. looking at that carolina schedule it's downright brutal. looks like 75% of their games have been against playoff contenders, and have been playing everybody tough. If they had an easier schedule or maybe even an average one, they might have a winning record.

i will say they are a decent defense away from being a really good team though. then again you can say that about a lot of NFL teams.