PDA

View Full Version : Week 12 Post Game Thread/Game Ball

ricardisimo
11-28-2011, 02:05 AM
I can't believe no one has started this thread yet. Mom! Where are you???

Anyhow, my game ball goes to... Dwayne Bowe, for handing us the game on their last possession. Honorable mention goes to Ryan Mundy, whom the Chiefs clearly thought they could exploit once Troy was out. Not! Everyone else was so-so.

BlockMonsta
11-28-2011, 04:11 AM
gotta agree with you on Mundy, nice to see some turnovers.

Rick5895
11-28-2011, 06:30 AM
I agree on Mundy, did a very good job replacing Troy. Worilds played a good game as well.

btaylor179
11-28-2011, 07:27 AM
once again we play down to our competition

DoctorCAD
11-28-2011, 09:08 AM
once again we play down to our competition

Or maybe that was the best we can do...kinda sad.

SteeleReign
11-28-2011, 09:33 AM
Thoughts? Why was a veteran team, coming off a needed bye, so flat against a greatly inferior team? Thankful for the win, but puzzled by the lack of focus - dropped passes, a $hit-pile of penalties, and virtually no pressure on the QB.

Game ball? Palko. Awfully nice of him to give a Christmas gift back to the city of Pittsburgh. No one on the Steelers stood out to me. If I had to pick a Steeler, I'd go with Worilds.

Also, a little concerned about Harrison. Looked like he had a hard time getting up after every play. Hope his back isn't becoming a problem again. I'd like to see Woodley & Harrison on the field together for the stretch.

Bayz101
11-28-2011, 09:49 AM
Thoughts? Why was a veteran team, coming off a needed bye, so flat against a greatly inferior team? Thankful for the win, but puzzled by the lack of focus - dropped passes, a $hit-pile of penalties, and virtually no pressure on the QB.

Game ball? Palko. Awfully nice of him to give a Christmas gift back to the city of Pittsburgh. No one on the Steelers stood out to me. If I had to pick a Steeler, I'd go with Worilds.

Also, a little concerned about Harrison. Looked like he had a hard time getting up after every play. Hope his back isn't becoming a problem again. I'd like to see Woodley & Harrison on the field together for the stretch.

Any team coming off a bye is going to be slow. It gives you rest but it throws you off more than anything. And as for Palko---He didn't do that bad. He had one bad mistake which led to an Ike T interception, but the other two picks weren't really his fault.

There defense stopped us too many times in second half, and out defense was left to finish things off. Even Ben acknowledged this. I would have to say the game ball goes to Antonio Brown and Jason Worilds. Both players stepped up.

SteeleReign
11-28-2011, 10:00 AM
Any team coming off a bye is going to be slow. It gives you rest but it throws you off more than anything. And as for Palko---He didn't do that bad. He had one bad mistake which led to an Ike T interception, but the other two picks weren't really his fault.

There defense stopped us too many times in second half, and out defense was left to finish things off. Even Ben acknowledged this. I would have to say the game ball goes to Antonio Brown and Jason Worilds. Both players stepped up.

I have to disagree with you regarding the bye week. I am not concerned about being "slow." We had execution issues. Sloppy offense, stupid penalties, and dropped passes. Those are inexcusable at any time, but more so after an additional week of preparation and rest.

Palko got better as the game progressed, but make no mistake, Palko's mistakes were the difference.

TRH
11-28-2011, 10:03 AM
Mundy, Worilds had good games. Gay had a good game.

Rick5895
11-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Or maybe that was the best we can do...kinda sad.

Why the hell are you so negative all the time?

StainlessStill
11-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Easy, Palko:tt04:

rich4eagle
11-28-2011, 02:46 PM
Here are my thoughts on the game. Tomlin managed the game so poorly it came down to one play win or lose, that is unacceptable. Ben obviously was a bit off on his throwing. Mendenhall needs seriously to be considered being replaced by Redmon, because we have no running game with Mendenhall, does the same move at all times even if it makes the loss bigger. We serioulsy, need Troy back and soon he is the heart and soul of this team. Losing Pouncey hurt, hopefully him back will help. Woodley is needed back too but Worilds was very good last night
Now for the coaching why would any team ever punt with a once score lead on a team with no offense when you are on their 39......................TOMLIN GETS A BIGG FRIGGING COACHING F FOR NOT PUTTING THE GAME AWAY AND WORSE BLOWING A TIME OUT................

INEXECUSABLE..............that was the worst among several other coaching blunders

SteeleReign
11-28-2011, 03:21 PM
[QUOTE=rich4eagle;965169]Here are my thoughts on the game. Tomlin managed the game so poorly it came down to one play win or lose, that is unacceptable. Ben obviously was a bit off on his throwing. Mendenhall needs seriously to be considered being replaced by Redmon, because we have no running game with Mendenhall, does the same move at all times even if it makes the loss bigger. We serioulsy, need Troy back and soon he is the heart and soul of this team. Losing Pouncey hurt, hopefully him back will help. Woodley is needed back too but Worilds was very good last night
Now for the coaching why would any team ever punt with a once score lead on a team with no offense when you are on their 39......................TOMLIN GETS A BIGG FRIGGING COACHING F FOR NOT PUTTING THE GAME AWAY AND WORSE BLOWING A TIME OUT................

INEXECUSABLE..............that was the worst among several other coaching blunders

Funny you mention the 4th down. Just once, the team needs to snap the ball and try it. Everybody watching knows he's trying to draw an offsides. Go for it one time & you'll have them guessing....and maybe, jumping the snap.

Fire Arians
11-28-2011, 03:23 PM
tyler palko

co-mvp todd haley for not yanking him

SteeleReign
11-28-2011, 03:29 PM
[QUOTE=rich4eagle;965169]Here are my thoughts on the game. Tomlin managed the game so poorly it came down to one play win or lose, that is unacceptable. Ben obviously was a bit off on his throwing. Mendenhall needs seriously to be considered being replaced by Redmon, because we have no running game with Mendenhall, does the same move at all times even if it makes the loss bigger. We serioulsy, need Troy back and soon he is the heart and soul of this team. Losing Pouncey hurt, hopefully him back will help. Woodley is needed back too but Worilds was very good last night

Funny you mention the 4th down. Just once, the team needs to snap the ball and try it. Everybody watching knows he's trying to draw an offsides and has no intention of calling for the snap. Go for it one time & you'll have them guessing.

tanda10506
11-28-2011, 03:40 PM
It felt like a loss when it was over. Mundy, Worilds, and Gay played well. Harrison would have made some plays but he was being drug down by his jersey and neck all game. It's a wonder he keeps his temper through all those holds. We havd to stop running Mendenhall outside all the time, Dwyer and Redman need to split the time with Mendy. Even Moore looked better than Mendy. Mendy has talent but running to the outside and dancing will not get it done. The bye probably had the most to do with it, seems like we are still just as injured as before it, so all it really did was throw the team off IMO.

MACH1
11-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Once again arians trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

4 turnovers and 13 points is all this O can muster?
If it's working switch up to something that doesn't, that'll trick em.

ricardisimo
11-28-2011, 04:28 PM
I didn't think Mendenhall was doing that badly, to tell you the truth. It's amazing that he can ever get anything at all going, let alone three-and-a-half yards/carry. You need reps to get a rhythm with the running game, both in practice and in game, something that Arians can't be bothered with. He's having too much fun playing Madden with real people.

Not sure who it is, but a few folks here keep talking about "run, run, pass, punt", as if that's in any way an accurate description of the Arians playbook. It's more like pass, pass, pass, run, pass, pass, pass, pass, run, pass, pass, pass, pass, FG. and all but two or three of those plays - either run or pass - are for little to no yards. If it weren't for third-and-VERY-long, Arians' offense would do nothing at all ever.

If I'm Mendenhall, I'm asking my agent to shop my services around to a team that is committed to running the football, at least some of the time, and occasionally to somewhere other than off right tackle.

stb_steeler
11-28-2011, 04:40 PM
I didn't think Mendenhall was doing that badly, to tell you the truth. It's amazing that he can ever get anything at all going, let alone three-and-a-half yards/carry. You need reps to get a rhythm with the running game, both in practice and in game, something that Arians can't be bothered with. He's having too much fun playing Madden with real people.

Not sure who it is, but a few folks here keep talking about "run, run, pass, punt", as if that's in any way an accurate description of the Arians playbook. It's more like pass, pass, pass, run, pass, pass, pass, pass, run, pass, pass, pass, pass, FG. and all but two or three of those plays - either run or pass - are for little to no yards. If it weren't for third-and-VERY-long, Arians' offense would do nothing at all ever.

If I'm Mendenhall, I'm asking my agent to shop my services around to a team that is committed to running the football, at least some of the time, and occasionally to somewhere other than off right tackle.

Be a hard fit to find a team that runs the ball much anymore......

Steel Peon
11-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Why was a veteran team, coming off a needed bye, so flat against a greatly inferior team? Thankful for the win, but puzzled by the lack of focus - dropped passes, a $hit-pile of penalties, and virtually no pressure on the QB.
All of this and then some. Chalk up yet another win that feels oddly like a loss. Not one point scored in the 2nd half, and a coaching staff that looks clueless does the opposite of comforting me. I guess if you're going to almost shit in your hat, then this was a good time to almost do that, but it doesn't look good. Other teams are taking notes, and I think we may even drop in the weakly(sic) power rankings, despite the win.

ricardisimo
11-28-2011, 11:47 PM
Be a hard fit to find a team that runs the ball much anymore......
Yes and no, mostly no. I think our perceptions are skewed because of the shift these past few years in Pittsburgh's offensive philosophy. But there are 23 RBs out there with more yards than Rashard, 17 with more carries, as well as 17 teams with more yards on the ground than the Steelers. Most of those teams, with the exception of the Dolphins, Jags and Panthers, are vying for playoff spots right now. Rushing does not mean losing, in other words, despite what Goodell would like you to believe.

You think the Jets, for example, won't throw buckets of money at Rashard next year to start shifting the offensive burden away from their clearly in-over-his-head quarterback? How about the Bengals? Benson's not the answer for them, long-term. Arizona and Washington regularly steal players from us, and he might wind up on one of those teams. Mendenhall is a quality running back, and I'm afraid many Steeler fans won't recognize that until he's long gone.

Sixburgher
11-28-2011, 11:56 PM
Other teams are taking notes, and I think we may even drop in the weakly(sic) power rankings, despite the win.

Power rankings don't mean shit. Just so ya know.

ricardisimo
11-29-2011, 12:02 AM
Power rankings don't mean shit. Just so ya know.
I think he knows that, hence the not-so-hidden barb in his post towards the rankings.

Sixburgher
11-29-2011, 12:09 AM
I think he knows that, hence the not-so-hidden barb in his post towards the rankings.

Hard to tell around this place. I figured the "weakly" malapropism was an allusion to the Steelers' performance against the Chiefs as opposed to being an indictment of the power rankings themselves. Otherwise, why mention them at all?

tony hipchest
11-29-2011, 01:25 AM

Hard to tell around this place. I figured the "weakly" malapropism was an allusion to the Steelers' performance against the Chiefs as opposed to being an indictment of the power rankings themselves. Otherwise, why mention them at all?

nobody knows what the hell you guys are talking about. :wink02:

isnt a malaprpism barb what killed the crocodile hunter?

the bengals suck.

i think mundy is a damn good selection. he keeps getting better in reserve, with age, and coming in to replace the defensive MVP (let alone making a significant impact) is no easy task. it would be his 1st gameball.

in a way, i'm slightly more inclined to give it to a rookie who was able to do what no other player on the field did- score a TD.

if i were the HC, this may be the rare instance where i would give out 2 gameballs, to two of the most unlikely recipients, just to send a message to the rest of the team that sometimes it will be the role players who step up, make an impact, and deliver a WIN.

:tt02:

SunshineMan21
11-29-2011, 02:51 AM
Yes and no, mostly no. I think our perceptions are skewed because of the shift these past few years in Pittsburgh's offensive philosophy. But there are 23 RBs out there with more yards than Rashard, 17 with more carries, as well as 17 teams with more yards on the ground than the Steelers. Most of those teams, with the exception of the Dolphins, Jags and Panthers, are vying for playoff spots right now. Rushing does not mean losing, in other words, despite what Goodell would like you to believe.

You think the Jets, for example, won't throw buckets of money at Rashard next year to start shifting the offensive burden away from their clearly in-over-his-head quarterback? How about the Bengals? Benson's not the answer for them, long-term. Arizona and Washington regularly steal players from us, and he might wind up on one of those teams. Mendenhall is a quality running back, and I'm afraid many Steeler fans won't recognize that until he's long gone.

I think anyone who gives Mendenhall a ton of money is probably foolish, and I'm not on the Mendenhall-hating bandwagon. I'd say he's above-average, but not hugely so.

It's just that I don't see RBs as being worth huge money--they're probably among the most fungible positions on the field. For a truly elite back (Peterson, Jones-Drew), they might be worth the money for a year or two, but even then teams tend to pay guys past their relatively short lifespan. Sometimes backs with unique skill sets (Darren Sproles comes to mind, but also guys like Kevin Faulk or even our own Mewelde Moore) are worth resigning, but for the most part it's a bad idea to invest too much money.

There are always Arian Fosters, LeGarrette Blounts, or Isaac Redmans. Undrafted guys who can play.

If we lose Wallace next year it will be a disaster--there might not be a single other player in the league who can give us quite what he does. If we lose Mendenhall, I don't have any particularly compelling reason to believe that Redman/Dwyer/Moore/Batch wouldn't give us pretty similar production for a fraction of the cost.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
11-29-2011, 12:39 PM
Arians didn't call a bad game. Ben was in the zone most of the game, his receivers (particularly Wallace) were having a hard time catching the ball and the runningbacks couldn't get anything going. Don't everybody get their panties in a bunch. Anyways, my gameball goes to the Steelers defense. 4 takeaways and only 9 points allowed.