PDA

View Full Version : A new backup?

Big D
06-18-2006, 03:10 PM
Alright as many of you know i'm not a huge Charlie Batch fan. Yes he did get us through a couple games last year but I dont think he would be the answer if for some reason bens injury would hold him up. So I ask you all this do you think we should look into a backup via free agency or possibly make a trade. Tell me what you all think

BlacknGold Bleeder
06-18-2006, 03:16 PM
No ... given that we still haven't gone through camp if the coaching staff thinks we are in trouble then is the time to make a move.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-18-2006, 03:18 PM
Alright as many of you know i'm not a huge Charlie Batch fan. Yes he did get us through a couple games last year but I dont think he would be the answer if for some reason bens injury would hold him up. So I ask you all this do you think we should look into a backup via free agency or possibly make a trade. Tell me what you all think

Yes Batch has had a history of injuries throughout his entire NFL career. Thats why I call him "The Candle". One blow and he is out. So that is a concern. But who is really out there to sign as a free agent? Sure Kerry Collins is out there. But he would cost to much and can't escape a pass rush to save his life. Tommy and Kordell are out there as well. But I say pass on them.

Now if you explore the trade route. You always give way to much up for QB's. I remember when it cost the Dolphins a 2nd pick for A.J. Feeley. So I say if Ben can't go at the start of the season. You might as well go with "The Candle" oh I mean Charlie Batch. This is why I hope Omar Jacobs develops quickly so he can be the backup to Ben one day.

Big D
06-18-2006, 03:22 PM
I tend to forget about jacobs. I love this kid I think he has a great amount of potential and i can't wait to watch him in the future. I just remeber when batch was with the lions and he couldnt get it done with the wr core he had there. The reason the dolphins gave so much for feely is because they thought he was way more talented then he actually was. Remeber that year when mcnabb went down detmer and feely both looked like pro bowlers when they got in there. It was really just the system. I have a great amount of respect for both cowboy back up qbs. and i truely believe hensen could be a great talent. so why not call jerry boy and at least ask?

Black@Gold Forever32
06-18-2006, 03:28 PM
I tend to forget about jacobs. I love this kid I think he has a great amount of potential and i can't wait to watch him in the future. I just remeber when batch was with the lions and he couldnt get it done with the wr core he had there. The reason the dolphins gave so much for feely is because they thought he was way more talented then he actually was. Remeber that year when mcnabb went down detmer and feely both looked like pro bowlers when they got in there. It was really just the system. I have a great amount of respect for both cowboy back up qbs. and i truely believe hensen could be a great talent. so why not call jerry boy and at least ask?

I'm just saying teams seem to alway over value QB's. Plus you have to think if a team does have a solid backup would they want to give him up due to the fact that their starter might go down with injury. If a team is usually trading a QB. There must be a reason behind it. But one backup QB that I do like but the Steelers would have to give up to much to get him is Matt Schaub of the Falcons.

I like Omar Jacobs alot myself. I'm a big fan of the Mac conference and have watched Chad Pennigton, Byron Leftwich, Ben Roethlisberger, Charlie Fyre and Omar all when they were in college. Jacobs has alot of talent and upside. He could develop into a real solid QB one day.

Big D
06-18-2006, 03:37 PM
Matt Schaub is a great young qb part of me thinks the reason why the falcons have held onto him is because they will let Michael Vick go next year when he is a free agent. One thing i would like to mention is during the draft the vikings supposedly offered there number one pick and the falcons turned it down. Why do that when you have a super star qb. makes you think huh

Black@Gold Forever32
06-18-2006, 03:40 PM
Matt Schaub is a great young qb part of me thinks the reason why the falcons have held onto him is because they will let Michael Vick go next year when he is a free agent. One thing i would like to mention is during the draft the vikings supposedly offered there number one pick and the falcons turned it down. Why do that when you have a super star qb. makes you think huh

I agree thats why the Falcons held onto Matt. Matt is actually a way better fit for their west coast offense that the Falcons run. Thats why I stated usaully when a team trades a QB there is a reason for it. If that backup QB is any good the team usually holds on to them.

Big D
06-18-2006, 03:44 PM
I know this is way off the topic but I really feel that vick his overrated. He turns the ball over to much. I would let him walk in free agency and mold schaub who could really run moras west coast offense better anyways. Have any of you heard that the falcons will probably run more out of the shotgun this year to help vick out more. Hello this is the nfl not ncaa that shit isnt going to work

tony hipchest
06-18-2006, 03:48 PM
drew henson couldnt beat out quincy carter, tony romo, or chad hutchinson. yet brady could beat out bledsoe. henson is a flop and the steelers wouldnt give up a bag of peanuts for him.. atleast o. jacobs has potential and upside. weve seen what a rookie qb can do in this system. sure, he wouldnt be virtually perfect like ben but definitely better than d. henson.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-18-2006, 03:48 PM
I know this is way off the topic but I really feel that vick his overrated. He turns the ball over to much. I would let him walk in free agency and mold schaub who could really run moras west coast offense better anyways. Have any of you heard that the falcons will probably run more out of the shotgun this year to help vick out more. Hello this is the nfl not ncaa that shit isnt going to work

Well Vick isn't a good fit for the west coast offense. The Falcons probally are doing that to play to his strengths. If the Falcons are going to continue running the west coast offense. I think it would be in their best interest to let Vick walk and start Schaub. But if the Falcons do indeed let Vick walk that probally would upset their fanbase and ticket sales could suffer. Thats the sad part of pro sports were money rules.

SteelShooter
06-18-2006, 03:49 PM
I like Charlie. But I will be honest and admit that I worry about his tendency toward injury. If it comes down to it, I foresee Bill C. developing Omar as quickly as possible for a reason. So that if, for whatever reason Ben isn't ready, then we play Charlie as long as we can until he becomes injured....then shift to Omar with a conservative offense much the same way we did with Ben in 2004.
All IMO, of course. :cool:

Big D
06-18-2006, 03:51 PM
i've heard that jacobs has unreal potential. So why not start molding him now

Black@Gold Forever32
06-18-2006, 03:52 PM
drew henson couldnt beat out quincy carter, tony romo, or chad hutchinson. yet brady could beat out bledsoe. henson is a flop and the steelers wouldnt give up a bag of peanuts for him.. atleast o. jacobs has potential and upside. weve seen what a rookie qb can do in this system. sure, he wouldnt be virtually perfect like ben but definitely better than d. henson.

Agree Tony. I liked Henson when he was at Michigan. But since his return to football. Henson hasn't done it for me. Steelers might as well just stick with Omar and develop him. Omar skills are alot like Ben's. Of course I couldn't see the Steelers going 15-1 with Omar like they did with Ben. But then again who knows.

As much as I liked Ben and wanted the Steelers to draft him. I also wanted Ben to play right away. I never thought the Steelers would be 15-1 in 2004 when Ben took over for Tommy when Tommy was injured.

Big D
06-18-2006, 03:57 PM
very good point. however you have to remeber he was out of football for awhile. I watched his play with nfl europe and thought he was very impressive.

RichmondVA
06-19-2006, 10:58 AM
During & after training camps every year, cuts are made and all positions will have some big names on it. I don't like the idea of a trade now for a back-up QB; but if camp proves we have a need, a cap casualty QB could help the Steelers.

Haiku_Dirtt
06-19-2006, 01:15 PM

Right now I'm glad that we have Batch in camp and under contract. The "Candle" reference is probably funniest thing I'll hear today. But he knows the playbook and he'll at least keep defenses from jamming the line of scrimmage on EVERY PLAY.

But how bad will Willie Parker start to look if Jacobs is taking snaps? There is no way of knowing if that funky side arm throw will ever make it over the helmets (insert bad motorcycle joke here) of NFL lineman.

The Candle may wax injury but a rookie 3rd stringer? Hines Ward may be a better option than that this season.

Big D
06-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Right now I'm glad that we have Batch in camp and under contract. The "Candle" reference is probably funniest thing I'll hear today. But he knows the playbook and he'll at least keep defenses from jamming the line of scrimmage on EVERY PLAY.

But how bad will Willie Parker start to look if Jacobs is taking snaps? There is no way of knowing if that funky side arm throw will ever make it over the helmets (insert bad motorcycle joke here) of NFL lineman.

The Candle may wax injury but a rookie 3rd stringer? Hines Ward may be a better option than that this season.
i dont see the side throwing a problem. Gannon threw that way and so does vince young

Black@Gold Forever32
06-19-2006, 01:27 PM

Dude I like Batch as the backup. But he just has the worst luck in staying healthy. Look at the two games he started last year against the Pack and Browns. That Browns game he banged his finger on a helmet and broke it. Thats just how it has gone for Mr. Batch in his NFL career. I remember watching that game with my uncle. When Batch was injured he said no suprise one blow and Batch is out. Thats when "The Candle" nickname popped in my head.

I like Jacobs as the future backup to this team. Sure he has funky side arm throw. But there have been other QB's who have had it also and had good NFL careers.

BlackNGold203
06-19-2006, 02:03 PM
Once camp starts....IF the staff doesnt feel Ben will be ready, they can do something...the closer you get to the season...the cheaper some of the unemployed guys (Collins) will be...

Haiku_Dirtt
06-19-2006, 02:09 PM
Dude I like Batch as the backup. But he just has the worst luck in staying healthy. Look at the two games he started last year against the Pack and Browns. That Browns game he banged his finger on a helmet and broke it. Thats just how it has gone for Mr. Batch in his NFL career. I remember watching that game with my uncle. When Batch was injured he said no suprise one blow and Batch is out. Thats when "The Candle" nickname popped in my head.

I like Jacobs as the future backup to this team. Sure he has funky side arm throw. But there have been other QB's who have had it also and had good NFL careers.

I'm talking about this season. In 12 weeks how is Rookie going to learn the offense? Read defenses? Is Batch our future backup? Hell no.

What I am saying is that if Ben can't play and the Candle goes out, then we may have to think a little unconventionally to maintain possession of the football. If Jacobs has to go out there to become a hand-off machine then defenses will just load up on the line. If they let him throw 3-and- outs or worse interceptions may be far too common.

Obviously I hope Jacobs can compete with Ben for 1st string. But even the freak rookie known as Ben struggled. And since I doubt lightning will strike twice for the Steelers using a hybrid like Hines at QB for a number of possessions each game may be our only option. He knows the playbook and he can read defenses.

That is if Ben and Batch can't play on September 7th. Or worse. Maddox.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-19-2006, 02:17 PM
I'm talking about this season. In 12 weeks how is Rookie going to learn the offense? Read defenses? Is Batch our future backup? Hell no.

What I am saying is that if Ben can't play and the Candle goes out, then we may have to think a little unconventionally to maintain possession of the football. If Jacobs has to go out there to become a hand-off machine then defenses will just load up on the line. If they let him throw 3-and- outs or worse interceptions may be far too common.

Obviously I hope Jacobs can compete with Ben for 1st string. But even the freak rookie known as Ben struggled. And since I doubt lightning will strike twice for the Steelers using a hybrid like Hines at QB for a number of possessions each game may be our only option. He knows the playbook and he can read defenses.

That is if Ben and Batch can't play on September 7th. Or worse. Maddox.

All I'm going to say if Omar has to play alot this year. We didn't think the Steelers would go 15-1 with Ben starting most of the year in 2004. Is it likely to happen again I doubt it. But who knows? Ben will be fine though and Omar will get to learn from the sidelines.

Haiku_Dirtt
06-19-2006, 02:19 PM
i dont see the side throwing a problem. Gannon threw that way and so does vince young

Okay Gannon.

Who knows about Young? Like I've said in the past the Rose Bowl performance has almost everthing to do with a USC defensive MELTDOWN :dang: than it did with Vince Young. I not anywhere close to being sold on Young.

The one thing I keep hearing about Jacobs is that his accuracy is laser-guided. From what I can tell about what HE thinks is that he is there to compete with Ben.

You have to love THAT about him...and he's not getting arrested.

HometownGal
06-19-2006, 02:36 PM

I'm not a huge Batch fan either, but the pickings are slim out there at the QB position. I think Batch would be OK for a game or two against a weak defense, but anything beyond that I would be nervous with him behind center. Hopefully, Ben will be ready when the season opens (though I wouldn't bet my life on it) and we won't have to be concerned.

Let Omar Jacobs develop and keep Batch at #2 unless an offer comes along for a vet QB that the Steelers can't refuse.

sheba
06-20-2006, 08:07 AM
Go with the trade

CowherLover
06-20-2006, 08:15 AM
Once camp starts....IF the staff doesnt feel Ben will be ready, they can do something...the closer you get to the season...the cheaper some of the unemployed guys (Collins) will be...
Oh hell no you didn't just bring up Collins!!! I get your point about wanting a veteran backup but there is now way that any of them left out there are worth even looking at, IMO. Least of all Collins, just thinking about that guy in B&G makes my stomach queezy. Typically the learning curve would be less of an issue, I understand, but you have to have someone that has some knowledge of our playbook. Let's face it, if there's backup in the game all they have to know how to do is hand the ball off and throw dink and dunks anyway.

section514
06-20-2006, 09:31 AM
can we wait like maybe a month to see how ben is doing before we worry about a backup for Batch

CowherLover
06-20-2006, 09:34 AM
I'm with ya, besides we still have Rutherford with us too.