PDA

View Full Version : Kirk lafrentz

Big D
06-18-2006, 05:01 PM
Awhile ago i posted a thread on who to replace cowher. Now that we know cowhers end is comming near let me throw his name out. I just moved to boston about 4 months ago and i've learned alot about belichick and how great of a manager and coach he really is. Kirk lafrentz is part of the belichick family that has included nick saban, charlie weis, romeo crennel and Eric mangini. I say give this man a chance and we as a steelers nation wont be disapointed

Black@Gold Forever32
06-18-2006, 05:14 PM
Awhile ago i posted a thread on who to replace cowher. Now that we know cowhers end is comming near let me throw his name out. I just moved to boston about 4 months ago and i've learned alot about belichick and how great of a manager and coach he really is. Kirk lafrentz is part of the belichick family that has included nick saban, charlie weis, romeo crennel and Eric mangini. I say give this man a chance and we as a steelers nation wont be disapointed

I don't know of Kirk. But he comes from a good back round of coaches. I think a more pressing need is finding a replacement for coach LeBeau one day. Lets face it coach LeBeau isn't getting any younger. But I do have one guy in mind and that is Darren Perry to replace LeBeau oneday. Perry has played and coached under LeBeaus's defensive system and would know the system well.

Big D
06-18-2006, 05:16 PM
I hope your not suggesting dick as our head coach

Black@Gold Forever32
06-18-2006, 05:19 PM
I hope your not suggesting dick as our head coach

No read my post again I said a replacement for coach LeBeau. Meaning someone to take over for him as our defensive cordinator.

Big D
06-18-2006, 05:24 PM
i've always like darren perry even since he played for us. But remeber when the steelers wanted to hire joe greene before they hired cowher? I would like to see somebody hired outside the organization and i think that lafrentz is perfect for the job.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-18-2006, 05:33 PM
i've always like darren perry even since he played for us. But remeber when the steelers wanted to hire joe greene before they hired cowher? I would like to see somebody hired outside the organization and i think that lafrentz is perfect for the job.

Dude I'm not talking about a replacement for Cowher. I'm talking about a replacement for LeBeau as our next defensive cordinator. I think finding a replacement for LeBeau is more a pressing need then replacing Cowher since coach LeBeau is 70 years old. Thats why I think Darren Perry would a good replacement for LeBeau since he played and coached under LeBeau's system.

Big D
06-18-2006, 05:35 PM
I hear your bark big dog. I know you are talking about dick. I just got back on the topic

Black@Gold Forever32
06-18-2006, 05:38 PM
I hear your bark big dog. I know you are talking about dick. I just got back on the topic

Sorry, about changing the topic. I just think that is a more pressing need. But your right finding a replacement for Cowher is important since we don't what is going through Cowher's head.

DIESELMAN
06-18-2006, 09:09 PM
Both of you guys are right and then theres Whisenhunt, teams will really be chasing him in the next season or two.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-18-2006, 10:51 PM
Both of you guys are right and then theres Whisenhunt, teams will really be chasing him in the next season or two.

Yea Whisenhunt will be a target for teams looking for a bright young head coach. If Cowher does retire after this year or the 2007 season. We should promote Whisenhunt to head coach. That is if some team already hasn't made him a head coach yet.

section514
06-18-2006, 11:35 PM
i dont know too much about this guy, but as a steeler fan, I DO NOT WANT A PATRIOT RUNNING THE STEELER PROGRAMS.

The patriots have ruined at least 3 days of my life, I don't want this guy running our show. To me thats like aBrowns coach comin in and coachin the steelers.

Like i said, i do not know too much about kirk lafrentz, but he does not get my vote

BlacknGold Bleeder
06-18-2006, 11:44 PM
While you write off Cowher I would think it's up to whoever is named as his replacement to pick his staff. The Wiz would seem to fit but the Rooney's have had a pretty good system for picking the last couple of coaches, and to my knowledge neither were big names at the time.
A team is going to have tobe patient to get at any of the Steeler coaches because I'm expecting deep runs into the playoffs for years to come!!! Wiz and Grimm were both prominent names this past season but the other teams would not wait that long, good for us!!

Steel Pit
06-19-2006, 01:11 AM
The Steelers will try to find someone within the organization. Whisenhunt is the logical choice if he's still around when Cowher retires. If we go outside the organization they will find someone fairly green as was the case with Noll and Cowher. The Steelers won't go out and find some so-called big shot from another organization. That type of hiring is for LOSERS in search of a quick fix.

I also agree with Black and Gold Forever's speculation that LeBeau is schooling Darren Perry to be the next defensive coordinator. Perry knows the Steelers defensive scheme probably as well as anyone. The Steelers front office have made mention that Darren Perry is going to be a good coordinator someday.

BigDude66687
06-19-2006, 01:15 AM
Cowhers successor will be Russ Grimm :), Lebaeu will be succeded by Perry and Wisenhunt by Jerome :), a man can dream cant he

Rotorhead
06-19-2006, 11:34 AM
I thought Whiz stayed around because he was pretty much in line to be the next head coach already . . .

Big D
06-19-2006, 11:36 AM
thats what they say but for some reason i cant see him coaching the steelers. Probably because he's a offensive coach

RichmondVA
06-19-2006, 12:25 PM
Now that we know cowhers end is comming near

Yes, Cowher will some day not coach the Steelers. What have I not seen or read to validate that the end is coming now. Land and homes in NC is not a sign the end is coming IMO.

If he does hang it up next season at age 49, I couldn't blame him. But, he now has the QB to lead him to many more SB wins, works for the best Owner in football. Walking away anytime for him will be hard... but now (soon) would be even harder.

MNsteelers
06-19-2006, 12:25 PM

I can't say I have working knowledge of Kirk Lafrentz (I thought you were talking about Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz at first) but I do know the best coaches always come from successful programs. It's more about the system in which the coach was crafted. The New England Patriots are a prime example of this. I wouldn't mind having any coach who learned management and leadership skills under Bill Belechick (in my mind, the best coach in the history of the NFL).

Either way, Cowher isn't going anywhere for a while, but if he does retire in the near future, it'll be Russ Grimm, no question. Loyalty is a top priority with the Rooneys, and Grimm has been with this team (and has been successful) for a while. Only seems fair.

But there really isn't any indication Cowher plans to hang up his whistle. I'm from Pittsburgh originally and I love the area, but you really can't argue about the quality of the North Carolina countryside and the surrounding Pittsburgh area. Very few of the Steelers players even live in Pittsburgh after the season is over. The fact he bought a nice house on a large acreage only suggests that he wants to live in a nicer area in the off-season.

Big D
06-19-2006, 12:27 PM
thats who i was talking about sorry i got his name wrong. My problem with grimm and whisenhunt is they are both offensive coaches. I want a defensive coach to keep up or tradition

Haiku_Dirtt
06-19-2006, 02:37 PM
I don't know of Kirk. But he comes from a good back round of coaches. I think a more pressing need is finding a replacement for coach LeBeau one day. Lets face it coach LeBeau isn't getting any younger. But I do have one guy in mind and that is Darren Perry to replace LeBeau oneday. Perry has played and coached under LeBeaus's defensive system and would know the system well.

Bullseye. I cringe at the thought of him gone.

But my Dad just turned 71 and he can still cycle 75 miles through the Santa Monica Mountains.

Dick LeBeau seems as sharp as ever. Glad to see that we can finally use his real first name instead of 'Richard' or ****.

section514
06-19-2006, 02:44 PM
I thought Whiz stayed around because he was pretty much in line to be the next head coach already . . .
no, he stayed arouned because I started the "Oakland Sucks" chant at the Super Bowl Parade when he was in front of me

Haiku_Dirtt
06-19-2006, 02:46 PM
thats who i was talking about sorry i got his name wrong. My problem with grimm and whisenhunt is they are both offensive coaches. I want a defensive coach to keep up or tradition

I really think Whiz is next. Dan quietly passed the torch to Art II. And from what I can tell Art II wants to put his stamp on this organization with the hiring of the next head coach. And perhaps they have to either promote Whiz or lose Whiz.

The Ben/Whiz love affair is only just getting started. I doubt Art II wants to risk it.

I hear what you're saying about a defensive guy as HC. In my heart I would too. But I just can't see losing Whisenhunt.

Big D
06-19-2006, 02:47 PM
I think if dick was only going to be around for a couple years he would have retired right after he got fired from cinci

ARKIESTEEL
06-19-2006, 02:54 PM
i dont know too much about this guy, but as a steeler fan, I DO NOT WANT A PATRIOT RUNNING THE STEELER PROGRAMS.

The patriots have ruined at least 3 days of my life, I don't want this guy running our show. To me thats like aBrowns coach comin in and coachin the steelers.

Like i said, i do not know too much about kirk lafrentz, but he does not get my vote

Thats all fine and good but whos in the picture?

Big D
06-19-2006, 02:57 PM
no, he stayed arouned because I started the "Oakland Sucks" chant at the Super Bowl Parade when he was in front of me
think about this for a second. Why would whisenhunt want the raiders job. He would have a owner who interferes with day to day practices. He would inherit a team with minimal talent. On top of that the raiders have cap issues so it will be hard for them to sign anybody in f.a.. Instead he gets to be the cooridnator for a championship team with a young talented qb. sounds like a no brainer to me

GoFor6
06-19-2006, 03:02 PM
Noll was a back-up offensive lineman. LeBeau will coach 2 more years and yes Perry appears to being groomed.

I think Russ Grimm has too much baggage (divorse and drinking) to be a Steelers Head Coach - someone will gamble on him, but I don't think it will be the Steelers. We know nothing of Wisenhunt defensive philopshy so I can't compare him to others out there.

Being a coordinator is far cry from being a Head Coach. I think if Cowher goes out on-top, then the philophy may be to get a care-taker like Wisenhunt but I suspect that the Rooneys will look at everyone out there and make a long-term choice. Let's not forget the Rooney Rule - hehehehe.

section514
06-20-2006, 09:18 AM
Thats all fine and good but whos in the picture?
My number 1 steeler fan, soon to be Mrs. Section514

ARKIESTEEL
06-20-2006, 10:04 AM
Well from what I can see you are a lucky guy

section514
06-20-2006, 10:12 AM
Well from what I can see you are a lucky guy
i like to think so