PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps a changing of the guard beginning on defense?

LayingTheWoodley56
11-28-2011, 08:58 AM
We all know the Steeler way: draft, develop, and plug in when a veteran's time has come to pass the torch. We have had the same defense basically since 2008, and many of the guys are mainstays from way before that (Casey, Troy, Keisel, Farrior, Ike, etc.) Are we going to have the same excellent development of our current group of young and up-and-coming players who will be be up to the Steelers defensive standard for years to come?

I'm saying this after seeing big plays from our two young safeties last night, Mundy and Lewis, and on the heels of step-up performances during the New England game from Stevenson Sylvester and Chris Carter when Farrior and Woodley went down. Do we think that Mundy is the heir apparent to Clark, Lewis to Ike, Sylvester to Farrior, so on and so forth.

We need to draft a nose tackle to replace Casey, but how many of you think that we will see the names Heyward, Hood, Sylvester, Carter, Mundy, Allen, Lewis being the next guys who keep "the standard at the standard?"

SteeleReign
11-28-2011, 09:11 AM
I would expect the team to dtaft MLB and Safety in the upper rounds in the next draft. Offensive line is a need too, but I wouldn't expect them to draft at that position any earlier than the 3rd round.

I don't know if Carter or Sylvester will be next in line. I don't think the coaches have seen enough to feel comfortable with them and will likely draft high at that position.

I like what I've seen from McClendon at NT. I'd like to see him step up and be the next in line. It's difficult to make an impression as a 3-4 NT, but if McClendon can tie up a couple blockers that would make him an effective NT.

Curtain_of_Steel
11-28-2011, 09:34 AM
Lets not get overly excited on the 2 int's, in fact all 3 of them. None were tremndous plays, except fromt he fact we actually caught them. Palko and his WR's had no clue.

McClendon has done well and he could save us another 4-5mill next year as Hampton seems to be heading out the door.

Lots of money going to be cut next year.

kirklandrules
11-28-2011, 01:05 PM
I don't know if Carter or Sylvester will be next in line. I don't think the coaches have seen enough to feel comfortable with them and will likely draft high at that position.

Considering Lebeau has said it takes about 3 years to develop a starting Steelers linebacker, Id say Carter, Sylvester and even Worilds are on track and can become starters if they keep taking steps forward (Carter has a ways to go right now). Im trying to think of a linebacker in the past 10 years that just stepped into the starting role sooner than 2 years in this defense (Woodley in 2). Heres a dated article that talks about the young linebacker talent on the team.

http://blog.pennlive.com/patriotnewssports/2011/11/linebacker_situation_still_clo.html

StainlessStill
11-28-2011, 01:17 PM
I was talking about this to a friend the other night. The youth movement has arrived for us and we'll continue the trend in next years draft.

IMHO, we'll go cornerback #1, left guard #2 and safety #3, maybe a tweener to breed both at FS & SS, kind of like what we've been doing with Mundy all these years. After the Polamalu era (hard to say that) it'll be a young safety and Mundy holding down the fort in our defensive backfield. Also, we will find a replacement at Nose Guard for an eventual takeover for Casey Hampton to complete our depth on the D-line (Ziggy, Heyward, draft pick.)

Merchant
11-28-2011, 01:49 PM
I was talking about this to a friend the other night. The youth movement has arrived for us and we'll continue the trend in next years draft.

IMHO, we'll go cornerback #1, left guard #2 and safety #3, maybe a tweener to breed both at FS & SS, kind of like what we've been doing with Mundy all these years. After the Polamalu era (hard to say that) it'll be a young safety and Mundy holding down the fort in our defensive backfield. Also, we will find a replacement at Nose Guard for an eventual takeover for Casey Hampton to complete our depth on the D-line (Ziggy, Heyward, draft pick.)

If we don't go O-Line in the first round i'm gonna shoot someone.

rich4eagle
11-28-2011, 01:57 PM
If we don't go O-Line in the first round i'm gonna shoot someone.

Other than the obvious misunderstanding about the worth of the OLINE in the last post, this thread was entertaining and quite informative and useful:applaudit:

tanda10506
11-28-2011, 02:13 PM
I think we have our NT already in McClendon, actually we are pretty set on the d line. Worilds had a good game last night. I haven't seen much from Sylvester or Carter since they haven't been on the field much, but they played well against the pats. Gay is steppi.g up, Ike is playing well, Lewis is doing great every time he is in, and we just drafted 2 CB's so I don't see us drafting high for a CB. I like Mundy but it may be time to go for a safety. IMO we are set at everything on offense except at LG, RG. Maybe draft mlb, guard, safety.

Fire Arians
11-28-2011, 02:29 PM
I think we have our NT already in McClendon, actually we are pretty set on the d line. Worilds had a good game last night. I haven't seen much from Sylvester or Carter since they haven't been on the field much, but they played well against the pats. Gay is steppi.g up, Ike is playing well, Lewis is doing great every time he is in, and we just drafted 2 CB's so I don't see us drafting high for a CB. I like Mundy but it may be time to go for a safety. IMO we are set at everything on offense except at LG, RG. Maybe draft mlb, guard, safety.

my thoughts exactly, i think our biggest need right now is MLB, safety, and oline

LayingTheWoodley56
11-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Damn, I forgot about McClendon and especially Worilds. I like Jason a lot, I think he's going to be a good player for us. As for the draft, definitely a safety. Definitely an MLB. But first and for most, we need an offensive guard. Legursky, Foster and obviously Kemo aren't doing it for me, not even close.

soulkitchen
11-29-2011, 10:00 AM
One thing I noticed about Worilds is that he has put on some mass and still maintained his speed. I believe when this all starts to click he could be the next impact player. Harrison is still solid, but I wouldn't mind it if Worilds pushes him to the inside next to Timmons next year.

DanRooney
11-29-2011, 10:17 AM
There are no safety prospects in this upcoming draft capable of succeeding Troy unless we find a diamond in the rough. ILB Dont'a Hightower or NT Dontari Poe are our likely first round picks. Maybe G David DeCastro from Stanford if he's still there.

Rick5895
11-29-2011, 11:06 AM
I think we will draft late. Hightower won't still be there.

BossAus
11-29-2011, 05:40 PM
If Luke Kuechly, Manti Te'o, or Vontaze Burfict falls to us I'll wet myself.

Sharkissle29
11-29-2011, 09:52 PM

Vontaze Burfict is one MEAN dude and could be the next Harrison/Porter of the Steelers as far as intensity which i feel we lack at times.

He just needs to play smarter which our coaches would teach well.

DanRooney
11-30-2011, 05:35 AM

All 3 are possibilities. It's a really great class for ILBers as well as QBs with all of the depth. Just like last year was a great year for first round DTs/DEs. With all of those QBs looking to go early, as well as WRs like Blackmon. Jeffery and Floyd, it could push Kuechly, Burfict, Te'o and Hightower back enough for us to grab one of them. Or maybe back enough to (hold your laughter) trade up only a few spots.

steelerchad
11-30-2011, 08:07 AM
I think Cortez Allen may develop into our starting corner in 2 years.

rich4eagle
11-30-2011, 07:25 PM
I love the way the Steelers have drafted for years, PLAYMAKERS, especially offense and then defense, too bad fandom misses that agenda

Rotorhead
11-30-2011, 11:11 PM
Actually with such a deep crop of QBs i wouldnt be surprised if we grabbed a QB in the first 3. We have IRd our #2 2 yrs in a row, Batch is getting up there in age and Dixon doesnt want to be around anylonger.

Danny136200
12-01-2011, 12:30 AM
Lets not get overly excited on the 2 int's, in fact all 3 of them. None were tremndous plays, except fromt he fact we actually caught them. Palko and his WR's had no clue.

McClendon has done well and he could save us another 4-5mill next year as Hampton seems to be heading out the door.

Lots of money going to be cut next year.

The way the Steelers have been dropping INTs this year, there is reason to get giddy once they catch three in one game. Just sayin, the D took their opportunities Sunday night.

SunshineMan21
12-01-2011, 12:37 AM
I think Cortez Allen may develop into our starting corner in 2 years.

I have been impressed--evidently the coaches think so, too, as they're playing him ahead of McFadden and Brown.