PDA

View Full Version : Weslye Saunders...

DanRooney
11-29-2011, 04:57 AM
anyone else really impressed with this kid? I'm hoping we can get him into the offense more with David Johnson getting phased out. I really think we can use him like Jimmy Graham was used last night. It looks like he has pretty nice hands and is a bit quicker than Heath.

MDSteel15
11-29-2011, 06:27 AM
You're kidding right? This moron has't used Heath all these years what makes you think BA is going to start using some young TE? :noidea:

Rockonsteel
11-29-2011, 06:42 AM
You're kidding right? This moron has't used Heath all these years what makes you think BA is going to start using some young TE? :noidea:

:applaudit:

I couldn't agree with this statement more! I can see this kid playing a role similar to JerMicheal Finley in Green Bay in an offense with a competent OC. He has a similar skillset. Not quite as fast, but is quite athletic and moves well in space. But, BA has no idea how to utilize talent like that. I'm surprised he hasn't tried to turn him into a FB that he "never uses in his offense". :banging:

Rockon

Bayz101
11-29-2011, 06:55 AM
ROFL. BA can't seem to figure out how to use Heath nowadays. Hell, he's never been great at it. I don't see any chance that this kid will be integrated into this offense much with BA as the O-Cord. He's good though, there's no doubt about that. But first, Arians has to learn things like, you know, running the ball to the left.

Bayz101
11-29-2011, 06:57 AM
Just to make it clear, I didn't mean that post to be insulting. I agree with everything you said about Saunders, but it's just not going to be a good fit for him under BA. I hope i'm wrong. Maybe he'll get some quality reps next week?

theplatypus
11-29-2011, 07:50 AM
Do you all take blitzes, dropped passes, anything at all into account when you come up with these scenarios? Maybe it's just me, but I would prefer more opportunities to get the ball into the hands of Wallace,Brown, and Sanders as opposed to Miller. A couple of really fast guys running with the ball or someone my grandmother could catch from behind. decisions, decisions

Welker, Gronkowski, & Hernandez or Wallace, Brown, Sanders

To answer the op's question Saunders could very well end up being the steal of the draft for us. Before being suspend he was considered by some to be 1st round talent and we got him as an undrafted free agent. Yet further proof the FO doesn't know what they're doing.

DanRooney
11-29-2011, 08:05 AM
Last 2 drafts were spectacular. I said that right after they happened. I wasn't high on '09s and I was absolutely right about that for the most part. Urbik, Summers and Shipley...oh my.

I'd hesitate to put Sanders in the same sentence as Wallace and Brown. He doesn't quite get it yet imo.

Rick5895
11-29-2011, 08:11 AM
anyone else really impressed with this kid? I'm hoping we can get him into the offense more with David Johnson getting phased out. I really think we can use him like Jimmy Graham was used last night. It looks like he has pretty nice hands and is a bit quicker than Heath.

I agree with you on Saunders, great talent. Maybe if the OC spot becomes vacant and we get someone (Norv Turner after he gets fired in SD ?) who can actually put to use all these weapons we have Saunders will be able to show what he's capable of.

steelfury02
11-29-2011, 08:12 AM
Do you mean Sanders or Saunders doesn't get it?

Unfortunately between the SB injury, his mother's death, and the recent injury, E.Sanders hasn't quite had the opportunity

theplatypus
11-29-2011, 08:15 AM
Do you mean Sanders or Saunders doesn't get it?

Unfortunately between the SB injury, his mother's death, and the recent injury, E.Sanders hasn't quite had the opportunity

Weslye Saunders in the original post and Emanuel Sanders in subsequent posts.

With regards to E. Sanders people love to forget the injury, surgery, no spring practice, missing all of training camp and the first couple games, the knee injury, his mothers death and say he just doesn't get it.

kirklandrules
11-29-2011, 08:17 AM
Do you all take blitzes, dropped passes, anything at all into account when you come up with these scenarios? Maybe it's just me, but I would prefer more opportunities to get the ball into the hands of Wallace,Brown, and Sanders as opposed to Miller. A couple of really fast guys running with the ball or someone my grandmother could catch from behind. decisions, decisions

Welker, Gronkowski, & Hernandez or Wallace, Brown, Sanders

Saunders is bigger and stronger than Heath and may catch just as well. If they can teach the kid to be an effective blocker, then they have another very valuable weapon. It's not about WR vs. TE. It's about having the capability to mix your offensive packages that creates mismatches. If you have a 1st & 10 and come out with 2WR (Wallace, Brown) and 2TE (Miller, Saunders) and 1RB (Mendy), you force the defense into their base package (keeping an extra LB on the field) because of the run potential. Out of that set, if the Steelers throw, who covers Miller and who covers Saunders? Chances are you have a S on one and a LB on another. Ben will either hit the TE covered by the LB or go deep to the single covered WR.

To answer the op's question Saunders could very well end up being the steal of the draft for us. Before being suspend he was considered by some to be 1st round talent and we got him as an undrafted free agent. Yet further proof the FO doesn't know what they're doing.

100% agreed. Saunders has outstanding talent and the Steelers got him for cheap. Living in Charlotte, I get to see a lot of the southeast teams play and watched Saunders do quite well in that Spurrier offense.

DanRooney
11-29-2011, 08:21 AM
Sanders. I was never as high as him as I was with the other two. Nothing I've seen about him so far screams great playmaker as it did with Wallace and Brown. He looked pretty iffy out there last night (granted Wallace did too) and especially on kick returns. I don't think he made it past the 20. I'm hoping they give Brown his return duties back.

kirklandrules
11-29-2011, 12:56 PM
Sanders. I was never as high as him as I was with the other two. Nothing I've seen about him so far screams great playmaker as it did with Wallace and Brown. He looked pretty iffy out there last night (granted Wallace did too) and especially on kick returns. I don't think he made it past the 20. I'm hoping they give Brown his return duties back.

Some day I'd like to see what Sanders can do when he's not hurt or coming off surgery. He was very good running after the catch in college. According to his teammates and the press, Sanders is the more cerebral WR of the Young Money. Having the ability to read defenses and adjusting the routes accordingly, finding the seams, being where the QB expects you to be ... all are about as important as having raw natural talent (that Brown and Wallace posses). But, having said that, it's raw natural talent that makes for a great return man and Brown should be the guy there.

Fire Arians
11-29-2011, 01:05 PM

i thought sanders played well yesterday. I do agree with having brown on kickoff returns though.

i still have faith that he will emerge as the #2 or a very solid #3 guy. He has all the physical tools that brown has, but like a poster above said, is better at reading the defenses.

tanda10506
11-29-2011, 03:36 PM
By playoff time Sanders will be pretty close to Brown at WR, although I do think Brown is a better kick off returner.