PDA

View Full Version : Fear the Beard: Keisel wants a big buck

mesaSteeler
11-29-2011, 09:58 PM
Fear the Beard: Keisel wants a big buck
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/fear-the-beard-keisel-wants-a-big-buck/article_f794b68a-1a85-11e1-9547-001a4bcf6878.html?mode=print
By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com | Posted: Tuesday, November 29, 2011 7:26 am

PITTSBURGH -- On game days, Brett Keisel sets his sights on opposing quarterbacks. Today, he's taking aim at whitetail deer, the most striking game animal in Pennsylvania.

Keisel, the Steelers' defensive end who sports perhaps the NFL's most famous beard, is an avid outdoorsman who loves to hunt and fish.

He's one of an estimated 750,000 hunters in the state licensed to harvest an antlered deer in the two-week general buck season that started Monday.

"I was out a few times during archery and I passed on some little guys," Keisel said. "Now I'm hoping they grow up to be big guys."

Because the Steelers (8-3) will be busy practicing and playing the next two weeks, Keisel doesn't have many chances to hunt buck. He typically goes out on Tuesdays, the only off day for the Steelers.

"I think hunting in western Pennsylvania is good," said Keisel, who's in his 10th season with the Steelers. "I think it's going better since I've been here. I'm surprised about the amount of big deer that come out of this state.

"It's all about habitat," Keisel added. "It's all about finding the right place to hunt. I have a few hot spots up my sleeve."

Over tahe years, Keisel has had moderate success hunting buck in western Pennsylvania.

"I've gotten a couple," he said. "The biggest one I got so far is a 10-point. Maybe I'll get a bigger one this year."

tony hipchest
11-29-2011, 10:24 PM
keisel actually got him an 8 point 1st thing in the morning. legursky was hoping to get him one.

gotta love tweets from the stand.

Bayz101
11-29-2011, 11:38 PM
Keisel actually got himself an 8-pointer today.

Edit: Ouch! Spanked by Tony. How didn't I see that post???

stb_steeler
11-30-2011, 01:16 AM
I see Keisels up for the Walter Peyton award.....:applaudit: