PDA

View Full Version : Steelers notes: Arians will pass on Ole Miss

mesaSteeler
12-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Steelers notes: Arians will pass on Ole Miss
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/local_sports/steelers-notes-arians-will-pass-on-ole-miss/article_2db7b170-1cea-11e1-a03f-0019bb30f31a.html?mode=print
By Mike Bires mbires@timesonline.com | Posted: Friday, December 2, 2011 8:28 am

PITTSBURGH -- Bruce Arians just laughed when told that he's been mentioned as a candidate for the head coaching vacancy at Ole Miss.

"No. Those days (are over)," said Arians, the Steelers' offensive coordinator. "I can't stand rookies, man, so there's no way in hell I can coach college guys."

Arians, who's been in an assistant in the NFL since 1998, does have several stints as a college coach on his resume. Among his stops in the collegiate ranks include two years as running backs coach (1981-1982) at Alabama under the legendary Bear Bryant and a six-year run as head coach at Temple (1983-88).

"It's flattering," Arians said of the Ole Miss speculation. "It's a great university and I do have friends there. It's always nice to hear your name mentioned with any head coaching job. I wish them well in their search. But no, I'm not a candidate, believe me."

While Arians has no intentions of ever coaching again on the college level, that isn't the case for two other Steeler assistants -- quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner and running backs coach Kirby Wilson.

Fichtner is considered a candidate at Ole Miss and Memphis. Fichtner had two different stints at Memphis and was the Tigers' offensive coordinator from 2001-2006.

Kirby is being mentioned as a candidate for the head coaching vacancy at Illinois where he played for two years (1980-1981).

"Randy would be a great college head coach whether it be Ole Miss or Memphis," Arians said. "He'd do a fantastic job as would Kirby."

Arians, 59, came to Pittsburgh in 2004 as the Steelers' wide receivers coach. He then became offensive coordinator in 2007 when Mike Tomlin was hired as head coach.

POLAMALU PRACTICES

Strong safety Troy Polamalu was back at practice Thursday. He missed Wednesday's workout as he recovered from a blow to the head in Sunday night's win in Kansas City.

The Steelers never said definitively if Polamalu had a concussion. They just said he was kept out of the game because he experienced concussion-like symptoms.

Coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday that Polamalu is expected to play Sunday against the Bengals.

Before and after practice Thursday, Polamalu stayed clear of the locker room during interview sessions and wasn't available or comment.

In other injury news of note:

** Linebacker LaMarr Woodley took another step toward playing for the first time since Oct. 30 by practicing again for the second straight day.

"I'm still day-to-day, but I'm getting better every day," said Woodley, who's been out with a hamstring pull.

Woodley leads the Steelers with nine sacks.

** Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was limited at Thursday's practice after banging his broken right thumb.

"He got a little sting on it, nothing major," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "So we just iced it down."

** Wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders (foot) also missed practice.

POTENTIAL PRO BOWLERS

Two Steelers are among the top 10 in the NFL fans' portion of the Pro Bowl vote. Wide receiver Mike Wallace is No. 8 (575,821). Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is ninth (565,378).

Wallace is second among AFC wideouts behind New England's Wes Welker. Roethlisberger is second among AFC QBs behind Tom Brady.

Two Steelers have received the most votes at their positions on the AFC portion of the ballot - center Maurkice Pouncey (228,297) and strong safety Troy Polamalu (146,989).

Pro Bowl voting will continue online and on web-enabled mobile phones by going to NFL.com/probowl through Dec. 19.

The AFC and NFC all-star squads are determined by a consensus vote of fans, players and coaches. Each group's vote counts one-third toward determining the 43-man rosters for each conference.

NFL players and coaches will cast their votes on Dec. 21-22.

The teams will be announced on Dec. 27.

This year's Pro Bowl will be played on Jan. 29 at Aloha Stadium in Honolulu, Hawaii.

Steel Peon
12-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Steelers notes: Arians will pass on Ole Miss
Well, I know this is old news and all, but :pissed::mad::help::shake01::horror::splat::shake0 2::dang::ouch::yuck::bonk::huh::shootme::wtf::jerk it::upyours:

mesaSteeler
12-03-2011, 12:12 AM
Why am I not surprised that Arians PASSED on the position.

OX1947
12-03-2011, 04:29 AM
I wish he would get lost so we can pick up Norv Turner next year.

Goldsteel86
12-03-2011, 08:08 AM
Christmas is ruined, "No Virginia there is no Santa Claus", I was really looking forward to an explosive Ole Miss team next year! :banging::mad:

Atlanta Dan
12-03-2011, 08:30 AM
Why am I not surprised that Arians PASSED on the position.

His play calling skill is surpassed only by his modesty

pittpete
12-03-2011, 02:59 PM
http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq150/pittpete/EinstienBA.jpg

Goldsteel86
12-03-2011, 03:39 PM

Let's Caption This:

Ben: Hey Bruce, see the running game is there, just ask Charlie!

Charlie: Bruce, Ben is right, its right there, right there!!!!

Byron: What are you guys talking about? Yep there it is, the running game, I'm speechless!!!!!

E=MC2, really, how about Ole Miss equals sanity for Pittsburgh!!!!!

55BaileyFan
12-03-2011, 07:24 PM
I wish he would leave...my Christmas list would be complete.

Steeldude
12-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Arians will pass on Ole Miss

that will make the arians apologists happy

Steeldude
12-03-2011, 11:55 PM

Caption this:

Arians: eeny, meeny, miny, moe... looks like it's going to be a bubble screen, guys.

BR: but it's 3rd and 18

arians: your point? fine, we will throw a 30 yard bomb to wallace.

batch: um...we are on the opponent's 18 yard-line.

arians: look, it's all about execution. if we don't make the first it's the fault of the players. ok, ok, let me roll the dice again to see what comes up.

tony hipchest
12-04-2011, 12:08 AM
I was really looking forward to an explosive Ole Miss team next year! :banging::mad:

:toofunny::toofunny::toofunny:

Fire Arians
12-04-2011, 12:14 AM
Caption this:

Arians: eeny, meeny, miny, moe... looks like it's going to be a bubble screen, guys.

BR: but it's 3rd and 18

arians: your point? fine, we will throw a 30 yard bomb to wallace.

batch: um...we are on the opponent's 18 yard-line.

arians: look, it's all about execution. if we don't make the first it's the fault of the players. ok, ok, let me roll the dice again to see what comes up.

No, i bet it's more like this.

http://www.roflcat.com/images/cats/270909744_cd078aad8f.jpg