PDA

View Full Version : What if......Santonio Holmes??

Ambridge
06-19-2006, 06:51 PM
I know it would probably never happen but do the Steelers have the ability to say they no longer have interest in signing Santonio Holmes due to the off the field issues and forfeit their rights to his services or are they legally bound to offer him a contract and sign him??

Losing a first round pick before he's ever played could be a huge blow both to the team and to the FO for having drafted him but if parting ways before he becomes more of a problem...........I'd rather it be done sooner rather than later.

Save the cash you'd spend on him and put it in the "Resigning Roethlisberger/Polamalu Fund".

Black@Gold Forever32
06-19-2006, 07:03 PM
I know it would probably never happen but do the Steelers have the ability to say they no longer have interest in signing Santonio Holmes due to the off the field issues and forfeit their rights to his services or are they legally bound to offer him a contract and sign him??

Losing a first round pick before he's ever played could be a huge blow both to the team and to the FO for having drafted him but if parting ways before he becomes more of a problem...........I'd rather it be done sooner rather than later.

Save the cash you'd spend on him and put it in the "Resigning Roethlisberger/Polamalu Fund".

I'm sure the Steelers can forfeit Holme's rights. But, the thing is the Steelers really have Santonio and his agent by the balls when it comes time to sign his contract. The Steelers can put behavior clauses in his contract. Plus with Santonio, being arrested twice the Steelers, might not give him a signing bonus. I say let his agent and Santonio bark at that and let him sit if he doesn't want to sign.

Big D
06-19-2006, 07:16 PM
you can in fact due that. a few years ago the vikings almost lost there rights to bryant mckinnie. there is a deadline for draft picks in november that if you arent signed by a certain date the player goes back in the draft for the following year. however i would see the steelers trading his rights first

3 to be 4
06-19-2006, 07:31 PM
im just dyin here.....

SteelCityMan786
06-19-2006, 07:34 PM
WTF???? Holmes if you want a contract MAKE SURE YOU PROVE YOUR INNOCANCE! The Steelers won't put up with it.

tony hipchest
06-19-2006, 07:34 PM
im just dyin here.....

how come no ones questionned if the steelers woulda been better off drafting chad jackson?

Black@Gold Forever32
06-19-2006, 07:37 PM
how come no ones questionned if the steelers woulda been better off drafting chad jackson?

Tony, with the track record of WR's lately. So, whos to say Chad Jackson won't be arrested at some point in his career. Sure, right now it looks like Chad Jackson would have been the better pick. But, both guys havn't even stepped onto the field yet. I'll wait a little longer in second guessing the Steelers brass for drafting Holmes.

3 to be 4
06-19-2006, 07:38 PM
Bill Belichick will be holding his press conference 20 minutes after Brady to give his perspective on all of this.

tony hipchest
06-19-2006, 07:40 PM
Tony, with the track record of WR's lately. So, whos to say Chad Jackson won't be arrested at some point in his career. Sure, right now it looks like Chad Jackson would have been the better pick. But, both guys havn't even stepped onto the field yet. I'll wait a little longer in second guessing the Steelers brass for drafting Holmes. acatually, i still feel s. holmes was the better pick because i think he is the better player.

im not getting in on this s. holmes witch hunt. and i wanted lendale. i still wouldnt trade holmes for lendale (i may regret this statement) but thats how much faith i have in willie and duce. and faith in the steelers org. straightenning this young kid holmes out.

im not looking for chiorboys to be steelers. i want a baller.

3 to be 4
06-19-2006, 07:41 PM
when does Rae Carruth get out?

tony hipchest
06-19-2006, 07:44 PM
when does Rae Carruth get out?

:sofunny: santonio is a jaywalker. carruth may be an option. im suprised no one has called for ben to be cut for breaking the law.

Big D
06-19-2006, 07:45 PM
I live in boston and all i've been hearing about is how good chad jackson has looked in mini camp. We wouldnt have had to trade anything to get him either.

Black@Gold Forever32
06-19-2006, 07:45 PM
acatually, i still feel s. holmes was the better pick because i think he is the better player.

im not getting in on this s. holmes witch hunt. and i wanted lendale. i still wouldnt trade holmes for lendale (i may regret this statement) but thats how much faith i have in willie and duce. and faith in the steelers org. straightenning this young kid holmes out.

I liked Holmes alot. I was hoping the Steelers did draft Holmes. I'm not ready to bury the kid yet either. But, his arrests isn't a good way to start your NFL career. Lets face it I don't care how good a player you are. You won't help the team behind prison bars. Not saying Santonio, will end up in prison. But, red flags are starting to pop up.

Big D
06-19-2006, 07:54 PM
i would have loved lendale white in our back field. its really a misfortune we couldnt get him

tony hipchest
06-19-2006, 08:21 PM
i would have loved lendale white in our back field. its really a misfortune we couldnt get him

lendale could very well have an eddie george type of career with the titans. i would not be suprised at all, infact, thats what i expect from him.

oh well, hes the titans problem now.

SteelShooter
06-19-2006, 08:32 PM
acatually, i still feel s. holmes was the better pick because i think he is the better player.

I wanted Lendale too Bro...but I have my faith in Willie and Verron with the jury still out on Duce (ONLY because of health issues...if he stays healthy, he will kick hiney!).

I'll do the same as you and stick with the FO's decision concerning Santonio. I really think, if he straightens up, that he will totally burn the routes down!

I'm really looking forward to this season................

3 to be 4
06-19-2006, 11:22 PM
Tony, with the track record of WR's lately. So, whos to say Chad Jackson won't be arrested at some point in his career. Sure, right now it looks like Chad Jackson would have been the better pick. But, both guys havn't even stepped onto the field yet. I'll wait a little longer in second guessing the Steelers brass for drafting Holmes.

yeah, who's to say! everybody gets arrested 3 or 4 times!! I did just an hour ago.
In fact, he they come again!!!!

Steel Pit
06-19-2006, 11:34 PM
yeah, who's to say! everybody gets arrested 3 or 4 times!! I did just an hour ago.
In fact, he they come again!!!!

LMFAO! That was one of the funniest posts that I've ever read!

SteelersMongol
06-20-2006, 12:54 PM
I was just thinking and thought "What if dat woman who called on the police is a gold digger?" You know. Since Holmes would probably land on multimillion $ contract, you know. :cool:

Steel12
06-20-2006, 12:57 PM

Good post...I agree

BlackNGold203
06-20-2006, 01:22 PM
if anything..it gives the Steelers leverage in contract talks...he may be a victim of circumstance...but damn...he seems to always find himself in the middle of something bad...
guaranteed that contract will be laced with behavior and conduct clauses....

SteelerFanInCA
06-20-2006, 04:15 PM
I can't see us giving up on Holmes so fast. Our coaches\players have not really had a chance to break him in just yet.

section514
06-20-2006, 04:20 PM
last time I checked he wasn't convicted yet

Maidenarcher
06-20-2006, 11:51 PM
Personally,

I am tired of hearing about the NFL funding thugs to become nothing more than rich thugs. I don't care how great they are as a player. There are too many of them playing in the NFL and there should be no tolerance. That is not coming from the perspective as a football fan, but just a decent human being. Holmes may not be a bad apple, and hopefully he can get himself together. However, like everyone else is saying he sure isn't starting off on the right foot and doesn't seem to appreciate the opportunity he is being given.....The Steelers don't need any bad press and the team and us as fans should present ourselves better than anyone else.... cause ya know wat? WE ARE!!!!!!!!!

Steel Pit
06-21-2006, 04:31 AM
I was just thinking and thought "What if dat woman who called on the police is a gold digger?" You know. Since Holmes would probably land on multimillion $ contract, you know. :cool:

What I do know is that she already has his child so I think that she will be receiving a pretty FAT child support check even before factoring in the beating.