View Full Version : Woodley: Hamstring will be issue rest of the season

mesaSteeler
12-04-2011, 09:25 PM
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Woodley: Hamstring will be issue rest of the season

By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, December 4, 2011

LaMarr Woodley is hopeful he will play Thursday night after sitting out the final three quarters today at Heinz Field.

But the Steelers' outside linebacker said his hamstring will likely be an issue the rest of the season, necessitating some sort of platoon with Jason Worilds at left outside linebacker.

"You've got to be smart about the hamstring injuries and can't play the entire game anyway," Woodley said after the Steelers' 35-7 win over the Bengals. "It's a rotation that's probably going to be going on the rest of the year."

Woodley said he and Worilds were supposed to share snaps today, his first game back after missing the Steelers' previous three contests.

Woodley said his hamstring got "tired," and that the Steelers played it safe with him, especially after they started pulling away from the Bengals.

"I plan on going out there and playing again on Thursday but you have to take the (cautious) approach," said Woodley, who leads the Steelers with nine sacks. "Fresh off these hamstring injuries you're not going to go out there and be able to play 80 snaps. It's just not possible at this time."

A short week for the Steelers won't help Woodley they host the Browns on Thursday night but coach Mike Tomlin said, "he might be in play" for the game.

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432

Read more: Woodley: Hamstring will be issue rest of the season - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_770392.html#ixzz1fcwKNzHN

tony hipchest
12-04-2011, 10:13 PM
i think theyre blowing smoke. i dont expect much out of woodley for the rest of the regular season. seems pretty obvious he wasnt ready to be out on the field today.

IowaSteeler927
12-05-2011, 03:31 AM
Takes some pressure of Harrison and it forces the other team to have to account for him in their game plan. I agree they're just blowing smoke. We probably won't see him in large doses until the playoffs.

LayingTheWoodley56
12-05-2011, 10:00 AM
If he couldn't get through the game yesterday after a month off, why in the world would we rush him back four days later for a Thursday night home game against an inferior opponent? Shut him down and let him sit until we go to San Fran at least.

And to think I was holding out hope he would play when I went to the game Nov. 6 against the Ravens.

Rick5895
12-05-2011, 10:23 AM
If he couldn't get through the game yesterday after a month off, why in the world would we rush him back four days later for a Thursday night home game against an inferior opponent? Shut him down and let him sit until we go to San Fran at least.

And to think I was holding out hope he would play when I went to the game Nov. 6 against the Ravens.

If Woodley didn't re-injure the hammy yesterday (he says it was just tired) he needs to be in the games even for a few plays, so he can catch up to the speed of the game. If not he may well be a non- factor come playoff time.

tanda10506
12-05-2011, 10:54 AM
We got decent pressure on the QB without him yesterday, but overall the pass rush has been stagnant since he's been out. I think in a playoff game against a good team like the pats or rats he is a must for us to win. We have to pressure Brady and Flacco to win those games and without Woodley the pressure will not be enough IMO. If they play him a few plays against the Browns to work him back into the pace of the game then that's fine, but he doesn't need to rush back for the Browns.

truesteelerfan
12-05-2011, 01:38 PM
I'd rest him whenever possible- even if they were full of BS by sitting him out so much yesterday....was it reinjured or just "tired" I don't care....but rest him when they can such as when we pulled away yesterday-so he can be as ready to go as possible for the playoffs.

Fire Arians
12-05-2011, 01:42 PM
rest him more if he needs it, worilds has been playing good enough in his place. he's no woodley, but he hasn't been playing bad.

tony hipchest
12-05-2011, 01:50 PM
if his hammy got tired after just a series or 2 it means he wasnt 100% and ready to go.

andra johnson has been out since the steelers played the texans. he played yesterday and undergoing another MRI today with his injured hammy.

hate to see hte same going on with woodley.

DanRooney
12-05-2011, 02:05 PM
There's no way Tomlin will let Woodley play against the Browns on a short week. Rest him up and hopefully he'll be ready to go against SF.

steelfury02
12-05-2011, 03:31 PM
i want him ready for the playoffs, but as stated, if he has little to no playing time - his first game back doesn't necessarily mean he will be 100% game speed. What that means as far as productivity is spelled out on tape

If I had it my way I'd rotate him in the San Fran game - and build it up so he will be in full time by last game of the season

rich4eagle
12-05-2011, 03:42 PM
The Steelers have not made the playoffs, most of these posts act like that is a given! It is not we have two games against the Browns one against 49ers and St. Louis. They need to win three of these games to be assured a playoff and spot and a hope for homefield advantage.

Right now nobody should be rested, especially a player of Woodley's caliber. It would be great if he got a half of game action against Cleveland and then had it increased in remaining games.

Take things for granted and watch the playoffs on TV! I hope the team is not as overconfident and ready to be trapped as the fans who posted here

pitt0wns
12-07-2011, 01:48 AM
Woodley is over rated

He is not worth what we pay him

ricardisimo
12-07-2011, 02:27 AM
Woodley is over rated

He is not worth what we pay him
And you say this because... ?

DanRooney
12-07-2011, 04:50 AM
Woodley is a great player but I think he's a bit overpaid as well. But there's not much you can do about it since he's in his prime and he severely outplayed his rookie deal. My problem with him is he's too hot and cold. When he's hot, he plays as good or if not better than Harrison, but when he's cold, he barely shows up on the stat sheet.

steelfury02
12-07-2011, 07:43 AM
Hey I was first in line asking "where the hell is Woodley at?" and "He got paid now perform"

The more I am seeing this hammy injury pop up across the league, the more I believe that the lockout has had to do with a lot of things - slow starts, nagging injuries and unconditioned players that have hit a wall or will hit one at the most inopportune time. I didn't want to believe it at first and saw it as an excuse because I thought our Steelers were above things like that - and maybe in time, they will prove to be and maybe already are.

The only thing I think the analysts have had right is that the great teams will find ways to persevere in this odd season and the Steelers are in the middle of doing that.

Lastly, let's not forget that a lot of teams have adjusted to our defense thus Woodley has had more roles than just rushing the QB/creating pressure. I didn't want to look at it that way and his monster day against Brady reinforced the belief that he should just be a sack machine. When healthy - I believe he has the best chance out of anybody not named Harrison of getting to the QB but like any great defensive player they will game plan for him - the other side, even on a bad team does get paid too.

Overall, the jury is still out on Woodley IMHO as far as his career here. Joey Porter had burst on the scene and then slowly faded away. I'm waiting to see which direction Woodley goes. Does that mean I hold Woodley and Porter in the same class? No. I'm just saying he was a key part of the XLIII squad BUT has a long way to go to be mentioned as a mainstay like Bettis, Hines, Troy, Ben, etc.

FanSince72
12-07-2011, 08:38 AM
...Lastly, let's not forget that a lot of teams have adjusted to our defense thus Woodley has had more roles than just rushing the QB/creating pressure. I didn't want to look at it that way and his monster day against Brady reinforced the belief that he should just be a sack machine. When healthy - I believe he has the best chance out of anybody not named Harrison of getting to the QB but like any great defensive player they will game plan for him - the other side, even on a bad team does get paid too...

That's probably the most important point of all.

Defenses (and Offenses) get "solved" a lot faster these days than they did back in the day and since we are who we are, we tend to top the list of teams to figure out.

I also believe that how quickly or how effectively we get solved has a lot to do with LeBeau, specifically in his almost stubborn way of sticking with a system (zone blitz) that has been done for so long it's actually being taught to many teams and not adapting or changing styles to allow for teams having figured things out. He adheres to the blitz mentality in an era where the quick pass or the "long hand-off" is the rule of the day which is specifically designed to neutralize a blitz and the old "impose your will" philosophy really doesn't work so much these days - not just for us but for any team.

Years ago it often took entire seasons for teams to solve other teams but in today's league, that tends to happen in just a few games - sometimes even within a single game. Being able to change on the fly is far more effective than trying to simply overpower teams with muscle or speed and he needs to admit that the secondary is more important overall these days than a front line filled with snorting linemen and linebackers.

I've seen occasional flashes of change but it needs to be more than occasional (if not constant) if those changes are to have any real effect otherwise they too become something that gets figured out as well.

steelfury02
12-07-2011, 09:10 AM
very nicely put

I'll be interested to see how cornerbacks and safeties evolve in the NFL due to the WRs having a huge advantage. As of now, the elite receivers just look faster, have more endurance and built for strength and speed over the course of an entire game as a whole - they just seem to be the most conditioned to keep the burners on the entire game - whereas DBs seemed to get slower as the game goes on.

Now, that is painting everything with broad strokes but I won't be surprised to see a change in the type of DBs teams are looking for in the draft now

SH-Rock
12-07-2011, 08:24 PM
Rest him until the playoffs. The only big game left is against the 49ers in a week and hopefully we won't need him then.

cubanstogie
12-07-2011, 09:13 PM
The Steelers have not made the playoffs, most of these posts act like that is a given! It is not we have two games against the Browns one against 49ers and St. Louis. They need to win three of these games to be assured a playoff and spot and a hope for homefield advantage.

Right now nobody should be rested, especially a player of Woodley's caliber. It would be great if he got a half of game action against Cleveland and then had it increased in remaining games.

Take things for granted and watch the playoffs on TV! I hope the team is not as overconfident and ready to be trapped as the fans who posted here

if he is not 80 percent which he isn't he should not play with the depth the Steelers have at LB. They will beat the browns without him. He will be needed in playoffs not agains the Stains.