View Full Version : Look who has the number one defense in the NFL

ricardisimo
12-05-2011, 01:43 AM
That's right. The Steelers.
:tt04::tt02::tt::tt03::helmet:
:applaudit::hatsoff::thumbsup::drink:

PhantomJB93
12-05-2011, 01:51 AM
I was thinking earlier, and I know this is getting a bit ahead of ourselves at this point in the season, but I honestly think we might be the only team in the NFL that could beat the Packers this year if we were to see a SB rematch.

The Packers Defense has actually been subpar this year, whereas our offense has been tremendously improved. And while the Packers offense is a well-oiled machine, our defense finally showed against the Patriots it is capable of stopping an elite, spread out passing attack. I think we would actually match up well against them, A LOT better than we did last year at least. (Also, the SB win every three years pattern would still be going strong)

Of course, we need to get through the rest of this season and the playoffs first.

#1LambertFan
12-05-2011, 02:03 AM
Phantom is right. I've been saying it for a while, even before the Pats that we are capable of beating a spread. I think with a healthy team we stand a very good chance of beating anybody in the league. Our defense is capable of securing a lead and our offense can lead us to comebacks against the best defenses. A rematch is plausible but we just need to worry about finishing with a better record than the Ravens right now to give us the best chance

ricardisimo
12-05-2011, 02:09 AM
I wish they'd consider sitting Woodley until the playoffs. If we can become dominant without him, then go into the post-season with him at full strength... wow.

OX1947
12-05-2011, 02:25 AM
Steelers would earn it this year if they were to win it all. Even with the 1 seed, chances are the Steelers would have to go through the Ravens and Pats to the Super Bowl. And then play GB.

ricardisimo
12-05-2011, 02:41 AM
Eight of the top ten offenses are in the NFC.

Seven of the top ten defenses are in the AFC.

I think there's a philosophical question that's going to get answered this year.

sharkweek
12-05-2011, 03:55 AM

I think there's a philosophical question that's going to get answered this year.

that defense wins championships?

or that the best defense is a good offense?

its a cyclical argument...

IowaSteeler927
12-05-2011, 04:37 AM
I like the way they're playing now. They seem to be meshing. They're being cautious with Woodley. Playing him a little is better than not at all. He takes some pressure off of Harrison and it forces the opposing offense to account for him. I would also like to see him shake a little bit of the rust off before the playoffs. Great game today. I thought outside of the Patriots game that it's the most dominant performance they have had. The defense is playing much better against the pass compared to last year and I share the opinion of Phantom taht I think our D could really match up well against the Packers O.

Curtain_of_Steel
12-05-2011, 04:45 PM
Barring of course the Chargers forfeiting tonights game.

Anyone know? :tt02: :applaudit:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

stb_steeler
12-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Sure as hell aint GreenBay

bubbletownwr88
12-05-2011, 05:13 PM
I hate to say it but i think it's probably Baltimore

steelfury02
12-05-2011, 05:51 PM
hmmmm

ricardisimo
12-05-2011, 06:16 PM
Already posted.

Curtain_of_Steel
12-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Its like pulling teeth to get an the correct answer, lol Was the link not working?lol

ricardisimo
12-05-2011, 06:20 PM
Part of your problem is exactly what I said: this is a duplicate thread, and therefore "old news".

ETL
12-05-2011, 11:32 PM
that defense wins championships?

or that the best defense is a good offense?

its a cyclical argument...

One thing that you are leaving out is the evolution of refereeing and the influence that Goodell has on the rules of football.

With more and more calls being made on the defense, the balance of power may have tilted to the offense and now offenses with the help of a few pass interference and defensive holding penalties may now win championships.

ETL
12-05-2011, 11:35 PM

AFC has 2 teams that play in domes and NFC has 7 teams that play in domes.

When weather is not a factor - teams get pass happy.

LVSteelersfan
12-05-2011, 11:49 PM
I am going on record right now to say that Green Bay WILL NOT make the Super Bowl. They will in no way be able to stop Drew Brees and the Saints. If they go undefeated in the regular season, they will be toast come playoff time. Their defense will get absolutely torched by the Saints. So it is irrelevant if we can beat Green Bay or not. The Saints can outgun the Packers and are probably the only team that can.

4xSBChamps
12-05-2011, 11:50 PM

"... yes... uh-huh... yes, you heard me right...

... effective immediately, all defenses are forbidden...

... fans want to see 56-49 games... trust-me...

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/Goodellonthephone.jpg

... one-more-thing...

... fine James Harrison while your at it..."

Fire Arians
12-05-2011, 11:50 PM
I am going on record right now to say that Green Bay WILL NOT make the Super Bowl. They will in no way be able to stop Drew Brees and the Saints. If they go undefeated in the regular season, they will be toast come playoff time. Their defense will get absolutely torched by the Saints. So it is irrelevant if we can beat Green Bay or not. The Saints can outgun the Packers and are probably the only team that can.

at lambeau though? if it was in the dome i'd agree with you.

steve314
12-06-2011, 04:14 AM
Barring of course the Chargers forfeiting tonights game.

Anyone know? :tt02: :applaudit:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense

Why judge a defense on yards rather than points?

MDSteel15
12-06-2011, 08:40 AM
at lambeau though? if it was in the dome i'd agree with you.

^^^^^ +1 :hatsoff:

steve314
12-06-2011, 04:51 PM
Unfortunately, a different team comes out on top if you use numbers adjusted for strength of schedule.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

stb_steeler
12-06-2011, 05:03 PM

I think its fare to say, i dont know which of the 2 id prefer to play....Maybe a rematch? :noidea:

ricardisimo
12-06-2011, 05:06 PM
Unfortunately, a different team comes out on top if you use numbers adjusted for strength of schedule.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef
Yeah, Baltimore definitely needs a "strength-of-schedule" sliding scale to emphasize their powerhouse performances against offensive behemoths Seattle, Tennessee and Jacksonville. Whatever allows us to avoid reality.

BengalDestroyer
12-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Yeah, Baltimore definitely needs a "strength-of-schedule" sliding scale to emphasize their powerhouse performances against offensive behemoths Seattle, Tennessee and Jacksonville. Whatever allows us to avoid reality.

Heehee:tt:

steelerchad
12-06-2011, 07:30 PM
The fact that the Steelers are #1 in yardage is actually pretty amazing. Even though they've had a few turnovers lately, they were on a record low pace at forcing turnovers for most of the season. They are currently still a -6 in turnover ratio and have only forced 12 turnovers all year.
This turnover thing is starting to turn. If this D starts forcing mistakes they may make a huge run.

steve314
12-06-2011, 09:38 PM

Good point. The difference is not just the strength of schedule. Football Outsiders uses a more complicated formula to rate offenses and defenses than just yards. I'm sure forcing turnovers is part of their rating for defense. Turnovers are part of reality.

ricardisimo
12-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Good point. The difference is not just the strength of schedule. Football Outsiders uses a more complicated formula to rate offenses and defenses than just yards. I'm sure forcing turnovers is part of their rating for defense. Turnovers are part of reality.
Not if they don't affect the final outcome. Wins and losses are the only reality worth speaking of here, and both teams are 9-3. Also both have played many of the same opponents, which makes it different from comparing us to, say, the Texans or 49ers.

We have the better defense. Period.

steve314
12-07-2011, 02:45 AM
Not if they don't affect the final outcome. Wins and losses are the only reality worth speaking of here, and both teams are 9-3. Also both have played many of the same opponents, which makes it different from comparing us to, say, the Texans or 49ers.

We have the better defense. Period.

I'm just trying to figure out what the objective basis is for that statement. Yards are the thing to use, because we are ahead on that, but turnovers and points are not, because we aren't? Yes, both teams are 9-3 and it looks like both defenses are about the same (based on points or wins) but whatever. The Steeler's worst game was game 1, so if you throw that one out and look at more recent data maybe you could justify it that way, which D is playing better over the last few weeks.

ricardisimo
12-07-2011, 03:17 AM
I'm just trying to figure out what the objective basis is for that statement. Yards are the thing to use, because we are ahead on that, but turnovers and points are not, because we aren't? Yes, both teams are 9-3 and it looks like both defenses are about the same (based on points or wins) but whatever. The Steeler's worst game was game 1, so if you throw that one out and look at more recent data maybe you could justify it that way, which D is playing better over the last few weeks.
It's not rocket science. If we've played all the same (or at least mostly the same) opponents, and we both wind up with the same record - like right now, for example - then judging us by yards allowed is perfectly fair. And let's face it: 99 times out of 100 yards equals points. It's not like Green Bay and New Orleans are only producing one but not the other.

There are many, many ways for you to look at the stats and determine that the Steelers are not the best, that they are in fact average, or even awful. But that takes effort. The simplest route is most likely to produce the truth. Just look at the defensive rankings and you'll see that the Steelers rock, yet again. Surprise, surprise.

steve314
12-07-2011, 03:40 AM
It's not rocket science. If we've played all the same (or at least mostly the same) opponents, and we both wind up with the same record - like right now, for example - then judging us by yards allowed is perfectly fair. And let's face it: 99 times out of 100 yards equals points. It's not like Green Bay and New Orleans are only producing one but not the other.

There are many, many ways for you to look at the stats and determine that the Steelers are not the best, that they are in fact average, or even awful. But that takes effort. The simplest route is most likely to produce the truth. Just look at the defensive rankings and you'll see that the Steelers rock, yet again. Surprise, surprise.

The easiest way is to look at the standings, to check the points allowed--that doesn't take much effort--rather than assuming that yards and points are correlated, so we should look at yards and assume low yards-->low points. Why not just check the points? It's a lot simpler to count points vs yards. Looking at yards by itself is a bit pointless, so to speak.

bornaSteelersfan
12-07-2011, 04:02 AM
I have checked all the stats. Steelers and Ravens D's are pretty even in most categories. The biggest difference I see is that the Ravens give up quite a bit more passing yards than the Steelers. I know the Ravens are going to have some problems with the Bengals and especially the Chargers because of it. I think our D is a bit more balanced overall. The interesting part is that the Texans have a bit better stats than anyone on D. I would have to say Texans #1, Steelers #2, and Ravens #3

steelfury02
12-07-2011, 08:18 AM
The one thing no one is talking about is that the Ravens have never had to face a spread attack in a huge game.

If the Ravens face the Packers or Saints in the SB they would most def. not be "as ready" for it IMHO. All their guy knows how to do is blitz - they are not good man press team

DanRooney
12-07-2011, 08:27 AM
I have checked all the stats. Steelers and Ravens D's are pretty even in most categories. The biggest difference I see is that the Ravens give up quite a bit more passing yards than the Steelers. I know the Ravens are going to have some problems with the Bengals and especially the Chargers because of it. I think our D is a bit more balanced overall. The interesting part is that the Texans have a bit better stats than anyone on D. I would have to say Texans #1, Steelers #2, and Ravens #3

I would say the 49ers have the best D in the NFL.

ricardisimo
12-07-2011, 12:54 PM

We should find out in a few weeks.

Fire Arians
12-07-2011, 01:05 PM

their offense is donkey balls though.

RichardCullinanForever
12-07-2011, 01:19 PM
their offense is donkey balls though.

Yeah, their offense finally got a taste of an AFC (and non NFC West) defense on Thanksgiving. They honestly looked like a high school offense out there. It would be a disgrace if we lost to that team. Their D is good, I'll give them that AND they were playing on the road in a playoff-like atmosphere. But If we allow any more than 2 TD's against that disgraceful offense then we don't deserve to even have a shot at the division... which we won't because no way the Ravens are dropping any more than one game the rest of the way.

Rick5895
12-07-2011, 02:17 PM
Yeah, their offense finally got a taste of an AFC (and non NFC West) defense on Thanksgiving. They honestly looked like a high school offense out there. It would be a disgrace if we lost to that team. Their D is good, I'll give them that AND they were playing on the road in a playoff-like atmosphere. But If we allow any more than 2 TD's against that disgraceful offense then we don't deserve to even have a shot at the division... which we won't because no way the Ravens are dropping any more than one game the rest of the way.

So, just to confirm, you think if the niners score say..17points on the Steelers then the Steelers don't deserve the division, even though we may win the game, maybe, 28-17. Also, can you clarify... If the Ratbirds lose one more game they will still win the division, so then you see us losing another, who do you see beating us ...Browns, rams or niners, which team?

Some people are just so fixated on being negative , no matter what the Steelers do there is no pleasing them. Geez!:banging:

steelfury02
12-07-2011, 02:52 PM
The Ravens only beat them 16-6 at M&T - I think it would be tough to hold them from scoring at least 1 touchdown in their stadium

I'm going to say we win 24-14

RichardCullinanForever
12-07-2011, 06:05 PM
So, just to confirm, you think if the niners score say..17points on the Steelers then the Steelers don't deserve the division, even though we may win the game, maybe, 28-17. Also, can you clarify... If the Ratbirds lose one more game they will still win the division, so then you see us losing another, who do you see beating us ...Browns, rams or niners, which team?

Some people are just so fixated on being negative , no matter what the Steelers do there is no pleasing them. Geez!:banging:

As I pointed out, they Niners DO have a very physical defense, particularly their D-line. That paired with the crowd noise leads me to suspect that the Steelers won't put up 28 points. I'm not saying they won't, I would love for our offense to surprise me with 4 TD's (I will be at the game and their is nothing better than your team lighting it up on offense while you're in attendance), but I see us scoring more like 17, 21, or if we're lucky, 24 points. The reason I said we don't deserve the division if we let up more than 14 points is because if the Niners score more than 14, I think we lose the game (i.e. I don't see us scoring a whole lot of points). I honestly have no idea what you're second to last sentence means. The Steelers will win the remaining 4 games, and WORST case we will lose to the Niners (a game we should absolutely win, the NFL always hypes up these average teams), that will put us at 12-4 and I believe the Rats will finish at 12-4 regardless of what we do. I see them losing in San Diego (and/or at Cinci). I'm not negative, you just perceived my comments as being negative, so in fact maybe it is your suppressed negativity coming to the surface. My main point was that the Niners offense is soft (to say the least), and it's the time of year where you need to win the damn games that you should win. If we lose to the Niners we will not, and should not, get a first round bye nor a home playoff game.... but we will not lose. Hows that for negativity :wink02:

finesward
12-07-2011, 08:30 PM
must wine! Can no lose?

bornaSteelersfan
12-07-2011, 11:12 PM

The 49ers have the best D against the run for sure and haven't given up a single rushing TD yet this year. Their pass protection is suspect, though. I know they have had quite a few INT's, but mostly against inferior teams (3 against AZ). I would say give them the #4 spot.

Steel Peon
12-07-2011, 11:50 PM

The answer is that Goodell wants the old football addage to now read: "Offense sells tickets, and uh, oh yeah, now it also wins ballgames."

4xSBChamps
12-08-2011, 05:10 AM
The answer is that Goodell wants the old football addage to now read: "Offense sells tickets, and uh, oh yeah, now it also wins ballgames."

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y272/Glensgages/football/Goodellonthephone.jpg

"... FINE Steel Peon $50,000..."

Rick5895
12-08-2011, 05:50 AM
As I pointed out, they Niners DO have a very physical defense, particularly their D-line. That paired with the crowd noise leads me to suspect that the Steelers won't put up 28 points. I'm not saying they won't, I would love for our offense to surprise me with 4 TD's (I will be at the game and their is nothing better than your team lighting it up on offense while you're in attendance), but I see us scoring more like 17, 21, or if we're lucky, 24 points. The reason I said we don't deserve the division if we let up more than 14 points is because if the Niners score more than 14, I think we lose the game (i.e. I don't see us scoring a whole lot of points). I honestly have no idea what you're second to last sentence means. The Steelers will win the remaining 4 games, and WORST case we will lose to the Niners (a game we should absolutely win, the NFL always hypes up these average teams), that will put us at 12-4 and I believe the Rats will finish at 12-4 regardless of what we do. I see them losing in San Diego (and/or at Cinci). I'm not negative, you just perceived my comments as being negative, so in fact maybe it is your suppressed negativity coming to the surface. My main point was that the Niners offense is soft (to say the least), and it's the time of year where you need to win the damn games that you should win. If we lose to the Niners we will not, and should not, get a first round bye nor a home playoff game.... but we will not lose. Hows that for negativity :wink02:

which we won't because no way the Ravens are dropping any more than one game the rest of the way.

Since I seemed to have confused you, here is what you said aid in your opening post. All I'm asking is if the Ratbirds lose one more game who do we lose to? You seem to think even if the Birds lose one more we still won't win the division.
IN your second post you say we won't lose again this season, if the Ratbirds lose one and we don't we win the division and have top seed in playoffs. I wouldn't say we don't deserve the division title or a home play off game if we lose to the Niners on their turf. They have a quality RB, TE (which we usually have difficulty covering) and a great return man in Ginn. They play with great emotion on defense although I really don't see them being able to contain our WR's. I think 27 or 28 points for us is a real possibility, but that doesn't necessarily mean all scored on offense. As you say the Niners O is awful (soft) no reason we can't score a TD on D or a return TD on ST.

steelfury02
12-08-2011, 09:07 AM
The ultimate question is - was the Niners D that good that they held the Ravens to 16 pts at M&T OR was it that Flacco has just been that inconsistent plus coming off a short week of preparation?

Regardless of record, division status, who we lost to, etc, etc - the offense the Steelers have been putting on the field the past couple games has looked a lot more impressive than the Ravens O - and they had the benefit of playing the Niners at home on Thanksgiving night and still couldn't open things up against them.

RichardCullinanForever
12-08-2011, 12:45 PM
which we won't because no way the Ravens are dropping any more than one game the rest of the way.

Since I seemed to have confused you, here is what you said aid in your opening post. All I'm asking is if the Ratbirds lose one more game who do we lose to? You seem to think even if the Birds lose one more we still won't win the division.
IN your second post you say we won't lose again this season, if the Ratbirds lose one and we don't we win the division and have top seed in playoffs. I wouldn't say we don't deserve the division title or a home play off game if we lose to the Niners on their turf. They have a quality RB, TE (which we usually have difficulty covering) and a great return man in Ginn. They play with great emotion on defense although I really don't see them being able to contain our WR's. I think 27 or 28 points for us is a real possibility, but that doesn't necessarily mean all scored on offense. As you say the Niners O is awful (soft) no reason we can't score a TD on D or a return TD on ST.

If the Ravens lose one more game, and we win out, we will take the division and the #1 seed (NE will be tied at 13-3 but we have the tiebreaker, no way in hell Houston is going to finish 13-3 with a 3rd string QB). Who do we lose to, you ask? Well I honestly don't think we will lose to anyone else this season. But if we WERE to play a cruddy game, I could see that happening in SF, but my point is that there is no reason for it. It would be one thing if we were traveling to NO or GB, but I don't think SF plays anywhere near the level of those two teams. If we play smart, no stupid turnovers, and good redzone efficiency, I think we win by more than one possession. All this talk about SF, let's just win the damn game tonight first.

Rick5895
12-08-2011, 01:05 PM
you're the one who brought them up!!

ricardisimo
12-08-2011, 02:12 PM
must wine! Can no lose?
Oh, no!!!! You've jinxed us!!!

steelfury02
12-08-2011, 05:29 PM
anyone see McCoy's locker room interview - the guy has already packed it in and is praying to get out of this game alive lol

Talk about deer in headlights - they have not done a good job surrounding him with weapons and the only one they have is talking his way out of town