PDA

View Full Version : Listen to what this guy said to me at the bar yesterday while watching the game

LayingTheWoodley56
12-05-2011, 09:20 AM
Me and my girlfriend have a tradition here in Albany, N.Y. where we go to school - every Sunday, we pick a new place to watch the game at. Yesterday's choice was a sort of seedy dive bar that we've always been apprehensive about going to. Food was good, so it ended up being a decent choice. But I digress.

There was a guy in there, probably in his 30s, wearing a Farrior jersey and a six-time Super Bowl champions beanie. Sounds like a pretty big fan, right, making the effort to watch the game decked out in all black and gold? In the second quarter, the guy turns to me and says "Where's Willie?" I said to him "Willie who?", thinking maybe he meant Colon. Nope. This guy was wondering where Willie Parker was. I ask you: how is this even possible that your at a bar watching the Steelers in a Steelers jersey and you don't know that the guy you think is the starting halfback hasn't been around in two years. Suffice to say it was awkward when I had to explain to him that Willie is no longer with us.

steelfury02
12-05-2011, 09:23 AM
can I ask how old this fellow was?

Getting old is a real beeyotch. Maybe he's the local crazy?

kirklandrules
12-05-2011, 09:35 AM
can I ask how old this fellow was?

Getting old is a real beeyotch. Maybe he's the local crazy?

And he got his outfit from the Goodwill.:chuckle:

LayingTheWoodley56
12-05-2011, 09:43 AM
If he was older I maybe would have felt bad for him, but he couldn't have been older than 35 or so. As for the outfit, I don't believe that Goodwill stocks Farrior jerseys. If they did I would've picked one up by now haha

kirklandrules
12-05-2011, 09:48 AM
I ask you: how is this even possible that your at a bar watching the Steelers in a Steelers jersey and you don't know that the guy you think is the starting halfback hasn't been around in two years.

Drugs and/or head injuries can have an amazing impact on one's critical thinking skills and the ability to recall important historical fact (like the status of players on your favorite team). Hell, Arians doesn't believe in having a FB on the squad, but he takes a TE and hopes he learns to block in the backfield ... and he has stated he hates rookies. :bonk:

Suffice to say it was awkward when I had to explain to him that Willie is no longer with us.

You probably should have told him the entire truth ... his NFL days are over.

steelfury02
12-05-2011, 09:49 AM
Yea - ignorance is bliss with those crazy people - you might have just crushed his dreams lol

"Willie? WILLIE? WHY WILLIE? WHHHHHHHHHY!?!?!?!?"

LayingTheWoodley56
12-05-2011, 09:52 AM
Hahaha well it doesn't seem like he's very up to date on his Steeler football so I would imagine that he probably wouldn't know what Willie's performance was like and wonder why we got rid of him. I liked him as a person, he could break off a home run 80-yarder every now and then, but overall he was just not a very good NFL running back.

steelfury02
12-05-2011, 09:54 AM
the only thing I enjoyed about Parker was that he knew he was at his best burning it around the ends - that was fun to watch. Thankfully for Mendy, he is a little more built than Parker was.

Tomlin's stubbornness while trying to put his mark on this team, combined with Parker's whining and supposed coke use was his downfall

FanSince72
12-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Me and my girlfriend have a tradition here in Albany, N.Y. where we go to school - every Sunday, we pick a new place to watch the game at. Yesterday's choice was a sort of seedy dive bar that we've always been apprehensive about going to. Food was good, so it ended up being a decent choice. But I digress.

There was a guy in there, probably in his 30s, wearing a Farrior jersey and a six-time Super Bowl champions beanie. Sounds like a pretty big fan, right, making the effort to watch the game decked out in all black and gold? In the second quarter, the guy turns to me and says "Where's Willie?" I said to him "Willie who?", thinking maybe he meant Colon. Nope. This guy was wondering where Willie Parker was. I ask you: how is this even possible that your at a bar watching the Steelers in a Steelers jersey and you don't know that the guy you think is the starting halfback hasn't been around in two years. Suffice to say it was awkward when I had to explain to him that Willie is no longer with us.

The next time you run into someone like that, you sit down with them, put a hand on their shoulder, give them a very serious look and quietly ask: "Did you ever think of how your life might have turned out if you'd actually HAD enough oxygen at birth?"

They usually go away after that.

kirklandrules
12-05-2011, 10:08 AM
Hahaha well it doesn't seem like he's very up to date on his Steeler football so I would imagine that he probably wouldn't know what Willie's performance was like and wonder why we got rid of him. I liked him as a person, he could break off a home run 80-yarder every now and then, but overall he was just not a very good NFL running back.

I thought Willie was a good NFL running back ... Tomlin just ran the wheels off the guy. After breaking his leg, he just wasn't the same RB. But don't let his last year in the 'Burgh taint the good years he had for the team.

LayingTheWoodley56
12-05-2011, 10:23 AM
I agree that Willie did have some nice moments for us. Injuries did their part to derail him, and he did have physical defiencies related to his size that there was really nothing he could do about. Can't take away his 75-yard SBXL run away from him, who knows where that game ends up if he doesn't stake us out to that 14-3 lead to start the half.

vasteeler
12-05-2011, 10:26 AM
you should have said " he and deuce were injured this week. they both should be back next week".

Fire Arians
12-05-2011, 10:36 AM
he shoulda asked where's lambert? he's the best ever!

steelfury02
12-05-2011, 10:48 AM
crap - the guy mind find out that Baltimore actually has a serviceable QB who might give us fits.

Its not looking good - better hope he finds a crisis hotline lol

steelfury02
12-05-2011, 10:50 AM
OR maybe he's a fan from an alternate 2011 season - you know, like the alternate 1985 in Back to the Future Pt 2 where Russ Grimm is the head coach.

Oh crap, what a nightmare that would be . . .

LayingTheWoodley56
12-05-2011, 10:52 AM
you should have said " he and deuce were injured this week. they both should be back next week".

Hahaha I said about the same thing to one of my friends: this guy probably thinks that Bettis is just out with an injury this week.

stairway27
12-05-2011, 11:05 AM
Some people are just ignorant. I live in Redskin/Ratbird country, and just last year, I was working with a Ratbird fan who told me that he used to hate the Redskins, but now he respects them, because Joe Gibbs is back. He told me that he expects Gibbs to lead them to the playoffs this year...

kirklandrules
12-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Some people are just ignorant. I live in Redskin/Ratbird country, and just last year, I was working with a Ratbird fan who told me that he used to hate the Redskins, but now he respects them, because Joe Gibbs is back. He told me that he expects Gibbs to lead them to the playoffs this year...

Your response: "Gibbs!!!!!??????? When the hell did they get rid of George Allen!!!!??? Turn you back for 1 minute and the world stands on end! Anyways, Gibbs should stick to keeping the Bee Gees together after losing his little brother Andy."

Whodis
12-05-2011, 11:56 AM
I was wondering why Timmy Lester wasn't in at fullback yesterday

Fire Arians
12-05-2011, 12:19 PM
who the hell's this waffle-burgers guy, put bubby brister in!

SoCalFan
12-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Maybe he was insinuating wheres Willy "WHEN WE NEED HIM?" Oh wait,the running game did well yesterday! That is some funny chit!

DanRooney
12-05-2011, 01:48 PM

You should have known he wasn't a real fan when you saw him wearing a Farrior jersey.

LayingTheWoodley56
12-05-2011, 01:55 PM
You should have known he wasn't a real fan when you saw him wearing a Farrior jersey.

Woah, woah, woah, WOAH! What is that supposed to mean? If that's a criticism on James I'm going to have to defend the guy who by all accounts is the emotional heart and soul of our defense and someone who all the younger guys look up to, as well as my personal favorite defensive Steeler. He's been an excellent middle lineback for us for ten years, with a near defensive player of the year season in 2004. He's been the captain of two Super Bowl winning defenses and a third one that went to the Super Bowl. Any real Steeler fan would be proud to wear a 51 on their chest and if you disagree sir I have to call into question just how real of a fan you are, with all respect. I know he's lost a step this year and he probably is a weak link in the middle of the field sometimes at this point but that doesn't erase all he's done.

Can I ask why your criticizing him?

LayingTheWoodley56
12-05-2011, 01:56 PM
not to take this humorous thread in a negative direction

DanRooney
12-05-2011, 02:01 PM
Woah, woah, woah, WOAH! What is that supposed to mean? If that's a criticism on James I'm going to have to defend the guy who by all accounts is the emotional heart and soul of our defense and someone who all the younger guys look up to, as well as my personal favorite defensive Steeler. He's been an excellent middle lineback for us for ten years, with a near defensive player of the year season in 2004. He's been the captain of two Super Bowl winning defenses and a third one that went to the Super Bowl. Any real Steeler fan would be proud to wear a 51 on their chest and if you disagree sir I have to call into question just how real of a fan you are, with all respect. I know he's lost a step this year and he probably is a weak link in the middle of the field sometimes at this point but that doesn't erase all he's done.

Can I ask why your criticizing him?

:popcorn:

Simmer down buddy. A little sarcasm with a hint of present day truth. Farrior has been great up until 2009. I have criticism with him that I had with Ward for the past year. He's too old and slow to be a starter on this team. I hope we grab an ILB to replace him in the draft.

LayingTheWoodley56
12-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Sorry to flair up like that, just a little disagreement between two fans. I get a little protective over my boys sometimes and James has always been a favorite of mine so I got a little riled up briefly.

I do agree that he has significantly slowed at this point, and that this most likely should be his last season. I hope we can win a title for him and Hines and they can leave as champions. Have to imagine they'd both retire if we won it all this year, for sure.

We do have to draft an inside backer, or maybe the solution lies in house, maybe Sylvester will develop into a starting-caliber player or with Harrison looking like he has at least a few more years in him, and Woodley firmly entrenched, could Worilds be molded into an inside backer? I don't know the answer to that question, if they've ever discussed that possibility.

steelfury02
12-05-2011, 03:21 PM
Did you see that great game Franco Harris had for the Seahawks the other day?

DanRooney
12-05-2011, 03:40 PM
Sorry to flair up like that, just a little disagreement between two fans. I get a little protective over my boys sometimes and James has always been a favorite of mine so I got a little riled up briefly.

I do agree that he has significantly slowed at this point, and that this most likely should be his last season. I hope we can win a title for him and Hines and they can leave as champions. Have to imagine they'd both retire if we won it all this year, for sure.

We do have to draft an inside backer, or maybe the solution lies in house, maybe Sylvester will develop into a starting-caliber player or with Harrison looking like he has at least a few more years in him, and Woodley firmly entrenched, could Worilds be molded into an inside backer? I don't know the answer to that question, if they've ever discussed that possibility.

I really like Sylvester's motor. But to be on the safe side, I'd probably grab another ILB just in case. Farrior/Foote (or possibly both) will be gone next year and this draft has 4 first round ILB prospects. I can't really see us drafting anything else outside of guard maybe in the first. There are no first round safety prospects either.

ETL
12-05-2011, 10:21 PM
Come to think of it ... Where is willie?

Bayz101
12-06-2011, 12:11 AM
:popcorn:

Simmer down buddy. A little sarcasm with a hint of present day truth. Farrior has been great up until 2009. I have criticism with him that I had with Ward for the past year. He's too old and slow to be a starter on this team. I hope we grab an ILB to replace him in the draft.

Nothing of what you said is the truth. Farrior leads all of our LB's in tackles STILL. He led the entire team in tackles all the way up until his injury. I don't give a hoot how old the guy is, if he consistently leads the entire line backing core all year, and sometimes even the entire defense, no real reason to sit him.

Sure, he's old. But so is Chuck Norris.

StainlessStill
12-06-2011, 12:14 AM
Come to think of it ... Where is willie?

I believe the CFL. He made one last push to re-sign with the Steelers in the off-season but we had no room for an injured player who didn't play all of the 2010 football season with still a little room to get healthy. Wishful thinking on Willie's part but it was pretty cool to see how he wanted to come back here bad.

QCbeauBlak
12-06-2011, 02:15 AM
Nothing of what you said is the truth. Farrior leads all of our LB's in tackles STILL.

Middle linebackers are usually leading tacklers. Especially in a system were the NT's job is to keep interior lineman off MLBers. Farrior looks a whole lot better now than he did earlier this season that's for sure. He came into the season weighing a mere 225 and it showed in his play for the first few weeks. I love James Farrior and all he means to this team. I do think he will be a key defender once it really gets cold and teams start trying to really run on us. But after this year, I wouldn't be upset if Stevenson Sylvester is allowed to give it a go..

QCbeauBlak
12-06-2011, 02:17 AM
As far as that fan.. He might be one of those bandwagoners that other fans always say we have too many of. It sucks but you gotta pull them to the side and set em straight before Mwelde comes in and dude starts shouting AMOS!!

Fire Arians
12-06-2011, 03:00 AM
As far as that fan.. He might be one of those bandwagoners that other fans always say we have too many of. It sucks but you gotta pull them to the side and set em straight before Mwelde comes in and dude starts shouting AMOS!!

haha i don't think bandwagon fans would know famous amos :wink02:

Lord of Lombardi
12-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Did you tell the idiot that WILLIE STARGELL died several years back.

That was no Stiller Fan

Steel Peon
12-07-2011, 09:07 PM
And he got his outfit from the Goodwill.:chuckle:
Ha ha! That's exactly what I was thinking.........er.......uhhhh.......of making a joke........about......that. Not that a Farrior jersey could ever be found at a Goodwill......someone would've had to buy one first! Ohh! Boom! Booyah! Zing! No seriously, just kidding there........only some sarcastic humor, really. I mean, honestly, no one would ever ditch a James "The Winged God of Defense" Farrior jersey at a Goodwill store.......I'm serious......really. No really, I've always loved watching him make huge plays, and it's just that now he's a little easier to poke fun at that's all.

LayingTheWoodley56
12-08-2011, 08:34 AM
Famous Amos! He actually went to high school like five minutes away from my house. I was an Amos fan, but I didn't have the same love for him that I had for FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Fire Arians
12-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Famous Amos! He actually went to high school like five minutes away from my house. I was an Amos fan, but I didn't have the same love for him that I had for FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

i played against fu in a preseason scrimmage, when he went to HS at st. louis. a bunch of our guys left the game with concussions, including myself. i managed to tackle him in the open field but took a knee to the helmet like troy did vs the chiefs. dude was a goddamn truck

we pretty much lost that game by over 30 pts lol.

#1LambertFan
12-08-2011, 03:36 PM
Well I can spend up to a year overseas at a time with no connection to civilization/ football being in the navy. Did he look like a military man because at one point I wondered what happened to Porter.