PDA

View Full Version : Steelers- toughest team in AFC?

NEWstevo
12-05-2011, 03:11 PM
Of the four 9-3 teams in the AFC, the Steelers have lost to the toughest teams. What does this mean? Not much. But still, I guess it means that it takes a better team to beat Pittsburgh than to beat anybody else.

Pittsburgh: The combined losses of the two teams that beat the Steelers is: 9

Baltimore: The combined losses of the three teams that beat the Ravens is: 20

Houston: The combined losses of the three teams that beat the Texans is: 11

New England: The combined losses of the three teams that beat the Patriots is: 16

I didn't have the energy to look up and add the wins of the teams that each team beat. Afterall, its a Monday.

steelfury02
12-05-2011, 03:13 PM
2 words: battle tested

IowaSteeler927
12-06-2011, 06:53 AM
They've fought through adversity. It'll better prepare us for the playoffs.

soulkitchen
12-06-2011, 09:00 AM
Here's the deal. We don't turn the ball over and we don't loose.

FanSince72
12-06-2011, 09:24 AM
"Toughest Team" may be debatable to some but we definitely have the toughest QB hands down.

I was watching the Talking Head Network yesterday and the way they were all talking about Aaron Rogers -- well, let's just say that I hope that they all brought a change of underwear with them (I'd also make sure those chairs were bleached as well).

All I heard were comments about his ability to move in the pocket, to throw on the run and to be able to thread passes into tight spots where only his receiver can catch them and blah, blah, blah....

Nothing against Rogers, but Ben does all of those things too only he does it with a revolving-door O-line, a broken thumb, a bad knee and having to wear a special boot to protect a broken foot. Put another way, if Rogers did his thing with all of Ben's problems and issues, they'd be commissioning statues and naming saints after him.

Take Sunday for example; the "big news" was that Rogers only had a 106 QB rating (Ben had a 117 but that wasn't mentioned at all) and this was analyzed and debated and dissected as if it had some mystical importance and I wondered if many of the Talking Heads might hire a lawyer to sue the league for insulting Rogers with such a low rating. Then there was "The Throw" to Jordy Nelson which (if you were just listening and not watching the video) sounded as if it was the greatest pass ever thrown in the history of the NFL.
Of course if you WERE watching, you'd have seen that Nelson was three yards clear of the DB and the pass was basically what QB's get paid to do and is something that Ben has done many times himself.

I know that the Talking Head Universe is all amped on Rogers and he certainly deserves props for what he's done. My point is that Rogers' success is as much a part of the GB system as it is a result of his own talent whereas Ben's success is mostly about making something out of nothing all while getting the shit knocked out of him in the process.

I think an interesting experiment would be to break Rogers' thumb and foot, twist his knee out of whack and then make him wear a Herman Munster boot on one foot and see if he can still rack up 100+ QB ratings.

vasteeler
12-06-2011, 10:27 AM
hate to say it but rifght know the ravens are the toughest team.....they beat us twice:banging:

steelfury02
12-06-2011, 10:31 AM
yup, they were bound to sweep a series eventually from us. Won't happen for another 5 seasons now lol

I think the Saints are about to steal away the #2 seed from the Niners thanks to recent loss v. Ravens and hopefully, a loss via us.

I think they've played some pretty terrible teams and can't handle the big boys quite yet.

Fire Arians
12-06-2011, 10:40 AM
hate to say it but rifght know the ravens are the toughest team.....they beat us twice:banging:

they got lucky the 2nd time. won't happen again

i82much
12-06-2011, 12:30 PM
Of the four 9-3 teams in the AFC, the Steelers have lost to the toughest teams. What does this mean? Not much. But still, I guess it means that it takes a better team to beat Pittsburgh than to beat anybody else.

New England: The combined losses of the three teams that beat the Patriots is: 16

I didn't have the energy to look up and add the wins of the teams that each team beat. Afterall, its a Monday.

Wow that's an awfully optimistic way to look at things. The same facts also tend to imply that the Steelers/Texans don't win against good teams, no? Mathematically I think you have to assume approximately equal strength of schedule to reach that conclusion, but still I think it's a reasonable statement.

I mean I'm a Ravens fan, I suppose I could look at the regular season so far and think "hey, at least there won't be any teams under .500 in the playoffs." But I think that's a pretty rose-colored view of things. Bottom line is the Steelers haven't beaten many good teams and the Ravens have had trouble with bad teams. Neither one of those is a good thing.

Steelerfreak58
12-06-2011, 01:54 PM
they got lucky the 2nd time. won't happen again

92 yards and a TD in the last 2:42 seconds of the game was lucky? Or how about the clobbering they gave us at the beginning of the season?

Look I hate to tell you this but the Ravens went out and got the personnel to beat the Steelers this last year. They knew that if they were ever going to make it to a SB they would have to beat the Steelers.

I am a fan just like everyone else but I can see where they made moves to find ways to beat the Steelers and some of it showed the last two games. Until then the Ravens have the upper hand.

steelfury02
12-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Now that they have beaten us by leveling the playing field/getting the right personnel to do so - what does it take for the Steelers to counter and gain the upper hand again?

My answer: Red zone efficiency on offense and getting off the field on third down on defense.

Other than the 2 impressive wins against the Steelers, I'd like to say that all feelings of hatred aside - I don't think they have looked like anything special - whether it be against a good team or bad team.

The most impressive thing they've done to me was lay a 9 sack whooping on Smith on Thanksgiving night.

Hey - I give them their due. I was talking a lot of trash, fully expecting the Steelers to get revenge the last game - and they didn't - so good for them. Obviously for them, their rookie WR has been the difference along with Flacco progressing past the deer in the headlights look

Steel Peon
12-06-2011, 02:09 PM
Keep in mind how many rookie QBs we've faced this year........I wouldn't get too excited yet, this team could be a lot better.

StainlessStill
12-06-2011, 02:25 PM
I REALLY don't understand the "moves" the Ravens made to beat the Steelers in the off-season. The first game of the season was a total route that got out of hand early and often. Game #1, barely enough time to even understand what kind of team you got in a locked out year. Going on the road, to a place where it was their time to beat us. So be it, they grabbed us at our worst.

That second game was the epitome of Steelers/Ravens. A 3 point affair that could of went either way in that 3 point swing. One of our missing components that night who was missing was obviously the loss of Woodley, who time and time again PROVED to be one of the difference makers in these key and close matchups.

Other than the emergence of Torrey Smith (the real pickup was Lee Evans for the deep threat) I don't see too much of a huge improvement in this Batlimore team, they just edged us out that second game without one of our leading pass rushers.

These two teams are still neck and neck and it shows, regardless of the sweep. We are even more capable of beating them in round III at 0-2 rather than being 1-1. Just my opinion. Baltimore doesn't scare me none. The one team in the AFC that does is still New England.

Opt2loc
12-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Now that they have beaten us by leveling the playing field/getting the right personnel to do so - what does it take for the Steelers to counter and gain the upper hand again?

My answer: Red zone efficiency on offense and getting off the field on third down on defense.

Other than the 2 impressive wins against the Steelers, I'd like to say that all feelings of hatred aside - I don't think they have looked like anything special - whether it be against a good team or bad team.

The most impressive thing they've done to me was lay a 9 sack whooping on Smith on Thanksgiving night.

Hey - I give them their due. I was talking a lot of trash, fully expecting the Steelers to get revenge the last game - and they didn't - so good for them. Obviously for them, their rookie WR has been the difference along with Flacco progressing past the deer in the headlights look

The true test will come in the playoffs if both teams face each other at close to full strength. Unless we end your season in the playoffs the two wins don't really mean jack when it's all over.

madtowndrunkard
12-06-2011, 03:14 PM
I think you could actually argue that we aren't as good as our record indicates.

We've played some pretty bad teams and barely beat a couple of them. Not to mention we've basically beaten 1 playoff team.

While the Bengals are a surprise to many...they aren't a playoff team IMO.

IMO its' the quality of wins more then the quality of losses that is most important. Meaning who have you beaten?

The Ravens have beaten the Jets, Texans, Steelers X 2, and SanFran. that's 5 wins against playoff quality opponents. We have 1 win.

NE has beaten Dallas, Oakland, and the Jets x 2.

I think the Ravens have a firm grasp as the top team in the AFC. They beat us twice for Christ sake.

I'd rank the AFC.... Ravens #1, Steelers #2, Patriots #3, Texans #4....after that its a crap shoot.

Goldsteel86
12-06-2011, 03:43 PM
I think you could actually argue that we aren't as good as our record indicates.

We've played some pretty bad teams and barely beat a couple of them. Not to mention we've basically beaten 1 playoff team.

While the Bengals are a surprise to many...they aren't a playoff team IMO.

IMO its' the quality of wins more then the quality of losses that is most important. Meaning who have you beaten?

The Ravens have beaten the Jets, Texans, Steelers X 2, and SanFran. that's 5 wins against playoff quality opponents. We have 1 win.

NE has beaten Dallas, Oakland, and the Jets x 2.

I think the Ravens have a firm grasp as the top team in the AFC. They beat us twice for Christ sake.

I'd rank the AFC.... Ravens #1, Steelers #2, Patriots #3, Texans #4....after that its a crap shoot.

Well if you look at it like that, maybe you ought to look at it like this. The sun shines on a dogs a** at least once a day, fact of the matter is week in and week out the Steelers are playing against professionals, guys that are getting paid to do this, do we tell a construction worker who happens to input the rivets right he had a good day? No, that's what we expect, eventually the Steelers were going to get swept, it was inevitable, however the fact of the matter is the way the team is able to rebound. The Ravens have a tendency to blow their load too soon, they seem to tip their cap and show their hand. If I were a "betting man" (which I'm not) I would bet the Ravens don't get past their first playoff game, fact of the matter is every man puts his pants on the same way, one leg at a time, you never know what each day (or Sunday) holds!!

SunshineMan21
12-06-2011, 03:57 PM
I think the Ravens are ahead of us until we beat them head-to-head--they get bragging rights until we see them again, and they have more quality wins.

I think the Texans' QBs woes probably remove them from consideration for the AFC's best team, and the Pats' defense is simply awful. So basically it's us and Baltimore.

That said, right now the Packers obviously deserve the 'best team in the game' mantle until somebody beats them. We may hate all the praise Rodgers is getting, but the fact is his play has been otherworldly--perfect accuracy and mobility with great decision making. The dude deserves the praise.

Goldsteel86
12-06-2011, 04:36 PM
I think the Ravens are ahead of us until we beat them head-to-head--they get bragging rights until we see them again, and they have more quality wins.

I think the Texans' QBs woes probably remove them from consideration for the AFC's best team, and the Pats' defense is simply awful. So basically it's us and Baltimore.

That said, right now the Packers obviously deserve the 'best team in the game' mantle until somebody beats them. We may hate all the praise Rodgers is getting, but the fact is his play has been otherworldly--perfect accuracy and mobility with great decision making. The dude deserves the praise.

I can respect Rodgers' numbers and he has played "lights out" so far, however I have to ask, how much adversity has Rodgers had to play through this season? Does he play behind a "sub-par" line, does he scramble and improvise for every yard he gets? Then lets take a look at their strength of schedule, who, other than the first game of the season against the Saints has GB played???? Lets see, last week they barely beat the Giants, sure Rodgers had his numbers, but you have to ask yourself one question. When are the Packers, alot like the Ravens, one injury away from the end of their hopes? Just imagine, Rodgers goes down, what are the Packers hopes? How about Flacco? At least the Steelers have a veteran back-up who is proven and can win games. Be careful, you are now entering "crunch time" the toughest and best will survive, but don't look past Big Ben, he has been known to make thing happen, even injured, broken thumb and all!!!!!!!

Whodis
12-06-2011, 04:42 PM
If I'm the Rats I wouldn't feel too good about a 3rd match up. I felt the same way when we swept them. The two just match up really well and I think our defense looks better each week.

Not to mention special teams and wide receivers could be a hand full for the Rat secondary (short passes, not the HR's)

RichardCullinanForever
12-06-2011, 04:46 PM

As hard as it would be to argue against the fact that the Packers are the best team in the NFL, if the Steelers were in the SuperBowl right now and I got to choose our opponent, between either the Saints or the Packers, I'd honestly have lots more confidence against the Packers. Our Defense was able to sack Rodgers 3 times. Green Bay wouldn't be as hungry as New Orleans, and aside from 3 crucial mistakes, we were playing toe to toe with them in the SB. I don't think Green Bay is any better this year than they were last year, in fact, I think they're a bit 'worse.' Their defense is pretty soft, and with our offensive weapons I think we could put up a lot of points on them. In short, watch out for the Saints. They might creep up on the nation come January. Just my opinion.

stb_steeler
12-06-2011, 04:54 PM

I agree Rogers and GB are good and deserve alot of praise but, as i recall back in 04 a rookie named Roethlisberger played a 15-1 record (could of been 16-1 due to injury) no one was praising that run anywhere near the GB run this year!

Nevermore
12-06-2011, 08:50 PM

The numbers will always say what you want them to..... Of the teams the Ravens and Steelers have beat, the records are quite different.

Of the teams Pitts has beat: combined record of 48-59

Of the teams Baltimore has beat: combined record of 62-46 (including beating 2 of the three 9-3 teams. One twice!)

So it might take a tough team to beat the Steelers, but Baltimore only beats tough teams (the others we take off to keep it interesting!)

steelerchad
12-06-2011, 08:58 PM
The numbers will always say what you want them to..... Of the teams the Ravens and Steelers have beat, the records are quite different.

Of the teams Baltimore has beat: combined record of 62-46 (including beating 2 of the three 9-3 teams. One twice!)

So it might take a tough team to beat the Steelers, but Baltimore only beats tough teams (the others we take off to keep it interesting!)

All the talk is cheap until it comes playoff time. It looks like both teams will make the tourney. I have faith in my team as you probably do yours. Only one of us can be right though. After years of pain at the hands of the Steelers, maybe this is the Ravens year. I just don't think so. We've got that certain magic about us come big game time. I think the big game domination continues.

ricardisimo
12-06-2011, 09:01 PM

As mentioned numerous times this season, this Ravens team was built primarily to beat the Steelers, and they've succeeded. Beating other teams is more of a crap shoot, especially teams playing a 4-3 defense, as it turns out. I will be positively stunned if Baltimore beats the Bengals in Cincy. I will be less than stunned if the Ravens lose to the likes of Indy or the Browns.

Nevermore
12-06-2011, 09:12 PM
All the talk is cheap until it comes playoff time. It looks like both teams will make the tourney. I have faith in my team as you probably do yours. Only one of us can be right though. After years of pain at the hands of the Steelers, maybe this is the Ravens year. I just don't think so. We've got that certain magic about us come big game time. I think the big game domination continues.

Big games like opening day and prime time in your house after getting smacked in the mouth....

We'll see....

Here's to the playoffs!:drink:

Nevermore
12-06-2011, 09:15 PM
As mentioned numerous times this season, this Ravens team was built primarily to beat the Steelers, and they've succeeded. Beating other teams is more of a crap shoot, especially teams playing a 4-3 defense, as it turns out. I will be positively stunned if Baltimore beats the Bengals in Cincy. I will be less than stunned if the Ravens lose to the likes of Indy or the Browns.

9-3 against one of the tougher schedules in football is a "crap shoot" ?

Jacksonville was a meltdown.

Seattle was due to the playcalling...

But bottom line, if we are built to beat you and winning teams, the playoffs should be a cakewalk.

ricardisimo
12-06-2011, 09:17 PM
9-3 against one of the tougher schedules in football is a "crap shoot" ?

Jacksonville was a meltdown.

Seattle was due to the playcalling... period.
You've got more or less the same schedule we do. We're both 9-3. We've lost to two teams with the same 9-3 record. Can I say the same? Ravens was a meltown. Texans was just playcalling.

Oh, what was Tennessee, by the way?

Nevermore
12-06-2011, 10:15 PM
You've got more or less the same schedule we do. We're both 9-3. We've lost to two teams with the same 9-3 record. Can I say the same? Ravens was a meltown. Texans was just playcalling.

Oh, what was Tennessee, by the way?

We're 2-0 against you and top of the AFCN with ability to clinch number 1 overall.

Talk to me after you beat us.

See you in the playoffs. :drink:

steelerchad
12-06-2011, 10:15 PM
Big games like opening day and prime time in your house after getting smacked in the mouth....

We'll see....

Here's to the playoffs!:drink:

No. Not opening day.

Until the win November 6th, the Steelers had won the 7 biggest games between the 2 teams. I'm talking playoff or division deciding games late in the season. The Steelers have won them all until Nov. 6th. Of course Nov. 6th is still up in the air until the Ravens clinch and make it worth while.

Like 08 on the way to the S.B. in Dec at M&T. Like the AFC title game. Like the playoff game last year. You get what I'm talking about. don't play stupid. Until you beat the Steelers in one of those games, don't even try to talk. I'll give you November this year. Big game. Lots at stake. Problem is, it still don't mean anything until you lock up the division. Like the Steelers did last year. They rode that win to the division, a bye, a win over the Ravens in the playoffs, and a SB appearance.

Ravens got the inside track. Now the question is.... can they close when it really counts. Haven't been able to recently. We'll see.

sharkweek
12-06-2011, 11:13 PM
yup, we've been winning even when we were one of the worst teams in terms of turnover/takeaway ratio, which is typically one of the stats you can always count on to sort out the best teams from the worst. Great example is Green Bay, they're off the charts in takeways to turnovers with most INTs taken and fewest given up, so its not surprising they're 12-0. What is surprising is that we only have 3 losses when we were one of the worst in the league in that turnover battle.

So yeah, now that we're starting to generate some turnovers on defense (Stonehands with back to back INT games :tt02:) and eliminate our own while on offense, I'd say that puts us in even better position in the AFC. No way we lose so bad the first game of the season if we didn't turn the ball over seven times, and our other two losses were very close and might have turned out very different if we were winning the turnover battle like we have been the past few weeks.

SunshineMan21
12-07-2011, 12:55 AM
I agree Rogers and GB are good and deserve alot of praise but, as i recall back in 04 a rookie named Roethlisberger played a 15-1 record (could of been 16-1 due to injury) no one was praising that run anywhere near the GB run this year!

That's because, deservedly or not, much of that record was attributed to our fantastic defense. This year Green Bay is doing it despite a pretty mediocre defense--their offense is just outstanding.

I'm not going to anoint them or anything, but they deserve the praise they're getting right now more far more than any other team in the NFL.

i82much
12-07-2011, 10:00 AM
There are always optimistic and pessimistic ways to look at track records. The Steelers haven't beaten very many good teams and the Ravens have been terribly inconsistent against bad teams. Seems likely they will meet in the playoffs and the home team will have an advantage. I think that's all you can say at this point if you are being realistic.

If you want to parse the stats/records to find some trend that fits your world view, you can always find some wrinkle that makes you happy.

RichardCullinanForever
12-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know off the top of their head the team with the best record in NFL history NOT to win their division? If someone were to say to me at the beginning of the season that we'd finish 13-3, I'd say that we'd without a doubt take the division with a couple games to spare. But now I'm not so sure.

Fire Arians
12-07-2011, 12:07 PM
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know off the top of their head the team with the best record in NFL history NOT to win their division? If someone were to say to me at the beginning of the season that we'd finish 13-3, I'd say that we'd without a doubt take the division with a couple games to spare. But now I'm not so sure.

i'm not sure, that'd be interesting to look up.

i do remember the 49ers having the best record to ever miss the playoffs though, they were 11-5 and missed the playoffs one year

ricardisimo
12-07-2011, 01:18 PM
i'm not sure, that'd be interesting to look up.

i do remember the 49ers having the best record to ever miss the playoffs though, they were 11-5 and missed the playoffs one year
No, it was the 1985 Broncos, matched by the 2008 Patriots and Falcons, all at 11-5.

I'm sure it's mathematically possible for a 13-3 team to get knocked out, but I have difficulty seeing how. Can't even wrap my brain around it. How many times have there been two 15-1 or even 14-2 teams in one season?

RichardCullinanForever
12-07-2011, 05:09 PM
No, it was the 1985 Broncos, matched by the 2008 Patriots and Falcons, all at 11-5.

I'm sure it's mathematically possible for a 13-3 team to get knocked out, but I have difficulty seeing how. Can't even wrap my brain around it. How many times have there been two 15-1 or even 14-2 teams in one season?

But there's a difference between going 13-3 and not winning the DIVISION and going 13-3 and not making the PLAYOFFS. Has anyone ever seen a 13-3 wild card team?

ETL
12-07-2011, 06:32 PM
I think the Ravens game against the Chargers in San Diego in 2 weeks will be a tough one for them. I see them losing this game.

4xSBChamps
12-07-2011, 07:24 PM

in 1975, the Steelers finished 12-2, and won the AFC Central, while Cinncinati was 11-3, clinching the AFC wild-card birth (only a single wild-card from each Conference made the playoffs until 1978):
Houston, in O.A. 'Bum' Phillips' first season went 10-4 (a better winning-percentage than 11-5), and missed the playoffs

bornaSteelersfan
12-07-2011, 10:40 PM
We will win the division with a 13-3 record, so there is no need to worry. Ravens will lose to the Chargers and we will win out. There, I said it, now let it happen. :tt03:

#1LambertFan
12-08-2011, 03:49 PM

All it takes is watching the cutblocks and to keep in mind the Ravens don't have much of a passing game just whiney receivers that refs listen to.

madtowndrunkard
12-08-2011, 11:21 PM
I've been bleeding black and gold for 30+ years. There really is no argument for saying the Steelers are better then the Ravens. The records are the same, but it's clear the Ravens are the better team RIGHT NOW. They beat us twice...and they've played a much tougher schedule. Doesnt get any clearer then that.

We struggle to beat the Browns and the Chiefs. Yea were 10-3 but were probably the worst team with 3 losses in the AFC. Until we prove otherwise there is no way you can say otherwise. If not us - NE. We did beat them, so you could say we're better then NE. I think NE has fewer health issues right now.... in a rematch w/ NE next week would you put $100 on the steelers? Not with Ben's ankle being an issue.

We need to play better football in the playoffs if we expect to win a single game. IMO the biggest problem we have is the inconsistency from our coaching staff. The game plans and play calling against some clearly inferior teams has been HORRIBLE. We've had some nice game plans and some real stinkers. I don't have faith in our offensive game plans or playcalling. I don't think I'm alone.

Sixburgher
12-08-2011, 11:29 PM
We struggle to beat the Browns and the Chiefs.

And the Ravens lost to the Jaguars and Seahawks and damn near lost to Arizona in their own backyard. Yes, they beat us twice, but as far as strength of schedule goes, we've played practically the same schedule as the Ravens. The one major difference being that they got the Jets and we got the Patriots. We definitely got the more difficult draw there.

casteeler
12-08-2011, 11:36 PM
Toughest by FAR! The Saints lost to the Rams But then Beatdown NYG

#1LambertFan
12-08-2011, 11:41 PM
All things aside good teams win. Period. Look who has the best record in the ARC, even with a 1 game head start