PDA

View Full Version : Steelers vs. Browns

mesaSteeler
12-08-2011, 05:59 AM
Steelers vs. Browns
Thursday, December 08, 2011
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Matt Freed
James Harrison has two three-sack games in the Steelers past four contests.

When the Browns have the ball: The offense doesn't have a playmaker, and RB Peyton Hillis has missed half the season with injuries. Yet he still leads the team with 321 yards rushing. Without a running game and no reliable receiving threats, QB Colt McCoy has still passed for 2,524 yards and 14 touchdowns, but has taken a pounding behind an offensive line that is weak on the right side. Part of the reason is because the Browns are always playing from behind. Their first-quarter TD against the Bengals two weeks ago was the first time they scored in the opening quarter this season. They still haven't scored a TD in the third. LT Joe Thomas remains one of the best in the league, but former Pitt T Jason Pinkston has had to start at LG because of a season-ending injury to G Eric Steinbach (back). Without Steinbach, the Browns do not have a competent pulling guard to get their running backs to the outside. Complicating matters: They lead the NFL in dropped passes (40).

When the Steelers have the ball: The Browns defense has worn down because the offense has been so bad, forcing the unit to spend a lot of time on the field. One of the reasons they have the No. 1 pass defense in the league is because they are No. 31 against the rush. They've allowed at least one 100-yard rusher in five of the past six games. Last week, RB Ray Rice rushed for 204 of the Ravens' 290 yards. Curiously, the Browns are strong up the middle with DT Ahtyba Rubin and MLB D'Qwell Jackson, who leads the team with 112 tackles. But teams run at lightweight DEs Jabal Sheard of Pitt and Jaymee Mitchell, who are more pass rushers than run stoppers. CB Joe Haden is the best player in the secondary and will likely be assigned to follow WR Mike Wallace. Haden leads the league is passes defensed (17), but he doesn't have an interception. SS T.J. Ward, a tough, physical player, has missed the past four games with a foot injury and is not expected to play. He is expected to be replaced by Usama Young.

K Phil Dawson ... At 36, he might be the most under-appreciated kicker in the league. He has converted 7 of 8 field goals from 50 yards and beyond. His only miss came on a bad snap on a 55-yard attempt that caused Pro Bowl LS Brian Pontbriand to be waived. Dawson has been the lone bright spot for the special teams. The Browns allowed a 68-yard TD punt return last week to the Ravens' Lardarius Webb and a 101-yard TD kickoff return by Oakland's Jacoby Ford. They also gave up a touchdown on a fake punt against the Raiders.

The Steelers have won 14 of the past 15 and 20 of the past 22 meetings against the Browns, counting postseason. ... The Browns are 1-10 in Heinz Field, with the only victory coming in 2003. ... The Steelers have won three in a row and seven of their past eight games overall. The Browns have lost two in a row and five of their past six under rookie coach Pat Shurmur. ... The Steelers and Browns have met on Thursday nights twice, each team winning on its home field. ... The Steelers allow 12.8 points per game at Heinz Field, second-lowest total in the NFL.

Game: Steelers (9-3) vs. Cleveland Browns (4-8), Heinz Field.
When: 8:20 p.m.
TV: KDKA & NFL Network.
Radio: WDVE-FM (102.5), WBGG-AM (970) and the Steelers Radio Network.
Favored: Steelers by 14.

To win, the Browns must ...

1 D'Qwell the run. The Browns have allowed eight 100-yard rushers this season, including six in the past six games.

2 Have Little be big. The 6-foot-2, 220-pound rookie receiver has to make more big plays -- and not big drops -- for McCoy.

3 Have Cribbs be a cowboy. Joshua Cribbs hasn't returned any kick for a TD in two years, but three of his eight career TD kickoff returns are vs. the Steelers.

To win, the Steelers must ...

1 Go hard with Rashard. Rashard Mendenhall and RB Isaac Redman should have success against one of the worst rush defenses in the NFL.

2 Have the Browns be clowns. The Steelers have eight takeaways, including six interceptions, in the past nine quarters.

3 Keep Colt in the corral. OLB James Harrison, who has two three-sack games in his past four outings, cannot let the Browns QB make plays on the run.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11342/1195365-66.stm#ixzz1fwZTJQFP

steelfury02
12-08-2011, 07:49 AM
lol watch the Browns come out and have the best day they've had stopping the run or we will come out slinging it

Either way - we really need to build off Sunday's performance - this is no time to make a game like this unnecessarily close - and by that I mean winning by 10 or less

Fire Arians
12-08-2011, 12:32 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y147/stormangel1/QuinnisGayIV.jpg

old but i still found it funny

tanda10506
12-08-2011, 01:10 PM
I think we can win out the season and seeing us beat the Browns in dominant fashion would be another step in that direction. It doesn't have to be 35-7 but it needs to be dominant.

rich4eagle
12-08-2011, 03:46 PM
I think we can win out the season and seeing us beat the Browns in dominant fashion would be another step in that direction. It doesn't have to be 35-7 but it needs to be dominant.

well cross your fingers because all signs post toward being uber confident and then rallying to win if at all:hatsoff:

55BaileyFan
12-08-2011, 04:41 PM
http://steelerfreakmov.blogspot.com/2011/12/week-14-game.html

I love this game. I am an old school Steelers fan and this is the game.

Whodis
12-08-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm with ya... I love Steelers / Browns

The Clowns always show up for this game. I'd be surprised, but not upset if its a blowout

steve314
12-08-2011, 06:49 PM
well cross your fingers because all signs post toward being uber confident and then rallying to win if at all:hatsoff:

Exactly. Hope they don't come in overconfident and look past the Browns.

ETL
12-08-2011, 07:11 PM
We just need to win by 1 pt

JustinM
12-08-2011, 09:28 PM
I predict that ben takes a major hit to his ankle and limps the whole second half.