PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Run Game

MrAustin412
12-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Here's something I wrote about the Steelers needing to get their run game going more than they have been. Check it out.

http://bit.ly/t4y2fn

Thanks!

Go Steelers!

casteeler
12-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Against the Browns 73 rushing yards for Mendy will do. 4 downs and 0 points to show for the effort that started as 1st and goal at the 2 yard line won't cut it when it comes playoff time. Mendy had a couple of good runs but when push came to shove he couldn't produce. When does it become necessary to put Redman or Dwyer in goal line to punch it in, at some time Mendys feelings have to be put aside. I realize that Mendenhall is the Steelers bread&butter when it comes to Rushing but when it's 3rd and goal at the 1 and your down 4 in the AFC championship game is Mendy the guy you want lowering his head to put 6 on the board? Not me, give Redman or Dwyer a chance sometime Mendy looks like MC Hammer in the backfield and that's scary.

Sixburgher
12-08-2011, 11:30 PM
Against the Browns 73 rushing yards for Mendy will do. 4 downs and 0 points to show for the effort that started as 1st and goal at the 2 yard line won't cut it when it comes playoff time. Mendy had a couple of good runs but when push came to shove he couldn't produce. When does it become necessary to put Redman or Dwyer in goal line to punch it in, at some time Mendys feelings have to be put aside. I realize that Mendenhall is the Steelers bread&butter when it comes to Rushing but when it's 3rd and goal at the 1 and your down 4 in the AFC championship game is Mendy the guy you want lowering his head to put 6 on the board? Not me, give Redman or Dwyer a chance sometime Mendy looks like MC Hammer in the backfield and that's scary.

Dwyer's on IR. But agreed on Redman.

PhantomJB93
12-08-2011, 11:33 PM
Mendy has been SPECTACULAR at punching it in in the past. He had a bad series today but you can't just throw out how reliable he's been inside the 10 since he became the starter, especially after his game against the Bungals last week.

casteeler
12-08-2011, 11:40 PM
Mendy has been SPECTACULAR at punching it in in the past. He had a bad series today but you can't just throw out how reliable he's been inside the 10 since he became the starter, especially after his game against the Bungals last week.

Every team has one-two punch and the Steelers just needed to put Redman in that series not saying Mendy is reliable but he dances too much behind the line.

NoFieldFive
12-09-2011, 12:48 AM
running up the middle 4 times in a row did not help. with Mendy's speed take it on the outside at least once...if you are going to run 4 times in a row.

sharkweek
12-09-2011, 01:01 AM
Against the Browns 73 rushing yards for Mendy will do.

Don't lose sight of the fact that as a team the Steelers ran for 147 yards on 28 attempts, and this is on top of Ben throwing for 280 with just 22 passes (Batch only had like 3 attempts, two incompletitions and one of a few first down plays that was negated by penalties or bad refereeing - ie a coaches challenge that overturned a Brown conversion that ultimately was converted by an even longer Brown reception :rofl:

basically my point is that the Steelers ran well as a whole, even though Mendenhall didn't get the 100+ for a sexier statline

running up the middle 4 times in a row did not help. with Mendy's speed take it on the outside at least once...if you are going to run 4 times in a row.

problem is those are the plays where you can lose yards, to not be able to gain anything running up the gut with 4 tries means the Browns simply beat the Steelers as a team on that set of downs. They plugged the necessary lanes and stopped our line from pushing them back. A fair fight and the Steelers simply lost that battle, but they won the war, which is really the only thing that matters

Again, just as Tomlin said it, if they couldn't get it in from that distance without any trickery they deserved to potentially lose the game.

jjpro11
12-09-2011, 01:25 AM

i wouldn't bash Mendy for tonight's game.. he's had some less than spectacular games in the past where he danced too much, but tonight he ran very hard (as did Redman) and made a lot of nothing plays into good gains. they had a couple nice holes to run through, but most of the time they were fending off defenders at or behind the LOS, and still pushed through for some nice gains. Mendy took some big hits and didn't fumble. impressive considering Ward and Miller put the ball on the ground in the same game.

Third Rail
12-09-2011, 01:26 AM
Dwyer's on IR. But agreed on Redman.

Huh?! When did that happen?

tanda10506
12-09-2011, 01:33 AM
100+ yards is good running against any team. The goal line stand was absurd and would probably lose us a playoff game. After Ben got hurt the run got better, and that was even out.

wyn50
12-09-2011, 01:35 AM
I think the coaches are to blame on that goal line situation. They should be more creative with all those weapons they have. To run it 4 times is so predictable. Could be the coaches are saving better plays for bigger games down the stretch.

Kanata-Steeler
12-09-2011, 02:28 AM
In general, our running is strong, and nuthin' wrong with running it 4 times (as in 2nite) on a goal line stand. We definitely have the backs for the job, and that should have been driven in for the score !
Instead, it's those horrible "lack-of-Running" play calls -and that's on Ariens.
But, Ariens, is well an AIRHEAD only, he's just a "passing" O-Coordinator.
Still though, this falls on Tomlin and Ariens for not cooking up more powerful smash-mouth run recipes, especially when we're on the goal-line with 4 downs.
naa, even LeBeau, if given the reins on those downs, probably would have easily driven it in.
:)

JCPsteelers
12-09-2011, 03:03 AM

AGreed. And I blame the Steelers OL and the Browns good defense instead of Mendenhall for not getting in the endzone. The guy had no holes or was tackled right at point of attack.

I thought Mendenhall ran hard for much of the game. I hope that 4 plays doesn't overlook that point on the talk shows tomorrow.

Bayz101
12-09-2011, 03:12 AM
Liked the intensity of the runs when Ben went out. Even the four straight runs we're expected. If you can't run two yards into the endzone on four tries, as Tomlin said, "You deserve to possibly lose."

kirklandrules
12-09-2011, 04:04 AM
Huh?! When did that happen?

Same time they pulled the trigger on Hoke.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7333245/pittsburgh-steelers-place-chris-hoke-jonathan-dwyer-injured-reserve

Whodis
12-09-2011, 06:18 AM
It looks to me like Mendenhall is a "soft" runner. Once he makes 1st contact, his legs stop moving and he bounces off a tackler. His goal line running is embarrassing! Not having a true fullback doesn't give him any help. Redman is so much better in short yardage or even getting yards after contact (going by what I perceive, not stats).

Yeah, Im still a little pissed about the goal line stand

steelfury02
12-09-2011, 08:20 AM
There is a lot more involved to punching it in to the end zone than Mendy's abilities. There is no way any running back is going to get in with 3 defenders penetrating past the lead blocker before he gets back to the line of scrimmage.

Let's not even get into the predictable plays that were called. Who cares if you have to try something different to score - the point is to score - not beat your head against the wall because you must score a certain way.

What constitutes soft? The guy made quite a few yards out of nothing last night IMHO. We purposefully don't have the personnel to be a smash mouth team and the way we have been able to turn on a switch in the running game the past two games has been pretty impressive. All I'm saying is - why couldn't we have seen a toss to the outside, a naked bootleg, or just something thrown in there that puts SOME questions into the defense's mind as to where the ball is going - not just motioning Johnson and "hey look where he is motioning - guess where the ball is coming guys?" Dur.

SteelCityMom
12-09-2011, 08:28 AM
Same time they pulled the trigger on Hoke.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7333245/pittsburgh-steelers-place-chris-hoke-jonathan-dwyer-injured-reserve

I was wondering that too...thanks for the link.

I remember the article being posted as well, but wasn't sure. He seemed fine in the Bengals game on Sunday, and it just slipped my mind that he even got injured between then and now.

wnyBob
12-09-2011, 08:29 AM
Arians couldn’t draw up a running game if he had Barry Sanders, Gale Sayers, Jim Brown, Earl Campbell, Walter Payton all in the same backfield. And I don’t always by off on the offensive line’s fault. They’re all on the professional level for G’s sake. It’s called design, innovation. Blame for consistant sub-par stats should run uphill not downhill.

Curtain_of_Steel
12-09-2011, 08:30 AM
We just need to run when we need too. I personally think Redman is a better back than Mendy for what this offense needs. Start setting things up similar to the Saints as we are a pass first team now. Ronneys better learn to accept it, lol

Wanted: RB's are don't want to dance in the backfield, apply here.

Curtain_of_Steel
12-09-2011, 08:31 AM
our yardage was fine for this, the big loss was 1st and goal on the half yard and not getting in on 4 tries.

Tomlins failure, Mendys proof he isnt going to be here long, and someone should ask Tomlin why did you not use your short yardage back?

Whodis
12-09-2011, 08:39 AM
What constitutes soft? The guy made quite a few yards out of nothing last night IMHO. We purposefully don't have the personnel to be a smash mouth team and the way we have been able to turn on a switch in the running game the past two games has been pretty impressive. All I'm saying is - why couldn't we have seen a toss to the outside, a naked bootleg, or just something thrown in there that puts SOME questions into the defense's mind as to where the ball is going - not just motioning Johnson and "hey look where he is motioning - guess where the ball is coming guys?" Dur.

IMO "soft" is when a running back flies back or even spins after contact (see all 4 runs). I feel like Redman at least keeps going forward. I agree with you on Johnson and on top of that I question his ability as a fullback. Mendehall reminds me a lot of Willie Parker.

bornaSteelersfan
12-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Mendenhall is soft? He dances too much? You're right, let's just cut him. I know, we should pick up Tiki Barber, he's the greatest back ever!

You guys are too much.

jjpro11
12-09-2011, 03:18 PM
Mendenhall is soft? He dances too much? You're right, let's just cut him. I know, we should pick up Tiki Barber, he's the greatest back ever!

You guys are too much.

he does have a bad habit of dancing at times.. soft? no ****ing way. he runs hard every time.

DanRooney
12-09-2011, 03:42 PM

You guys are too much.

Exaggerate much? Did anyone say cut him? Criticize a player some people on this board take it like you spit on their mom's dog.

I think Mendenhall is what we need between the 20s but Redman should get a lot more carries. That whole goal line sequence was pretty bad. I'm not putting the blame entirely on Mendy (a pitch or a playaction pass would have been nice on 1 of the 4 downs) but he should have knocked it in.