PDA

View Full Version : A. Brown v. S. Holmes

desertsteel
12-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Who would you take right now? Not based on future potential, but as they are playing right now? I'd take Brown. He's special... and reliable.

JustinM
12-09-2011, 10:38 AM
And he has perfect, white teeth.

TRH
12-09-2011, 10:40 AM
Both good players, but with Brown, at least of right now, there's zero drama and problems/trouble, and no "prima donna"/i'm bigger than the team" type of stuff. Talent appears to be about equal.
That makes the decision easily, don't even have to think about it. Brown.

TAmes
12-09-2011, 10:54 AM
I don't even think it's debatable that you'd take Brown over Holmes. He's younger, extremely skilled, and has by all accounts a great work ethic. Brown was a 6th round draft pick, and Holmes was a 1st rounder. Brown seems to practice and play as though he has a chip on his shoulder. He's a terrific player, and I hope he stays a Steeler for a long time.

Whodis
12-09-2011, 11:21 AM
I wish Brown would stop celebrating a first down as if it was the very first one he ever converted.

wyn50
12-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Ditto that first down celebration...ala santonio. Just get back to the huddle.
Even their first names are similar.

DanRooney
12-09-2011, 11:38 AM
They're the same player as far as I'm concerned. Both are excellent after they get their hands on the ball. Brown seems to have better hands however.

I take Brown but Santonio still has the edge in my heart being SB MVP and all :tt02:

Fire Arians
12-09-2011, 11:44 AM
if they were both in their prime, santonio.

brown is pretty close, but santonio at his best was a crisper route runner and better end zone target.

that's not to say that brown can't develop into that, but as far as now, that'd be my choice.

Steelerindc
12-09-2011, 12:05 PM
They're the same player as far as I'm concerned. Both are excellent after they get their hands on the ball. Brown seems to have better hands however.

I take Brown but Santonio still has the edge in my heart being SB MVP and all :tt02:

I wouldn't say Brown has better hands, but they're just as good. I see a lot of potential for this guy and I do think he can be just as good, if not better than Santonio but he hasn't made that Super Bowl winning catch yet.

Until then, I would give Tone the nod.

DanRooney
12-09-2011, 12:18 PM
I wouldn't say Brown has better hands, but they're just as good. I see a lot of potential for this guy and I do think he can be just as good, if not better than Santonio but he hasn't made that Super Bowl winning catch yet.

Until then, I would give Tone the nod.

Holmes' hands are not very good. He was and still is notorious for dropping passes.

FOOTEupyourarse
12-09-2011, 12:38 PM
havent seen brown taking any plays off like holmes did. he would have a good game then disappear for weeks then another good game. brown has been pretty much every game so far and getting better each time.

austinfrench76
12-09-2011, 12:53 PM
Brown for sure! Because he's actually on our roster!!!

MasterOfPuppets
12-09-2011, 03:40 PM
we're talking about for football not sex ... get it back in your pants fruitcake ...:sofunny:

bornaSteelersfan
12-09-2011, 03:49 PM
Brown for sure! Because he's actually on our roster!!!

:thumbsup: :tt03:

PhantomJB93
12-09-2011, 03:52 PM
I like Brown and all, but let's be real, I still take Santonio right now even with the attitude until Brown does something like this:

http://fitsnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/santonio-holmes1.jpg

steeltheone
12-09-2011, 03:52 PM
It's easier to pick since sanchez is throwing the ball to Holmes....If Holmes had BR7, his numbers would be so much better!

Steelerindc
12-09-2011, 04:11 PM
I like Brown and all, but let's be real, I still take Santonio right now even with the attitude until Brown does something like this:

I agree, until Brown makes that catch in crunch time. Who the better receiver is yet to be seen.

that's all i was eluding to in my previous post.

SuckItUp
12-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Holmes. Regardless of the jersey he wears now, he single handely gave us the last second heroics needed to win that SuperBowl. No ones saying Brown isn't good. Simply that he's done nothing CLOSE to that catch yet.

skinart82
12-09-2011, 08:41 PM
3rd down Brown! Holmes is great, but Browns future is brighter and I just have that trust feeling with him. I use to and still do have that feeling that Holmes is gonna fumble when he has the ball in his hands.

sharkweek
12-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Better overall WR right now is Holmes, bu between Holmes' attitude and everything I hear about Brown's work ethic, I'd take Brown. I think Brown is the better teammate, which makes him a better football player.

I agree, until Brown makes that catch in crunch time. Who the better receiver is yet to be seen.

Holmes had some really good 3rd down conversions and of course that TD catch in the Superbowl, but it isn't like Brown hasn't had clutch catches, he had two consecutive games with game clinching catches in run to last year's Superbowl... Heck, just last night Brown had several clutch catches to merit discussion of game MVP in spite of having a drop on a 3rd and long, he more than made up for it

Sixburgher
12-09-2011, 09:51 PM
Brown. It appears many here are forgetting the numerous drops by Holmes, not to mention the off the field problems. Sure, great catch in the Super Bowl, but it was an even better pass by Roethlisberger.

QCbeauBlak
12-09-2011, 11:03 PM
Attitude, attitude, attitude. I loved Santonio but I hated the way he carried himself. He confirmed that he would take plays off on that Jets tv show last year, when he knew he wasn't getting the ball. Brown is always working hard. He is a practice warrior and he seems to really appreciate playing in the NFL much less with the Steelers. AB had a rough, long journey to the pros and he plays with that chip. Also, Santonio didn't seem to embrace Mike Wallace the way Wallace embraces Brown and Sanders. That tight bond, I think, is what has helped Brown develop so fast.

sharkweek
12-09-2011, 11:26 PM
Brown. It appears many here are forgetting the numerous drops by Holmes, not to mention the off the field problems. Sure, great catch in the Super Bowl, but it was an even better pass by Roethlisberger.

no doubt, if Ben hadn't thrown an INT in the first half that made it a ball game instead of a blow out, he would have won the MVP easily, heck I still think he probably should have won it, but Holmes had that immortal catch that was just icing on the cake that was several other key catches on that game winning drive

however I really don't remember Holmes for his drops, he was very clutch on 3rd downs, but considering our current WR corps he really wasn't anything special in that regard

heck, Holmes' SB winning catch was pretty much mirrored perfectly in Wallace's walk-off game winning catch in that shootout against the Packers in '09. If it wasn't for Holmes' catch being in the Superbowl, it would be very easy to argue that Wallace's catch was more difficult and clutch.

Third Rail
12-10-2011, 02:07 AM
Yeah, I thought Ben should have gotten the MVP in that game too; he would have had at least one more passing TD earlier on in that game if Heath hadn't dropped it, and I still say his knee wasn't down on that rushing TD early on in the game (F*** you, Whisenhunt). But I had no problem with Holmes getting it; he was a beast in that game, and all through the playoffs that year. He had two game changers in the Ravens and Chargers games, so he was highly valuable that year.

As for the Santonio/Antonio debate... I think they are both amazing players but I think it's still a little too early to tell. I absolutely LOVE what I'm seeing from Brown but he hasn't been around long enough for me to accurately say "he's more mature than Tone" or "he 'gets it' more than Tone ever did." Because remember, there were still some questions about Brown early on in the season about his maturity and his ability to memorize routes and such. I think he's surpassed that, but he's only been a full contributor for about a year and I don't think we've seen enough from him yet to be able to accurately weigh his abilities and character against Santonio's.

Curtain_of_Steel
12-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Brown without a doubt, plus less baggage, or baggies come along with him, LOL

desertsteel
12-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Brown without a doubt, plus less baggage, or baggies come along with him, LOL

Lmao

SteelerEmpire
12-10-2011, 07:16 PM

And Holmes missed the 1st pass to him on the same play called on the opposite side of the field. It was another good pass by Ben that went right through Holmes's hands. Brown has better hands, better speed and no drug problems. I look to see Brown exceed Holmes's accomplishments on this team.

ricardisimo
12-10-2011, 08:39 PM
And such a nice, tight ass.

TESS743
12-10-2011, 09:13 PM

LOL, what the heck??? too funny!!

Buddha Bus
12-11-2011, 12:14 AM

Wait..... what?!? I thought that Miller and Saunders were our "tight ends"? :huh:

:chuckle:

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-11-2011, 12:23 AM

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1101/divisional.weekend/images/antonio-brown-ap.jpg

Bayz101
12-11-2011, 03:59 AM

Just noticed Holme's second foot wasn't down on that catch...Let's talk about other stuffs!!!!

steelfury02
12-11-2011, 10:12 AM
yea - just waiting for bleed purple's picture with a close up of Holmes toes on the back foot "not touching"

I suppose no matter how we argue with that person, he'll find some close up picture of someone committing a penalty prior to Harrison's 100 yd interception return

PhantomJB93
12-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Just noticed Holme's second foot wasn't down on that catch...Let's talk about other stuffs!!!!

His foot touched the ground a second before that pic was taken, all the "foot wasn't down" conspirators always show the image with his right foot in the air but it grazed the grass a split second earlier before the catch was "picture perfect" and then was elevated up as the left foot touched.

Also, Brown's helmet catch was great, but it's still no Holmes catch. There's a big difference between what Brown did (ran straight past a nickel defender downfield) and what Holmes did (scrambling around and finding that catch in the corner in triple coverage as the play broke down), not to mention the other factors (Game was tied for Brown so not as much pressure, Brown was a fiftth receiver at the time and wasn't really gameplanned against, etc.).

I'm not trying to hate on Brown, I love him and think he will be great, I hooe he makes a catch better than the Holmes catch in the Super Bowl, but I'm just saying anyone who honestly thinks he's better than Santonio right now because of a couple games this season and two catches in the playoffs as a fifth receiver is out of their minds.

Sixburgher
12-11-2011, 11:55 AM

It was a catch.

http://www.itsalreadysigned4u.com/shop/media/images/product_detail/aaa-11078.jpg

http://www.steelersdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/2ftzoom.jpg

Sixburgher
12-11-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm not trying to hate on Brown, I love him and think he will be great, I hooe he makes a catch better than the Holmes catch in the Super Bowl, but I'm just saying anyone who honestly thinks he's better than Santonio right now because of a couple games this season and two catches in the playoffs as a fifth receiver is out of their minds.

How many games has Brown been forced to miss, thus hurting the team, for smoking weed? I think anyone who ranks Holmes higher than Brown due to one catch which was arguably more the result of a laser thrown by Roethlisberger than anything else is myopic.

bubbletownwr88
12-11-2011, 12:53 PM
Antonio Brown is more consistent and simply a better all around player and person then Santonio. simple as that.

Sixburgher
12-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Antonio Brown is more consistent and simply a better all around player and person then Santonio. simple as that.

Actually, you put it better than I did. Although at this point Holmes is the more accomplished receiver, I think over time Brown will eclipse him.

Fire Arians
12-11-2011, 01:20 PM
Actually, you put it better than I did. Although at this point Holmes is the more accomplished receiver, I think over time Brown will eclipse him.

i think so eventually brown will be a better player. he's already on pace for 1000 yds this season, santonio didn't get to the 1000 yard mark until his 4th season.

santonio does have more of a knack for finding the end zone though, but brown should find that with more experience.

GMU Steeler
12-11-2011, 01:37 PM
I don't know really but the fact that they're this close I think shows you Brown's potential. I still can't get over the fact we got him in the sixth round. So glad that he's not a one hit wonder(the big catch last year in the playoffs against Baltimore). Brown is getting better each week as an all around player. Last week it was the punt return against the Bengals and this week it was the catch and run.

Steelersfan87
12-11-2011, 04:51 PM
The only real edge that Holmes still has over Brown is route running, and Brown shows great improvement on this end on a weekly basis. Right now, I would take Brown, with the caveat that off the field issues are a major factor in the decision.

ricardisimo
12-11-2011, 05:44 PM
The only real edge that Holmes still has over Brown is route running, and Brown shows great improvement on this end on a weekly basis. Right now, I would take Brown, with the caveat that off the field issues are a major factor in the decision.
Let's see how long that reasoning lasts. Brown looks and smells like a prima donna in the making. The whole celebrating every 1st down conversion thing should look real familiar to everyone.

Steelersfan87
12-11-2011, 05:51 PM
Have you ever heard an interview with the kid or read about his back story? He's about as humble as they get. And Emmanuel Sanders does more celebrating than Brown does per catch. Besides, that would be an on the field issue. You'll have an argument once Brown gets arrested.

Pentheon
12-11-2011, 09:03 PM
well its hard to just say who would you take based off skill right now because holmes has more years on brown. If antonio keeps playing the way he does with as many years holmes has then it would easily be brown, he has great hands, great route running, deadly in the return game, clutch...

I still like holmes and what he did for us but I would take brown right now because of the age difference. Holmes route running is amazing, as good as browns is at his young age holmes is still better in that area and more of a threat in the redzone but thats why brown is only in his second year, plenty of more time to develope even though he is doing everything pretty damn good right now.

Can't ask much more from the kid, hes a beast

desTROY43
12-11-2011, 10:51 PM
holmes is good, but i would take brown over him. after watching his interview after the game, he seems to have a head on his shoulders.

LayingTheWoodley56
12-12-2011, 09:48 AM
I never agreed with letting Santonio go in the first place: he did have some off-the-field issues, but nothing too awful and he didn't seem to be a bad teammate or anything while he was here. I always thought he was awesome on the field and that far outweighed any off-field negatives.

I look at our recieving corps now, AKA Young Money Wallace, Brown and Sanders and think how unbelievable it would be if we still had Santonio in that mix. Wishful thinking, though, because we probably wouldn't have drafted one or both of those guys if we still had him. We are making out OK without #10 and with #84 and #88 (24-8 record, an SB appearance) so it seems we made the right or at least an equal choice.

Whodis
12-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Let's see how long that reasoning lasts. Brown looks and smells like a prima donna in the making. The whole celebrating every 1st down conversion thing should look real familiar to everyone.

I agree with this statement and after he gets a 1st down the whole bar scream "Get the fock back the the huddle"

LayingTheWoodley56
12-12-2011, 12:30 PM
Jeez, why is everybody so hung up on this "signaling first downs" thing? The guy is a kid whose excited when he makes a play. He's said and done all the right things since he got here. What's wrong with showing a little flair out there on the field? I seem to recall that a young to middle-aged Hines also enjoyed showing that he had just gotten us a new set of downs. Lay off him and let him have fun as long as he keeps playing like he has.

wera176
12-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Right now, Brown no question.

I will always think fondly of Holmes for what he did here though. The SB TD, the catch in OT against the Bungles that eliminated them from the play offs, the big catches against the Ravens, it's a long list.

Brown is something special though.

As a side note, Wallace seems to be improving in his running ATC, the near TD Thursday, the TD against the Bengals, etc. He's starting to look even more dangerous to me. Anyone else notice? Think Brown's success has lit a fire in him?

I love it...

LayingTheWoodley56
12-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Right now, Brown no question.

I will always think fondly of Holmes for what he did here though. The SB TD, the catch in OT against the Bungles that eliminated them from the play offs, the big catches against the Ravens, it's a long list.

Brown is something special though.

As a side note, Wallace seems to be improving in his running ATC, the near TD Thursday, the TD against the Bengals, etc. He's starting to look even more dangerous to me. Anyone else notice? Think Brown's success has lit a fire in him?

I love it...

We haven't seen as many home run plays to Wallace in terms of Ben chucking a bomb to him as the season has progressed; you have to think that teams are keying in on not letting him do that. He does have some serious moves though. Mike is one of the most dangerous players in the league any time he has the ball in space, so it should be clear to Arians at all times: GET IT TO HIM!

ricardisimo
12-12-2011, 02:32 PM
Jeez, why is everybody so hung up on this "signaling first downs" thing? The guy is a kid whose excited when he makes a play. He's said and done all the right things since he got here. What's wrong with showing a little flair out there on the field? I seem to recall that a young to middle-aged Hines also enjoyed showing that he had just gotten us a new set of downs. Lay off him and let him have fun as long as he keeps playing like he has.
It's princess showboating. He's not a rookie anymore, and it's getting to be time for him to "act like you've been there before." And the point is that it stinks of Santonio; that is, it's probably a glimpse into the future. Geez, imagine that... another self-important wideout.

Celebrating is for touchdowns, not receptions. The only reason to celebrate every single reception is that you're full of yourself. Look at the great ones, and look at the troubled ones, and you'll start to see a pattern. He's definitely looking a lot more like the T. O./Muchostinko/Holmes/Desean school than the Fitzgerald/Welker/Andre Johnson school.

And I don't know how you can consider getting up off the turf with a big shit-eating grin (as Hines has always done) to be showing off or celebrating. :noidea:

Steelersfan87
12-12-2011, 02:58 PM
You're off base man. Antonio Brown doesn't celebrate the average catch more than Hines Ward does. Players celebrate after they make plays because it's exciting. Almost every player in the league does it I'm sure. You're reading too much into a non-issue and waiting for it to become one. Until you have more evidence than "he celebrates first downs", I think you should lay off the kid.

ricardisimo
12-12-2011, 03:11 PM
You're off base man. Antonio Brown doesn't celebrate the average catch more than Hines Ward does. Players celebrate after they make plays because it's exciting. Almost every player in the league does it I'm sure. You're reading too much into a non-issue and waiting for it to become one. Until you have more evidence than "he celebrates first downs", I think you should lay off the kid.
What do you mean "almost every player in the league"? You don't even need to look outside of the team. Compare his little pointing-and-chest-puffing routine after EVERY SINGLE CATCH to Hines, Heath, Sanders or Wallace. These guys celebrate touchdowns, period. When Mendenhall breaks off a big run, the only reaction from him if gets tackled is to slap the ball in anger in his hands, then he's right back to the huddle.

They're all having fun, mind you, and I'm certainly having fun watching them. They don't need to clue me in that a play was just made. We're not Bengals fans.

PhantomJB93
12-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Geez some of you guys are overreacting. It's hardly even a celebration, He just points to the crowd and drops the ball, it lasts all of 2 seconds. It's not like he's running up to a camera and doing an all-out touchdown celebration. And it's only when he gets a first down, it's not like he does it after every little bubble screen he catches or anything.

LaMarr does his little ninja kick after every sack and I've never seen anybody complain of him being a showboater. Maybe he should have to save it for when he gets a TD?

LayingTheWoodley56
12-12-2011, 03:45 PM
I disagree with you guys, respectfully. I think that Antonio's after-catch behavior is fine, and even infectious. It was awesome seeing him coming back to the sidelines after the punt return TD against the Bengals, arms outstretched and screaming "YEEEAAHHHH" towards the sky. He is being discriminated against because the position he plays has a lot of prima donnas.

If he "stinks of Santonio" (and I really don't understand all the anti-Santonio stuff, I never really saw him as a distraction), then I'm happy because to me Santonio stanks of Super Bowl MVPs and clutch, game-winning plays. Don't try to strip him of his youthful exuberance, it is a good thing that he gets excited and we shouldn't paint him with the diva brush until he does anything to show that he is one. These are all "No Fun League" complaints, and like someone said above me all our guys celebrate, whether it Woodley's kick, the Foote Stomp, Keis has been known to be demonstrative, Farrior even at his age is always pounding helmets, putting his arms up and slapping backs out there. Nothing wrong with showing your having fun.

LayingTheWoodley56
12-12-2011, 03:46 PM
And go back and look at all Hines' celebrations over the years, the River dance in Cincy, flapping his wings against the Eagles, and all the other ones even as he was becoming a wizened old vet.

Steeldude
12-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Holmes' hands are not very good. He was and still is notorious for dropping passes.

agreed.

fans are fooled by his overrated catch in the SB. they seem to forget the pass prior to it was dropped by none other than holmes.

bblocker14
12-12-2011, 04:22 PM
On the field, The "SanAntonio's" look exactly the same when they were both in their 2nd year.

Antonio has the best years of his career waiting for him, advantage Brown.

ricardisimo
12-12-2011, 04:28 PM
And go back and look at all Hines' celebrations over the years, the River dance in Cincy, flapping his wings against the Eagles, and all the other ones even as he was becoming a wizened old vet.
Yes... after touchdowns. You're not getting this.
Geez some of you guys are overreacting. It's hardly even a celebration, He just points to the crowd and drops the ball, it lasts all of 2 seconds. It's not like he's running up to a camera and doing an all-out touchdown celebration. And it's only when he gets a first down, it's not like he does it after every little bubble screen he catches or anything.

LaMarr does his little ninja kick after every sack and I've never seen anybody complain of him being a showboater. Maybe he should have to save it for when he gets a TD?
Yeah, maybe he should, although defensively, sacks are the equivalent of a score. Three-to-five sacks/game, just like three-to-five scores/game, so maybe they're on a par with each other. He certainly does NOT celebrate every tackle with his ninja stomp.

LayingTheWoodley56
12-12-2011, 04:31 PM
agreed.

fans are fooled by his overrated catch in the SB. they seem to forget the pass prior to it was dropped by none other than holmes.

Overrated!? Yes, the one before that did go right through his hands, and it was a ball he should have caught even though it wasnt an overly easy one. Other than that, how is that catch possible overrated? Full extension, hands as far as they can go, somehow keeping control of the ball while getting both feet in bounds TO WIN THE SUPER BOWL? Do you have any idea how few recievers would have caught that ball in that spot? And if you dont remember, Santonio had 8 other catches in that game for 125 yards, including that little stop he caught on the final drive and juked that guy out of his shoes before running down like 40 yards or something to the 6, which is what set up the game winning TD? No one can ever, ever, EVER take any of that away from him or discredit it. Santonio earned his black and gold for life that night even if he no longer wears it.

Sixburgher
12-12-2011, 04:33 PM
Yes... after touchdowns. You're not getting this.

I dunno, I've seen more than a few occasions where Hines will make a first down signal after a routine catch.

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_full_width_scaled/hash/95/1c/951ced8e028a8239bb92341dc8f99ebf.png

"Hines Ward #86 of the Pittsburgh Steelers reacts after catching a second quarter first down pass while playing the Jacksonville Jaguars at Heinz Field on October 16, 2011 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania."

http://www.examiner.com/pittsburgh-steelers-in-pittsburgh/highlight-photos-from-the-week-6-showdown-between-the-steelers-and-jaguars-picture?slide=38906101

I can understand it more from a kid like Brown than someone who's been in the league for 14 years and is closing in on 1000 receptions. As far as the Steelers receiver corps goes, Hines should be setting the example.

Steelersfan87
12-12-2011, 04:53 PM
What do you mean "almost every player in the league"? You don't even need to look outside of the team. Compare his little pointing-and-chest-puffing routine after EVERY SINGLE CATCH to Hines, Heath, Sanders or Wallace. These guys celebrate touchdowns, period. When Mendenhall breaks off a big run, the only reaction from him if gets tackled is to slap the ball in anger in his hands, then he's right back to the huddle.

They're all having fun, mind you, and I'm certainly having fun watching them. They don't need to clue me in that a play was just made. We're not Bengals fans.

I'm sorry, but you're just wrong. Almost every skill position player celebrates in some way after almost every good play that they make. This INCLUDES Hines Ward and Emmanuel Sanders. Heath Miller? No, he's of the rare breed that doesn't. But the issue here is your characterization of Sanders as a potential headcase because of some on-field celebrations after making a play (which is not nearly as often as you suggest). Last year, everybody was complaining and Sanders celebrating, and now you try to use him as an example of what Brown should be. The only reason Sanders hasn't been celebrating is because he hasn't been playing. There is NO issue with Brown. There is nothing wrong with his celebrations, and they also don't occur as often as you say. And the general practice is also far more common then you suggest, even on Brown's own team. So, you're just wrong, completely. Brown has shown nothing but being a good kid. He understands how fortunate and blessed of a position he's in because he crawled through shit to get here and he stayed humbled, unlike Santonio. I guess part of that is the difference between a first round pick and a sixth round pick.

Fire Arians
12-12-2011, 05:00 PM
I dunno, I've seen more than a few occasions where Hines will make a first down signal after a routine catch.

"Hines Ward #86 of the Pittsburgh Steelers reacts after catching a second quarter first down pass while playing the Jacksonville Jaguars at Heinz Field on October 16, 2011 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania."

http://www.examiner.com/pittsburgh-steelers-in-pittsburgh/highlight-photos-from-the-week-6-showdown-between-the-steelers-and-jaguars-picture?slide=38906101

I can understand it more from a kid like Brown than someone who's been in the league for 14 years and is closing in on 1000 receptions. As far as the Steelers receiver corps goes, Hines should be setting the example.

tbh i don't mind when the receivers celebrate after a 1st down, as long as it's not excessive and costs us a penalty. sometimes those little celebrations fire up the crowd and the team. i noticed many times the squad looked rejuvinated after a huge first down by hines, when the little celebration and smile happens lol

steelfury02
12-12-2011, 05:10 PM
the photo is a lie:chuckle:

Sixburgher
12-12-2011, 05:21 PM
tbh i don't mind when the receivers celebrate after a 1st down, as long as it's not excessive and costs us a penalty. sometimes those little celebrations fire up the crowd and the team. i noticed many times the squad looked rejuvinated after a huge first down by hines, when the little celebration and smile happens lol

Honestly, it doesn't bother me either. As long as they don't do something stupid like cost the team 50 yards of field position like Desean Jackson recently did by taunting the other team, it's all right by me. I just pointed out that Ward has celebrated a number of more routine catches himself, that's all.

Steelersfan87
12-12-2011, 05:25 PM
http://sharing.foxtoledo.com/sharewlin//photo/2011/02/06/Super-Bowl-Football_Gree_20110206182023_640_480.JPG

"Pittsburgh Steelers' Hines Ward celebrates following a reception during the second half of the NFL Super Bowl XLV football game. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky)"

Steelersfan87
12-12-2011, 05:30 PM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.65609.1313803377!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_630/image.jpg

"Then the Steelers pour it on, first with a 20-yard pass to the Jets 18-yard line from Roethlisberger to Emmanuel Sanders (above), who celebrates the big gain and first down ..."

Steelersfan87
12-12-2011, 05:32 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/bd/fullj.12e329bc6ea7d4e27cfc85a50a22f6be/12e329bc6ea7d4e27cfc85a50a22f6be-getty-130977593.jpg

"PITTSBURGH, PA - OCTOBER 30: Emmanuel Sanders(notes) #88 of the Pittsburgh Steelers signals a first down against the New England Patriots at Heinz Field on October 30, 2011 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. (Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)"

What a bunch of classless assholes. Cut them all before they become a cancer.

bubbletownwr88
12-12-2011, 05:39 PM
I think its funny when Antonio Brown celebrates teh first down because he's mocking Santonio but when Antonio does it he drops it into the refs arms rather than just dropping it on the ground.

steelfury02
12-12-2011, 09:30 PM
ah yes - one of those 3 will be a SB MVP eventually - don't worry, one of them will get delusions of grandeur in their minds and talk/smoke their way out of town

Wallace might want to cash out - an SB MVP would only support his argument - plus his brother has the hook up so we all know where this is going lol:chuckle:

QCbeauBlak
12-12-2011, 10:28 PM
It is 2011. The celebrations are not going anywhere. I'd argue that the celebrations pump the team up. Just as long as they aren't long and drawn out like Santonio's. His 1st down celebration is very emotionless and very disrespectful to the refs who are always thinking he is going to hand them the ball and he drops it. AB, Hines, and Sanders on the other hand rant and rave and get the crowd into it. You cannot deny the increased decibels of a good ol' celebration move though!! Like it or not.

ricardisimo
12-12-2011, 11:11 PM
It is 2011. The celebrations are not going anywhere. I'd argue that the celebrations pump the team up. Just as long as they aren't long and drawn out like Santonio's. His 1st down celebration is very emotionless and very disrespectful to the refs who are always thinking he is going to hand them the ball and he drops it. AB, Hines, and Sanders on the other hand rant and rave and get the crowd into it. You cannot deny the increased decibels of a good ol' celebration move though!! Like it or not.
The point isn't so much that it's wrong or bad that he's doing it (although I find it annoying for normal receptions). The point is that it's probably a window into the future. Santonio Brown, here we come.

Fire Arians
12-12-2011, 11:16 PM
The point isn't so much that it's wrong or bad that he's doing it (although I find it annoying for normal receptions). The point is that it's probably a window into the future. Santonio Brown, here we come.

if that also means he'll be a super bowl mvp like santonio then i don't care if he celebrates the win by smoking 50 joints and gets kicked off the team for it lol

ricardisimo
12-12-2011, 11:34 PM
if that also means he'll be a super bowl mvp like santonio then i don't care if he celebrates the win by smoking 50 joints and gets kicked off the team for it lol
True, that.

VegasStlrFan
12-13-2011, 12:05 AM
Brown, never that impressed with "dime bag"... Holmes had to much off-field drama and not as much talent.

Steelersfan87
12-13-2011, 12:08 AM

And you don't think that's an unfair characterization? Why don't you say the same about Sanders? Why do you ignore the fact that Ward does the same thing? Is it because you're oblivious to the fact that most skill position players do it? Antonio Brown never even played together with Holmes. I think Wallace is by far the most likely to develop a distracting me-first mindset that Holmes had of the "Young Money Crew". You're literally saying "he celebrates when he gets first downs fairly frequently. WATCH OUT, future headcase on the way." You also ignore the fact that a lot of his receptions tend to come on third down as well, and third down conversions are often pretty big.

bornaSteelersfan
12-13-2011, 12:19 AM
Antonio Brown is a great player who made it to The Steelers on a very long and difficult journey. He is nothing like Santonio Holmes off the field. I think he's awesome and even his TD dances (though strange-looking) are fun to watch. I remember even our beloved Jerome Bettis celebrating good runs with his head shaking and stomping moves. Give the guy a break.