PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger, Pouncey sprains "not good"

mesaSteeler
12-09-2011, 06:24 PM
Roethlisberger, Pouncey sprains "not good"
Friday, December 09, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger and Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey have high-ankle sprains that have been described as "not good" and the Steelers will have to wait and see how their injuries develop before making any determinations on their playing status, the Post-Gazette has learned.
:banging::banging::banging::banging:

Roethlisberger and Pouncey each had a magnetic resonance imaging exam today, but neither of their injuries was determined to be a Grade 3 sprain -- the most severe kind of ankle sprain.

Ryan Tollner, Roethlisberger's agent, said in a text message today that his client is wearing a boot and "will need rest."

Roethlisberger was injured in the second quarter of Thursday night's 14-3 victory against the Cleveland Browns, but returned to start the second half and finish the game.

Pouncey never returned after he was injured in the second quarter.

First published on December 9, 2011 at 5:16 pm

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11343/1195801-100.stm#ixzz1g5R9r7Me

mesaSteeler
12-09-2011, 06:27 PM
The Steel Mill
News and updates about the Pittsburgh Steelers

MRI confirms high-ankle sprain for Ben
December 9th, 2011
http://blog.triblive.com/steel-mill/2011/12/09/mri-confirms-high-ankle-sprain-for-ben/

An MRI taken today confirmed that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger sustained a high-ankle sprain in the Steelers’ 14-3 win over the Browns.

Roethlisberger is in a walking boot and in a considerable amount of pain after receiving one of the biggest scares of his career.

Roethlisberger’s left foot got folded under his leg after he was hit low by Browns defensive tackle Scott Paxson in the second quarter.

Roethlisberger said he thought he had broken his leg, and he surprised many of his teammates by hobbling back onto the field after halftime and playing the entire second half.

He completed 8 of 12 passes for 178 yards and a touchdown in the second half. Roethlisberger also posted his higher passer rating of the season (129.6) despite playing on a bad leg for half the game.

It looks like it is going to be real close as to whether Roethlisberger will be able play Dec. 19 in San Francisco. The extra days of rest the Steelers get because of the schedule should help, but most players wouldn’t be able to make it make so soon after sustaining such a gruesome injury.

Then again, Roethlisberger isn’t most players as he showed in one of his career-defining performances.
Probably the best way to put his prospects for playing against the 49ers is this: Don’t bet on him. Don’t bet against him either.

– Scott Brown

theplatypus
12-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Nothing new

DanRooney
12-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Pouncey should sit next week.

theplatypus
12-09-2011, 06:44 PM
Pouncey should sit next week.

I wouldn't be surprised if neither of them played. He had more time to rest the same injury before the SB and couldn't play and this is just a regular season game.

sharkweek
12-09-2011, 07:50 PM
heck, flat out tell everyone Ben will be starting so that's who the 49ers prepare for, but draw up a game plan featuring Dixon scrambling like Tebow :noidea:

steelfury02
12-09-2011, 08:10 PM
yea - what exactly does "not good" mean? I feel the smoke blowin my way . . .

casteeler
12-09-2011, 08:12 PM
heck, flat out tell everyone Ben will be starting so that's who the 49ers prepare for, but draw up a game plan featuring Dixon scrambling like Tebow :noidea:

Dixon stinks, let's just cross our fingers that Ben can recover in the next 9 days. The Steelers have a sub-par offensive line and a decent running game so Dixon won't work for an option type Offensive plan

PhantomJB93
12-09-2011, 08:36 PM
If Ben cant go Im hoping for Dixon.

I love Batch and all but Dixon adds another dimension to the offense that, maybe can't be relied upon for long stretches of time, but for one or two games gives us a better chance to win IMO :noidea:

Goldsteel86
12-09-2011, 10:00 PM
It was "not good" last night, however Ben came back to throw the game winning TD. The benefit the Steelers have is 10 days off, now if you or I had a high ankle sprain it could take weeks to a month to heal, with the profession and status Ben has, you can rest assured that he will receive only the top treatment that the Rooney money can buy. Do I expect him to play against SF, to answer that frankly, hell yes. There is way too much on the line, just like last night, if there wasn't so much division implications on the line Ben would not have came back in. He will play, I would be totally shocked if he didn't, a sprain in the ankle is not going to sideline him if a broken thumb on his throwing hand hasn't.

austinfrench76
12-09-2011, 10:08 PM
The Pouncey injury hurts because of who replaces Legursky at guard . Much more than Legursky playing center. He's a heck of a back up center but Kemo is the worst! And Batch, this line will get him killed so we will definitely eventually see Dixon anyways. Why not start him??!

steelersfan77
12-09-2011, 10:30 PM
I fully expect Ben to play so that shouldn't be an issue. It's clear though this is going to be an injury he's going to have to deal with when it comes to pain the rest of the season. He's taken so many shots over the course of his career most of them coming from extending the play. He's extended the play since the moment he set foot in Baltimore when Maddox went down. He's never changed and he's never going to.

Hopefully for Pouncey this isn't an injury that lingers throughout his career. Playing the interior position there are so many opprotunities to get that ankled roled up on. I'd expect Pouncey to sit based on history and his ability to get back from a high ankle sprain.

Last thing I want to bring up is the hit that took place on Ben. First of all here's the video from youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aYcvZwMBkk&feature=related

Okay, since when are defensive players allowed to go low on quarterbacks? I thought this was a very detailed rule that wasn't mean to be broken. Going low on quarterbacks and blows to the helmet's of quarterbacks. Clearly the brown's defender dove at the knees with no help from an offensive player. Check it out.

Go figure, James gets a PF penalty for making contact to the helmet of a quarterback and the brown's defender get's no flag. Maybe I'm missing something here.

mesaSteeler
12-09-2011, 11:08 PM
Roethlisberger and Pouncey each had a magnetic resonance imaging exam today, but neither of their injuries was determined to be a Grade 3 sprain -- the most severe kind of ankle sprain.

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sprainsstrains/a/anklesprain.htm

Grade III Ankle Sprain:

Grade III ankle sprains are complete tears of the ligaments. The ankle is usually quite painful, and walking can be difficult. Patients may complain of instability, or a giving-way sensation in the ankle joint.

As said before, pain and swelling are the most common symptoms of an ankle sprain. Patients often notice bruising over the area of injury. This bruising will move down the foot towards the toes in the days after the ankle sprain--the reason for this is gravity pulling the blood downwards in the foot.

smheart78
12-10-2011, 12:49 AM
With St. Louis, we're pretty much guaranteed a playoff spot, I think he should rest it until Cleveland

ricardisimo
12-10-2011, 04:48 AM
With St. Louis, we're pretty much guaranteed a playoff spot, I think he should rest it until Cleveland
If we were playing St. Louis, this would be a no-brainer.

mesaSteeler
12-10-2011, 06:56 AM
MRIs spell trouble for Big Ben, Pouncey, but it could be worse
Saturday, December 10, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The bad news for the Steelers: MRIs have revealed that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey have high-ankle sprains that have been described as "not good," the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has learned.

The good news, if there is some when two of the team's top offensive players go down in the same game: ]Neither injury was determined to be a Grade 3 sprain[/U] -- the most severe kind. (I wish the PG would get it's story straight. - mesa)

The Steelers, coming off a 14-3 victory Thursday night against the Cleveland Browns and with 10 days until they visit San Francisco for their next game, will have to wait and see how the injuries progress before making determinations on their playing status against the 49ers.

Ryan Tollner, Roethlisberger's agent, said in a text message Friday that his client is wearing a boot and "will need rest."

Roethlisberger was injured Thursday night in the second quarter of the Steelers' 14-3 victory, but returned to start the second half and finished the game.

Pouncey never returned after he was injured in the second quarter.

High-ankle sprains typically sideline players for two to three weeks, depending on their severity. But that is not always the case.

Doctors always have maintained that players who have a second high-ankle sprain heal faster and return quicker than players who have suffered one for the first time.

Last year, for example, offensive tackle Flozell Adams had a high-ankle sprain that forced him from a game, but he returned to play the following week because it was not the first time his ankle had that type of injury.

Roethlisberger said this is the first one for him.

"I've never had a high-ankle sprain before, so I don't know what to expect," he said after the game. "But it feels like my ankle is about to explode. I'm ready to get off of it."

The Steelers think it might be harder for Pouncey to play against the 49ers because he needs his ankle for leverage in run-blocking and pass protection. Pouncey injured his left ankle against the Browns, and it is the same one he injured in the AFC championship game that kept him out of Super Bowl XLV.

Pouncey said after the game Thursday night that he will play in San Francisco. Of course, he said much the same thing before the Super Bowl, too, even though the Steelers knew all along he wasn't going to play.

Roethlisberger's ankle is less essential to his performance than Pouncey's. Against the Browns, he appeared to have more trouble reaching for handoffs than he did dropping back to pass and throwing. He passed for 178 yards and a touchdown after he returned and had another touchdown pass to Mike Wallace overturned by replay.

"It was hard to reach out to the guys," Roethlisberger said. "I abandoned all my rules and techniques. I am supposed to reverse out on some. I said, I don't care, I'm just going to get you guys the ball. That's what I had to do."

Roethlisberger got the high-ankle sprain in the second quarter when he was sacked by Browns defensive tackle Scott Paxson, a former Steelers reserve. He surprised many teammates when he came back on the field for the start of the second half and finished the game.

"You have to take him off the field on a stretcher to get him not to play," said backup quarterback Charlie Batch.

"I told him I'm happy to be his teammate," said wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery, who caught an 11-yard touchdown pass from Roethlisberger before he was injured. "He's a warrior in every sense."

Even a wounded warrior.
Gerry Dulac: gdulac@post-gazette.com and Twitter @gerrydulac.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11344/1195956-66-0.stm#ixzz1g8UTo0O7

mesaSteeler
12-10-2011, 06:59 AM
Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Roethlisberger's pain tolerance could determine status

By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, December 10, 2011

An MRI taken Friday confirmed that Ben Roethlisberger sustained a high-ankle sprain in the Steelers' 14-3 win over the Browns.

The Steelers' quarterback is in a walking boot -- and in a considerable amount of pain -- after getting his left foot folded under his leg Thursday night.

Roethlisberger played the entire second half after suffering a ghastly looking injury, and that was telling to Dr. James Gladstone.

"It either means it's not that severe a sprain, or he's just a remarkably tough guy," said Gladstone, the co-chief of sports medicine at Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York.

The latter is not in question, not after Roethlisberger completed 8 of 12 passes for 178 yards and a touchdown in the second half and then was barely able to walk after the game.

Roethlisberger received one of the biggest scares of his career after getting sacked by Browns defensive tackle Scott Paxson. The resulting injury raises serious questions about whether the two-time Super Bowl winner will be able to play Dec. 19 when the Steelers visit the San Francisco 49ers.

Low-ankle sprains are more manageable than high-ankle sprains, Gladstone said, because the injured ankle can be taped and generally prevented from rolling. High-ankle sprains, Gladstone, are actually more like lower leg injures.

Center Maurkice Pouncey didn't play in the Super Bowl last season after sustaining a high-ankle sprain two weeks earlier in the AFC Championship Game.

Like Roethlisberger, Pouncey suffered a high-ankle sprain last Thursday night, putting his availability for the Steelers' next game in question.

The Steelers get extra time to rest; they have 11 days off before their next game. High-ankle sprains, however, can take months to fully heal, Gladstone said.

Roethlisberger surprised his teammates -- and even himself to a degree -- by making it through the entire second half against the Browns.

"I really couldn't drop back to pass and really couldn't step into my throws," said Roethlisberger, who nevertheless finished with his highest passer rating (129.6) of the season. "The plan on my part was basically to give it one or two more plays and see how I could do it. It wasn't for any other reason than to be out there for my guys."

There were plenty of testimonials to Roethlisberger's toughness in the Steelers locker room after the team had held off the Browns.

"I told him I'm happy to be his teammate," said wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery, who caught an 11-yard touchdown pass from Roethlisberger before the latter got hurt. "He's a warrior in every sense. He's going to go out there and lay it on the line for his teammates."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Read more: Roethlisberger's pain tolerance could determine status - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_771352.html#ixzz1g8VQGyx2

Curtain_of_Steel
12-10-2011, 08:01 AM
We can get by without Legursky as we wont be able to run on the 49ers with Mendy auditioning for dancing with the stars each week.
Ben we will need.

If not Ben, we need Dixon as he can at least scramble and I personally think with some option plays he will be fine. Not sure if we will win with Dixon, but as long as Dixon can throw deep we have Wallace and Brown ready to catch.
Both will get plenty of snaps

The really bad side of this is Kemo having to play as we seen he killed 3-4 plays on penalties last game. The guy just plain out and out sucks. Cant wait till he gets his walking papers, let the J E T S jets jets jets sign him.

TRH
12-10-2011, 08:03 AM
Is Pouncey just going to be injured for his entire career? This is gettng ridiculous. It's as bad (if not worse) than Sepulveda

Curtain_of_Steel
12-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Its the ankle. Same injury from before, not sure on the same ankle. Its a spot that gets stepped on, lol

this isnt a groin hammy problem, MP is agreesive there, lots of movement, who know, we couldve stepped on his ankle, lol

tenn1968
12-10-2011, 09:16 AM
We all saw the hit on Ben replayed repeatedly and the way it looked like a serious injury. No matter how tough a guy someone is, no way someone can just go on playing as if nothing happened after that. Probably they should have sat him the rest of the game and I don't know about playing against San Francisco unless fully healed.

The Steelers will be in the playoffs anyway. To win the division, Steelers have to win the rest of the games and hope Baltimore loses to San Diego or Cincinnati (the rest of the Ravens games are automatic wins considering the competition).

I think the best course at this time is to bench big Ben until fully healed, or until the playoffs, whichever comes first. The Steelers have a better chance of running the table as a wild card team on the road with Ben, than they do winning the division but Ben gets hurt again then entering the playoffs with Batch as QB.

PhantomJB93
12-10-2011, 09:40 AM
I would say if he can play vs. San Fran, let him play, but if he still needs rest after that bench him for the Rams and Browns, simply because we *should* be able to win those games without him.

steelfury02
12-10-2011, 11:36 AM
It was one thing to wait out Ben's suspension at the beginning of the season but we are going to find out this team's real mettle over the course of the next few weeks . . .

Crom, I pray to you - please let us get the W with our without Ben and keep him healthy

Crom, if you don't help us, I say to hell with you

FanSince72
12-10-2011, 11:49 AM
The title of this article cracks me up: "Roethlisberger, Pouncey sprains "not good""

Is there such a thing as a GOOD sprain?

Steelersfan87
12-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Is Pouncey just going to be injured for his entire career? This is gettng ridiculous. It's as bad (if not worse) than Sepulveda

I don't think Pouncey is rolling on his own ankles by himself bro. Try thinking before you post.

FanSince72
12-10-2011, 12:07 PM
I don't think Pouncey is rolling on his own ankles by himself bro. Try thinking before you post.

Not by himself.

I think he has someone drive that six-wheeled golf cart thing over his legs while the defense is on the field.

steelfury02
12-10-2011, 12:55 PM
who is Pouncey?

Steel_Bus_24
12-10-2011, 01:01 PM
It was one thing to wait out Ben's suspension at the beginning of the season but we are going to find out this team's real mettle over the course of the next few weeks . . .

Crom, I pray to you - please let us get the W with our without Ben and keep him healthy

Crom, if you don't help us, I say to hell with you

http://cdn2.hark.com/images/000/024/844/24844/original.0

You no help me now, then I say F-You Jobu, I do it myself

Fire Arians
12-10-2011, 01:08 PM
The title of this article cracks me up: "Roethlisberger, Pouncey sprains "not good""

Is there such a thing as a GOOD sprain?

only if it happens to tom brady or ray lewis

ricardisimo
12-10-2011, 01:45 PM
What are you talking about? He's missed one game in his entire career as a Steeler. Granted, it was the Super Bowl, but you can put the gun back in the desk drawer. It's not what you seem to think it is.

Steelerindc
12-10-2011, 09:24 PM
Ben should sit against San Fran even if his ankle is feeling better which I doubt. This one game is not risking a playoff or potential run.

They should get Charlie ready and hope that he and the receivers can develop some chemistry in practice this week.

I would also rest Ben until the playoffs the earliest would be the Browns game. San Fran would bring the house against Ben and this make shift O-line

RichardCullinanForever
12-10-2011, 10:42 PM
Ben should sit against San Fran even if his ankle is feeling better which I doubt. This one game is not risking a playoff or potential run.

They should get Charlie ready and hope that he and the receivers can develop some chemistry in practice this week.

I would also rest Ben until the playoffs the earliest would be the Browns game. San Fran would bring the house against Ben and this make shift O-line

I don't think that we're a good enough road team to be able to make a playoff run with a #1 or #2 seed. I'm optimistic we could get it together, but I am not undermining the importance of this game @ SF at all.