PDA

View Full Version : I don't see Harrison being suspended

mesaSteeler
12-10-2011, 06:52 AM
NFL from the sidelines
http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot.com/

After hobnobbing around the NFL in the press boxes and sidelines, sports reporter Dale Lolley will let you know the insider scoop. Dale can also be heard as a sometime host on ESPN 970-AM. Follow him on Twitter at dlolleyor.
Friday, December 09, 2011
I don't see Harrison being suspended

I just don't see linebacker James Harrion getting suspended for his hit on Cleveland quarterback Colt McCoy Thursday night. A stiff fine in the $40,000 range? Sure.

But he hasn't had a helmet-to-helmet hit this season.

Heck Ray Lewis has had two in the past two years as well, but he got fined the minimum for the hit on Ward, his second in two seasons.

The NFL seems to have reset the clock this year, even though it says it didn't.

Steelers safety Ryan Clark's big fine came on his second offense, even though he had also been fined last season.

People are comparing this to Ndomukong Suh, but Suh had multiple infractions both this year and last. And, I might add, what he did came after a play was over. His stomp that was the final straw wasn't done in the context of playing the game.

Ben Roethlisberger was in a walking boot today. So was Maurkice Pouncey.

Some have questioned why Roethlisberger was able to return to the game with the same injury that Pouncey was unable to come back from.

It's simple, really. Roethlisberger isn't pushing on a 320-pound defensive tackle on every play like Pouncey needs to be able to do.

Roethlisberger's mobility was very limited following the injury. But he got by.

Pouncey would not have been able to do the same thing.

TRH
12-10-2011, 08:09 AM
Harrison won't be suspended (at least i would think so, but this is Goodell's office remember, and they have a huge hard-on for Harrison).
But 40 is low...even though if he's going to get fined, it should be in that range, if not below, expect him to get hit around the 100K mark.

Curtain_of_Steel
12-10-2011, 08:21 AM
First offense this year. No way he gets suspended and the fine should 25k or less. Deon Sanders made a compelling argument about him being a runner than did a quick dump, change the direct of his is intital run, once harrison was about to hit him etc.

Whatever reports of mccoy came out after the game, are irrelevant as they put him right back in, showing he was fine. the talking heads are trying to get him suspended.

BUT after 2 ejections the guy from the Raiders still is not suspended, Harrison is not Suh either. Harrison has been clean and tried to hit like a girl over the last 16 games, but sometime projectiles change in the air and you cant control the missile, shit happens.

tenn1968
12-10-2011, 09:19 AM
Mike and Mike on ESPN indicated yesterday that Harrison probably would be suspended. I think they said two games. They have called suspensions pretty accurately before, don't know if Goddel listens to that show or what.

Atlanta Dan
12-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Mike and Mike on ESPN indicated yesterday that Harrison probably would be suspended. I think they said two games. They have called suspensions pretty accurately before, don't know if Goddel listens to that show or what.

Ndamukong Suh's stomp on Thanksgiving cost him two games - hard to see how Harrison's hit on McCoy would draw an equivalent suspension

Sports talk radio and sites like Pro Football talk are intended to churn up controversy - as far as anything that is said being fact based I have my doubts

Sixburgher
12-10-2011, 09:29 AM

As he is completely spineless and has no intestinal fortitude of his own whatsoever, Goodell quite obviously uses the amount of "media outrage" over individual hits and player infractions as a major barometer for his discipline. Considering how much buzz his hit on McCoy is getting, it wouldn't surprise me in the least to see Harrison get 2 games.

PhantomJB93
12-10-2011, 09:38 AM
The fine can be anywhere from 75-100K and it will be justified. A suspension would be ludicrous. Maybe if this were the first game of the year but when your 3/4 through the season and this is your first and only offense all year, no suspension is justified.

grward
12-10-2011, 10:30 AM
The fine can be anywhere from 75-100K and it will be justified. A suspension would be ludicrous. Maybe if this were the first game of the year but when your 3/4 through the season and this is your first and only offense all year, no suspension is justified.

So you don't believe McCoy was a runner on that play? He tucked the ball and took off. He's a runner. This rule doesn't apply to runners. He shouldn't be fined nor suspended.

Steelerfreak58
12-10-2011, 11:26 AM
So you don't believe McCoy was a runner on that play? He tucked the ball and took off. He's a runner. This rule doesn't apply to runners. He shouldn't be fined nor suspended.

Take the Steelers yellow colored glasses off brother. Its Goodell and Harrison we are talking about. You know the guy who last year said if he was on FIRE he wouldn't piss on him to put it out. Goodell is going hit him up with a huge fine and utlize the words "REPEAT OFFENDER" as his shield.

Or we will have a new rule come out to protect QBs even more. It's only a matter of time till they wear red shirts on the field or have flags.

The future of this game is 700 yard passing games (mostly earned from penalties but they wont say that) for a QB with scores in the 70's or 80's. Its only a matter of time.

My opinion is he made a great hit on a guy running toward the line of scrimmage outside of the pocket. But my ideas on football are a dying breed and it is Goodell's league.

steelfury02
12-10-2011, 11:33 AM
My guess is Harrison will get somewhere between a 100,000 fine and a 1 game suspension

Some way some how you are right, Harrison will be treated as a repeat offender. No way Goodell does not at the very least, substantially increase the amount from the last fine he got

FanSince72
12-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Ndamukong Suh's stomp on Thanksgiving cost him two games - hard to see how Harrison's hit on McCoy would draw an equivalent suspension

Sports talk radio and sites like Pro Football talk are intended to churn up controversy - as far as anything that is said being fact based I have my doubts

Exactly.

If Harrison got a two-game suspension for what may be little more than a solid football play, then Suh - who clearly went far beyond anything that could even remotely be described as "football-like", should be banned for the rest of the season.

soulkitchen
12-10-2011, 09:32 PM
All we need is some jag-off to step up this weekend and do something to get the heads talking and the focus will shift. Then the media driven suspension will vanish into thin air.

ETL
12-10-2011, 11:25 PM
I see a $35,000 to $45,000 fine. No suspension.

casteeler
12-11-2011, 01:01 AM
Unfortunately this is Harrison's 7th time being fined so a suspension wouldn't be a huge surprise, I can't see how Harrison can pull up if McCoy didn't make up his mind on Running the ball or throwing it. Defensive players are going to wind up seriously injuring themselves avoiding contact, how far does the NFL expect players to go, maybe vanish into thin air?

MACH1
12-11-2011, 01:41 AM
Unfortunately this is Harrison's 7th time being fined so a suspension wouldn't be a huge surprise, I can't see how Harrison can pull up if McCoy didn't make up his mind on Running the ball or throwing it. Defensive players are going to wind up seriously injuring themselves avoiding contact, how far does the NFL expect players to go, maybe vanish into thin air?

Godell expects them to defy the law of physics.

Bayz101
12-11-2011, 04:44 AM
I know the Browns are probably praying he's not suspended. If that happens, questions over whether or not McCoy suffered a concussion as a result of the hit will probably explode, and the concussion policy will be brought into the light. A suspension may be bad for both the NFL AND the Browns. Either way. This is his first offence this year, so I doubt there'll be a suspension. $35,000-$50,000 in my honest opinion. Does he deserve it? Hell no.

TESS743
12-11-2011, 01:03 PM
i really hope that james is not suspended and i'm sick and tired of NFL network and ESPN talking it up. but, do you guys feel that with an important game coming up for us on Monday night, that this would be the perfect time for idiot goodell to suspend james?:mad:

TRH
12-11-2011, 01:51 PM
I see a $35,000 to $45,000 fine. No suspension.

hahahaha... :sofunny:
It's going to A LOT more than that, my friend....

TRH
12-11-2011, 01:54 PM
I don't think James should be suspended at all.
Unfortunately, the media's is completely running with the story and attitude that he should be suspended and based on the way the NFL has been operating the last 2 years, they almost always succumb to media pressure anymore. Hell, even the media is guessing the amount of fines now.

Steelersfan87
12-11-2011, 04:17 PM
It's been a full 16 game season, including playoffs, since Harrison was last flagged for a personal foul, and I'm pretty sure the last two personal fouls that he had were for only roughing the passer, and not helmet-to-helmet hits, against Ryan Fitzpatrick and Drew Brees.

Here are all of Harrison's "illegal" hits last year, including the Cribbs hit which he wasn't fined or flagged for. The only helmet to helmet hit he was fined for was the Massaquoi hit, which was week 5 I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BfxMalwza4&feature=fvwrel

Ignore the horrible "music".

Steel_Bus_24
12-11-2011, 04:34 PM
It's been a full 16 game season, including playoffs, since Harrison was last flagged for a personal foul, and I'm pretty sure the last two personal fouls that he had were for only roughing the passer, and not helmet-to-helmet hits, against Ryan Fitzpatrick and Drew Brees.

Here are all of Harrison's "illegal" hits last year, including the Cribbs hit which he wasn't fined or flagged for. The only helmet to helmet hit he was fined for was the Massaquoi hit, which was week 5 I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BfxMalwza4&feature=fvwrel

Ignore the horrible "music".

Yeah its been pathetic, James has been squeaky clean by his standards this year

Half these POS media people don't like James and the type of defense and wish them to be banished so more Fantasy numbers can be racked up

The other half want more controversy between Harrison and Goodell so they can blab/write about it more

Chadmagic
12-11-2011, 08:40 PM
Harrison will be made the example and he will get a fine of $50k and a game off. That is what I think. But I think James is right on the money when he says that the QB is a runner once he leaves the pocket. But Goodell makes the rules and can choose to enforce or ignore them as he sees fit. Sadly, their is nothing anyone can do to Goodell. No checks and balances. I think that needs to change.

Their is one check that the fans can do, though. And that is to write Goodell some good old fashioned hate mail and to stop watching the games. Ratings Rule on tv. Take them away and the game HAS to change.

Boomer
12-11-2011, 09:07 PM
Harrison will be made the example and he will get a fine of $50k and a game off. That is what I think. But I think James is right on the money when he says that the QB is a runner once he leaves the pocket. But Goodell makes the rules and can choose to enforce or ignore them as he sees fit. Sadly, their is nothing anyone can do to Goodell. No checks and balances. I think that needs to change.

Their is one check that the fans can do, though. And that is to write Goodell some good old fashioned hate mail and to stop watching the games. Ratings Rule on tv. Take them away and the game HAS to change.

Stop watching the games, stop going to the games, stop buying NFL products all together. Drastic measures for sure but money talks and it's the only way they listen. Now people will call you crazy for suggesting such things, so I guess the NFL and this new football will win in the end but there's not many other ways to fix things.

TRH
12-11-2011, 09:12 PM

I don't agree with the matter, but my guess is 100K (minimum, if not more) and a game off.

desTROY43
12-11-2011, 09:27 PM
goodell has been chomping at the bit for a reason to get back at james for his comments he made last season. this late in the season and the first time for james to get flagged for an unnecessary roughness call, i'm sure goodell jumped out of his seat with excitement and yelled "i got you now james".

FanSince72
12-11-2011, 09:53 PM
The part of this that burns me up is crap like this (from Adam Schefter on ESPN) who writes: "Ndamukong Suh became the first player suspended for on-field play earlier this season, and the league is strongly considering doling out its second suspension in two weeks."

What Suh did had nothing to do with "on-field play".

In Suh's case, the "play" was over and while everyone else was unpiling and going back to their huddles, Suh got busy pounding Evan Dietrich-Smith's head into the turf at least three or four times and then got up and decided to stomp him on his arm as he walked away.

What pisses me off is that what Harrison did is being mentioned in the same sentence with this crap.
At best, Harrison could be accused of perhaps not pulling back and instead deciding to hit McCoy with full-force, but what he did WAS part of "on-field play" and might best be described as "over-zealous" but was well within his job description as a linebacker.

The only description of Suh's conduct would be that if he did what he did to someone on the sidewalk outside a barroom, he'd be under arrest for aggravated battery.

And what pushes me over the edge is that if Harrison gets a two-gamer out of this, then that would imply that what he did was at least as bad as what Suh did and that's just plain unadulterated bullshit.

Harrison may be guilty of being a bit too wound up on the field and being too intense as a linebacker but Suh seems more like a psychopath with anger issues and to compare his assault on another player with Harrison's aggressive tackling is insane.

Fire Arians
12-11-2011, 10:01 PM
i don't think he'll be suspended. and i agree with the above poster. suh's thuggery can not be said in the same sentence as a player who just plays his position with intensity

Black N' Yellow
12-11-2011, 11:15 PM
And everybody seems to forget that Harrison is only 6' tall. If he's running towards McCoy who's 6'1" and is trying to see what the quarterback's gonna do, his head is gonna be upright at the same level as McCoy. I didn't even see Harrison lead with his helmet.

McCoy got his ass handed to him for running towards a linebacker. Nothing more and nothing less.

sharkweek
12-12-2011, 01:44 AM
unless Goodell is going to retroactively change the rules and also enforce an expectation that players needed to know those rules before they existed, Harrison should receive no suspension and no fine

I don't see a fine without a suspension, because McCoy was out of the pocket with the ball tucked, and whats more is McCoy had scrambled on several occasions prior

McCoy was running directly in Harrison's direction with a tucked ball, and instead of moving away from the defender or sliding, he decides to slam on the breaks right at the LOS, bring the ball up from a tucked position, and dump a pass off before getting drilled.

I really don't see how they can fine him for this without a suspension as well, because a fine would imply he did something wrong, and as a repeat offender of his stature he should be suspended. That's not to say he couldn't appeal it (for reasons that he simply didn't do anything wrong by the letter of the law, or even that he's been clean for 16+ games)

LayingTheWoodley56
12-12-2011, 12:06 PM
I don't think that Harrison will get suspended for this. Definitely a fine in the $80-100,000 range, but their is too much of a grey area on this hit, with the question being whether or not McCoy would be considered a runner at the time. Goodell and his cronies should hit him with a hefty fine and make it clear that the next incident like this will cause them to put Silverback in timeout for a game and make him think about what he did.