PDA

View Full Version : Will Ben play against SF?

Bayz101
12-11-2011, 02:41 AM
That's the question in everybody's mind right now. Ben came back for the second half of Thursday's game and performed even better than he did without an injured ankle in the first half. This may seem like a good indication that he'll be fine...But it's just not that simple.

After an ankle injury like the one he suffered, swelling begins to set it. It doesn't happen immediately, but it usually comes WELL before 11 days, and lasts at least TWICE that long. Not only does it hurt, it makes moving even more difficult, and added precautions will be taken to assure the foot will be fully protected at all times. This leads me to the line.

Pouncey suffered an injury much like Ben's in Thursday's game as well. If Pouncey doesn't play against SF, that's a modified version of an already dubbed "Patchwork" offensive line, and surely, the line needs to be protecting Ben as well as possible, and without our young ProBowl center, that may be difficult.

But all in all, Ben's superman attitude will have him begging to get in this one. I think we know that. If I we're Tomlin, i'd let Ben play if he's ready. Although it is an out of conference match up, every win counts towards our division battle. I think we'll see Ben on MNF in San Francisco.

GO STEELERS!

Extra Note: Harrison injured his orbital bone earlier this season, and missed some games. But what most people don't know, is that he returned in the game he broke the orbital bone, and played. This proves, that even though Ben returned for the second half of the Browns game, nothing is sure until all tests are done.

bubbletownwr88
12-11-2011, 11:57 AM
he played the second half of the Cleveland game. i see no reason why he couldn't play this game

Fire Arians
12-11-2011, 12:08 PM
he played the second half of the Cleveland game. i see no reason why he couldn't play this game

most likely the case, especially if the ravens win today and next week

Bayz101
12-11-2011, 12:10 PM

The pain of the injury is heavily amplified by the post-injury swelling, which has likely already begun. Chances are if he does play, he'll be in twice as much pain as he was on Thursday. Judging by his limp, that's a LOT of pain.

Fire Arians
12-11-2011, 12:16 PM
The pain of the injury is heavily amplified by the post-injury swelling, which has likely already begun. Chances are if he does play, he'll be in twice as much pain as he was on Thursday. Judging by his limp, that's a LOT of pain.

the extra 3 days will help. swelling phase usually starts to subside after 4 days. ben will prolly take a painkiller and get in there knowing him.

not as optimistic on pouncey, he might not be back until playoffs. i hope to god kemo can play 1 week without jackass penalties

Atlanta Dan
12-11-2011, 12:24 PM
. i hope to god kemo can play 1 week without jackass penalties

Dulac of the P-G says it is over for Kemo (the game film apparently showed 3 more holds that were not called) - Dulac says Essex will start over Kemo

Fire Arians
12-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Dulac of the P-G says it is over for Kemo (the game film apparently showed 3 more holds that were not called) - Dulac says Essex will start over Kemo

nice, i hope kemo is a salary cap casualty after this season is over. wanted to support him since he's a hawaii dude also but he's been too stupid for too long. my patience finally ran out with him last thursday.

GMU Steeler
12-11-2011, 12:32 PM

Good. I think Kemo just may be my least favorite guy on the team. Guy is just so undisciplined.

Steel_Bus_24
12-11-2011, 03:42 PM
I think he needs to sit, we need to have something left for the playoffs

unless it gets to the point where we might miss a Playoff Berth

but Hopefully Batch can play well enough down the stretch

StainlessStill
12-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Ben will play. The division is still on the line and the Ravens won today. If the Chargers somehow beat Baltimore next week and we are sitting on the night game he DEFIANTLY will play since a win will pretty much sure up the division in that scenario and I believe we can beat the 9'ers with Ben limited. He's going to play. If not, they better be working on that run blocking like maniacs ALL WEEK.

steelfury02
12-11-2011, 03:55 PM
well don't expect a 100% answer either way until right before game time

Bayz is correct on the swelling - however, the time for the swelling to subside differs from person to person

Its a fine line because you do need to elevate the thing and it should require some rest. If Ben practices - it might only be for 1 practice

one thing that has to be taken into consideration, and why I like our chances - is because there is now a source out saying they are def mulling a suspension for Harrison and this team, especially defense is going to be TICKED OFF to say the least. We are going to see a crap storm coming from the Steelers media if that happens - right now it seems they are leaning that way based on most recent reports

Steelersfan87
12-11-2011, 04:09 PM
nice, i hope kemo is a salary cap casualty after this season is over. wanted to support him since he's a hawaii dude also but he's been too stupid for too long. my patience finally ran out with him last thursday.

I can't see any scenario in which he's not. He certainly doesn't deserve his contract, even if he didn't lose his starting position. I've been convinced since the beginning of the season that this would be his last year here.

Yinzer Dolt
12-11-2011, 04:25 PM
I hope Jen Plays. SF D is no Joke.

Bayz101
12-11-2011, 04:40 PM

I have a friend from Waimea who's met him. He says he has ADD. Or something like that.

Bayz101
12-11-2011, 04:43 PM
I can't see any scenario in which he's not. He certainly doesn't deserve his contract, even if he didn't lose his starting position. I've been convinced since the beginning of the season that this would be his last year here.

I was convinced ever since he dived into a late hit against the Ravens or the Jets in last years playoffs. Dumb penalty's create unneeded problems.

Bayz101
12-11-2011, 04:47 PM
well don't expect a 100% answer either way until right before game time

Bayz is correct on the swelling - however, the time for the swelling to subside differs from person to person

Its a fine line because you do need to elevate the thing and it should require some rest. If Ben practices - it might only be for 1 practice

one thing that has to be taken into consideration, and why I like our chances - is because there is now a source out saying they are def mulling a suspension for Harrison and this team, especially defense is going to be TICKED OFF to say the least. We are going to see a crap storm coming from the Steelers media if that happens - right now it seems they are leaning that way based on most recent reports

Oh yeah, everyone's different. Just like most people wouldn't be out there playing on a high ankle sprain just a matter of minutes after the injury. No reason to beileve he won't play, or heal quickly. As for Harrison, suspension or not, I have a feeling we'll see a pissed off defense either way :boxing:

It'll be an interesting Monday :D

tanda10506
12-11-2011, 06:06 PM
I think Ben will play, but we won games with Batch last year. If he practices with the first team offense all week we can win in SF with him. When he came in against Cleveland, Arians playcalling turned to sh*t, he seems afraid to let Batch throw. Of course the play calling needs to be different but Batch can throw and it's going to be hard to run on the SF defense. If we win our 3 games and the Ravens just lose one, we win the division and most likely the #1 seed. This game is huge as are the remaining two after it, Ben will play.

steelfury02
12-11-2011, 07:28 PM
anyone still thinking Houston can't win out?
No guarantees for #1 seed even if we win division

Fire Arians
12-11-2011, 07:34 PM

houston will run the table, the rest of their schedule is weak and cincy had the best shot to take them down. dalton just can't find the end zone.

i still think houston will be 1 and done in the playoffs though.

SF has proven to be what I thought they were. A pretty good team with a softee schedule. We should be able to beat them if ben plays. the only player that worries me from SF is ginn vs our kickoff/punt coverage.

Pentheon
12-11-2011, 08:13 PM
No question IMO, every game is a must win to keep it a tight race for the division and #1 seed overall...pouncey will prolly be a different story and id rather see him rest. Hes huge for our o line but theres no doubt we need ben to make big plays for us even though I would love for him to get the rest too

finesward
12-11-2011, 08:20 PM
Our special teams coverage units have been the best in recent memory...so ginn might be due to break that streak. I hope we can contain him b/c a big return will get that crowd into it and make it even harder to win. A team like SF, which is pretty good but not great, can elevate their game if the fans are in it. If anyone watched the IU Kentucky game this past week it was a prime example.

As far as Ben, i'm hesitant to give him the go. That san fran D can get after the QB especially if they can pin their ears back knowing he won't be able to scramble. Problem is there isn't much difference if we put batch in there they will still do the same thing, so why not put him in there? Dixon would be an interesting option for this game. I can't remember him being active this year at all...did I forget an injury or something? I'd like to see him in vs. charlie if they decide to sit ben. At least dixon can roll out and give some different looks to counter the pass rush. Big monday night game though, that scares me...If I'm not mistaken his last start vs. the ravens was prime time and he played rather timid. I hope the D shows up and wins the game again this week. They seem to do well when pressed into action like during the suspension last year and last week against the browns. I find it funny that some people on here feel like they didn't show up last week. :toofunny:

jjpro11
12-11-2011, 08:24 PM

if Houston wins out, so be it... winning out and winning the AFCN will still get us the #2 seed and bye.. and if we get that, i'd be just as happy.

Chadmagic
12-11-2011, 09:16 PM
Now here is something to think about. Houston clinched their division today, so they might start resting people. If so, they might drop a game. And the Ravens have the Chargers next week. Which might not be as easy as the Ravens are thinking. The Bolts lit it up today. And if they can put together 2 good games in a row, they may end up giving the Ratbirds their 4th loss. I think this is a trap game for the Ravens.

Now for us in SF, I think Ben will probably miss this game. That foot got twisted really bad and I for one am as surprised as Ben was that it wasn't broken. I just don't see him being able to scramble out of the pocket on it. And with our Oline we all know he is going to be scrambling a lot.

The good news is, that I don't think SF is quite as good as their record shows. They lost today giving them 3 for the season. The Ravens certainly didn't have a problem with them, so I don't expect us too. Keep this in mind: Over the last 3 games, our defense has held our opponents to just a single digit score. Thats some good defense. I think they will keep it up for this game.

Boomer
12-11-2011, 09:21 PM
If Ben doesn't play then you gotta start Dixon. Batch will get killed by SF's defense won't he??

StainlessStill
12-11-2011, 11:35 PM
If Ben doesn't play then you gotta start Dixon. Batch will get killed by SF's defense won't he??

I can't even begin to fathom on why you're even thinking this. Dixon has been inactive for most of the games and will be LUCKY to even get practice with the second team offense in practice. Batch is WELL capable of getting the W against San Fran. Hell, the 9'ers are the kind of team that plays our game and they have the kind of QB that we FEAST on. Their team is very boring and very beatable. We can handle them with an injured Roethlisberger and if it comes to it, Batch.

How easily people forget it was Batch in the lineup last season when the Steelers went 3-1 and Dixon barely could move the offense a single yard.

ETL
12-11-2011, 11:52 PM
i would sit Ben

LVSteelersfan
12-11-2011, 11:55 PM
If Harrison is suspended and Woodley still can't play, it could be a very tough game to win if Ben is also out. I don't want him to play if he can't but I hope he heals quickly once again. Sylvester and Worilds have to step it up a notch if both are out. I think Gore is the problem. Alex Smith is a joke of a QB. They got all those wins off Defense and Gore.

Fire Arians
12-11-2011, 11:59 PM

id rather have tim tebow than dixon. batch all the way

i don't know why there's so many batch doubters, he's always answered the call when counted on. im sure he'll get more reps in practice

MACH1
12-12-2011, 12:40 AM
I like our chances with the niners even if Ben sits.

IF we can get a lead on them the niners aren't a good come from behind team.

ricardisimo
12-12-2011, 02:07 AM
I like our chances with the niners even if Ben sits.

IF we can get a lead on them the niners aren't a good come from behind team.
Good point. And whatever other issues I have with Arians, he's been close to money on opening drives this year, so theoretically...