PDA

View Full Version : Harrison awaits repercussions from hit

mesaSteeler
12-11-2011, 08:39 AM
By Ralph N. Paulk
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, December 10, 2011

In the aftermath of the Steelers' sluggish 14-3 victory over Cleveland on Thursday night, an unapologetic James Harrison was somewhat perplexed about the roughing-the-passer penalty he incurred late in the fourth quarter.

Cleveland quarterback Colt McCoy left the pocket to complete a pass to Montario Hardesty with 5:59 to play and the Browns trailing, 7-3. Harrison delivered a vicious helmet-to-helmet blow that left McCoy stretched out on the cold, ragged Heinz Field turf.

The penalty tacked on 15 yards, placed the ball on the Steelers' 19 and positioned the Browns to steal a rare victory in this one-sided AFC North rivalry. But five plays later, cornerback William Gay intercepted a hurried pass from a disoriented McCoy.

Harrison isn't likely to escape the wrath of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell when league officials deliberate next week to consider either a fine or suspension -- or both.

"From what I understand, once the quarterback leaves the pocket, he's a runner," Harrison said. "All the 'defenseless' liberties a quarterback has in the pocket are gone.

"You can tackle him just as if he's a running back. The hit wasn't late, so I really don't understand why it was called. We'll see what transpires later on in the week."

According to a league spokesman, Harrison's hit on McCoy probably will be reviewed early next week to determine whether referee Ed Hochuli's crew erred in penalizing Harrison for illegal contact to the head - a rule change tweaked specifically to protect "a passer who is in a defenseless posture."

Harrison clearly made contact with McCoy's helmet as he torpedoed his 255-pound body into the Browns' quarterback, who was exposed after releasing the pass. McCoy, who later complained of concussion-like symptoms, said he couldn't remember Harrison's hit. He was visibly dazed as he walked through the stadium corridor prior to his postgame interview.

Harrison and his agent, Bill Parise, are preparing for Goodell to deliver the next blow in a verbal sparring match that began when Harrison publicly ridiculed the commissioner during the NFL lockout for insinuating he's a dirty player.

However, it's Harrison's past that appears to give Goodell leverage to issue a significant fine. The All-Pro linebacker was fined more than $100,000 for three incidents last season, including a helmet-to-helmet blow to Cleveland wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi.

"There was nothing dirty about that (McCoy) hit," Parise said Friday. "There was nothing malicious about it. It was nothing more than a great player making a great play.

"I don't think anyone watching (Thursday) night - including the league office - feels that was a flagrant hit. It's just football. It was a tenth of a second between (McCoy) releasing the ball and James hitting him."

Parise acknowledged that he and Harrison exchanged text messages yesterday, but declined to say if their conversation centered on how they will move forward if the league opts to fine Harrison.

"There are a couple of issues here," Parise said. "The (league) will look at the tape, and I would want to hear what they say before James and I make a decision.

"I'm certainly willing to appeal. Right now, we're all sitting here saying, 'What if?' I think it's proven that appeals are basically worthless."

However, Parise convinced league officials last season to reduce two of Harrison's fines.

It may not factor into Goodell's decision, but the Steelers are among the most heavily fined teams in the league this season. Safeties Ryan Clark and Troy Polamalu have both been fined twice this season, including Clark's $40,000 fine for his Nov. 6 hit on Ravens tight end Ed Dickson.

Ralph N. Paulk can be reached at rpaulk@tribweb.com or 412-320-7923

Read more: Harrison awaits repercussions from hit - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/print_771327.html#ixzz1gEW3VfDv

FanSince72
12-11-2011, 10:21 AM
So what's the deal with Goodell and Harrison?

Did Harrison run over his dog some time ago or what?
I mean, I get the whole Sheriff thing about wanting to clean up the bad hits but there is definitely something more to this when it comes to Harrison. It's seems more and more like there's something personal going on here and it even seems to extend to the Steelers as an organization.

I wonder what's in Goodell's closet that makes him focus so much on one team and specifically one player?

Boomer
12-11-2011, 10:27 AM

I mean, I get the whole Sheriff thing about wanting to clean up the bad hits but there is definitely something more to this when it comes to Harrison. It's seems more and more like there's something personal going on here and it even seems to extend to the Steelers as an organization.

I wonder what's in Goodell's closet that makes him focus so much on one team and specifically one player?

Goodell's in Roger Kraft's back pocket. Who's owners box is he always seen sitting in? So of course he's gonna hate the Steelers. But that's OK, we hate him back. I don't wish bad things on people but he's an exception to that rule.

Sixburgher
12-11-2011, 10:51 AM

Harrison didn't do himself any favors this past offseason during the lockout when he made a number of quite unflattering comments to the media about Goodell.

Atlanta Dan
12-11-2011, 10:54 AM

Well - if you want to keep it from getting personal it probably is not wise to hand out these sorts of quotes:chuckle:

When Harrison was summoned to league headquarters in November to meet with Goodell, NFL executive vice president Ray Anderson, and director of football operations Merton Hanks, he was made to watch a reel of his questionable hits plucked from four years as a starter. “They take 10 plays out of 4,000 snaps and want to know my thought process on each,” he says. “What I tried to explain to Goodell, but he was too stupid to understand, is that dudes crouch when you go to hit them. With Massaquoi, my target area was his waist and chest, but he lowered himself at the last possible second and I couldn’t adjust to his adjustment. But Goodell, who’s a devil, ain’t hearing that. Where’s the damn discretion, the common sense?”

He goes on in cold fury, spitting curses and charges, none of which will earn him sympathy from the “devil” or endorsements for Double Stuf Oreos. “Fa**ot Goodell” (also described as a “punk” and “dictator” by Harrison), Anderson (“another dummy who never played a down”), and Hanks, a former Pro Bowl safety with the Niners (“he needs to be ashamed because he played D before, though he never was what you’d call a real hitter”), conspired, he says, to target the Steelers

http://www.mensjournal.com/jamesharrison/2

But if Goodell does issue a suspension it will be because a lot of media talking heads are pushing for it (local Atlanta sports talk supported a suspension this morning) rather than any personal vendetta - this all started in October 2010 after Goodell overreacted to Rodney Harrison and Tony Dungy going nuts about helmet to helmet hits on the NFL Sunday night pregame show after Harrison and players from Atlanta & New England had helmet to helmet hits earlier that day. Goodell worries first and foremost about how to spin the media (e.g. - Roethlisberger gets a 4 game suspension without even being charged, let alone convicted, of a crime)

FanSince72
12-11-2011, 12:20 PM
I personally will never fault anyone for speaking their mind as long as whatever they say is what they truly believe.
But I DO get the politics of such things and I DO understand how such comments can have an effect on ego-sensitive people like Goodell.

But coming on the heels of Suh's childishness, I still think it would be difficult to suspend Harrison - especially if it was for two games - and have it seem fair in comparison. This is especially true since Harrison's actions (though extreme to some) can still be viewed as part of "playing football" while Suh's actions clearly had nothing to do with making a play and were completely beyond anything that could be described as having anything to do with the play of the game.

It's sort of like one person getting 20 years for murder and someone else getting the same sentence for punching someone in the nose.

Atlanta Dan
12-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Talking head Chariie Casserly joined the chorus by pushing for a 1 game suspension on the CBS pregame show

ESPN also is saying a 1 or 2 game ban is under consideration

The NFL is considering suspending Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker James Harrison one or two games for his helmet-to-helmet hit on Cleveland Browns quarterback Colt McCoy, according to an NFL source.

The debate about whether Harrison will be suspended will continue at NFL offices Monday morning. But at the very least, he will be hit with a hefty fine for his latest controversial hit

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7341324/ban-being-mulled-pittsburgh-steelers-james-harrison-source-says

Since Suh got 2 games my guess is the "compromise" will be a 1 game suspension for Harrison

JCPsteelers
12-11-2011, 02:07 PM
Its such BS if Harrison gets suspended.

Fire Arians
12-11-2011, 02:26 PM

this

xbroughneck
12-11-2011, 02:37 PM

I'll be the first to admit that the league has been out to make an example of Harrison, but that hit against Mccoy is deserving of a fine at least.

Atlanta Dan
12-11-2011, 02:38 PM

It is how the game is played now - Redskins just got called for hitting Brady as he just started to go into a slide - Dierdorf called bulls**t on that one

Bottom line is you now can never hit the QB in the helmet, even if he is running, or hit a QB if he may start his slide

SteelMusic
12-11-2011, 02:38 PM
Ok, who saw that flag on Fletcher for a "forearm to the head" of Marsha? This is getting out of hand and then he sits there and claps about getting a cheap penalty.

Brady slides at the very last second and Fletcher goes for the hit and contacts Brady while he is still like in the air in the process of dropping for a slide. Refs say Fletcher hit is head with his forearm after the crowd goes nutz booing the Refs for the cheap flag. Oh and the worst part - Fletcher,s forearm never even hit his head. Amazing!

Edit: What did Marsha do the very next play? Ran the ball. Sorry for the rant but this stuff is ruining football.

Atlanta Dan
12-11-2011, 02:41 PM
It is how the game is played now - Redskins just got called for hitting Brady as he just started to go into a slide - Dierdorf called bulls**t on that one

Bottom line is you now can never hit the QB in the helmet, even if he is running, or hit a QB if he may start his slide

Of course those "rules" do not apply if you wear #7 and play QB for Pittsburgh

RichardCullinanForever
12-11-2011, 02:45 PM
The fact that after ever play the commentators say 'no flags on the play' pretty much sums up the state of the NFL today. It is a disgrace. After a big 3rd down stop, I almost feel guity when no flag is thrown.

TRH
12-11-2011, 03:00 PM
well, i orignally was thinking "no way" for a supension......but at this point i fully 100% expect it now. Why? Because of the media and sportstalk push for the fine and suspension. Half the media pushing this hard have no idea of what they're talking about. It's sad. These plays happen literally bang-band in a half second and all they do is slow the tape down to slow motion and play it over and over and over and tell you "what they would have did or what James should have done..". Its absolutely ridiculous and absurd.

I do agree with one thing his agent says : Appeals have been deemed utterly worthless. Which is more BS. Hard to appeal when you have a dictator and a couple of his kiss-a** minions making all the decisions.

TRH
12-11-2011, 03:02 PM
The fact that after ever play the commentators say 'no flags on the play' pretty much sums up the state of the NFL today. It is a disgrace. After a big 3rd down stop, I almost feel guity when no flag is thrown.

true. And the officiating is so bad that if there's a close play, all the opposing player has to do is start jumping up and down and pointing at the other player. And a flag magically appears.
Spineless, boneless refs can't even use their own judgment anymore. Its starting to become blatantly obvious that the refs doing the games are afraid of the league office.

FanSince72
12-11-2011, 04:24 PM
OK, here's another one...

Jets / Chiefs. Sanchez gets hit in a very similar way to McCoy but backs up two steps and remains standing.

Result: Roughing the passer.

A few minutes later, Palko throws a pass and then a second or so goes by and he then gets clobbered and ends up face down on the ground.

Result: No flags

Bonus Result: Teammate screams at ref from sidelines about no flag and gets slapped with15-yard Unsportsmanlike Conduct.

Personal Observation: I don't care how hard or with what part of a defenders body a QB gets hit, if the QB doesn't fall down it can't be roughing the passer!

This isn't just bullshit, this is schizophrenic bullshit.

Steel_Bus_24
12-11-2011, 04:32 PM
FFF goodell and all his Fantasy Football Loving assbags whining about tough defenses

Go ahead you POS, this is just going to piss off the Steelers even more

jjpro11
12-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Ok, who saw that flag on Fletcher for a "forearm to the head" of Marsha? This is getting out of hand and then he sits there and claps about getting a cheap penalty.

Brady slides at the very last second and Fletcher goes for the hit and contacts Brady while he is still like in the air in the process of dropping for a slide. Refs say Fletcher hit is head with his forearm after the crowd goes nutz booing the Refs for the cheap flag. Oh and the worst part - Fletcher,s forearm never even hit his head. Amazing!

Edit: What did Marsha do the very next play? Ran the ball. Sorry for the rant but this stuff is ruining football.

Wilfork got penalized for hitting an untouched running back ball carrier on the ground too hard. that entire game was what is wrong with the NFL.

Chadmagic
12-11-2011, 09:25 PM
I think someone should be waiting for Goodell when he gets home one nite. They should be waiting in the shadows, of a dimly lit room, sitting in a corner chair, smoking a cigar. When Goodell walks in, the stranger in the room, with a gruff, firm voice, tells him to "Sit down, and listen". At the same time flashing a glint of a gun. Then slowly telling him that the problem with the NFL, isn't the players, or the coaches its the rule maker. And that if things didn't change the very next Sunday, that they would be back. And they would show him what an illegal hit is. At that point he asks for Goodells hand. Goodell reluctantly reaches out toward the shadowy figure. The cigar is puffed to make sure its nice and hot and is promptly and forcibly put out on the back of Goodells hand. "Let this be a reminder of what you have to do and what can be done to you if you don't."
The shadowy man gets ups quietly, and leaves via the back door. And just before the door closes, says "See you next week!"

thats how I see it.

Boomer
12-11-2011, 09:56 PM
You know guys, maybe the NFL is telling us they don't want or need old school football fans anymore. The football we grew up watching and loving is gone. The NFL now wants to be like the arena league football crap but on a bigger field. All offense...no defense. All these rules changes say this is their plan. Wanting to expand to Europe, wanting a team in LA that does NOT like football. Wanting more games and then preaching all this safety BS.
It's like the NFL is a store. We used to buy this one product they sold but that item has been discontinued. But we show up at the store and get all pissed off because we can't find it anymore. All we can really do is to stop going to that store. The NFL is a business that is taking a business risk. Will this new product be successful? Will they miss the die hard football fans? Will these new fantasy football type fans be enough to support the game? Only time will tell. But it's obvious they don't want our opinion about their product. And for now they don't care if they run us off. I do know that I'm tired of getting pissed off about some stupid decision or rule week in and week out. It's gotten old. I'm one of the biggest Steelers fans in the world, but we all have our breaking point. I don't know that I have reached mine yet but I can't be far from it. But what else do you do? Who knows, I sure don't.

TRH
12-11-2011, 10:10 PM
You know guys, maybe the NFL is telling us they don't want or need old school football fans anymore. The football we grew up watching and loving is gone. The NFL now wants to be like the arena league football crap but on a bigger field. All offense...no defense. All these rules changes say this is their plan. Wanting to expand to Europe, wanting a team in LA that does NOT like football. Wanting more games and then preaching all this safety BS.
It's like the NFL is a store. We used to buy this one product they sold but that item has been discontinued. But we show up at the store and get all pissed off because we can't find it anymore. All we can really do is to stop going to that store. The NFL is a business that is taking a business risk. Will this new product be successful? Will they miss the die hard football fans? Will these new fantasy football type fans be enough to support the game? Only time will tell. But it's obvious they don't want our opinion about their product. And for now they don't care if they run us off. I do know that I'm tired of getting pissed off about some stupid decision or rule week in and week out. It's gotten old. I'm one of the biggest Steelers fans in the world, but we all have our breaking point. I don't know that I have reached mine yet but I can't be far from it. But what else do you do? Who knows, I sure don't.

But the problem is that this ISN'T the NFL telling us this. It's Roger Goodell and his couple of crony buddies running the league office. They've in essence, hijacked it. It's not just Steeler fans out there, but seemingly the majority across the board does not like...nor want...this 'pussified' brand of ball we're seeing now.

Boomer
12-11-2011, 10:12 PM
But the problem is that this ISN'T the NFL telling us this. It's Roger Goodell and his couple of crony buddies running the league office. They've in essence, hijacked it. It's not just Steeler fans out there, but seemingly the majority across the board does not like...nor want...this 'pussified' brand of ball we're seeing now.

The team owners hired him. They must like the direction he is taking the league or they would have fired him by now. And we know that the players don't like it. So where is their players union? Why have a union if it doesn't back you at all?

steelax04
12-12-2011, 09:10 AM
I'll be the first to admit that the league has been out to make an example of Harrison, but that hit against Mccoy is deserving of a fine at least.

I agree with this... just checked out the replays of the hit again. McCoy doesn't duck or brace for impact where it would bring his head down to where Harrison should have been aiming for (middle of the body) like on his Massaquoi hit. Harrison's head stayed high the whole time. That's where my issue is with this hit. Harrison could have put an absolutely brutal and legal hit on McCoy, but instead stayed high.

And let's be honest about the whole running backs aren't subject to the helmet to helmet impact part of the rule. This was far from your typical running play where that has any true relevance. It's strange to me how all of a sudden people are trying to turn that into a purely black and white rule.

I still feel that a suspension would be excessive, but we need to get real about this hit. It is definitely deserving of a fine.