PDA

View Full Version : Redman over Mendenhall?

desTROY43
12-11-2011, 10:46 PM
I'm new to this board, so if this has been brought up before sorry for bringing it up again. it drives me crazy watching mendenhall run, he goes full speed towards the point of attack and then stops and dances side to side looking for somewhere to run. that goal line stand against cleveland where he couldn't punch it in 4 times in a row should be the deciding factor that he's not capable of being the starter. after the second time when he bounced backwards flat on his back, tomlin should have decided to give redman the chance to punch it in. i know redman is no "bus", but he's the closest thing to him.

skinart82
12-11-2011, 11:18 PM
I do believe Redman should gotten a shot at it, at least on 4t down.

Boomer
12-11-2011, 11:20 PM
I do believe Redman should gotten a shot at it, at least on 4t down.

I second that.

casteeler
12-11-2011, 11:23 PM
Mendy would be a better runningback if the Offensive line was.... well... Better. Redman should be the starter until the o-line can be rebuilt.

SunshineMan21
12-11-2011, 11:38 PM
I'm not sure who's the better all-around back, but Redman is definitely a better short-yardage runner.

Fire Arians
12-11-2011, 11:48 PM
I'm not sure who's the better all-around back, but Redman is definitely a better short-yardage runner.

mendenhall is better overall imo, blocking and as a receiver for sure. He has that burst to break the long run that redman is lacking. redman is a better short yardage back.

Black N' Yellow
12-12-2011, 12:10 AM
Remember how during the first 4 weeks of the season, this line couldn't protect Ben? What made anyone think that Mendenhall could churn out 100 yard games week in and out on this line? Especially coming off a season where he had about 330 touches.

Mendenhall is looking for holes the line's supposed to give him, that's why he dances in the backfield. Redman may not have a job in 2 years so he's doing everything he can to stay on the current roster.

ricardisimo
12-12-2011, 12:26 AM
I'm new to this board, so if this has been brought up before sorry for bringing it up again. it drives me crazy watching mendenhall run, he goes full speed towards the point of attack and then stops and dances side to side looking for somewhere to run. that goal line stand against cleveland where he couldn't punch it in 4 times in a row should be the deciding factor that he's not capable of being the starter. after the second time when he bounced backwards flat on his back, tomlin should have decided to give redman the chance to punch it in. i know redman is no "bus", but he's the closest thing to him.
Welcome to SteelersFever. No, this would not be the first time this topic has been discussed, believe it or not. I happen to think Rashard is far and away the best RB on the roster, but even having said that, it strikes me as odd that Redman wouldn't get the call at goal line and short yardage, that in fact Mewelde would get the call more often. It's bizarre and there's only one explanation: Bruce Arians.

Our OC is a fifteen-year-old living in his parents basement playing Madden all day and night. He has a positively perverse idea of what constitutes a running game. Hopefully he will be gone next year.

That said, Rashard maybe needs to dance a bit less, although I would remind everyone of some of the great runs he has had specifically while dancing and spinning. I would also remind everyone that no one thought Redman should be the starter after averaging 1.6 yards against the Patriots, or 0.7 pre carry the next week against Baltimore. And when he was starting in Mendenhall's place earlier in the season when Rashard was injured, he was averaging the exact same whopping 3+ yards per carry as Mendy.

A lot of this is perceptions and expectations, and a belief - following years of large, hard-nosed runners like Bettis, Bam and Barry Foster - that Pittsburgh running backs look and run a certain way and only that way. It's misguided, and one need only look at some of the other great backs we've had over the years, like Franco and Pegram, to see that there are lots of other, equally effective ways of toting the rock.

DanRooney
12-12-2011, 12:57 AM
mendenhall is better overall imo, blocking and as a receiver for sure. He has that burst to break the long run that redman is lacking. redman is a better short yardage back.

Actually, I think Redman might the better blocker and the coaching staff seems to think so as well. I noticed they would put him in on a lot of passing plays which I found stupid but it was exclusively to block. Probably because they like his larger frame. He did a good job every time I noticed it.

ricardisimo
12-12-2011, 02:49 AM
Actually, I think Redman might the better blocker and the coaching staff seems to think so as well. I noticed they would put him in on a lot of passing plays which I found stupid but it was exclusively to block. Probably because they like his larger frame. He did a good job every time I noticed it.
Then you weren't watching this last game, when he completely blew his assignment on a key play. Mendenhall is also the better blocker, hands down.

DanRooney
12-12-2011, 05:50 AM
Then you weren't watching this last game, when he completely blew his assignment on a key play. Mendenhall is also the better blocker, hands down.

Yeah I remember him blowing one Thursday but to put his blocking as a whole on one play isn't right. Mendenhall really wasn't used to stay back and block much. Every time I saw him he would either go out for a swing pass or a chip block and then try to get open.

skip
12-12-2011, 08:25 AM
A lot of this is perceptions and expectations, and a belief - following years of large, hard-nosed runners like Bettis, Bam and Barry Foster - that Pittsburgh running backs look and run a certain way and only that way. It's misguided, and one need only look at some of the other great backs we've had over the years, like Franco and Pegram, to see that there are lots of other, equally effective ways of toting the rock.

I agree with that. Mendenhall is a really talented player. He thinks fast and I reckon some of the "dancing" people complain about is just him keeping his momentum going while trying to compensate for compromised routes. It's instinctive. He mostly stays on track but it's the o-line's task to lay the tracks out, which they seem to be having a tough time with recently. By the way, he doesn't always spin. Check out these highlights from last year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wfCOI2HL2k

LayingTheWoodley56
12-12-2011, 10:44 AM
I've had it with Mendy's shucking and jiving. He can be a hard, effective runner when he wants to be with that combination of power and speed but he is very inconsistent in doing so. I have liked what we've seen from Redman for the most part all year but don't forget his one start against Tennesee he didn't do too much. At the moment, I say we should split carries, say, 60-40 in Mendy's favor and see how that works out. We have a tough task coming up against the Niners run D, which has been pretty stout.

Whodis
12-12-2011, 11:04 AM
The more I watch other NFL games the more I'm convinced Mendenhall is a flash in the pan. Ray Rice runs a hell of a lot harder as does most others. Redman had a real nice game and they went right back to Mendenhall and its running game as usual.

I agree there are other ways "toting the rock" but, have you seen anything above average from Mendy? The fact is a good runner along with Ben would be awesome!

steelcity1974
12-12-2011, 11:14 AM
Mendy has a tendency to veer to the right. On the plays v the Browns, he got jacked up on first down...but if you watch the other downs the O line had good push in the middle and left. Not sure why he kept going to the right...maybe he liked getting drilled by gokong. Before we even ran the first play, I sent a txt to my brother "Run Redman 4 times up the gut if we have to." To me it was obvious...he gets more yards after contact than Mendy. As for who's the better back, I still say Mendy is. But I like when they give Redman around 10 carries...it seems to soften the D lines and motivates Mendy. Between the two, I think we have a great 1-2 punch...but convincing BA to use them that way...well, we all know logic is not his forte.

rich4eagle
12-12-2011, 12:45 PM
The is no way to measure Redman vs Mendenhall. Redman has never been given a chance to carry a full load in any game or a sequence of games. From what I have seen, he is better blocker, just as good a pass receiver, knows how to go north and south better and has better horizontal movement and for sure a spin move that works which Mendenhall does not have,

Mendenhall can get outside quicker and is probably faster and was a number one draft choice

If I were the Steeler braintrust I certainly would start giving Redman at 40% of the load and see what happens

That debacle on the goal line, may not have ended the same way if Redman was toting the ball, and it certainly was pathetic play calling. The Steelers have a propensity to run dive after dive in situations like that instead of play action pass run roll outs which are great options especially when you have mobile QB like Ben or Dixon

One last thing Mendenhall carries the ball like a loaf of bread and he is always a fumble waiting to happen

DanRooney
12-12-2011, 01:50 PM
A lot of guys are defending Mendenhall, saying he's better all around (I was one of them) but I think Redman is clearly out playing him. He's running a lot harder and usually breaks tackles at first and often second contact. Mendenhall is quicker and faster but he never seems to break one. The guy had like 4.4 speed at the Combine but he doesn't seem to have any home run threat whatsoever.

Steelersfan87
12-12-2011, 02:23 PM
That debacle on the goal line, may not have ended the same way if Redman was toting the ball, and it certainly was pathetic play calling. The Steelers have a propensity to run dive after dive in situations like that instead of play action pass run roll outs which are great options especially when you have mobile QB like Ben or Dixon

One last thing Mendenhall carries the ball like a loaf of bread and he is always a fumble waiting to happen

The third down play call was a pass. Ben checked out of it because he didn't think he could do it with his ankle. The blocking was also really bad. Goal line runs have more to do with execution than playcalling, and the execution was poor. The Browns also simply defended it extremely well. They do get paid, too.

Mendenhall doesn't fumble nearly as much as his reputation suggests. It's unfair.

ricardisimo
12-12-2011, 03:03 PM
The is no way to measure Redman vs Mendenhall. Redman has never been given a chance to carry a full load in any game or a sequence of games. From what I have seen, he is better blocker, just as good a pass receiver, knows how to go north and south better and has better horizontal movement and for sure a spin move that works which Mendenhall does not have,

Mendenhall can get outside quicker and is probably faster and was a number one draft choice

If I were the Steeler braintrust I certainly would start giving Redman at 40% of the load and see what happens

So much of the above is not true. He has been the starter already, and he averaged the same 3+ yards/carry as Rashard. As for his blocking and receiving, there's either no reason for you to believe that, or we can take the coaches' word for it that Rashard is better. He certainly seems it to me. Redman is definitely a better North-South runner, but his horizontal movement is better? Even you seem to negate this just a line or two later.

At some point you've got to realize that you've got a hard-on for Redman, and that you're seeing things that are either not there, or that we have yet to see. But let's stick to reality. I realize Mendenhall's been a disappointment for many this year, but that story's bigger than just him, and it starts higher up.

As for his fumbling, you're not even in the same dimension as the rest of us. See below.
The third down play call was a pass. Ben checked out of it because he didn't think he could do it with his ankle. The blocking was also really bad. Goal line runs have more to do with execution than playcalling, and the execution was poor. The Browns also simply defended it extremely well. They do get paid, too.

Mendenhall doesn't fumble nearly as much as his reputation suggests. It's unfair.
Exactly. 772 carries, plus 63 receptions, plus 7 kick returns, and in all of that he's fumbled six times. That's a .7% fumble rate, and even if we don't count his rookie season (because of the Ray Lewis hit) that's two fumbles per year! That's lower than Bettis, Marshall Faulk and Curtis Martin!

Steeldude
12-12-2011, 04:08 PM
IMO. mendenhall is what i said he would be after being drafted. he is an average(to slightly above) RB from a spread option scheme. he was afraid to get hit his first year in the NFL, but thankfully that has worn off.

that being said, the O-line isn't holding up their end of the deal either.

rich4eagle
12-12-2011, 04:14 PM

I believe this all happened way before Ben hurt his ankle

you musta been in the booth to have such info:tt04:

as far as fumbles carry the ball like Mendenhall does and you will fumble, and maybe in the big one at game time like the last Super Bowl

Fire Arians
12-12-2011, 04:22 PM

as far as fumbles carry the ball like Mendenhall does and you will fumble, and maybe in the big one at game time like the last Super Bowl

if you get hit right before you can even get a handle on the ball, chances are it will be a fumble too. that super bowl fumble had more to do with david johnson blowing his blocking assignment more than anything else.

Steelersfan87
12-12-2011, 04:47 PM

Huh? They're talking about the 4 goal line runs. That was well after Ben was injured.

I do think that Redman is at least as good as Mendenhall in pass protection.

ricardisimo
12-12-2011, 04:47 PM

That was in the 4th. :noidea:

rich4eagle
12-12-2011, 05:07 PM
my bad I guess, I musta delusioned those four bad calls on the goal line to an earlier time

anyway, I think it is time to give Redman a chance to show a game full of duty

ricardisimo
12-12-2011, 05:17 PM
my bad I guess, I musta delusioned those four bad calls on the goal line to an earlier time

anyway, I think it is time to give Redman a chance to show a game full of duty
Redman should get more goal line and short yardage. Absolutely.

bubbletownwr88
12-12-2011, 05:37 PM
I believe if redman ran the ball 25 times a game he'd get just about the same yards as mendy even though have redman in short bursts is really nice.

tanda10506
12-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Mendy would be pretty good behind NE/Indy's line, or one of similar quality. Although our line has been pretty good pass blocking, the run blocking is average to poor. Most RB's need quite a few carries to get in a rythm and Mendy isn't getting those carries. With our o line run blocking so poorly, it's a lose/lose situation. Redman is a better short yardage back, blocks better, and seems to play with more heart. His big play potential isn't as good as Mendys but behind our line with our style of play, I think Redman would be more effecient.

bornaSteelersfan
12-13-2011, 01:10 AM
I don't care which one is our "featured back", let's just get a real damn FB!

Whodis
12-13-2011, 07:23 AM
I don't care which one is our "featured back", let's just get a real damn FB!

Whats a Fullback?

Pentheon
12-13-2011, 08:09 AM
Like everyone else I was really shocked redman didn't get atleast 1 shot. Honestly I feel a lot of times he runs harder and easily fights for me yards than mendy does. If you look at it again the play mendenhall got smacked at the goal line he doesn't even lower his shoulder, of course your gonna get hit the way you did when you run srtaight up to the goal line.

redman gets us key first downs at times. Not taking away from mendenhall though I still love em

:tt04: