PDA

View Full Version : An Argument for Sitting Ben

ETL
12-12-2011, 12:59 AM
Tony Dungy said tonight that for the Steelers to do well in the playoffs - we need a MOBILE Ben Roethlisberger. (i know, its a no-duh type of statement)

The Steelers have some power in this matter. They can sit Ben for 3 weeks and let him heal as best as possible. This gives us a chance to have the most mobile QB possible in the playoffs. Or he can try to play right away and reap the possible benefits of winning the next 3 games.

So lets compare the two options and the probabilities involved. To do that, we need to look at what some other teams may do.

Houston has 3 games left - home vs Carolina, away at Indy and home vs Ten. They have a good chance to run the table. If Houston does this - they are the #1 seed.

NE has three games left. Away at Denver, Home vs Miami and then Home vs Buff. They also have a good chance to run the table and if they do - they will be the #2 seed (even if Pit runs the table and Bal loses)

This means that there is a good chance that the Steelers will NOT get a bye even if Baltimore loses and the Steelers win the Division. Despite having beaten NE, we lose the tiebreaker to them in a 3-way tie.

Oakland is at KC, home vs Det then home vs SD. I see them losing one of those games. Denver is home vs NE, at Buf and home vs KC. I see them losing against NE and winning the next two. SD is home vs Bal, at Det, at Oakland. I see them losing at least one game. So I see Denver as the division winner in the west.

As for the wild card - if Pit wins the division, it will be Baltimore and the Jets. If Bal wins the division, it will be Pit and the Jets.

If Ben plays - thinking optimistically - we run the table, and win the division. We get a HOME game against the Jets. BUT Ben is still hobbled as he had not had time to heal. And the following week - we play against NE - with a hobbled Ben.

If Ben sits - thinking pessamistically - we lose against SF but win at least one game against StL or Cleveland and we become the top wild card team. We start the playoffs playing in Denver against Tebow and if we win, we play away in Houston and TJ Yates. All of this with a healthy and mobile Ben.

Based on current probabilities - I would SIT BEN for the next 3 weeks.

I think we will make the playoffs anyways and our match ups will be better if we are the wild card team. Plus we will have a healthy mobile Ben.

We do have the luxury of having a monday night game this week and we can see the outcomes of the other games to see if we should play Ben or not - especially if either Hou or NE is upset.

MACH1
12-12-2011, 01:15 AM
Then theres the possibility of going 0-3 if he sits and watching the playoffs from the couch.

ETL
12-12-2011, 01:20 AM
Then theres the possibility of going 0-3 if he sits and watching the playoffs from the couch.

If you truly truly believe that without Ben, we have a good chance of going 0-3, then by all means you should play Ben - hobbled or not.

I think we can beat StL at home with one of our backups. Just one win will get us in the playoffs as the top wildcard - with a healthier QB

tony hipchest
12-12-2011, 01:23 AM
Then theres the possibility of going 0-3 if he sits and watching the playoffs from the couch.hater.

arians needs to pad batch's stats. :chuckle:

Fire Arians
12-12-2011, 01:23 AM

losing to the browns or rams even without ben?

come on man.

honestly i was thinking of the same thing. 1 more win almost guarantees that we lock the #5 seed. Going 13-3 might still mean we're the #5 seed. Also, I like our chances better as a healthy #5 seeded team rather than a #1 or #2 that is hobbled and possibly with ben gone for the season. Batch will beat the likes of cleveland or st. louis, but will not lead us to a super bowl, even with homefield.

most likely NE and texans run the table, they have a cake schedule the rest of the way.

ETL
12-12-2011, 01:25 AM
Just a quick addendum: All of the above probable scenarios are in place because Cincy lost at home to Houston. I thought Cincy had the best chance to beat the Texans. Once Houston beat Cincy - the probabilities became more clear and again, in my view - being a wild card and playing against Tebow and TJ Yates with a healthy QB may be a better option for a super bowl run.

Fire Arians
12-12-2011, 01:27 AM
Tebow's gonna need to score 20+ against our defense and I don't see that happening. I've been rooting for the broncos and hoping the raiders lose out. For some reason (yeah prolly the trip all the way to the WC) I hate the idea of going to oakland for the playoffs, but think we could destroy the broncos on their homefield

MACH1
12-12-2011, 01:30 AM
If you truly truly believe that without Ben, we have a good chance of going 0-3, then by all means you should play Ben - hobbled or not.

I think we can beat StL at home with one of our backups. Just one win will get us in the playoffs as the top wildcard - with a healthier QB

Was just throwing out a possibility.

I've had a high ankle sprain before and they suck ass. I was kinda wishing it was broken instead it wouldn't hurt as bad.lol
I'd be a little surprised if he's able to go this week and maybe next. Ben's looked fairly severe but wait and see what happens.

MACH1
12-12-2011, 01:31 AM
hater.

arians needs to pad batch's stats. :chuckle:

Homer :chuckle:

Padding your post count. :sofunny:

ETL
12-12-2011, 01:31 AM
Tebow's gonna need to score 20+ against our defense and I don't see that happening. I've been rooting for the broncos and hoping the raiders lose out. For some reason (yeah prolly the trip all the way to the WC) I hate the idea of going to oakland for the playoffs, but think we could destroy the broncos on their homefield

I agree. I think if anyone is going to "figure out" Tebow - it will be LeBeau. I also think our offense is more potent than what Denver has recently played.

It will be interesting to see how New England does against Denver. We have as potent of an offense and a much better defense than NE.

Steelersfan87
12-12-2011, 01:33 AM
The Steelers need to play to win every week until the division is out of sight. I don't think the Steelers believe they can get to Indy on the road. I'm not too confident in that either. I don't feel too good about Batch being able to beat the 49ers either.

Fire Arians
12-12-2011, 01:35 AM
I agree. I think if anyone is going to "figure out" Tebow - it will be LeBeau. I also think our offense is more potent than what Denver has recently played.

It will be interesting to see how New England does against Denver. We have as potent of an offense and a much better defense than NE.

NE will most likely steamroll denver. yes the pats have the worst defense in the league but I highly doubt the broncos will be able to contain brady for long and it will become a shootout. Brady will win vs Tebow every time if it comes to that.

ETL
12-12-2011, 01:37 AM
The Steelers need to play to win every week until the division is out of sight. I don't think the Steelers believe they can get to Indy on the road. I'm not too confident in that either. I don't feel too good about Batch being able to beat the 49ers either.

You would be 100% correct if you controlled your own destiny but we don't. We need the Texans, Pats and Ravens to lose to avoid going "on the road."

I would ask you - which of these would you rather have: Going on the road with a healthy Ben or possibly being at home with a hobbled Ben?

Fire Arians
12-12-2011, 01:39 AM

this team can win on the road man. they beat cincy on their own turf and the chiefs game was a typical rusty game from a team coming off a bye week. In addition to that, if mike wallace makes 2 catches that he usually makes, the game's a blowout and nobody will be talking about how 'bad' of a road team we are.

Fire Arians
12-12-2011, 01:41 AM
I would ask you - which of these would you rather have: Going on the road with a healthy Ben or possibly being at home with a hobbled Ben?

or ben on IR. if that's the case i'm ready to cash in the season even if we're the #1 seed

ETL
12-12-2011, 01:57 AM
or ben on IR. if that's the case i'm ready to cash in the season even if we're the #1 seed

I agree. If we can get in the playoffs without Ben playing the next 3 games - then we should sit Ben and not risk him having a season ending injury.

We have a much better chance for a long run with a healthy Ben.

In addition, even if we win our final 3 games, we still have a good chance of having to play at least 2 games and possibly 3 on the road.

Cincy losing today gave us a lot of clarity. Cincy is no longer a threat to jump aheady of us for playoffs and the Texans have an easy road to the #1 seed - which means our chances of getting the # 1 seed is less.

Danny136200
12-12-2011, 02:24 AM
Tony Dungy said tonight that for the Steelers to do well in the playoffs - we need a MOBILE Ben Roethlisberger. (i know, its a no-duh type of statement)

The Steelers have some power in this matter. They can sit Ben for 3 weeks and let him heal as best as possible. This gives us a chance to have the most mobile QB possible in the playoffs. Or he can try to play right away and reap the possible benefits of winning the next 3 games.

So lets compare the two options and the probabilities involved. To do that, we need to look at what some other teams may do.

Houston has 3 games left - home vs Carolina, away at Indy and home vs Ten. They have a good chance to run the table. If Houston does this - they are the #1 seed.

NE has three games left. Away at Denver, Home vs Miami and then Home vs Buff. They also have a good chance to run the table and if they do - they will be the #2 seed (even if Pit runs the table and Bal loses)

This means that there is a good chance that the Steelers will NOT get a bye even if Baltimore loses and the Steelers win the Division. Despite having beaten NE, we lose the tiebreaker to them in a 3-way tie.

Oakland is at KC, home vs Det then home vs SD. I see them losing one of those games. Denver is home vs NE, at Buf and home vs KC. I see them losing against NE and winning the next two. SD is home vs Bal, at Det, at Oakland. I see them losing at least one game. So I see Denver as the division winner in the west.

As for the wild card - if Pit wins the division, it will be Baltimore and the Jets. If Bal wins the division, it will be Pit and the Jets.

If Ben plays - thinking optimistically - we run the table, and win the division. We get a HOME game against the Jets. BUT Ben is still hobbled as he had not had time to heal. And the following week - we play against NE - with a hobbled Ben.

If Ben sits - thinking pessamistically - we lose against SF but win at least one game against StL or Cleveland and we become the top wild card team. We start the playoffs playing in Denver against Tebow and if we win, we play away in Houston and TJ Yates. All of this with a healthy and mobile Ben.

Based on current probabilities - I would SIT BEN for the next 3 weeks.

I think we will make the playoffs anyways and our match ups will be better if we are the wild card team. Plus we will have a healthy mobile Ben.

We do have the luxury of having a monday night game this week and we can see the outcomes of the other games to see if we should play Ben or not - especially if either Hou or NE is upset.

Dude...... I never thought of this lol. but Ben wont sit, with the division to play for (even if the steelers destiny is not in their hands, it is still possible) Ben will not sit, he will play and recover from the ankle.

sharkweek
12-12-2011, 02:30 AM

I think you're still thinking optimistically here. While it would be likely our first game would be against Denver as a the 5th seed vs. a 4th seed, moving on to Houston would imply they're the #1 seed and that the #3 seed wins against the #6 seed

I think the big problem is inferring how all the teams finish, and that you're just lining up the ideal path to the AFCCG.

It is nice to infer that sitting Ben would get him nice and healthy for the playoffs, but what about rust? No way I want him rusty either.

losing to the browns or rams even without ben?

come on man.

Did you not see this last game? A game at home against the Browns? Browns had a chance to beat us late in the 4th quarter, we looked so inept without Ben that we risked playing him injured just to win this most recent game

Rams beat the Saints with Drew Brees

c'mon people, this is the NFL, no games are a given

Penn
12-12-2011, 02:53 AM
Based on the NFL Playoff Machine on both ESPN and Yahoo, Baltimore would be the 1 seed, NE would be the 2 seed, and Houston would be the 3 seed based on your scenario.

Im of the opinion that you play to win every game. Telegraphing your future opponents... is well... i dont know

ricardisimo
12-12-2011, 03:05 AM
Firstly, I'm not sure how anyone could have watched Charlie during his few snaps without considering the distinct possibility that we might not win another game. Secondly, no one has pointed out the obvious: that Ben could play and get healthy, just as he has done every other time he's played hurt. Thirdly, Ben hurt is pretty much a guaranteed victory, from what I can tell. Bring on SF!

Rick5895
12-12-2011, 05:14 AM
If the Ratbirds lose on Sunday to S.D. Then I would play Ben against S.F Monday night (if he's remotely healthy enough to play). With a win, we have Rams and Browns left. Games we should win with either Batch or Dixon a QB.
If I'm not mistaken if we tie with the Cheats at 13-3 we have the tie breaker , therefore the #2 seed since we beat them. Charlie looked poor against the Browns simply because he didn't get the practice reps. Either Batch or Dixon ( I would play Dixon because of his mobility and let him roll out and play to his strengths) with a full week of practice would be able to beat our last 2 opponents. That would give Ben 3 weeks to rest and prepare for the divisional round.
Going on the road to Denver worries me. That defense out there is playing lights out right now and we likely wouldn't have Clark in the secondary. I beleive we beat them but still worries me unless we are able to put up a 17-21 point lead in the first half.

Steel_Bus_24
12-12-2011, 05:57 AM
If the Ratbirds lose on Sunday to S.D. Then I would play Ben against S.F Monday night (if he's remotely healthy enough to play). With a win, we have Rams and Browns left. Games we should win with either Batch or Dixon a QB.
If I'm not mistaken if we tie with the Cheats at 13-3 we have the tie breaker , therefore the #2 seed since we beat them. Charlie looked poor against the Browns simply because he didn't get the practice reps. Either Batch or Dixon ( I would play Dixon because of his mobility and let him roll out and play to his strengths) with a full week of practice would be able to beat our last 2 opponents. That would give Ben 3 weeks to rest and prepare for the divisional round.
Going on the road to Denver worries me. That defense out there is playing lights out right now and we likely wouldn't have Clark in the secondary. I beleive we beat them but still worries me unless we are able to put up a 17-21 point lead in the first half.

QFT, that would be a dogfight that might take too much out of us...

Ben needs to play in that Browns game somewhat if we're going to play a WC.....won't be good for him to be headed into an extremely hostile environment after being out nearly a month

Big7BenHOF
12-12-2011, 07:41 AM

John Skelton beat the 49ers. :noidea:

skip
12-12-2011, 07:47 AM
There's a kind of rash assumption here, and that is that Ben will have sufficiently healed after sitting out the SF game (or even the rest of the season), so that he'll be ready for the playoffs.

Ankle sprains never really heal properly. I know from experience. Even after years the foot can still give in unexpectedly. However, they heal enough within days to walk confidently and even run and jump, etc, although the ankle is still quite vulnerable at this point.

The biggest risk playing Ben in the next couple of weeks is that his foot will buckle under and he may lose what recovery he had since last Thursday. That puts him back at square one. Otherwise, he should still be able to play (at less than full potential) in any of the forthcoming games. And he should be able to play with more mobility than he had in the second half against Cleveland. Sitting him the rest of the season doesn't mean he'll be 100% for the playoffs. I mean even if his ankle feels all healed up, one wrong step and it can easily give in again.

In other words, I don't think this is a tactical call as such. It will come down to a personal choice. If Ben feels up to it, I'm sure he'll decide to hit the field. I don't think he or the coaches will be balancing "what ifs". Even if he's not as mobile as usual, he'll adapt his game. After all that is what Roethlisberger does better than any other QB in the NFL.

PhantomJB93
12-12-2011, 08:08 AM

If we lost to the 49ers and Rams, I'm fairly certain we'd play Ben against the Browns if only to try and ensure a playoff spot. I doubt we'd sit there and keep him on the bench if we were in that dire of a situation.

finesward
12-12-2011, 08:10 AM
Why are so many of you getting high ankle sprains on steelersfever? We have the highest number of posters who have had, currently has, or knows someone who has had ankle sprains on the internet.

sharkweek
12-12-2011, 08:24 AM

head to head tie breakers go out the door when there's a 3 way tie unless one team swept the other 2, and since we lost to Houston, the tie break procedure moves on to conference record, and since all 3 of our losses are within the AFC, we're kind of SOL in that regard as well

In order to win the division and get a bye we need to finish 1 game up on the Ravens and the Texans for the #1 seed, or the Ravens and the Pats for the #2 seed.

to get into the playoffs we just need to beat the Browns.

ETL
12-12-2011, 08:43 AM
Dude...... I never thought of this lol. but Ben wont sit, with the division to play for (even if the steelers destiny is not in their hands, it is still possible) Ben will not sit, he will play and recover from the ankle.

If he could play AND recover - they you are correct, my argument is moot - because why would we sit a guy that can play and recover just the same.

I think however, that most people believe he will recover better if he sits.

ETL
12-12-2011, 08:48 AM
I

I think the big problem is inferring how all the teams finish, and that you're just lining up the ideal path to the AFCCG.

It is nice to infer that sitting Ben would get him nice and healthy for the playoffs, but what about rust? No way I want him rusty either.

Did you not see this last game? A game at home against the Browns? Browns had a chance to beat us late in the 4th quarter, we looked so inept without Ben that we risked playing him injured just to win this most recent game

Rams beat the Saints with Drew Brees

c'mon people, this is the NFL, no games are a given

Yes you are correct that i am "inferring" but what else can I do. I am just taking a guess at what is most probable.

Rust? There's a reason teams want a bye week and rust is not one of their fears. I would change a vowel on your word and have you think of REST and not worry about RUST.

"No NFL games are a given" - agreed but I think we have a good chance not a given change but a strong good chance to beat STL at home with our defense and Batch.

steelfury02
12-12-2011, 08:50 AM
you are def correct on 3 way tie - the head to head goes out the door because we beat Pats and lost to Houston - both who would have 1 less conference loss to our 3

And let's be even more honest - a lot of us, including myself, have had one eye on the Steelers games, 1 eye on the Ravens games, 1 ear on the Pats games, and 1 ear on the Houston games. We don't control our own destiny but we can control how healthy we are for a playoff run. We made our bed as Tomlin stated now we just have to make the best of it.

At this point, while the Chargers have won two in a row - I'm not convinced that Rivers' terrible O-line will hold up to the Ravens blitz packages. They have 2 to 3 great pass rushers PLUS Ngata - I'm pretty sure they are capable of beating the Chargers in San Diego so let's not hold our breathe hoping for the perfect outcome.

If it were up to me, Ben and Brucey boy would have to show me they are capable of running a variety of plays that combine good protection for Ben without having to hand the ball off 80% of the time. We are not going to run it down SF's throat so we at least have to have passing plays designed to move the chains and get creative in the red zone. No duh, right? So basically I'm on the fence about San Fran.

I think the home game against St. Louis should be a tune up game - especially if we beat San Fran. If so, Ben should sit - no matter how he is feeling IMHO.

I'm also a believer that going into the playoffs rusty is not a good idea so I'd try to get Ben ready for the last game @ Cleveland.

Bottom line - we are in a pickle and while I want Ben healthy as possible for playoffs, we can't go stumbling in and rusty. We'll find out even more about this team's mettle in San Fran. Phew - did not want the last quarter of the season to feel like this but they are capable of rising to the occasion

vinny600
12-12-2011, 08:53 AM
If I'm not mistaken we've already clinched a playoff spot with the win on Thursday night. Going 10-6 at worst would still get us to the playoffs, as far as I can tell. I cannot find a scenario using espn playoff machine that we miss even if we lose out. I'm not arguing to sit Ben, just saying I think we're aleady in. I have no opinion right now regarding Ben but I lean towards playing him if there is any way he can play.

ETL
12-12-2011, 08:53 AM
Based on the NFL Playoff Machine on both ESPN and Yahoo, Baltimore would be the 1 seed, NE would be the 2 seed, and Houston would be the 3 seed based on your scenario.

Im of the opinion that you play to win every game. Telegraphing your future opponents... is well... i dont know

Currently they list the Texans as the #1 seed but you are correct if Bal, Hou and NE and Pit all win out - Bal would be the #1 seed.

I would still argue that it would be better to have a healthier Ben in the playoffs than a hobbled Ben - no matter who we face - Den, Hou or Bal.

skip
12-12-2011, 08:54 AM
Why are so many of you getting high ankle sprains on steelersfever? We have the highest number of posters who have had, currently has, or knows someone who has had ankle sprains on the internet.

Skateboarding injury, man. But it's a common injury, especially among basketball players.

steelfury02
12-12-2011, 09:08 AM
the ideal situation would be to win without Ben @ SF. I think we are capable of doing it with enough practice time. San Fran lost to a Kolb-less Cardinals so I think with our defense and some inventiveness on offense we are capable. Just kinda wish they wouldn't be coming off a tough loss to someone they should have beat.

Personally, I think San Fran is a one and done team.

LayingTheWoodley56
12-12-2011, 10:40 AM
I think that if Ben can play effectively without further aggravating the injury, he has to. If it were a week later or two weeks and we were playing St. Louis or the Brownies I might say differently but this is a big game coming up against a team with a good run defense, so we're going to need our passing game in a big way. I've always liked Batch as a backup, but I think he may be finished being able to fill in effectively.

Anything, as we know, can happen from game-to-game in the NFL. I wouldn't say with any certainty that the Texans and Pats, or the Ravens, will all win out. I say we go for the first-round bye and possible home-field until someone says we can't get it anymore.

steelcity1974
12-12-2011, 11:53 AM
It's pretty simple actually. If he's healthy, he will play. If not, he will sit. Not sure why anyone would want him to sit if he is able to play. The SF game is the last one that will have a playoff atmosphere before the actual playoffs. Since we will likely be the 5 seed, going on the road to play a 10-3 team that is fighting for a first round bye is a great test for us. I hope we are at full strength (or close to it) for this game.

ricardisimo
12-12-2011, 12:06 PM
It's pretty simple actually. If he's healthy, he will play. If not, he will sit. Not sure why anyone would want him to sit if he is able to play. The SF game is the last one that will have a playoff atmosphere before the actual playoffs. Since we will likely be the 5 seed, going on the road to play a 10-3 team that is fighting for a first round bye is a great test for us. I hope we are at full strength (or close to it) for this game.
I don't remember the last time Ben was healthy.

Whodis
12-12-2011, 12:07 PM
An argument for starting Ben would be to watch any highlight from Charlie Batch this year

DanRooney
12-12-2011, 12:11 PM
SF is not a good come from behind team but our defense isn't exactly a good keep the lead team. Especially in the 4th quarter...and this game is going to be very close methinks.

casteeler
12-12-2011, 12:15 PM
the ideal situation would be to win without Ben @ SF. I think we are capable of doing it with enough practice time. San Fran lost to a Kolb-less Cardinals so I think with our defense and some inventiveness on offense we are capable. Just kinda wish they wouldn't be coming off a tough loss to someone they should have beat.

Personally, I think San Fran is a one and done team.

Arizona has a very good defense and the the reason the Cards beat SF is the their Running game is good as well. Just remember The Steeler running game w/ our O-line and Mendy is Sub-par at best, the Steelers have to beat SF (and alot of other teams) with Passing and without Ben were not beating many teams. If the Chargers beat the Ravens you Cannot sit Ben because it's the Steelers chance to jump Baltimore and win the division.

wera176
12-12-2011, 12:19 PM
If I'm not mistaken we've already clinched a playoff spot with the win on Thursday night. Going 10-6 at worst would still get us to the playoffs, as far as I can tell. I cannot find a scenario using espn playoff machine that we miss even if we lose out. I'm not arguing to sit Ben, just saying I think we're aleady in. I have no opinion right now regarding Ben but I lean towards playing him if there is any way he can play.

No, we have not clinched a playoff spot. Only the Texans have in the AFC. Likely we get in, but anything can happen...

I also think that it's not completely fair to judge Batch only on the one series that he was in Thursday. Talk about being rusty... I always joke that when we put a new QB they should run a QB keeper the first play: get that first hit out of the way knock that rust and apprehension right out of them! :chuckle:

But I agree we have to have Ben to get past the first round in the playoffs...

Good arguments from both sides, but I think we have to play to beat SF, even if that's with Ben. If we pull that off, or get a lot of help elsewhere then maybe I see only playing him only for a half or quarter in the next two games. Until we sew-up everything that we can, Ben should be under center, imo. Only once winning doesn't improve our PO picture, then just use him in the first half or quarter...

FanSince72
12-12-2011, 12:30 PM
Why not look at it the other way around?

Start Batch and keep Ben as the #2.

If Batch has things under control, then let him finish.
If not, then pull him and put Ben in.

Whodis
12-12-2011, 01:02 PM
How is Batch starting over Dixon? Couldn't he call in plays with a sweatshirt on?

LayingTheWoodley56
12-12-2011, 01:04 PM
Why not look at it the other way around?

Start Batch and keep Ben as the #2.

If Batch has things under control, then let him finish.
If not, then pull him and put Ben in.

Not a bad idea in theory, but really it would work a lot better if this were against the Rams or the Browns. I know the Niners are average on offense but their defense has been pretty stellar so it won't be a picnic getting points off them even with Ben in there. With the playoff picture still wide-open, we need this game, though we do have to wait and see what happens on Sunday to gauge exactly where we are. There's definitely a chance the Bolts could beat Baltimore, especially in SD, I know their not having a great year but they still have Rivers, Gates and Jackson.

I wasn't comfortable with how Chazz Batch looked against Cleveland, and don't get me wrong, he's been a great backup for us for a long time and he deserves a ton of credit for winning two games for us last year while Ben was out, but I think his physical tools may have largely deserted him. In a game that has pretty serious ramifications, we can't afford to fall behind 10 or 14-0 and then call on a potentially gimpy Ben to dig us out of it. Let him heal, and if he can play he has to, and then we can focus on resting him when we play inferior opposition two straight games to finish the season.

FanSince72
12-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Not a bad idea in theory, but really it would work a lot better if this were against the Rams or the Browns. I know the Niners are average on offense but their defense has been pretty stellar so it won't be a picnic getting points off them even with Ben in there. With the playoff picture still wide-open, we need this game, though we do have to wait and see what happens on Sunday to gauge exactly where we are. There's definitely a chance the Bolts could beat Baltimore, especially in SD, I know their not having a great year but they still have Rivers, Gates and Jackson.

I wasn't comfortable with how Chazz Batch looked against Cleveland, and don't get me wrong, he's been a great backup for us for a long time and he deserves a ton of credit for winning two games for us last year while Ben was out, but I think his physical tools may have largely deserted him. In a game that has pretty serious ramifications, we can't afford to fall behind 10 or 14-0 and then call on a potentially gimpy Ben to dig us out of it. Let him heal, and if he can play he has to, and then we can focus on resting him when we play inferior opposition two straight games to finish the season.

I wouldn't judge Batch on the Cleveland game.

I think everyone was pretty sure that that game would be relatively simple and Ben wouldn't have to do too much, so Batch probably wasn't planning on playing. But when Ben went down, Batch suddenly had to drop his coffee and suit up and I don't think there are too many guys who could just come in cold like that and light the place up. Maybe if he was some twentysomething eager for his chance that would be different, but he's not that guy.

But if Chaz is given a week to get ready and he gets the reps, I think he'd be fine. Look at last season. He starts the first four games and won three of them and came damned close to winning them all. I don't think that he's changed all that much in 13 months, so I feel comfortable with him.

The only argument I could make for Dixon over Batch would be that there is a "book" on Batch and very little on Dixon. So from a film point of view, Dixon is more of an unknown to other teams and that might give him an edge in that regard. But from a "been-there-done-that" perspective, I'd rather have Charlie.

Steelersfan87
12-12-2011, 02:19 PM
He didn't start the first 4 games...he only started against Tampa Bay and Baltimore. The only "good" game that he had last year was against the Bucs, and that was with Wallace making him look good twice on 40+ yard touchdowns. He struggled against the Ravens, throwing multiple interceptions, and failing to get a game-clinching first down late in the fourth quarter. He didn't do much in the time he played against the Titans because he was the only QB healthy and the coaches didn't want to risk anything (which also certainly played a role in the conservative playcalling while Batch was in on Thursday). Is Dixon better? No, he's worse.

According to player comments today, the team seems to feel that he will play (Pouncey as well). He's still in a walking boot with a crutch, but they think he'll play.