PDA

View Full Version : (Mark) Madden: Harrison deserves suspension

mesaSteeler
12-12-2011, 06:08 AM
Madden: Harrison deserves suspension
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/steelers/madden-harrison-deserves-suspension/article_7113598d-adef-5ab5-acd6-025de34ec22d.html?mode=print
Mark Madden Times Sports Correspondent | Posted: Sunday, December 11, 2011 11:00 pm

(Madden's ratings must be down again. - mesa)

James Harrison's helmet-to-facemask hit on Cleveland quarterback Colt McCoy Thursday was sinister, malicious and designed to injure. Any other notion is just plain idiotic.

Steelers linebacker Harrison has mostly been a changed man since his $125K shakedown at the hands of NFL commissioner Roger Goodell last season. But the blow to McCoy's cranium spotlighted the old Harrison (the real Harrison?) at his nastiest.

Harrison lowered his helmet and drilled McCoy in the head. It was deliberate and explosive.

Not only was McCoy concussed, Harrison's illegal action affected the game's outcome. His brains scrambled, McCoy served up a red-zone interception to the Steelers' Willie Gay. The Browns had a chance to take a 10-7 lead with time ticking down. Instead, they lost 14-3.

Yinzer Nation apologists are out in full force, citing scripture and verse regarding gray areas in the NFL rulebook that might put Harrison in the clear.

The most popular notion is that McCoy was fair game, losing protection afforded quarterbacks because he was attempting to advance the ball as a runner.

That's nonsense. McCoy was still acting as a quarterback, evidenced by the fact that he threw the ball and drew a roughing the passer penalty. Furthermore, the rulebook safeguards every player, regardless of position, from helmet-to-helmet hits.

Harrison is a repeat offender. Gray areas shouldn't protect him. Zero benefit of the doubt.

Harrison should be suspended. Media sources say the NFL is considering a one- or two-game ban.

Harrison delivered a fistful of questionable hits last season. Perhaps the deterring effect of fines has worn off. Maybe Harrison was frustrated by having to sweat a difficult result against an easy opponent. At any rate, HE DID IT AGAIN. The next logical step is suspension.

A suspension would anger Harrison. But it wouldn't change Harrison. Harrison doesn't want to change. Harrison had played 16 games since his last dodgy tackle. That's not that long.

Harrison's demeanor after the McCoy hit showed no remorse. He just made excuses. I bet Harrison relished blowing up McCoy. Harrison loved delivering that shot.

Fining Harrison large amounts last season didn't make him think twice Thursday. Suspending him might actually be waving a red cape in front of the bull.

No matter. The NFL needs to act. Harrison should be banned for for at least one game.

But it probably won't happen that way. Harrison will absorb another big fine (six figures this time?), perhaps saved from suspension by the Steelers' Monday Night Football date with San Francisco. Goodell won't want to affect competitive balance in a marquee game via suspension, nor will he want Harrison to become that contest's focal point in absentia.

Maybe Harrison will get suspended next time. And there will be a next time. Harrison had me believing he had changed. But his credibility vanished Thursday.

After Harrison gets whatever punishment the NFL levies, everyone will again be subject to Harrison's (and the Steelers') thoughts about the "man's game" football should be, and used to be. I'm not interested. Football is what the NFL decrees it to be. Play it their way, or go bounce in a strip joint.

Football gave Harrison everything he has. Harrison works hard for it. But he's still an employee. There are rules. I don't want to hear Harrison's idealist rantings or his explanations.

But the Browns certainly have some explaining to do. Cleveland management claims McCoy was medically cleared to return, but I'm guessing an examination conducted during two plays wasn't very thorough. McCoy's dad had it right: The signs of a concussion were obvious, even from a distance. Heed common sense. Seneca Wallace might have won that game.

That said, if I'm McCoy, a 25-year-old professional, I'm not crazy about my father acting as my media spokesman. "Aw, dad...not in front of the guys!"

Mark Madden hosts a radio show 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WXDX-FM (105.9).

Boomer
12-12-2011, 07:11 AM
His whole arguement falls apart right here:
"Furthermore, the rulebook safeguards every player, regardless of position, from helmet-to-helmet hits."

Ask Mendenhall if he felt protected in his helmet to helmet hit in the goal line play...Mark Madden is the idiot.

SteeleReign
12-12-2011, 07:20 AM
His whole arguement falls apart right here:
"Furthermore, the rulebook safeguards every player, regardless of position, from helmet-to-helmet hits."

Ask Mendenhall if he felt protected in his helmet to helmet hit in the goal line play...Mark Madden is the idiot.

Or better yet, ask James how he got the fractured orbital bone. Madden is just plain wrong.

steelfury02
12-12-2011, 07:26 AM
lol he must not have gotten his twinkie intake - he's just a little cranky

sharkweek
12-12-2011, 07:27 AM
Furthermore, the rulebook safeguards every player, regardless of position, from helmet-to-helmet hits.

lol what? So we should be expecting a fine for the hit that nearly took off Mendenhall's helmet in this very same game? A hit the announcers praised even though it was helmet to helmet and specifically pointed out by the announcers as being helmet to helmet but legal because he was a runner? And even practically praising said hit?

this dude sounds like an idiot with an agenda to me

steelfury02
12-12-2011, 08:09 AM
THAT is an understatement. This guy is the Limbaugh of sports.

FanSince72
12-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Madden wrote: "Harrison lowered his helmet and drilled McCoy in the head. It was deliberate and explosive."

I'll agree with the deliberate and explosive part, which is the way James plays but I would rewrite the first part to read: "He lowered his shoulder -- which happens to be attached to his head -- and drilled McCoy..."

Look, I'm a fan and maybe I see what I want to see but I've watched that hit many times and I STILL see Harrison lowering his shoulder and tucking his head and hitting McCoy high on the numbers and he clipped McCoy's facemask because McCoy lowered HIS head as well.

Did James "drill" McCoy?

Hell yes!

And that's what every single linebacker in the league does when they have a QB in their sights and that's been a fact of football life since the game began. One could argue about whether a linebacker takes a special pleasure out of "drilling" QB's and they'd probably be right about that but that applies to ALL linebackers, not just Harrison.

I think these people drooling about suspensions should just admit that even though they think there's something here -- there isn't.
It was a violent hit, and football's a violent game, but that's all there is to it. There was no evil, no intent to injure (any more than on any other play, at least) and there's no story beyond that.

McCoy just put himself in the wrong place at the wrong time, so stop trying to make this more than it should be and please stop comparing it to Suh's assault.

steelfury02
12-12-2011, 08:20 AM
nuff said:

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s320x320/386320_304603649571632_100000659971747_968509_1938 569131_n.jpg

DoctorCAD
12-12-2011, 08:42 AM
THAT is an understatement. This guy is the Limbaugh of sports.

That's an insult to Rush!

skinart82
12-12-2011, 10:13 AM
This guy is a complete tool!

steelcity1974
12-12-2011, 10:35 AM
"Not only was McCoy concussed, Harrison's illegal action affected the game's outcome. His brains scrambled, McCoy served up a red-zone interception to the Steelers' Willie Gay. The Browns had a chance to take a 10-7 lead with time ticking down. Instead, they lost 14-3."

If anything, the Steelers helped the Browns by knocking McCoy senseless. Wallace delivered a great ball to get them first and goal, but the idiots on the Browns sideline were more focused on McCoy's hand than his "scrambled brains" and decided to put him back in. Not that they would have scored a TD with a healthy McCoy or Wallace, but I'd put more of the blame on the Brown's sideline than Harrison's hit. Harrison has a millionth of a second to realize McCoy was switching back to passer after showing run...the Browns had a heck of a lot more time to assess McCoy before putting him back on the field when he had a concussion...talk about illegal. I say suspend the Browns medical staff or head coach before Harrison. By letter of the law, Harrison's hit was illegal. And it drew a 15 yard penalty...not sure why he should get suspended though.

"Harrison's demeanor after the McCoy hit showed no remorse. He just made excuses. I bet Harrison relished blowing up McCoy. Harrison loved delivering that shot."

Actually, he clearly said something to McCoy after he came back in the game...perhaps asking hey dude are you ok? But I guess that's not remorse to this A-hole.

steelfury02
12-12-2011, 10:39 AM
thank you - no one in the media wants to mention that. No remorse are you kidding me? What else do you want the guy to say? Why would anyone put themselves in a position to get suspended. The guy simply said what he felt AND did even ask Colt if he was okay when he came back into the game.

The guy hasn't had any problems since last season - 16 games since - that isn't long enough? I guaranteed if something wouldnt have happened until beginning of next season people would have said he hadn't learned

he is on everyones radar and people are looking to ride the "anything to keep the Steelers from winning" couch

Whodis
12-12-2011, 11:11 AM
What do you expect from a guy that normally writes shit about the WWE? He's just regurgitating ESPN commentary and putting his DNA on it. Just another clown that saw some highlights and now he want to get a rise out of the locals.

FanSince72
12-12-2011, 11:18 AM
Madden writes:

"Not only was McCoy concussed, Harrison's illegal action affected the game's outcome. His brains scrambled, McCoy served up a red-zone interception to the Steelers' Willie Gay. The Browns had a chance to take a 10-7 lead with time ticking down. Instead, they lost 14-3."

OK Mr. Madden, let's examine this:

What if instead of this particular collision, McCoy got his leg destroyed by a LEGAL tackle as happened to Ben? And then McCoy (because of pain and immobility) threw the very same interception?

Wouldn't THAT have changed the outcome as well?

So what would you be screaming about then? That whoever tackled McCoy should be suspended for rolling up on his leg?

If you go that route, then you could look at every single injury in every single game as somehow affecting the game's outcome and what then? Suspend every player that was involved in causing an injury?

And what about when there's no player involved at all like when a receiver or other player suddenly blows a hammy and can't continue?
Do we then blame his doctor?
Or the alignment of the planets?
The weather?

God?

You know there IS an explanation for such things and it simply known as: "Shit happens".

Get over it.
And get over yourself, while you're at it.

Fire Arians
12-12-2011, 11:34 AM

in other words.....

If it wasn't for losing, the Browns totally would've won.

wera176
12-12-2011, 11:34 AM

Don't have to read past that. Idiot.

By rule, the QB is ALWAYS protected from helmet to helmet hits, as are WRs in the act of catching (or whatever the heck defenseless really means), but everyone else is NOT. As was pointed out, Mendy took one at the goal line right before that, and also mentioned James got some damage to his face from one. Excellent examples.

Whodis
12-12-2011, 11:58 AM
Its safe to say there are different rules for different players
HmyhcozGRr4