PDA

View Full Version : Peter King calls out Wallace; Says Harrison should not be suspended

Raw Steel
12-12-2011, 10:53 AM
Mike Wallace's effort, or lack thereof, blocking on plays he's not involved in.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/12/12/Week14/index.html#ixzz1gL8Tw4G4 (Mike Wallace's effort, or lack thereof, blocking on plays he's not involved in. Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/12/12/Week14/index.html#ixzz1gL8Tw4G4)

James Harrison should not be suspended, but he should be fined. I've watched his scary helmet-to-helmet hit on Colt McCoy 15 times now, and I've listened to his defense. Which is this, basically: Once McCoy tucked the ball under his right arm and began to run, and left the pocket, McCoy appeared to be a runner, and thus could be hit in the helmet by a tackler. (Crazy rule, that runners can be hit helmet-to-helmet in the open field and quarterbacks can't be if they exhibition any intention of passing.)

McCoy, by my count, took five strides with the ball tucked under his arm, and when he and Harrison were about one stride apart, McCoy quickly pulled out the ball and tossed it to a receiver for a completion. I agree with what Harrison said postgame -- when he was coiling to hit McCoy, the quarterback appeared to be a runner.

But the NFL rule does not refer to time when talking about hits on a quarterback. In other words, the rule doesn't say if a quarterback looks to be a runner and at the last second throws a pass, and then is hit in the helmet, it's perfectly legal. The rule simply says you cannot hit a quarterback helmet-to-helmet. And in this case, Harrison clearly had the chance to make his aiming point lower. He could have hit McCoy shoulder pads to ribs, but he chose to aim higher than that. McCoy didn't curl up either.

So while I do not blame Harrison for thinking McCoy was a runner, and I believe it is wholly unfair to indict him for this hit as a cheap shot, I do blame him for where he aimed and where he hit him. There was no need to aim for the helmet. None. The play should result in a good-sized fine -- but it does not rise to the Suh-stomping level of a suspension, even with Harrison's history of NFL fines and discipline.

steelcity1974
12-12-2011, 10:56 AM
He makes a pretty good argument about Harrison.

Whodis
12-12-2011, 11:05 AM
It is surprising to hear about a WR on the Steelers not blocking

DanRooney
12-12-2011, 11:07 AM
I'll take a projected 1,200+ yards and 10 TD receiver who takes away safety over the top over one who has less than half of that and blocks. Just my opinion.

Whodis
12-12-2011, 11:13 AM
I'll take a projected 1,200+ yards and 10 TD receiver who takes away safety over the top over one who has less than half of that and blocks. Just my opinion.

I'm with you.... just surprised that he would be accused of taking plays off

Raw Steel
12-12-2011, 11:13 AM

Why can't he do both? I am not saying King is right. I just never heard anyone else say it.

Steelersfan87
12-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Why can't he do both? I am not saying King is right. I just never heard anyone else say it.

I have, and it's legitimate. He's probably the worst blocker on the offense that isn't a quarterback. Admittedly, it would be nice to see him put more effort into that aspect of the game. It's not like star receivers are given a free pass on this kind of stuff (see Wes Welker or Larry Fitzgerald). I also agree with him about Harrison.

MDSteel15
12-12-2011, 12:17 PM

If he wants to stay here and get a nice contract, he'll F*^&%$G BLOCK!!! :hatsoff:

DanRooney
12-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Not worried about his blocking one bit. He's usually lined up far to the outside.

Emmanuel Sanders is actually a hell of a blocker and supposedly the best route runner. But I've said for a while that I think he's the worst receiver out of the 'Young Money' crew (Which is not really an insult. Wallace and Brown are just that good).

Fire Arians
12-12-2011, 12:47 PM
Not worried about his blocking one bit. He's usually lined up far to the outside.

Emmanuel Sanders is actually a hell of a blocker and supposedly the best route runner. But I've said for a while that I think he's the worst receiver out of the 'Young Money' crew (Which is not really an insult. Wallace and Brown are just that good).

i think sanders will surpass both over time if he can shake the injury bug. if he can stay healthy, at worst, he'll be hines ward v2, this time with 4.4 speed which is always nice.

the one thing that he has that AB doesn't quite have yet is his route running. ben can find him in the end zone a lot quicker than he can brown, and that will be huge in the future.

Steelersfan87
12-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Sanders has the same clutch gene on third downs that Brown has.

Opt2loc
12-12-2011, 01:29 PM
He should get a hefty fine but he won't get suspended.

If he does get suspended it will be because of the rep.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/923184-25-dirtiest-players-in-sports#/articles/923184-25-dirtiest-players-in-sports/page/19

Funny how the girl who put this together is a born and raised Squeeler fan.

bubbletownwr88
12-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Peter King is just a D!ck...all i ever hear him say is crap about the steelers. just as bad as Phil Simms IMO

tanda10506
12-12-2011, 04:57 PM
As for Wallace, I have not payed attention to his blocking. As mentioned already, I rather have his receiving capabilities and have him slack on some blocks, but just because he's a really good receiver and we value his receiving abilities WAY more than his blocking, that doesn't give him a pass. I'd like to see the plays King is basing this on.

As for Harrison, I disagree. You have to look where your going and hit with your head up. McCoy tucked and ran like a RB so he got tackled. Did helmets hit? Yes. Did Harrison launch and try to lead his helmet into McCoys helmet? No. I'm tired of this sissy sh*t, it pisses me off an equal amount when I see the sissy sh*t in a non-Steelers game, ridiculous, I wish the worst for Goodell.

steelfury02
12-12-2011, 06:07 PM
Speaking of this - if player safety is so important and you are capable of consistently and correctly disciplining hits, why is it taking so long to get word on this?

Heck, maybe Goodell is on the phone with the Chiefs and Dolphins telling them who to hire and telling Cowher where to go

Goodell: Hey Bill this is Roger - how's the wife?

Bill: Good Roger, Good as can be expected

Goodell: Great, glad to hear it. Bill, we're close right?

Bill: . . .

Goodell: Great, glad to hear it, listen I'm sure you're aware there are now HC vacancies at Kansas City and Miami and had a few words of advice for you

Bill: Ok Roger, I'm listening . ..

Goodell: Well listen, I know you have some issues with Bill and Robert in New England and would love to take over the Miami job to stick it to him for that whole tape misunderstanding, but listen, we have a bigger situation

Bill: Oh, the tape thing right, you mean the ones you destroyed right?

Goodell: . .. .

Bill: Ok, well, yea what is the bigger situation?

Goodell: I thought you'd never ask! Those Broncos are running the ball, winning a lot of low scoring games and actually making the playoffs playing this way, and my marketing guys say that to maintain our brand goals for 2012 we need to appeal to the Madden-Ball enthusiasts - you know where I'm going with this right?

Bill: Roger, just stop right there - I'm not taking the Chiefs job and turning the team into a pass happy video game team - you're just going to have to be a big boy about this game and let the players play. It is football after all.

Goodell: Well you think you know who you're friends are. I see Bill - well, should you ever find yourself in a conference Championship I may just have to accidentally lift the recording rules again

Bill: Listen, if you want to talk just call my new agent, James

Roger: James? You aren't talking about James Harrison are you? Wait, Bill uh, oh, uh can't we just talk this out - don't get hasty now

fer522
12-12-2011, 07:39 PM
I have, and it's legitimate. He's probably the worst blocker on the offense that isn't a quarterback. Admittedly, it would be nice to see him put more effort into that aspect of the game. It's not like star receivers are given a free pass on this kind of stuff (see Wes Welker or Larry Fitzgerald). I also agree with him about Harrison.

i'm with you bro his blocking skills suck

Atlanta Dan
12-12-2011, 07:45 PM
A subplot that has been simmering is Wallace packing some negative attitude this season (e.g. - the pregame fight (KC?) and lots of chirping from Wallace)

The Steelers gave away Holmes - they may do it again

ricardisimo
12-12-2011, 08:10 PM
I've said it a dozen times, and I'll say it again: Wallace is not coming back. He will cash out like every Steelers receiver since Lipps, with only one notable exception in that time frame.

And honestly, with the emergence of Brown and Sanders, and the stability that Cotchery will bring as well, we won't need to beg for his services. We're basically winning without him already.

steelfury02
12-12-2011, 08:12 PM
subplot about Wallace packing negative attitude? Where have you hear/read this?

wasn't the pre-game scuffle with KC just him getting chippy with the Chiefs defensive players - didn't think it was a big deal based on Tomlin's comments

sorry if I'm being dense - did I miss something regarding Wallace. Have there been specific reports about him being unhappy?

ricardisimo
12-12-2011, 08:18 PM
subplot about Wallace packing negative attitude? Where have you hear/read this?

wasn't the pre-game scuffle with KC just him getting chippy with the Chiefs defensive players - didn't think it was a big deal based on Tomlin's comments

sorry if I'm being dense - did I miss something regarding Wallace. Have there been specific reports about him being unhappy?
I've heard nothing of the sort. Not sure what Dan is referring to. I'm basing my own prediction solely on 30+ year of Steelers tradition with regards to star receivers. Considering how deep we are at the position right now, I doubt next year is the year we break with that tradition.

steelfury02
12-12-2011, 08:24 PM
I agree on what you've said about prior history with receivers

do you think Wallace has done enough to earn top money - especially if he ends up with same stats or a little less/more than last year? Not saying that is everything taken into consideration but if he stays on pace, he doesn't warrant top money IMHO. An upgrade? Heck yes - but not top money.

Also, don't you think if Smith, Ward, Farrior, McFadden, maybe Foote are gone that would open up some money for Wallace?

stb_steeler
12-12-2011, 08:31 PM
I've said it a dozen times, and I'll say it again: Wallace is not coming back. He will cash out like every Steelers receiver since Lipps, with only one notable exception in that time frame.

And honestly, with the emergence of Brown and Sanders, and the stability that Cotchery will bring as well, we won't need to beg for his services. We're basically winning without him already.

I wonder if thats the reasons he's not getting much thrown to him lately. Seems like Browns gettin the load now. :noidea:

steelfury02
12-12-2011, 08:36 PM
eh, I just think Ds have to pick their poison now more than ever

the great ones find ways to have huge days regardless if you are game planning for them or not

that lead changing TD catch v. Ravens is what I'd like to see more of - that was one heck of an effort he had to make to come back across to that side of the end zone to connect with Ben

QCbeauBlak
12-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Other then maybe New England, I don't see another team out there that could use him better than right here.

steelfury02
12-12-2011, 08:47 PM
please don't paint me that nightmare

Wallace, if you leave - go to NFC lol

ricardisimo
12-12-2011, 09:02 PM
Other then maybe New England, I don't see another team out there that could use him better than right here.
I think you've got it backwards; I think most teams in the league could use him more and better than we're using him right now (or New England, who just learned a little lesson about bringing in free agent receivers). You think Holmgren wouldn't pay top dollar for him to be a Brown? Or Seattle? Or Houston, to play him across from Andre?

His options are limitless, and he will get beau coup bucks. Nothing we can do about it except overpay, and I don't see that happening.
:wave:

Steelersfan87
12-12-2011, 09:43 PM
First of all, Wallace is only going to be a restricted free agent next year, so he most likely will be kept around at the minimum of one more year. Then you have Hines Ward retiring and no guarantee that Jerricho Cotchery would re-sign with the Steelers, or if he would, if he would accept a contract that a Steelers team tight against the salary cap could afford.

Secondly, don't be so quick to push him out of the door. The fact of the matter is that a lot of success of the Steelers offense runs through the threat of the Wallace deep ball and teams responding by doubling teaming him and playing the secondary out of the box. This makes everything else the Steelers try to do more successful, and it gives the other receivers more opportunities to succeed against lesser defensive players. I don't think one could say for certain that Brown would be performing as he has been the past 7 weeks without Wallace being there.

I have heard rumblings of Wallace being somewhat disgruntled over his lack of production over the past several weeks, but not in such a way that it is a team distraction; it's more a young player wanting to be able to help his team and not delivering as well as he wants to.

Finally, I think it's hard to predict what the Steelers will do based on their past history. If you were to look at recent history, for example, you would think that the organization would do its best to keep him, as they have been much more consistent with keeping their stars around in the past decade. There is a litany of examples that don't even need to be named, even from just this past offseason.

TRH
12-12-2011, 09:50 PM
He's just not a great blocker, its as simple as that. That doesn't mean he's a criminal.
Regardless, when his time comes to be a free agent, he is going to get GIGANTIC money thrown at him by likely multiple teams.

ricardisimo
12-12-2011, 10:05 PM
He's just not a great blocker, its as simple as that. That doesn't mean he's a criminal.
Regardless, when his time comes to be a free agent, he is going to get GIGANTIC money thrown at him by likely multiple teams.
Exactly. Why would a team deep at the position even attempt to match offers he'll be getting elsewhere? I suppose they could tender him high, but even then I can think of more than a few teams that would consider him a bargain for a 1st-round draft pick. It could also backfire, since he knows he'll be getting the short end of it from the Steelers.

BLACK_AND_YELLOW
12-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Why is everybody already saying Mike Wallace will not be with the steelers next year? only receiver we really have besides Mike is AP cause how many games has Sanders played this year? yeah not that much and Hines will not be here next year and Cotchery IMO will not be back... Mike Wallace will get his payday and he will not be like Holmes we only traded holmes is because we had Mike Wallace on the rise and he was not worth the money even tho he was a super bowl MVP...just stop hating on him cause he is not that great of a blocker SMH he makes plays and the last time i check thats all the really counts.

PhantomJB93
12-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Before Sanders caught the injury bug (which is obviously before Brown broke out), I thought he was better than Brown. Sanders was key on critical/clutch drives last year; I specifically remember both Jets games and the Ravens playoff game, although he didn't have any TDs or "huge" catches, he had a ridiculous amount of 3rd down conversions and was starting to remind me of Santonio in the sense that Ben was finding him in bunches at a time to move down the field in 2 minute drills.

I don't necessarily know that he'll be better than Wallace or Brown are right not but if he can stay healthy our passing game will be ridiculous and Ward should almost never see the field.

steelfury02
12-14-2011, 06:50 AM
even if there is the threat - I think we'll be unloading quite a few names that would get him money

hope Hines makes him realize that the grass isn't always greener if he is even considering it

#1LambertFan
12-14-2011, 06:12 PM
He has rapport with AB and Sanders. Would you leave all your friends behind for the prospect of a higher paying job? That is the question he will be faced with in the future. Life is not all about money

DanRooney
12-14-2011, 09:16 PM

Sanders has emerged? I haven't seen it. People keep talking as if Brown and Sanders are twins. So far all I've seen is average receiver who hasn't really done anything this year. If we get rid of Wallace it would probably be the dumbest thing this franchise has done in the past 10 years.

DanRooney
12-14-2011, 09:26 PM
Why is everybody already saying Mike Wallace will not be with the steelers next year? only receiver we really have besides Mike is AP cause how many games has Sanders played this year? yeah not that much and Hines will not be here next year and Cotchery IMO will not be back... Mike Wallace will get his payday and he will not be like Holmes we only traded holmes is because we had Mike Wallace on the rise and he was not worth the money even tho he was a super bowl MVP...just stop hating on him cause he is not that great of a blocker SMH he makes plays and the last time i check thats all the really counts.

Cotch will take over for Hines. He's pretty much the same receiver but younger.

IowaSteeler927
12-15-2011, 12:16 AM
Sanders was playing good football last season before he was injured. In the little bit of time he has played this year he has played decently as well. He has had the injury bug and has kind of gotten lost on the depth chart behind the likes of Antonio Brown and Jerricho Cotchery because of it. I think we'll see his production go up next year when hopefully he gets back to 100% and gets more chances on the field.

Kanata-Steeler
12-15-2011, 08:51 AM
"... Harrison should NOT be Suspended ..."

AGREED !

soulkitchen
12-15-2011, 09:17 AM
Wallace commands the respect of the defense. Brown is getting the catches because the defenses are overly concerned (with good reason) with the long ball to Wallace. Take Wallace out of the equation and the openings get smaller for Cotchery, Sanders, Ward, Miller, and Brown. Now can another Wallace be had in the draft in the next few years maybe, but if not the then we need to pay Wallace.