PDA

View Full Version : Haley...

BengalDestroyer
12-12-2011, 03:34 PM
Not too long ago we were talking about Norv or Martz as possible replacements for Bruce (if we should need one, and I hope we do soon) But now that Haley is jobless what does everyone think of his abilities as an OC?

Personally I like him, I think he's done great with receivers over the years, and he showed (especially against us, and with a back up QB) that he's very aggresive...

ricardisimo
12-12-2011, 03:38 PM
No.

steelfury02
12-12-2011, 03:48 PM
as much as I bang my head up against the wall, trying to understand why we do what we do on offense at times - my opinion is that Haley's approach w/players is a bit too abrasive to put it nicely and it just isn't a good fit

Sometimes QBs make their OCs look more capable than they are as some of us like to joke about - and I think Haley benefited from having Kurt Warner at QB

FanSince72
12-12-2011, 03:55 PM
Once again, I don't see what the big problem with Arians is.

Don't use the Cleveland game as any kind of barometer because it was the drops, the fumble and the injury that made that game tight and none of those things had anything to do with Arians.

If more balls were caught, if the fumble doesn't happen and if Ben didn't get his leg twisted up, we win that game big and we win early.

steelfury02
12-12-2011, 04:08 PM
yes, Arians has nothing to do with Hines and Miller fumbling, but has everything to do with the 4 straight Mendy goal line plays.

Just throwin that in there to instigate :chuckle:

I just say we are competing so while he is an idiot - he's our idiot or, "go with the evil you know"

Steelersfan87
12-12-2011, 04:17 PM
As said in the other thread, the third down play call was a pass that Ben checked out of, and fourth down was Tomlin's decision to go for it.

Fire Arians
12-12-2011, 04:29 PM
haley's coaching style won't be a good fit in pittsburgh, even cassel didn't want to take his shit

tanda10506
12-12-2011, 04:44 PM
I'll give the due credit that Arians play calling has been decent/good in MOST of the games since Week 4. That being said, I have always hated Arians for his conisistently poor play calling throughout his career with us as OC, and even though he has been doing a lot better since week 4, he still calls some stupid plays. Problem is though that our offense has improved over the last few years and seems to keep getting better. As bad as Arians is, I don't know if I would want to take a risk getting rid of him. It seems that few OC's are actually really good and it's a shot in the dark wether or not our offense would work under a different system. All that said, I will pass on Haley.

steelfury02
12-12-2011, 05:39 PM
this is the most potent offense this group of coaches has worked with and I'm just holding out hope that we win a SB this year and that we are only scratching the surface with this offense's potential

Whodis
12-12-2011, 06:09 PM
This offense is too loaded to be this average.... Arians sucks

FanSince72
12-12-2011, 06:20 PM
this is the most potent offense this group of coaches has worked with and I'm just holding out hope that we win a SB this year and that we are only scratching the surface with this offense's potential

That's exactly the way I see it.

I think the level of talent and the amount of talent has actually taken everyone by surprise and I think they're still trying to figure out how to utilize all of it.

To me, it's like someone who likes to build things and has a few decent tools to work with and is limited to doing small projects suddenly winning an entire shop full of the best power tools in the world. Yeah, it's great to have that happen but it does take some time to get used to having all of that stuff and to realize that they can do a lot more now than just make a few birdhouses or put up a few shelves. But once they get used to it all, it isn't long before they're building kitchen cabinets or additions to their home.

Whodis
12-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Tony Sparano FIRED!!!

So many options

tanda10506
12-12-2011, 06:56 PM
This offense is too loaded to be this average.... Arians sucks

My first post in this thread was I didn't want to take a risk on a new OC since the ofdense is improving. As mentioned, these coaches have never had an offense like this. But the quote makes a good point, it shouldn't take long for this much talent to get to where they play at full potential.

ricardisimo
12-12-2011, 07:59 PM
Once again, I don't see what the big problem with Arians is.

Don't use the Cleveland game as any kind of barometer because it was the drops, the fumble and the injury that made that game tight and none of those things had anything to do with Arians.

If more balls were caught, if the fumble doesn't happen and if Ben didn't get his leg twisted up, we win that game big and we win early.
Yes and no. If something's not working, Arians will stick with it until it does. If something is working, he drops it immediately because the other team will be expecting it. So if the receivers have the dropsies, and meanwhile Rashard seems to be doing alright, guess what he's going to do...

He's going to do his best to get our $100M franchise QB killed, that's what he's going to do.

QCbeauBlak
12-12-2011, 08:33 PM
i actually like Arians plays. I just hate the timing of them as far as when he calls them. If we could keep Arians playbook and someone to help better manage the games offensively, I would be happy. I know that probably isn't possible though.. One thing I don't see as much is our bunch formations. Hines used to be so dangerous out of that set. Now it seems we split two out to one side and run that stupid screen every few plays. What's up with that?

stb_steeler
12-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Yes and no. If something's not working, Arians will stick with it until it does. If something is working, he drops it immediately because the other team will be expecting it. So if the receivers have the dropsies, and meanwhile Rashard seems to be doing alright, guess what he's going to do...

He's going to do his best to get our $100M franchise QB killed, that's what he's going to do.

Yeah kinda reminds me of the Patriots game...Hmmmm lets play man to man then back off when we play other teams.....

JCPsteelers
12-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Todd Haley seems too much of a hothead to be a Steeler coach. I could see him in Balt if the Ratbirds lose their first playoff game if their offense sucks.

There is nothing wrong with the Arians offense. Our best players are the QB and the 3 WRs. Spread it out and throw the ball is what we do.

steelfury02
12-12-2011, 08:54 PM
yikes - what a difference in personality - Flacco's passive personality with Haley breathing down his neck? I'm not sure that would work or in some bizarre way maybe Flacco needs fire and brimstone to push him to the next level. Who knows, the guy has learned to beat us so can't say much about him anymore. Still has to prove himself in single elimination though.

That would be like Zorn and Brady together

Zorn: Are you ok Tom? Are you comfortable with this play? Need me to get you a water?
Brady: How the heck did I get stuck with you?

FanSince72
12-12-2011, 09:23 PM

LOL! Maybe so.

All I know is that it's usually wise to be careful what you wish for.
We could get rid of Arians and end up with another Joe Walton or Tom Moore, in which case you'd probably be offering to pay Arians yourself if he'd just come back.

Just sayin'...

ricardisimo
12-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Well, it's not like our offense under Arians has been setting the world on fire. Bruce is OK in terms of yardage, but even there we've cracked the top 10 once in his tenure. In terms of points, rushing consistency and red zone efficiency, we couldn't do much worse with me at OC than with Arians. And I don't know shit about shite.

Neil-Still-Rules-14
12-12-2011, 09:36 PM
yes, Arians has nothing to do with Hines and Miller fumbling, but has everything to do with the 4 straight Mendy goal line plays.

Just throwin that in there to instigate :chuckle:

I just say we are competing so while he is an idiot - he's our idiot or, "go with the evil you know"

Well Ben couldn't roll out, and you would THINK Mendenhall could score from 2 yards out.

Fire Arians
12-12-2011, 10:01 PM
i dont think haley would be a good answer, he's the same coach that only runs the ball 13 times when jamaal charles is averaging 8+ yards per carry

ricardisimo
12-12-2011, 10:09 PM
i dont think haley would be a good answer, he's the same coach that only runs the ball 13 times when jamaal charles is averaging 8+ yards per carry
That sounds like continuity to me. :chuckle:

OX1947
12-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Haley might be one of the most immature schmucks I have seen coach in the NFL. His attitude is like a child version of Tom Coughlin.

FanSince72
12-13-2011, 08:45 AM
Well, it's not like our offense under Arians has been setting the world on fire. Bruce is OK in terms of yardage, but even there we've cracked the top 10 once in his tenure. In terms of points, rushing consistency and red zone efficiency, we couldn't do much worse with me at OC than with Arians. And I don't know shit about shite.

OK, let's say all of that is true.

But if, at the end of the day, we win the game then what difference does any of that make?

As far as I'm concerned, statistics don't mean beans. If we score just one point more than the other team, then we win. That is the only stat that interests me.

The record books are full of teams and individual players who have the most gaudy numbers in the game and yet have never won a championship. Dan Marino virtually wrote the book on QB stats and is arguably one of the best QB's to play the game but the biggest stat in his career is the huge ZERO in the SB column.

On the other side of the coin is Terry Bradshaw. If you look up his career numbers, he doesn't even appear in the top ten in most of the so-called "important" categories, yet he won 4 SB's in six years and that particular record still stands and will likely never be broken.

Yes, it would be nice if we had some impressive numbers in terms of yards-per-carry, or yards-per-catch, or TD's and so on. But none of those numbers are as important as the one that says we scored one single point more than our opponent when the clock runs out in the Super Bowl.

THAT is the only stat that matters.

Stats don't win games; scoring more points than your opponent does that and that's all I care about.

steelfury02
12-13-2011, 08:52 AM
yea - Ben checked to a run because he couldn't run/roll out - but Mendenhall can only score if makes something out of nothing in that instance

The Browns did a good job of blowing up the line and the lead blocker so let's not think in a vacuum here - not everyone is a HOF running back. There are more than 1 individual involved in the success/failure of a running play

Whodis
12-13-2011, 09:46 AM
yea - Ben checked to a run because he couldn't run/roll out - but Mendenhall can only score if makes something out of nothing in that instance

The Browns did a good job of blowing up the line and the lead blocker so let's not think in a vacuum here - not everyone is a HOF running back. There are more than 1 individual involved in the success/failure of a running play

or do you mean success/failures of running plays

We rank 16th in red zone

Not too bad for our "high powered" offense

LVSteelersfan
12-13-2011, 10:35 AM
I have said forever that between the 20s Arians is lights out. But he can't seem to get his head out of his butt in the red zone. Where the heck was Redman on that goal line. He is the one who should be in there on the goal line. Mendenhall does not have it when it comes to busting it up the middle. He loses yardage almost every time up the gut. He doesn't have the instinct to find the small gaps you need to get to daylight. Redman has shown that he does. But we see Mendenhall or Moore in there in situations where Redman would be perfect. I hate Arians red zone play calling.

Merchant
12-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Not a fan of Haley whatsoever. It's similar to how I feel about Josh McDaniels.. they both may be decent offensive coordinators. But they're punks. They annoy the hell out of me with their antics. No need for that in Pittsburgh.

BengalDestroyer
12-13-2011, 02:45 PM
as much as I bang my head up against the wall, trying to understand why we do what we do on offense at times - my opinion is that Haley's approach w/players is a bit too abrasive to put it nicely and it just isn't a good fit

Sometimes QBs make their OCs look more capable than they are as some of us like to joke about - and I think Haley benefited from having Kurt Warner at QB

That's a good point, something I didn't take into consideration. That's what I get for looking at just the numbers...

truesteelerfan
12-13-2011, 05:36 PM
I would take him- or any of you on this board over Bruce.